54 replies to this topic

#1 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

A combination of wait times (personal gaming time has gotten very intermittent, so no patience for saturated queues and personal preference has created an interesting situation where this game is now PantherWarrior Online for me.

I think my personal progression, well, as far back as I can remember, (been at this since CB wave 1 :( ) , my goto ride has evolved from

Jenner (for a good looooong time), Founder's JR7-D
Commando (TDK's fault)
K2,
Phract, Ilya and/or 3D
Victor, any of the twentys
Shawk, -2D Please
BlackJack, Boomjacks and Fastjacks
Timberwolf (but that doesn't even really count),
Firestarter (another long stretch),
Yen Lo, (Off and on between comp matches this is my relaxation hero)
annnd Panther. 10P, hope the requirk is kind to it, this mech is my current happy place.

Many of my friends and teammates Master their mechs doggedly, just sticking with a chassis until it's done. I'm entirely too flighty and self-gratifying to have that much of a work ethic, but when I find a chassis variant that 'clicks' then for a long time I'm stuck in it. How do you describe that? It just "feels" right?

What has been the evolution of your chassis preference and how do you decide what pilot couch is going to have the most finish worn off of it; or if you're aren't the type of MechWarrior to get attached to certain mechs for long stretches, then how do you determine what your preferred ride is?.... okay I really don't have a nailed down question (been up 22 hours and counting... crazy crazy night), just... discuss.

#2 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

I am just grinding Cbills at the moment.
For better hit reg and carryability the Wolverine 6R is the way to go.

#3 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

Primary light - Mist lynx. Actually started to like this tin can. Fun fighting the odds!

Medium - Nova - Always thought it looked cooler than that fugly stormcrow. I also like it's low profile.

Heavy - Used to be k2, then the TBR, but now the Ebon Jaguar - Looks like an uziel from the front. Has good high hardpoints. Like the cockpit as well.

Assault - Only have one - The Direwolf which was mastered like 2 days ago. Like my UAC10/5 direwolf. Don't really like the Metawolf has much.

Edited by W A R K H A N, 04 July 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#4 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

The CN9-AH(L) I haven't piloted a Centy since UI 1.0 was a thing, but I am loving this guy. My first 6 or so drops SUCKED. Once I learned how to move it better (and put basics on it), it really started paying off.

I named him Galahad for lack of imagination on my part at the time, but he's lived up to it. Whenever I charge with it, I feel like that AC 20 is a lance, or a spear, and the first poor sod to stand in my way gets the pointy end, right in the face.

When farming Elites for an entire chassis (three variants that need them) I first start by getting the daily double bonus on each variant. Then I drop in one variant, until I lose a match badly. Swap to the next, keep going until I am bored, or horrible defeat. Rinse repeat, and before you know it, you have all the XP you need.

#5 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

My "primary" was HGN-732 and 733C and they still beat all of my other 'Mechs in time played. I think I played HGN everyday back then lol. Nowadays I take my Wave III 'Mechs out from time to time to elite them. Haven't touched my HGNs again for a long time.

#6 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

i'm constantly trying to master whatever unmastered mechs I have so i'm too focused on getting the x2 daily win to really have a primary.

I suppose when I comes to events/tourneys the KTO 18 is my goto mech, with the grif 3M, hunchy 4sp and cent AH (L) filling in from time to time.

have all of 3 assaults so no goto anything there- I suppose the king crab (L) if I was forced to use one

lights I have a lot of them. like the locusts but can't really call them a goto mech. Jenner F was the goto light for a while, then it became the oxide- though my Urbie 60 is in the running as well.

don;t have many more heavies either but I guess Jager-S wins there.

#7 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

My primaries USED to be Thunderbolt 5S (LRM20 and MPLs) and Quickdraw 4G (SRM4s and MLs), but now i can't really play them anymore. I mean, with the 70% Heavy mech queues, i can barely get into a game with them, so nowadays, i mostly run the Centurion AH (AC20 and SRM4s) or one of my Urbies.

#8 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

Mine = Dual Gauss Yager.

I'm more effective in lots of mechs, especially my StormCrow, EbonJag and my Stalkers, but the pinpoint deadliness and squishiness of the Yager resonates with me.

That mech rewards patience, steady nerves and good positioning, and punishes mistakes almost immediately. A single missed shot is cause for gritting your teeth, and headshots against DireWolves and MadCats are the very definition of catharsis.

#9 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 04 July 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

A combination of wait times (personal gaming time has gotten very intermittent, so no patience for saturated queues and personal preference has created an interesting situation where this game is now PantherWarrior Online for me.

I think my personal progression, well, as far back as I can remember, (been at this since CB wave 1 :( ) , my goto ride has evolved from

Jenner (for a good looooong time), Founder's JR7-D
Commando (TDK's fault)
K2,
Phract, Ilya and/or 3D
Victor, any of the twentys
Shawk, -2D Please
BlackJack, Boomjacks and Fastjacks
Timberwolf (but that doesn't even really count),
Firestarter (another long stretch),
Yen Lo, (Off and on between comp matches this is my relaxation hero)
annnd Panther. 10P, hope the requirk is kind to it, this mech is my current happy place.

Many of my friends and teammates Master their mechs doggedly, just sticking with a chassis until it's done. I'm entirely too flighty and self-gratifying to have that much of a work ethic, but when I find a chassis variant that 'clicks' then for a long time I'm stuck in it. How do you describe that? It just "feels" right?

What has been the evolution of your chassis preference and how do you decide what pilot couch is going to have the most finish worn off of it; or if you're aren't the type of MechWarrior to get attached to certain mechs for long stretches, then how do you determine what your preferred ride is?.... okay I really don't have a nailed down question (been up 22 hours and counting... crazy crazy night), just... discuss.

Well, as you know..

My first primary were Ravens
then moved onto firestarters
then kit fox and summoners
now its Adders and Enforcers (adders are, and have always been, vastly underrated by the community...they're great little mechs)

#10 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

I only have few champions.
i don't find other mechs just not attractive enough and looking way to human to ever use.

so i have following,
CPLT-J, K2 + CPLT-A1(C)
Stalker-M
X5
KCB-0001
------------
Nova (P)
Timber (P)
Warhawk (P)

i got my eyes on Ebon but i feel rip off with the Resistance pack in December that i sworn never to spend a single coin ingame again.

also i asked Dev to remove all the Resistance 2 mechs but then have not done that. (freaking hate those mechs)

#11 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

I really liked the Centurion CN9-A but since the Phoenix Pack was released the Shadow Hawk 2H(P) took its place and has Jump Jets on top.

The setup i had back in the Centurion days as well as the Centurion itself got nerfed (for pretty much no reason aside of Player-Politcs) several times and has only a fraction of the combat value it once had left while Mechs were released left and right that surpass even its original value by far (like if Matterhorn became Devils Horn while the Mount Everest was released).

First the SHD 2H(P) had a similar Setup than my Centurion as Anti-Light Guard with 3x SSRM2, LL (2xML on the CN9-A), AC5 or U/AC5 or AC10 depending if i used a XL-Engine which was possible bcs we had no Clan Tech that time and thus a higher surviveability.

The lethality of the Mech combat increased while the Cent got Hitbox adjustments which gave it weaker Torso-Hitboxes on top of its already notoriously weak Legs while IS Streak-SRM2 also got nerfed again leaving them (and we talk about IS-SSRM2 and not Clan-SSRM6) with no lethal power.

While i found a working alternative setup for my Shadow Hawk (AC10, SRM10(4+4+2), 2xJJ, 87kph Std Engine) utilizing its high mounted Hardpoints with very good success there was nothing i could do with the CN9-A as i do not like to put 3xSRM6 into it and run around as armless backstabbing SRM Zombi that gets legged as soon someone shots at me and i have not seen this once quite popular setup since an eternity.

Thats pretty much the story of a Mech that was stomped over by the time - you see some of the AC20 capable variants now and then and as long they can hide themself from becoming a target the AC20 makes them perform ok bcs an IS AC20 lifts a Mech up and above its inherent combat value as long the weapon range does not matter (and even then the AC20 is better than SRM).

So the SHD-2H(P) took its place and the CN9-A was put to rest (and finally sold).
The Thunderbolt 5S(P) and the Cicada 3M now come at playing rank 2 and 3 while the Centuion still is the Mech with the most played matches.

Centurion (All) = ~6000 matches including statistically not by PGI/MWO recorded Beta
Centurion CN9-A = ~5000 matches
Shadw Hawk 2H(P) = ~4000 matches
Thunderbolt 5S(P) = ~1100 matches
Cicada 3M = ~ 800 matches

RIP my dear CN9-A :(

Edited by Thorqemada, 04 July 2015 - 11:45 PM.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 04 July 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

stuff

Well, back in CB, I bought a Founder's pack, with the Hunchy.
Sucked miserably in it, upgraded to Legendary, started using the Atlas and Catapult.
Pretty quickly got cbills (even with RnR only idiots couldn't make a billion back in CB between wipes), and started to buy CN9s and AWS.

So for all of Closed Beta, my Goto became the CN9-AH, with a side of AWS-8R SRMboat.
Then the AH was killed off, and the YLW was introduced.
That became my goto mech until the VTR-9S (Brawler only).
Then Project Phoenix arrived, and I swapped to the SHD-2D2, especially after the Nerfening of the VTR.
Since then, I had some flings with CN9D/As, VNDs, GRFs, etc. But started to rediscover my old HBK-4G(F).
And then the Quirkening, and it's still to this day, the HBK-4G(F), followed by my 4J, CN9-D and A. (And runner up for Urbie!!!!)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 04 July 2015 - 08:06 AM.

#13 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

I'm using myself a Raven 4x. I took off the JJ's and strapped an AC/20 to it. I dont have much ammo, but you're definitely aware when I make contact. I feel like im terrible at it but its my best mech thus far lol!

#14 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostShinVector, on 04 July 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:

I am just grinding Cbills at the moment.
For better hit reg and carryability the Wolverine 6R is the way to go.

But are you emotionally attached to it?

View PostW A R K H A N, on 04 July 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

... Fun fighting the odds!

This has kept me interested in soo many mechs. "Real" mechwarriors wouldn't whip out a new chassis on a whim, they'd have to make do with the machine they had and overcoming design shortcomings is a big part of the fun!

...Nova - Always thought it looked cooler than that fugly stormcrow....

Agree 100%. I purchased a single Stormcrow, basic'd it, then sold it in disgust.

... Ebon Jaguar.... Like the cockpit as well.

THIS! Is one of the biggest (and probably dumbest) criteria for how comfortable I can get in a mech; how much I like the cockpit! Seriously, if it looks cool on the inside (with the Fov cranked wide of course), then I'm much more likely to care about it enough to git gud. On that same note the Stormcrow's cockpit reminded me way too much of Hawken. <_<

Assault - Only have one ...

King Crab for me, I actually have a small stable of Assaults but never play any of them except occasional forays in a Gauss Crab. I usually pop in to whatever weight class has the shortest queue, which is usually lights/mediums and ooooccasionally assaults.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 04 July 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

The CN9-AH(L) I haven't piloted a Centy since UI 1.0 was a thing, but I am loving this guy.

http://mwomercs.com/...ot/page__st__20

Add to the war stories IW. :)

View PostTanar, on 04 July 2015 - 05:42 AM, said:

i'm constantly trying to master whatever unmastered mechs I have so i'm too focused on getting the x2 daily win to really have a primary.

Yea yea! See?! My buds are like that... and they get soo much accomplished. And are arguably better at this game than me.
...my sticktoitiveness is ... leaking, or something. Despite what hasn't gotten it's XP double for the day or what I "need" to be working on, I usually just mosey over to my current dalliance and leave it at that.

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 04 July 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

I mean, with the 70% Heavy mech queues, i can barely get into a game with them,

I totally feel that pain man, that's what made me respecialize in lights.

View PostKiiyor, on 04 July 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

Mine = Dual Gauss Yager.

I'm more effective in lots of mechs, .. but the pinpoint deadliness and squishiness ... resonates with me.

...rewards ... and punishes ... the very definition of catharsis.

That's it. That's it exactly. That's when you become a Jager pilot, instead of a pilot who sometimes drives Jagers (or whichever chassis if your own).

View PostBulletsponge0, on 04 July 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

Well, as you know..

Sponge, don't try to act like you were ever a tyro/newbie/rookie. <_<

View PostThorqemada, on 04 July 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

RIP my dear CN9-A :(

Requirking coming Thorqe, you need to buy that 9-A back!

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

snip

Bishop I applaud the general effluvia of class 20 AC in that list.

View PostXhazahh, on 04 July 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

I feel like im terrible at it but its my best mech thus far lol!

Sounds like the start of a meaningful relationship. Keep it up.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 04 July 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

Bishop I applaud the general effluvia of class 20 AC in that list.

yeah, looking back, only real exception was the Shadowhawk, where I ran a UAC5, 2x ML and 4x SSRM2.

Even when I went on my JM6 binge which I forgot to list, it was mostly a BoomJager.

#16 Zodal

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

I think it's always going to be the Jagermech.

The high mounted weapons have spoiled me.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

What's a primary? ;)

My sig is basically my history. RVN-3L then JR7-F, now FS9-S with a heaping side of CDA-2B.

Wub all the things.

Edited by Terciel1976, 04 July 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#18 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

The Jester. I love it. Too bad it's so ugly I had to paint it black.

#19 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

I don't have primaries, i play the mech that i can't remember playing last. Ill change the laodout for fun and then maybe play it the whole night or change again.

But like OP the waiting time queue strongly take me away from heavy. Im due to play heavy next week though.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

I do vary it up some based on Queues and Mood.

But by weight class: Urbanmech-60L, Hunchback-4G, Cataphract-0XP, and Zeus-6S are my first choice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users