Whelp. Y'all Got What Ya Wanted

133 replies to this topic

#1 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

Kodiak has three days left before it gets buttf***ed, according to the patch notes. And not just the KDK-3, either, but gol' dang near all a'em.

KDK-1 and 5 - the poster children for "So Last Meta" - are the only variants to not come out gagglenerfed - each gets a +15 Structure to the still-quite thoroughly-murderable CT. Helpful, but not really what either variant needed. They will continue to blow chunks next to all other Kodiaks, though the gap is about to get a lot friggin' narrower.

KDK-3 loses all mobility and most of its structure quirks, with a very minor +5 Structure to the CT. It will now drive with all of the agility and responsiveness of a Dire Whale. On the flip side, we'll get to see if all the Mischiefs of the world were right when they said that "the KDK-3 without any quirks at all will still be the best assault 'Mech in the game!" Personally...well, I'll be watching for a significant upspike in overquirked Spheroid fatbros replacing half-legged Kodiaks.

KDK-2 somehow inexplicably loses the majority of its mobility as well, as does the Spirit Bear - which is an assault 'mech with exactly seven hardpoints and a complete inability to pull off any loadout that isn't AS7-S analog brawly striker. The Atlas gets an entire medium 'Mech's worth of free structure and six free weapons modules' worth of weapon quirks. The Spirit Bear gets...~10% mobility and half a Locust's worth of extra structure. For the same armament. Go figure.

The ol' Stink Bear (KDK-4) loses more mobility than the 2 or SB, but less than the KDK-3, as well as receiving the same largely pointless +5 to CT structure as the 2, 3, and SB. Thusly it will be slightly to minorishly more responsive than a Dire Whale and survive for one extra medium laser hit's worth of incoming fire to its small moon-sized torso sections.

Yep. All sounds like just about exactly what folks were looking for. Oh well...suppose I shoulda played more Sprint Bear when I had the chance. Maybe I'll give it one last hurrah this weekend before the patch goes live and it joins my old Victors in the "I used to really love this 'Mech" corner of the hangar. Get it out of my system before the Viper comes in.

Still. Can't accuse Piranha of not listening anymore, can ye? They did pretty much exactly spot-on what "The Community" wanted for the Kodiak. Time to see how we like getting what we deserve, I s'pose.

Edited by 1453 R, 15 July 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

View Post1453 R, on 15 July 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

Kodiak has three days left before it gets buttf***ed, according to the patch notes. And not just the KDK-3, either, but gol' dang near all a'em.

KDK-1 and 5 - the poster children for "So Last Meta", are the only variants to not come out gagglenerfed - each gets a +15 Structure to the still-quite thoroughly-murderable CT. Helpful, but not really what either variant needed.

KDK-3 loses all mobility and most of its structure quirks, with a very minor +5 Structure to the CT. It will now drive with all of the agility and responsiveness of a Dire Whale. On the flip side, we'll get to see if all the Mischiefs of the world were right when they said that "the KDK-3 without any quirks at all will still be the best assault 'Mech in the game!" Personally...well, I'll be watching for a significant upspike in overquirked Spheroid fatbros replacing half-legged Kodiaks.

KDK-2 somehow inexplicably loses the majority of its mobility as well, as does the Spirit Bear - which is an assault 'mech with exactly seven hardpoints and a complete inability to pull off any loadout that isn't AS7-S analog brawly striker. The Atlas gets an entire medium 'Mech's worth of free structure and six free weapons modules' worth of weapon quirks. The Spirit Bear gets...~10% mobility and half a Locust's worth of extra structure. For the same armament. Go figure.

The ol' Stink Bear (KDK-4) loses more mobility than the 2 or SB, but less than the KDK-3, as well as receiving the same largely pointless +5 to CT structure as the 2, 3, and SB. Thusly it will be slightly to minorishly more responsive than a Dire Whale and survive for one extra medium laser hit's worth of incoming fire to its small moon-sized torso sections.

Yep. All sounds like just about exactly what folks were looking for. Oh well...suppose I shoulda played more Sprint Bear when I had the chance. Maybe I'll give it one last hurrah this weekend before the patch goes live and it joins my old Victors in the "I used to really love this 'Mech" corner of the hangar. Get it out of my system before the Viper comes in.

Still. Can't accuse Piranha of not listening anymore, can ye? They did pretty much exactly spot-on what "The Community" wanted for the Kodiak. Time to see how we like getting what we deserve, I s'pose.

Who was it that called it?

Who said...yup, all the whiners about the KDK3 are also gonna get the SB, the 4, etc screwed?

Well, MischiefSC oughta be dancing in his boxers. Mission accomplished. Because the Reddit, the Forums and Twitter were just FULL of KDK4 OP threads.

Good job.

As for the KDK3s.... guess what? 90% of them never learned to twist anyhow...it's just stare and murder any idiot who stares back.

So net change?

ZERO.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 July 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#3 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

Pmuch, Bish.

Pmuch.

Nothing we can do about it now, a'course, but maybe the next time you, or maybe even I, tell someone "PIRANHA DOESN'T NERF 'MECHS, THEY NERF WORLDS"...we'll be able to get folks to listen?

I suppose I really should've known better than to buy the blasted Spirit Bear in the first place. Just cannot possibly have fun above 40 tons, can we?

#4 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

Why are people still constantly surprised when PGI walks into the glass house of game balance wearing a jacket of pipe bombs?

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

View Post1453 R, on 15 July 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

Pmuch, Bish.

Pmuch.

Nothing we can do about it now, a'course, but maybe the next time you, or maybe even I, tell someone "PIRANHA DOESN'T NERF 'MECHS, THEY NERF WORLDS"...we'll be able to get folks to listen?

I suppose I really should've known better than to buy the blasted Spirit Bear in the first place. Just cannot possibly have fun above 40 tons, can we?

Problem is? That was the stated goal of certain bittervets from the getgo.

SpiritBear. Last Hero, Bishop will ever purchase.

But what pisses me off is my Stinkbear. "KDK4 OP" said literally no one ANYWHERE (including Mischief) and yet... nerf the heck out of it. But hey, it gained 5 pts to the CT!!!!!! WOOT!

Done.

Finished. Wallet ain't closed. It's vacuum sealed and locked in a safe being sunk to the bottom of the Laurentian Abyss.

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 15 July 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Why are people still constantly surprised when PGI walks into the glass house of game balance wearing a jacket of pipe bombs?

We aren't. In fact 1453r and I spent the better part of 50 pages warning people this would be the result.

#6 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Had a feeling it would happen. But i was just trying to make my kdk1S viable. Oh well.

#7 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

Overall I it looks like a good change to rein in the KDK-3. It isn't good to have a mech head and shoulders over everything else of the same weight and even worse if it is cash only.

It's a sad day for the Spirit Bear though. I already preferred the Atlas for 100 ton brawling and a nerf just makes the choice more clear.

#8 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

The Bears are fine to fight against alredy. I had no problem facing them. If I were in a small, medium, heavy or lower ton assault I would stay out of their darn fiering line!
I bet the whiners were the smartasses who face stared a Kodiak in anything other than an other 100t Assault, alone and with the enemy kodiak having friends alongside.
Ofcourse you will be wrecked!

The COD plague are strong with some.. seriously. Yeah I've done exactly that from time to time, but I dont blame the opposing mech, I blame myself for the idiocy and learn from it.
NOONE should go rambo against a 100t without knowing what to do. Sure lights can be fast and samll enough, but that takes alot of piloting and dancing circles. And only if the 100t are alone.

Really dont see that the nerf were that much needed at all, really.

Edited by Tordin, 15 July 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#9 Dr Mlem

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

Sucks they decided to murder all the other variants and the Spirit Bear. Atlas will reign supreme again.

Edited by Lazy Badger, 15 July 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostSteelMantis, on 15 July 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

Overall I it looks like a good change to rein in the KDK-3. It isn't good to have a mech head and shoulders over everything else of the same weight and even worse if it is cash only.

It's a sad day for the Spirit Bear though. I already preferred the Atlas for 100 ton brawling and a nerf just makes the choice more clear.

>Yeah. Even though I still never found the KDK3 the unbeatable monster some of the folks on here try to claim... it was one we all understood would probably get hit and were I think IDK..maybe not fine with, but not opposed to.

The rest though? Not really seeing it. And yeah... RIP my lovely Pink StinkBear. Sleep well next to my Victors and Highlanders.

#11 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Damn near everything in the game got nerfed.

Except the Viper, because pay up motherf*cker.

#12 The Rogue Wolf

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationStalking the Digital Tundra

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

I dunno. I was never too fond of the Dakka Bear, but isn't this a pretty big whack with the nerf bat before the new heat/power/gravy-based coolant system comes out? I mean, it's important to remember that the Kodiak is 100 tons of tissue paper, basically.

I think they could've done a lot by just lowering the 3's torso points so that it would have to expose more of itself from cover to get the guns on target. But hey, I don't even have a 1.00 KDR, so what do I know. Posted Image

#13 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

Oh my god. The KDK3 is only as agile as a Banshee, considered one of the IS most agile assaults. That's *horrible*. Unplayable! Balance broken 4EVAR!!11!!

It's got a Dire Whale loadout on over the shoulder mounts with vastly more mobility. It's still an excellent assault - the Banshee, BLR, Mauler and families all got nerfed down a month ago.

All this does is being the KDK3 down into scope of every other assault. I know, I know. Having an OP mech is fun. However it's bad for balance.

So we did get what we wanted, eventually - better game balance.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 July 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

Oh my god. The KDK3 is only as agile as a Banshee, considered one of the IS most agile assaults. That's *horrible*. Unplayable! Balance broken 4EVAR!!11!!

It's got a Dire Whale loadout on over the shoulder mounts with vastly more mobility. It's still an excellent assault - the Banshee, BLR, Mauler and families all got nerfed down a month ago.

All this does is being the KDK3 down into scope of every other assault. I know, I know. Having an OP mech is fun. However it's bad for balance.

So we did get what we wanted, eventually - better game balance.

oh look...as you ignore the collateral dmg to the other Bears...which you are OK with despite them not being MetaMechs.

Living la Vida Schadenfreude, eh Mischief?

#15 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Looks like some of the BLRs got some nerfbat love as well.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

View Postmariomanz28, on 15 July 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Looks like some of the BLRs got some nerfbat love as well.

Anyone else get the idea that Russ and Paul were watching the Tournament not so much to see it grow as an Esport but so Paul could see what he could swing his mighty nerfbat at next?

Oh! Comp team used that Chassis! NUKE IT!!!!!

#17 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

Go play some Lands of Lore and it'll ease you of your woes. The pangs of MWOitis will vanish and in no time will you be lost in a not so gentle world of fantasy, action and adventure.

#18 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

New mech sold for cash kicks butt. After a while (when sales were down) it gets brought into line with the other mechs, We have seen this pattern before. Why is anyone surprised?

#19 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

Why did they feel the need to hammer down on the Marauders...

Also, I think PGI is forgetting WHY they gave IS 'Mechs so much agility; they DIE when that XL explodes. Their ability to spread damage is more critical than it is on a Clan 'Mech.

And then they also reduced structure on some of these 'Mechs (thankfully not MADs)...

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 July 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Anyone else get the idea that Russ and Paul were watching the Tournament not so much to see it grow as an Esport but so Paul could see what he could swing his mighty nerfbat at next?

Oh! Comp team used that Chassis! NUKE IT!!!!!

If that was the case, the only 'Mechs that would have been nerfed would be KDKs, WHMs, and HBK-IIC (don't worry, they'd ind a way). Maybe Novas.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 15 July 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 July 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

Go play some Lands of Lore and it'll ease you of your woes. The pangs of MWOitis will vanish and in no time will you be lost in a not so gentle world of fantasy, action and adventure.

Pssht.

MWO? Over it....
http://www.theverge....ced-price-games

Less that one Mech Pack, no nerfs included.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users