#61 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 May 2016 - 11:12 PM, said:

Or just taking the bad RL comparison:
of course you can take a Fiat 500, paint it read and put a ferrari V12 F1 engine into its rear. Even if you survive the acceleration you are still not able to drive a Formula 1 race.

Yeah, that's rather my point...

If you want to snipe, you would NEED to pick a mech that gets that skill line in order to be competitive.
It's a totally arbitrary restriction, for no reason. Which goes against the whole spirit of MechWarrior's vast customization system.

As it stands, the Hunchback is a perfectly fine long range AC turret or PPC spammer that can keep up with the best of them. Sure more people prefer to play it as a brawler, because you get more kills that way (and sniping as a rule is fairly ineffectual and mostly just used to suppress enemy movement).
But that's not a decision that should be forced on everyone.
Or to take another example, what if I want my catapult to be a brawler? I deck it out in MPLs and SRMS, and go to town. But if it doesn't get the brawler skill line that's no longer a viable option.

I'm all for more customization, which is why I think the skill tree idea is a pretty good one. But only if every skill line is available to every mech (even if it's only to one or two variants of a given mech).

#62 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:23 AM

View PostElendil, on 03 May 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Or to take another example, what if I want my catapult to be a brawler? I deck it out in MPLs and SRMS, and go to town. But if it doesn't get the brawler skill line that's no longer a viable option.

Of course its still a valid option - this is also the "butterbee" story (surprise the enemy - they expect LRMs and when they close you give them a volley of SRMs). Thinking out of the box could be a thing if those quriks are minuscule
Just because the Catapult is a high mobile fire support Mech - doesn't mean that you have to fire support.

About customisation - while i like customisation i think its a bad decision for the "end game"

Customisation just means - you don't need more than 4 Mechs, 35,55,75 and 90-95t each mixed with all types of hardpoints in several locations. (Bandersnatch type - (3 Missile HPs, RT;LT;H, 2 Ballistic (LA RA) 6 energy (LA;CT;RA)) add the option for jumpjets and remove the engine cap - and you don't need any other heavy IS Mech.

#63 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:29 AM

I would love this. Sadly I know better than to dream Posted Image

#64 Flitzomat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:57 AM

I have to be the Necormancer of this genious post

#65 grayson marik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

And necromance it again....

#66 Lomak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

All PGI need to do is, implement that idea...where is the problem the to give up on their own ideas and implement something directly suggested from the community....

#67 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostLomak, on 15 February 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

All PGI need to do is, implement that idea...where is the problem the to give up on their own ideas and implement something directly suggested from the community....

generating a precedence? When this happens Russ statement that the community should understand that they know nothing is refuted. This means when one statement is obvious incorrect all the other statements are incorrect - right?

Ok serious I don't know - it's not more difficult to implement as the planed skill tree and it fixes some issues the quirks had.

However maybe all the changes that are never to get online seemed to be made half assed presented on the test server and rejected because of the obvious bad feedback.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users