857 replies to this topic

#361 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostAdridos, on 19 May 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

It looks better without having words written all over it. Every time you make a logo, it must be clear, if it needs whole sentences inside for people to understand it, then it must be redone. ;)

Not knowing what it means is actually preffered. When you look at the logo of EA, who can know from it it's Electronic Arts? Noone. But it's still a good and representative logo. :P

In pincipal I agree whole heartedly. I generally try to avoid words at all when I do insignia, however, I had a hard time trying to decide how to convey the meaning here, since basically I was limited to a 'mech silhouette, shape, and the vagabond strip (those yellow lines with the white arrows). I wanted to avoid the use of color to preserve uniformity, though that could change as I talk to the unit about the images and their preferences.

Edited by Hayden, 19 May 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#362 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

I also agree that using full words to convey the meaning is not, necessarily, the best way to do things. However, you have patches like the ones NASA did, with the names of the astronauts and the mission, and those are traditional. On military patches, traditionally, you have the name of the unit and whatever image you're going to convey, perhaps a motto, as well. Hayden, looking over these, I would say putting your abbreviated versions is confusing to me, and likely will be to others, as well. Perhaps selecting a single full word to put in there would be best, perhaps at the feet of the 'Mech contained within. Also, what would be the point of taking the first letter from the word Lance?

Edited by Kay Wolf, 19 May 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#363 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 19 May 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

I also agree that using full words to convey the meaning is not, necessarily, the best way to do things. However, you have patches like the ones NASA did, with the names of the astronauts and the mission, and those are traditional. On military patches, traditionally, you have the name of the unit and whatever image you're going to convey, perhaps a motto, as well. Hayden, looking over these, I would say putting your abbreviated versions is confusing to me, and likely will be to others, as well. Perhaps selecting a single full word to put in there would be best, perhaps at the feet of the 'Mech contained within. Also, what would be the point of taking the first letter from the word Lance?

Eh, it was 4 AM, I was drunk. That's just how it fell together.

ED: That said, my reasoning was that I didn't want to keep any "intact" words.

ED: What I'll probably end up doing is making different versions once I get more input from the raiders. These are really meant to establish more of a baseline "vanilla"/generic design.

Edited by Hayden, 19 May 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#364 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 19 May 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

OK. After careful consideration, I decided to revisit last night's mistakes. :P

They've all been fixed. Quotes are from Azantia. Thanks to him and Kay, both are gentlemen and scholars.

http://mwomercs.com/...post__p__253820

#365 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostHayden, on 19 May 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Eh, it was 4 AM, I was drunk. That's just how it fell together.

I guess this a common trade secret then... :P

#366 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hayden, fantastic. Those are much better. Believe me when I tell you that paying homage is respectable, but can be too much in certain circles. Frankly, these work much better; well-done, sir.

#367 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 19 May 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Hayden, fantastic. Those are much better. Believe me when I tell you that paying homage is respectable, but can be too much in certain circles. Frankly, these work much better; well-done, sir.

Yeah, this also gave me a chance to better balance them. I'm much happier with these now than I was.

Edited by Hayden, 19 May 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#368 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Last batch of patches look great Hayden!!

#369 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostBullet Magnet, on 01 February 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Awesome work Hayden. How about some love for the Northwind Highlanders?

Haven't seen it elsewhere so I gave it a shot:

Posted Image

EDIT: Adding Ceremonial Version

Posted Image

Edited by Ironhawk, 20 May 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#370 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Very nice IH! Love the claymore!

#371 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostHartsblade, on 20 May 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Very nice IH! Love the claymore!

Thanks!

#372 OhGilPin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Ok I got some insignias, probably going to have to redo them as they may be a bit on the small size, these a for a BattleTech documentary which I am working on with some other people.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by OhGilPin, 20 May 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#373 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostOhGilPin, on 20 May 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Ok I got some insignias, probably going to have to redo them as they may be a bit on the small size, these a for a BattleTech documentary which I am working on with some other people.

The red one has a bit choppy edges. Wish you luck with your BTech documentary. :P

#374 OhGilPin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostAdridos, on 20 May 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

The red one has a bit choppy edges. Wish you luck with your BTech documentary. :P

Yeah thats just to do with the way I exported the Clan insignia, looks fine on the PSD file.

#375 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostIxxxI, on 03 March 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Thank you for the interest to my request. I fully understand the difference between real life and hobby, wish you gracefully overcome any difficulties in your life Posted Image.

Here is small addendum to my investigation.
Edit: new translation for Dai-DaChi found: 大赤 - DaChi was the name of [literally] big red banner in Chinese army of Zhou Dynasty (1046–256 BC), thus we have Dai-DaChi could stand for "Evil Ensign".

That's a better picture of insignia:

Posted Image

but I've found, that don't like the dragon inscribed, that's a shaggy worm, not a chinese dragon (yeah, I don't feel great respect to BT authors and novelists, they had shown too much ignorance in many areas). Asked some search web-engines for help and voila, here come some nice chinese dragons. BTW, every self-respecting chinese dragon wears horns or even antlers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S. All copyrights belong to their respective owners as usual.

This one took a while but here's my take on it. Will need a few touch ups... Hope you like it.

Posted Image

#376 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Love it!! Well done!!

#377 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

I agree, Ironhawk, that's beautiful. I am a huge anti-fan of Liao, on principle and in general, and I even thought of downloading it for the artistic quality. Wonderful job; Adridos and Metro should be extremely happy with that.

#378 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

A thousand internets to you, Ironhawk. Dai Da Chi never looked better!

#379 OhGilPin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

I got some more insignias here I put together I need advice and all that on what to do to improve, I'm trying to keep the colour pallet to around 4 separate colours.

In order the insignias are; The Clans, Clan Snow Raven, Clan Smoke Jaguar, Oberon Confederation, Terran Hegemony and finally Federated Suns.

Also does the Terran Hegemony need to have each planet on their insignia a different colour? I really disliked that so I changed them all to white circles with a black fill.

Posted Image

#380 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

What is there to improve, again? These are all fantastic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users