Do You Enjoy Playing On Polar Highlands?

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you enjoy playing on Polar Highlands? (110 member(s) have cast votes)

Where you stand:

1. Yes (77 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (29 votes [26.36%])

Percentage of vote: 26.36%

3. No preference (4 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:41 AM

Super simple poll. We've had various threads breaking down why some people like/dislike the new map, but as far as I can tell, there's been no head-count of how large each party is.

So here it is. The poll. Please vote appropriately so we may understand how divided the player-base truly is.

Note: This thread was created in Feature Suggestions because I wasn't sure where else to create it. Not all forums allow for poll threads. Please feel free to moderate this as appropriate; I wasn't really sure how best to proceed when I made it.

Polar Highlands, by Kanin Zeta

Gman's Salty About Polar Highlands, by XX Sulla XX

Remove The New Map, by Tripzter

Polar Highlands Is Very......, by XX Sulla XX

Everyone Avoiding New Map!, by N0MAD

Polar Highlands - Too Big - Move Spawns, by ChapeL

Polar Highlands = Lrmageddon 3, Need Cover, by Heuvadoches

Edited by Hornsby, 22 January 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#2 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

I was aprehensive about the map at first. I haven't played in an assault yet, but generally I like it. Sure it's big, flat and lurm showers happen all the time, but I've had all kinds of fights. It's diffent from all the other maps so you need to learn how to play it. It's not like you need to memorize the map to memory, but understaning what works in that kind of map and it's situations is key.

#3 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

It is a good map, to say otherwise is admitting you don't know how to use the map to your favor.

While I will say that its hard to hide from LRMs in the (Tall) Grasshopper it isn't impossible.

Teamwork can make or break a map, more people need to use it.
The map does have some decent lrm cover just not a lot of it, you just need to find it and remember where it is.

Conquest on the map is how conquest should work.

#4 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

It's a map where your cover, your first line of defense is your lancemates. You can be flanked and peppered with LRMs if everyone on your team gets the same tunnel vision that allows them to get by in other maps.

So far I have consistently seen the teams that "deathball" too early lose to opponents that attack them from multiple directions. They either concentrate too much on one flank and eat LRMs from the spotters behind them or swallow a bait and get drilled from behind.

Teamwork above all else is king here.

#5 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

Love the new map. Anyone who say they cant brawl on this map really is not a very good player. It does allow for LRM usage more then some other maps, but its not crazy. Just as some maps don't allow for it AT ALL. There is plenty of cover on this map. Learn how to use it please, and stop being a one trick pony.

#6 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Sick of Mechtitlement.

I suppose they want Oscars too.

#7 Heuvadoches

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationRainbow Tiger, Second Life

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

The map sucks. It needs cover.

#8 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

Take polar highlands, re-skin it to be a forest/jungle and away we go.

#9 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:55 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 22 January 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

Sick of Mechtitlement.

I suppose they want Oscars too.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Who is "they"?

Edit: Ah, got it! Thx.

Edited by Hornsby, 23 January 2016 - 02:37 AM.

#10 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

Mechtitlement. The belief that they are entitled to the game being designed exclusively to comp Solaris style maps.

When they don't get their way they act just like this stupid racist boycott of the Oscars who seem to think the award needs to be race normed not for merit of work.

Y'all are so good.... L2p the new map. I am sure you will be doing your old tactics soon enough with nary a changeto your usual tactics.

#11 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:37 AM

By they I mean any one who is trying to shoehorn polar highlands into a remake of Forest colony snow.... Which many gud playaz seem to be demanding.

#12 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:29 AM

this map finally brings back use to scout mechs. THANKS PGI, I LUV YA !!!!!

everyone else - learn to play: as a team, with the terrain. in real war you sometimes cant be picky about the terrain either. get the f... out there and fight, dont complain. that map disfavours both sides.

Edited by Fat Jack Murphy, 23 January 2016 - 03:32 AM.

#13 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:37 AM

This map needs teamwork and that is often the problem. It is why I personally don't like playing it. Not because of any difficulty per se but you really do need coordination as no individual can help by doing it alone.

I have seen a lot of kamikaze pushes and straight of a crest and into the enemy it reminds me of CW in a way since you do need a good build in order to compete and decent VIOP and a strategy that everyone buys into
As I have said I have seen all sorts of stupids and your left just following the crowd into oblivion since there is no way out of it.

Sadly as a community we neither do strategy nor communication well despite what people say.

Edited by tokumboh, 23 January 2016 - 03:49 AM.

#14 Aedwynn

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:48 AM

Many people praise it, but when you ask them it boils down to map being new. It's a fresh experience, so many ignore glaring problems - heavy shift to ranged fighting, almost no cover, so no flanking and more direct combat.

#15 Friend Tang

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

This map actively discourages people playing brawling mechs, and punishes people who do not join the great movement to have ER LL's. It is no better than Alpine Peaks.

#16 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

So long as I have ECM and ER Large Lasers, yes.

View PostFriend Tang, on 23 January 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

This map actively discourages people playing brawling mechs, and punishes people who do not join the great movement to have ER LL's. It is no better than Alpine Peaks.

And yet LRM's are still a cancer if your Mech is taller than a Cicada.

#17 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

I like the map .
A good, fresh challenge after all those rather small and centric maps .
Makes me crave more maps of this new type .

And PGI ?
Don´t you put Alpine Peaks on "zero weighting", your map-pool isnt even close to being big enough for such a move .
I got a feeling that you guys want to slowly fade it out of the playerbase´s memory, but that would be a shortsighted move and once again catering to the lowest common denominator which is apparently all too present in your decision making process.
Let Alpine Peaks live, it´s got good terrain .
It´s just the players doing too much habitual shenanigans because of lacking tactical creativity .
And you guys at PGI should be really not incentivizing that lack, you should be challenging it ... see Polar Highlands and the controversy revolving around that well made and lovely to play map .

#18 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

I'm not impressed with it.

At first it was new and offered something different: scouting, no NASCAR monument in the center, etc. Then, it degenerated into LRM spam - good luck avoiding them once NARC'ed - and just more laser vomit, and interest was quickly lost. The map is also very unforgiving of small, subtle errors, like being a bit too high up on a rolling hill and getting laser-faced to death. This makes it even harder to carry a team even if you're in a position to do so.

Overall, I'm disappointed in it. Maybe once people stop voting for it every time it shows up and are given an incentive to run something other than LRM spam on that map, I won't hate it as much, but for now I'm done with it.

#19 Jaqir

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

Great map with variety in possible approaches, mech- and tactics wise. Been both on receiving and dealing end of the usual causes for complaints (lurmlol, failing to find adequate cover (most of the time bad positioning from my part), laser sniping, travel distances etc.) and frankly I find it all adding up to a far more interesting and exciting match experience than on most maps. Wins are usually because of smarter positioning, target calling and general communication than the opponent's, losses are generally due to failing at these and/or people taking the shortest route from point A to point B, which is usually over the hills where you shine like a beacon. Also ECM and AMS, or lack of either/both have obviously been playing their roles.

Generally a large enough map with plenty variance to allow 'new' uses of your chosen mechs' strengths while also reminding you of its weaknesses. The latter part probably being what people don't like (to adapt to).

#20 Fryepod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 111 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationUpstate, New York

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:46 AM

Just like you're told in every mechwarrior experience, you aren't a lone wolf hero. You're only as good as the pilots around you.

That being said, the middle of the map is clear no mans land. The trenches encircling it are reminiscent of WW1.
If you go up, you're going to go down. If you're planning on doing it anyway, you better hope your whole team does a quick sweep into the enimens position. So you're better off not doing any of it.

Its a trench warfare map, its cool in concept and in play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users