Toxic Community - Way To Flag As New?

91 replies to this topic

#41 Gungnir888

Rookie

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

Wow, I didn't expect this much response. I sincerely thank everyone for their time.

I shouldn't have let it bother me. It is the only time I've seen more than 1-2 players complaining in a match. If the quality of the forum posters are any indication, I feel far more confident this is a rare occurrence.

Thanks for the encouragement!

#42 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

It will happen. There will be those who spend their time cutting people down online, just as they do in RL. Abusive and constant foul language, screenshot it and send it to PGI.

There will be other times when someone says something that is out of character for them but if what they say still falls in the abusive/foul language, report them.

There has been a few times I have spoken out of line, such as one match where I half-heartedly cheered on one opponent who was engaged with one of our last two team members left alive, to finish him off. Even though a few other team mates said some negative things before and afterwards, due to how that particular brawl was going, it still should not have been said. Afterwards I thought about why the particulars and the way it happened, anywhere from a low FPS system to joystick usage to bad packet loss. I did not feel good about myself.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 October 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#43 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

LRM's may be percieved as a noob weapon but it is one of the hardest weapons for a new player to learn (getting over that first steep learning curve tell it levels out) and barely anyone has mastered it after that long leveling out it goes quite quite much more higher and steeper LRM's is a hard weapon to master and it is hard to use effectively in all situations.

However it is seen as a noob weapon because of the simple fact you do not need line of sight to hit something. (which is silly because you only need to explode 5 to 10% of a jagermech to shoot over a ridge with gauss and sit there the whole game but aparently that's not noobish or cowardly...)

LRM's is one of the most hated weapons in game. Some people think it's OP and is a cancer, other people think it's underpowered and a laughing matter, no mater what it is. People usually think down on you if it is "your" fault for lossing the game if you are an LRM boat. even if you do the most damage, the most kills, the most kill assist, highest match score, or what ever. and seeing the situation at hand I do not think you would have done well as the stalkers worst nightmare is a light.

I do apologies that you got hit by the bitter end of a long lasting hate stick in battletech- specifically mechwarrior online. But not all players are like that (in terms of openly insulting you) and there are people who are there to help.

I may ask about your stalker build as a single medium laser seems a bit light, I do run LRM builds on that mech so I kind of want to check it out for possible optimisation I could also help you out in possible situations like these.

however LRM boating isn't the best way to start a game. Generally a medium to short ranged heavy or medium mech is my idea of a good starter mech, or a mixed ranged mech if you got the basics of fire discipline (ie do not fire machine guns at 1000 meters, do not fire ER PPC at 40 meters, etc) This way you can be more directly engaged in combat as well as be near other people to see how they perform. Because LRM'ing requires good knowledge on player behavour, team work, maps, targets, etc....

#44 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

"I'm sorry angry guido...I tried."

I choked on the cup of coffee I was drinking and laughed so hard I actually had tears.

Hey OP, this is how you will be in a few months. It used to annoy me, but now Its not MWO if some moron isn't yelling at his team after he failed and died. Comedy gold.

After a few such instances, you'll begin to smirk at the idiotic rage of That Guy who thinks screaming at people from the grave is going to help them play any better.

They can be fun to troll too.

#45 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostGungnir888, on 02 October 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

Hello,

I am a founder. I love mechwarrior, I stalked and funded various fan rebuilds over the dark ages. Not the novel series, but the period where nobody was able to put on their neurohelmet and fire the ignition. I was disappointed by the early release, and left MWO during beta.

Last week, I decided to come back. I find myself rethinking that decision at this point. Since my return, I have roughly 60 matches to my name. I score between 80 and 300 points depending on how derp I feel that particular match.

Until tonight, I haven't had an issue with the community. I was LRM boating in a STK, and the final kill came down to me and a light mech. I had one medium laser at my disposal. I did not perform well, and we did not win the match.

It's the internet, and a thick skin should come with the territory, but the constant barrage of how terrible I was playing was a new experience for me. I try to keep a low key involvement in something until I understand what I'm doing. I thought LRMs and watching how players engage each other might be a soft entrance into the game.

For the first time in over 20 years of internet gaming, the comments from the community drove me away. World of Warcraft literally exhibits better behavior to new players.

I don't want to suck, and I'm not normally a twitch gamer. Is having half a dozen players shouting at you in a match normal behavior?

Outside of a rant and a breather, my point was to determine if there is an easy way to flag myself as a noob. It doesn't solve a toxic community, but at the very least it might allow experienced players to identify those that would be amenable to constructive criticism.

come on, you had one game when somebody said you that playing lrm assaults is silly and you already react so strong?

#46 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

"however LRM boating isn't the best way to start a game."

I disagree strongly with this. I started with LRMs, had a blast with them, and found them to be very effective against other new players. It also helped me by playing in the back line and watching how my team played, especially when the maps were new to me. And you need to learn how LRMs work so you can better learn how to avoid them.

LRMs were effective for about 4 months of play for me (20hrs a week). If you enjoy them, keep using them now, because when you get into the higher levels of play they are no longer effective. You're going to get a lot of damage (cbills!) and not many kills, so its that damage number you should watch - when it starts to drop and consistently deliver subpar damage, you'll know its time to stop bringing LRMs.

Along the way, you'll want to add the Adv Target Decay module (holds locks longer) and learn to use TAG to tighten LRM spread and disable enemy ECM. This will keep LRMs useful for you awhile longer. A few tips:

1) carry decent backup weapons, more than just 2 medium lasers, my LRM40 Stalker has 4 + TAG.
2) don't waste ammo firing at long range, LRMs are easy to dodge at that range
3) stick with your group, don't get caught alone or light pilots like me will eat you for dinner
4) learn to engage with LRMs inside of 500 meters, you'll land more on target
5) BAP is a must, missile boat should always carry it

#47 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

i personally like when enemy has an lrm stalker, they pop so nicely when you destroy their side torso (:

anyway, assaults generally are bad for lrm boats, they are too slow to quickly change their position (well unless you are an lrm warhawk, it's probably the best lrm assault), they have firepower comparable to medium lrm mechs and they rob their team of their heavy armor

if you want to play lrm use hunchback 4j with 2 lrm-10 or something

#48 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

If you feel that you're a new player, the best thing you can do for me is type in chat that you are new. When that happens, I tend to look at what mech your driving and if I'm in something compatible I'll move to your side and try to keep you alive.

All too often however, I will be either writing or using comms to try to give players advice or constructive criticism. Unfortunately a lot of times I get no response and the player just keeps doing what he's been doing. Which is really annoying because I am trying to keep him alive.

So what I guess I'm saying is let your team know right away that you're new, and use comms or at the very least stay close to your team mates and try to keep an eye on any advice that you see in chat.

#49 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostAlienized, on 03 October 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

sadly, alot of these young kids play better than the old folks that should know how to play. at least strategical wise. but its not happening here with all the BT wisdom in them. they try to be smart and fail miserably to push into enemies when it needs to be done.

sometimes you got to be rambo to win. just no one wants to be that guy taking the the first step, knowing its gonna be a rough ride. not even in a game they want to do that. pity the fools that risk nothing.
no battle ever been won without a sacrifice. at least support the guy thats doing it, its all im asking for because im that guy each time which sickens me.

Fair enough. Just don't call me a p***y for going and doing the one thing I'm okay at, which is reconnaissance. Sorry. Don't have the nerve for the brawl. I do alright in my SCRs, but the mech is much better than I am. Look at my tier. I've been playing on and off for three years, and there I am struggling to get out of tier 4.

#50 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 04 October 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Fair enough. Just don't call me a p***y for going and doing the one thing I'm okay at, which is reconnaissance. Sorry. Don't have the nerve for the brawl. I do alright in my SCRs, but the mech is much better than I am. Look at my tier. I've been playing on and off for three years, and there I am struggling to get out of tier 4.

Tier means nothing from my perspective.

Honestly, I have much better matches with far more teamwork when I'm Tier 4 than when I'm Tier 3. I keep bouncing between the two because of a lack of teamwork honestly. Great players, but when no one seems to want to work together...

(I also, for whatever unknown reason I can't fathom, seem to bug/lag/glitch/etc whenever I'm in a match as a tier 3 rank. I don't know how nor why. I just have been noticing the pattern. Last tier 3 match I had (because I keep bouncing between 4 and 3 like crazy), I ended up fighting a Mauler who I could barely see his head, but he was shooting me with arm mounted PPCs through the ground... (I'm guessing HSR or something?) Yes. I'm probably about as confused as you are...)

#51 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 03 October 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

Silence is taken as approval. If you see a newbie getting bullied by a jerk, step up and say something. You don't even have to interact with the bully, simply tell the newbie "ignore him, he has a tiny penis" or somesuch.

Stick up for each other.

Yes. I recall actually interrupting a player who was railing on about someone else's bad choices in match. Heck, the guy was right, but screaming at people will actually impair their decision-making. To get his attention, I had to interrupt with "hey... hey! ... hey, stupid!" After I pointed out that screaming at the other guy wasn't helping, he shut up and simmered while we won the match.

Now, you don't have to be confrontational - leave that to experts, I'm military. But simply saying, "hey, that's not helping," can help with people who are too free with their frustration. Don't get into arguments, just don't let them abuse teammates uncontested - and remember: for both you and the target, blessed silence is only Tab and a mouse-click away.

As for the original question: I'm climbing up through tier 3 right now (dang stats analysis) and the people I play with are sometimes asinine, but not often - more often, I get annoyed with people who only know how to talk (or type) when its time to complain about the tactical suggestions they didn't follow, or find fault with the team's actions.

#52 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

View PostElizander, on 02 October 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:

It's due to certain time zones I'm certain because I never really run into it. If you're with those groups of people just turn off all your chat settings or something if you don't really care to hear what they say.

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 04 October 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

agree with this

OP just turn off all your chats and just play the game without the distraction
u wont need to hear captain tryhard and his sidekick metagirl for a long time

Posted Image

Seriously, though: don't do that crap. I often turn off "All" chat, because it doesn't really help me play with my teammates, and some trolling goes on. But you should not turn off the chat options that allow you to interface with your team.

Edited by Void Angel, 04 October 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#53 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

I think I'm going to have to turn off the in-game chat options across the board, too.

One or two bad interactions in a night is more than enough for me.

In accordance with the name&shame policy, I won't disclose the name. But I DO owe a certain player an apology. We were teamed up in a PUG drop on Tourmaline desert earlier. This other pilot was in a Mauler of some sort, and I was in an ACH-PRIME. He took issue with my decision to attempt a base capture, after I was the LAST of our team standing, against 10 enemies, and already lacking the RA and RT and 2/4 cSPLs I had been carrying. Someone else thought I should have fought those ten other mechs head-on, and took that opportunity to question my testicular fortitude or whatever. My response was not exactly becoming an adult, and for that I am sorry.

THAT said, I play how I play. I will NOT sacrifice my mech for ego or the edification of those other players who have their own ideas about the roles of light mechs. I spotted enemies for the team, which was relatively LRM-heavy. I kept the team informed, as well as I could, by VOIP, of the positions and movements of enemies, as I observed them. That's reconnaissance. That's scouting. And when the enemy had closed, I fell back on providing ECM cover for the bulk of the friendly team, and I participated directly in close combat with the enemy. That's how I do. For that, I will NOT apologize. If anyone wants to stretch their e-peen about it, I'll be happy to show the screencap of the match summary (#2 team match score, #3 damage, assists on both of the team's kills, bonuses for SCOUTING and UAV spotting (those are free, right?) and most damage on kill and so forth..) to quantify my contribution to the team's effort.

But WHO CARES?! It's a freakin' GAME. It's supposed to be ENJOYED. Like some others at the end of that match, I participated in communication that probably contributed to the OP's kind of complaint about a toxic player community. I'm ashamed of that.

Anyhow, see ya on the battlefield! I'll be the one letting you know what your enemy is up to, if you're a friendly, and shooting you in the back and diming you out, if you're my opponent...

#54 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

For everyone who has apologized for letting loose out of frustration, etc ... while the intention is admirable, the words are out and how likely is it that the person you abused will even know of your apology given the ratio of players who use the forums and those who do not?

Likely the only thing that person remembers is maybe your name and definitely how that MWO match left a bad vibe. Enough of that and either they stop playing or they turn off all comms.

Not sure which is worse ...

#55 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 04 October 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

For everyone who has apologized for letting loose out of frustration, etc ... while the intention is admirable, the words are out and how likely is it that the person you abused will even know of your apology given the ratio of players who use the forums and those who do not?

Likely the only thing that person remembers is maybe your name and definitely how that MWO match left a bad vibe. Enough of that and either they stop playing or they turn off all comms.

Not sure which is worse ...

(User in question is an active poster on these forums, and I also sent a direct message to apologize. No one's perfect. We all have our moments. That's no excuse, though, just a reason that bad things sometimes happen. I'm more concerned about those who never feel that their color commentary is inappropriate to a video game and their fellow players.)

#56 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:45 PM

I predicted this nightmare scenario when voip was announced.  I am sorry that you experienced this but this community is toxic as VX nervegas.  Especially the forums.
My best suggestion is this...
Turn off all in game coms.  Chat and VOIP.  The noise to signal ratio is abyssmal. The rare instances where you get good coms is infinitesimal as those good players are on their own teamspeak most times.
Join a unit and their teamspeak and your experience will improve... As well as running in the abbatoir of the group queue and cw will allow.  The best game experience in MWO is sync dropping the solo queue with your friends and having brotherly wrestling matches.
May God bless your search for a good unit that meets your gaming needs.Edit: Do NOT let anyone in the forums try to intimidate you about turning off coms/chat. You are not a bad player for doing that. You are refusing to subject yourself to a social interaction you are not obligated to have. They are the bad people for demanding you subject yourself to their or anyone else's abuse.

Edited by Kjudoon, 04 October 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#57 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 04 October 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

I predicted this nightmare scenario when voip was announced. I am sorry that you experienced this but this community is toxic as VX nervegas. Especially the forums.
My best suggestion is this...
Turn off all in game coms. Chat and VOIP. The noise to signal ratio is abyssmal. The rare instances where you get good coms is infinitesimal as those good players are on their own teamspeak most times.
Join a unit and their teamspeak and your experience will improve... As well as running in the abbatoir of the group queue and cw will allow. The best game experience in MWO is sync dropping the solo queue with your friends and having brotherly wrestling matches.

I am probably 'toxic' to you by saying that, but I got the feeling that you sir have never seen a toxic community in your life. This game has the best community of any pvp game communities I've ever experienced. PvP shooters always bring the worst out of people, and most MWO players are mostly suprisingly resistant to this.
Forum I would rate average, with new player help being very friendly overall, and general discussion/CW forums being quite below average.
[edit:] really, try WoT, Dota, LoL, APB Reloaded, Battlefield, CoD, anything. I promise you, you'll reappraise the term 'toxic community'.

May God bless your search for a good unit that meets your gaming needs.Edit: Do NOT let anyone in the forums try to intimidate you about turning off coms/chat. You are not a bad player for doing that. You are refusing to subject yourself to a social interaction you are not obligated to have. They are the bad people for demanding you subject yourself to their or anyone else's abuse.

0_0

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 05 October 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#58 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:39 AM

I dont need to go to those forums to know they are cesspits of human debris... I have seen several videos. This community isnt much better. I have come to the belief that this is just normal PvP menatality from the other games i do play. If you want an example of a good forum community i could direct you to DCUO. By comparison it is sublime and even their PvP forums are better than this. What is definitely lacking is abject hatred and mistrust of the developer en masse as is found here.

I dont believe in luck so God bless seemed more appropriate. Deal. And thank you for illustrating my point.

#59 Totem1

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:11 AM

To the Op I would also add my words of encouragement and say that although rare getting shouted at does happen and often feels unwarranted.
Examples of this include watching someone unload their weapons at spawn to "test" them or other such then being blamed for doing it by the guy that received it in their back, for an artillery strike against a pack then seeing a teammate run into it, for shooting long range/high damage weapons whilst fully zoomed and a teammate pokes right into it, hell I have even been called out for choosing a Direwolf in a pug and I complained I was being left behind during the "nascar"..
I have been complained about for using every weapon system "Lrm noob", "gauss noob", "ppc noob", "laser spit noob", "streak noob", "only noobs use mg's", and probably most mechs clan or IS.
And let's not get stated on CW where I have stepped up as commander and been roundly trashed for suggesting any orders .....

Having said this there is the contra side... complimented for interesting builds that have worked, for pulling out the stops when in a light and faced with a fully loaded and armoured Atlas, for saving the guy who was toe to toe and cored, for that well placed UAV and for all the times I have dropped with my unit or people on my friends list.

They far out-weigh the negative knee-jerkers.

#60 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:49 AM

...nightmare scenario...

...this community is toxic as VX nervegas...

...The noise to signal ratio is abyssmal...

...they are the bad people for demanding you subject yourself to their or anyone else's abuse...

View PostKjudoon, on 05 October 2015 - 12:39 AM, said:

...cesspits of human debris...

...abject hatred and mistrust of the developer en masse as is found here...

It kinda strikes me how you can speak against 'toxic' people and use such phrases at the same time, actually offensive to large groups of people.

edit: grammar

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 05 October 2015 - 02:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users