147 replies to this topic

#1 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:19 AM

Okies one guy reported for telling the enemy where I was at but that led me to this idea.

Why not mute the dead from talking in the all channel and restrict them to the team only channel until such time as the match is over. This will eliminate Benedict Arnolds in the ranks. I am just getting so tired of trying to pull a match off only to have someone report my position and NOTHING BEING DONE ABOUT IT as I keep seein the same people over and over doing it and reported multiple times

This is really becoming an epidemic. People think that because your the last mech agasint 4 you will auto lose when that is far from the truth depending on the last mechs status vs theirs.

Thoughts?

#2 Haike

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

You must be one hell of a **** to warrant people reporting your location. I've never seen this happen except to people who deserves it.

I do not agree with your suggestion for a second reason. It is needed to tell the enemy where your team AFKs are so that you can get the round over already.

#3 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

This has been suggested many, many times. Dead can only talk to dead and living to living. Pretty sure Russ even commented on looking into it what... a year ago?

#4 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

People always report location even if you are not avoiding or camping. The dead should not be able to talk on all chat. AFKs happen....the game timer is 15 mins. Be prepared to drop for 15 mins.

#5 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostHaike, on 23 May 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

You must be one hell of a **** to warrant people reporting your location. I've never seen this happen except to people who deserves it.

I do not agree with your suggestion for a second reason. It is needed to tell the enemy where your team AFKs are so that you can get the round over already.

No this happens roughly 1/3 the time honestly. Sure sometimes some guy is running around in his stick mech trying to hide, and there are DC's etc. but there is plenty of times someone is trying to put some distance between them and the enemy to attempt some sniping or to see if the enemy will split up and some ******* tells the enemy where he is going.

IMO, the match timer takes care of the "DC ********" anyway, otherwise why have a timer? All in all this is a touchy subject and I think sometimes the players are being {Richard Cameron} and other times it is legitimate.

#6 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:50 AM

Never seen it in any cases, other then reporting player, who intentionally hides to preserve his K/D and wastes both teams' time, non participates in core game mechanics, i.e. violates rules of the game by himself.

Most memorable case happened with me on Canyon Network map: I died, when 3-4 team mates were still fighting and started to spectate them and noticed one guy, who was walking back to our spawns at C1 instead of helping my team. Fist I didn't thought, that it was significant - may be he was trying to flank, may be he was noob, may he lost. But after he became the only one player, left on my team, I noticed, that he is going along the edge of the map right to F3/F4 corner with clear intention to hide there and shutdown. He got critical damage and didn't wanted to just die with honor. Yea. May be it was my fault, that I reported him to other team even before he managed to hide, but his intention to hide and preserve his K/D was so clear (he actually started to "hide" even before my team actually lost this match), that I just couldn't restrain myself and reported him immediately.

Edited by MrMadguy, 23 May 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#7 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

>Never seen it in any cases, other then reporting player, who intentionally hides to preserve his K/D and wastes both teams' time, non participates in core game mechanics, i.e. violates rules of the game by himself.

lolwhat

how it violates the rules

if anything, it's informing where that player is violates the rules and generally the fair play

you have more than 1 mech quiaff? so quit and pick another mech

p.s. i play conquest only so i dislike you not because i'm doing something like those people but because you are a bad teammate to have

also i agree it would be nice if dead people had /all blocked

#8 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:27 AM

Disagree.

1) It's nice for the dead to be able to report where they died and what killed them since this game lacks any sort of automated distress beacon or anything.

2) Dead folks can spectate and offer useful advice to new players

3) Dead folks can report disconnects and AFK's, ending matches quicker.

4) Quite frankly, the only times I've seen the dead give away somebody's location was when that person was being a tool and dragging the match out. The usual nonsense - simply running away, hiding and shutting down, etc.

#9 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:33 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 23 May 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

>Never seen it in any cases, other then reporting player, who intentionally hides to preserve his K/D and wastes both teams' time, non participates in core game mechanics, i.e. violates rules of the game by himself.

lolwhat

how it violates the rules

if anything, it's informing where that player is violates the rules and generally the fair play

you have more than 1 mech quiaff? so quit and pick another mech

p.s. i play conquest only so i dislike you not because i'm doing something like those people but because you are a bad teammate to have

also i agree it would be nice if dead people had /all blocked

Persistent non-participation in core game mechanics.

This game isn't about hiding - it's about fighting till death. Not fighting - non-participation in game mechanics. Want to hide - go play hide-and-seek.

#10 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

I've seen games where the last guy is basically a derp that contributed nothing to game,runs off and shutsdown somewhere, this is skirmish mode, calling the guys position out in this situation IS the right thing to do.
But those games where the last guy left on your team is in a firestarter, is a good pilot and has some sort of gameplan to spread out whats left of the remaining team and try to pick em off, yeah theres always one derp A-hole who imediately calls out the guys position saying the game is over, its not! the last guy on your team deserves a chance to try and pull a win.

#11 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

My first objection would be, no one is dead, their Mech is destroyed, that's all, so why can't they communicate? WE, the players, don't die in this game, our Mechs get taken out is all, and that's something PGI was clear on since the first announcements of this game.

Second would that be most of us don't give out locations, we give our teammates info however, and have literally helped the last guy pull of a win by giving him intel.

If someone gives your location away, support@mwomercs.com , email them, give them the name of the player, the map and the time of the drop. They'll deal with it.

#12 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

Skirmish mode actually needs "enrage timer" implemented in game itself as special mechanic (like capping in Assault) to avoid "manual" reporting of teammates' position in order to prevent players from wasting time and non-participating in core Skirmish mechanic, i.e. fighting till death - let's say after 10 minutes all positions of all 'Mechs on the map should be opened. It's like blinds in poker, that encourage players to play more aggressively and avoid "starvation" tactics: don't want game to became uncontrollable - win it before "enrage" will happen. Can't? It's your problems.

Edited by MrMadguy, 23 May 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

I've seen it happen one time when undeserved, and the "friendly" that Blue Falcon'd our last man cost us the win during a Conquest match. Reported the s*** out of that guy.

But, yes, overall, there's nothing terribly wrong with giving the enemy team the locations of AFKs and DCs. It's technically a code of conduct violation, but no one in the community frowns on it. It's Blue Falconing out guys that are still actively trying to win (or at least find a way to let a few guys get assists, even if off of base turrets).

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 23 May 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

I reported him to other team even before he managed to hide, but his intention to hide and preserve his K/D was so clear (he actually started to "hide" even before my team actually lost this match), that I just couldn't restrain myself and reported him immediately.

Direct quote from MWO Rules of Conduit:

Team Treason
Treasonous provision of information to enemy combatants, also known as "bird-doging" is forbidden. This involves a player using the in-game chat to provide the enemy team with the locations of their own team mates. While we appreciate that some players may wish to have a round end early by calling out the location of an AFK team-mate, the risk that this could be used against an active participant of the match to deny them the use of cover and movement makes this a form of a griefing. You may declare a teammate AFK but not their coordinates or position.

#15 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Ummm no

Some of the responses in this thread are interesting.

1. Reporting a player's location is a violation of the ToS

2. It happens on a frequent basis mainly because the lone guys is trying to make a come back rarely does he but at times it does happen

3. People do not seem to understand when the last mech is a light he needs the enemy to spread out a bit so he can play his game.

4. I am not talking about folks who run hide and shut down with no intentions of fighting

5. About the AFK and DC rule. Simple if at the end of the match your last mech on the team is a DC them game ends right then and there. In regards to an AFK'er yeah I got nohting.

The point is this is a problem in the game system that needs to be addressed. And when reported and verified PGI needs to come down HARD on them.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 23 May 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#16 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

Its against the TOS to report a player's location -- report them, take a screen shot and send it to support@mwomercs.com.

Only dickheads do this because they are too impatient to wait for another player to try to maneuver and maybe get themselves another kill.

(In my case I had one match were I got 8 after everyone else was dead and QQIng about me wasting their time)... and yes, I believe I may still have the SS

#17 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

eh. it's fine to let them know where someone trying to duck out of the fight is when they're the last one left and just dragging the match out for their K/D

maybe you ought to stop hanging in the back and letting your team get slaughtered if being the last man standing against the enemy is so common for you, op.

#18 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

Ghosting has been a problem in multiplay games for a long time.
It has always been considered illegal in any competitive leagues from as far back as CounterStrike.

Locking it out of chat and voice once a player dies so anything he types or says on his mic is not visible or audible to the remaining players would be a nice first step.

But there are always ways around it, Teamspeak or other voice clients, and when steam hits, its background message system will completely circumvent it.

Ghosting is lame, but the effort involved for PGI to fix it is pretty much pointless.

#19 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostRagtag soldier, on 23 May 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

eh. it's fine to let them know where someone trying to duck out of the fight is when they're the last one left and just dragging the match out for their K/D

maybe you ought to stop hanging in the back and letting your team get slaughtered if being the last man standing against the enemy is so common for you, op.

LOL Spoken like someone who does not play lights.

I live in the back, I am not a front line mech, thats the fatties job. My job is to get to teh side and to the rear and then GTFO before they know I am there.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 23 May 2015 - 10:07 AM, said:

2. It happens on a frequent basis mainly because the lone guys is trying to make a come back rarely does he but at times it does happen

My experience is different. It is not frequent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users