Player Base Shrinks

153 replies to this topic

#1 Oncoshi

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

Steam release had no positive effect on the player base in MWO.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

https://steamdb.info.../342200/graphs/
(thx @ PFC Carsten)

There are more people interested in Euro Truck Simulator 2!!!!! than in MWO.

You cant find MWO in the top 100.

The whole point of this post is not the shrinking player base but the discussion WHY there are so few new people out there who are interested in MWO / like MWO / know about MWO and WHY so many of the new steam players already left.

There must be reasons (maybe because the game is not good enough?).

There are enough other examples where games after steam release had a growing population because the new player showed their buddys how cool the new game is.

Many of the people i showed MWO had enough of it after we dropped in a small group and got stomped by10 or 12 stacks of enemys. They had no fun at all. This is just one of many examples where u cant just ask somone to join for some fun rounds TOGETHER if you dont play with 8 or more people.

Edited by Oncoshi, 08 March 2016 - 04:23 AM.

#2 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

just means people are maybe playing more via the normal method rather than having a cpu /memory sucking 3rd party software to go through first in order to play the game they wanna play???

#3 Oncoshi

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

Do you really think a new steam player would uninstall its game from steam so he can play via the extern launcher?

#4 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostOncoshi, on 26 February 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

Do you really think a new steam player would uninstall its game from steam so he can play via the extern launcher?

Have you had at least one class in statistics so you have the modicrum of intelligence in presenting data. Lets go through the logic train that you missed:

1st) You show steam stats for Top 100 games. MWO is not present in the top 100.
2nd) You did NOT show any history to show MWO play behavior since its been released on Steam
3rd) MWO is split between two clients the native MWO and the modified one using Steam to send stats to Steam. Therefore, when using Steamstats, at best you can only talk about the Steam side of the house and not the MWO side of the house.
4th) You did not present in any way to show that Steam has had no positive impact on MWO at all.

Lastly, get a better data source showing the release stats on Steam and current play activity. And understand that if MWO released on Steam and got 1 player from Steam, it means releasing on Steam increased players for MWO. If by some miracle releasing MWO on Steam caused MWO non-steam players to leave more than the new Steam players coming in, then yes you'd have a correct statement, but lets be frank your entire post is one hell of a lie.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

mwo is sort of like detroit.

its a one trick pony that is only good for putting out new rides. if they dont diversify their development, its going to fail as soon as japan (in this analogy hairbrained studios) starts flooding the market with superior products that cost less.

diversify means things other than mech packs. more maps, more premium features, new weapons, more game modes, fix the bugs and the convoluted mechanics, less buffalo chips and lies.

thing is pgi has the time and the resources to change. they can make the game great. or they can continue to pump the mechwarrior/battletech fanbase of their loose cash as a way to kind of validate their existance. stop being constrained by your free to play model trying to scrape most profit for the least effort. but fourth great effort and give the bank the finger like normal working class folk. why did they even get into the games buisness in the first place if they didnt want to be awesome? be freaking awesome! be the god damn chrysler!

the gray knighting will continue for now.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#6 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

And here we go again with "the sky is falling" Posted Image

#7 Oncoshi

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

Steam ist the biggest gaming platform. If you cant bind more than 3400 people ( new + old player who switched to steam) some weeks after release its a disaster and evidence of incapacity.

Edited by Oncoshi, 26 February 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#8 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

View Postchewie, on 26 February 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

just means people are maybe playing more via the normal method rather than having a cpu /memory sucking 3rd party software to go through first in order to play the game they wanna play???

Hehe, if 49 MB and 0.1% cpu usage is bogging you down, you've got bigger problems than using steam.

#9 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostRhent, on 26 February 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

2nd) You did NOT show any history to show MWO play behavior since its been released on Steam

Remedy for #2:
https://steamdb.info.../342200/graphs/

You might want to fokus on the middle and lower graphs.

#10 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostOncoshi, on 26 February 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Terrible example. Euro Truck Simulator has a solid following, I know people who have played that game zealously for years. As crazy as that may sound to us.

There are more people interested in Euro Truck Simulator 2 than War Thunder, which is one of the biggest F2P games on the market.

Interesting that MWO is no longer top 100 tho. Would have thought it would take longer. I wonder if Russ will mention it tonight.

#11 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostOncoshi, on 26 February 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

I'm used to being unpopular. I was that guy that never went to the prom and instead hung out with nerd buddies talking about nerd stuff.

So it doesn't bother me that the MWO population is small. I'm okay with that.

#12 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

It had a positive effect - they finally made a tutorial after 2 years of being a "live" status game.

#13 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

Well, according steam chards, MWO lost half of the "steam" playerbase since steam release. Of course, MWO could still have more players than it had before, however MWO wasn't really blooming game and it seems retention rate is still really bad.

I won't be doomsayer but I believe there is much more needed to save this ship than just new mechs. Let's see.

#14 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,082 posts

It's a niche game with a small, but dedicated fanbase, it will never achieve mainstream status. Steam is simply not a good measure of MWO's playerbase. The core following use the standalone client. Plus the Steam stats are not bad.

It is completely expected that numbers drop after the game gets the spotlight for a while. I'm actually surprised it retained the number of people it did for as long as it did.

Overall the steam release brought a small percentage of new dedicated players to the game which was the whole idea in the first place. Like Blastman pointed out, who cares about the size of the playerbase, so long as the game is live we can play it and that's the whole point.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 26 February 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#15 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

View PostMead, on 26 February 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Hehe, if 49 MB and 0.1% cpu usage is bogging you down, you've got bigger problems than using steam.

Heck no.

But why run a 3rd party software to then run the software you want.

In business, fine, in gaming, why?

I dont see the reason to fire up my steam just to play this when i can just play this directly.

the inane comment about resource use was a little bit overblown i admit.

#16 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

Steam was always going to provide a boost, it was never going to sustain, because there is still nothing to play for.
Unless your invested in the franchise, the average player is going to spend a few days worth playing and then get bored and move on.

Edited by DV McKenna, 26 February 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#17 Setspider

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostOncoshi, on 26 February 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I did.

#18 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

View Postchewie, on 26 February 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Heck no.

I dont see the reason to fire up my steam just to play this when i can just play this directly.

It may sounds like a stupid idea for you but actually it seems majority of the players are using steam to launch games.

It's a niche game with a small, but dedicated fanbase, it will never achieve mainstream status. Steam is simply not a good measure of MWO's playerbase. The core following use the standalone client. Plus the Steam stats are not bad.

I think main problem and why people are really pointing on small player base is, that majority of current community really want Triple A mech game with all sorts of triple A game things. However it seems, there is no community, which can supports triple A development. That's why everything is so slow and many changes which are really really needed may never come.

#19 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

View Postchewie, on 26 February 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Heck no.

Well yeah, if this is the only game you have, then agreed, steam cannot be useful in that situation.

I'm not going to try to convince you to use steam or buy games from them. I used to travel in the linux scene; I know a brick wall when I see one (and that refers only to the strength of your resistance to the concept, not anything rude). But lots and lots of people do use it and have no problem with it.

#20 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

View Postchewie, on 26 February 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Your console peasantry sickens me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users