Unseen/reseen: Aye Or Nay?

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Unseen, Reseen or nope? (1175 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI add the Reseen/Unseen?

1. I accept nothing but the original Unseen. (115 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

2. Voted I prefer the Unseen, but if it isn't possible to add them, I will accept the Reseen. (645 votes [54.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.89%

3. I prefer the Reseen. (140 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

4. I don't care if the Reseen/Unseen will be added. (179 votes [15.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

5. I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen). (96 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#341 Larth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I just want my <insert profanity here> Valkyrie.

#342 Percimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

As far as the TT for me, the unseen are Battletech. Our group/lance was...

A Marauder, a Battlemaster, a LAM Phoenix Hawk, a Shadow Hawk (that's what I was piloting most of the time) and a Charger (who was really living by its name and charged opponents into melee combat all the time). Later my character (who was more a tech than a mechwarrior) switch for an Orion for long range support and my new guy took the Shadow Hawk.

I can't vote because, as far as I'm concerned, the look of the mech isn't the most important aspect. Sure the unseen looked great, but I wouldn't mind the reseen OR a new design (new reseen) by PGI.

What I liked about the Shadow Hawk was its mobility and diversity of weapons. Sure a stock version of it in MWO would be weak (as any stock mech) but once tricked out... it would be sweet. It would also be at the top of its category as far as weight, the opposite of Dragons and Cicada which people consider the weakest of their classes.

55 tons with JumpJets...

Edited by Percimes, 19 March 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#343 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Wolverine is better. :)

#344 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

If you're going 55 ton you go Griffin or you go home.

Of course, any classic 3025 medium pilot knows the only mech that matters is the 45 ton Phoenix Hawk. :)

#345 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 20 March 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

If you're going 55 ton you go Griffin or you go home.

Of course, any classic 3025 medium pilot knows the only mech that matters is the 45 ton Phoenix Hawk. :rolleyes:

I'll go home...and get my Shadow Hawk. :) I'd be happy with any of the 3025 55-tonners, but I really want my Shadow Hawk. Pheonix Hawk would also be nice, but no ballistics. Without any of those, I suppose I could live with the Highlander aka the 90-ton Shadow Hawk.

#346 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 20 March 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

I'll go home...and get my Shadow Hawk. :( I'd be happy with any of the 3025 55-tonners, but I really want my Shadow Hawk. Pheonix Hawk would also be nice, but no ballistics. Without any of those, I suppose I could live with the Highlander aka the 90-ton Shadow Hawk.

Whaddayamean no ballistics? The Phawk has Machine Guns! One in each arm! Fear the dakkadakka!! :(

I agree about being happy with any of the 3025 55 tonners though. Griffin, Shadow Hawk and Wolverine were all great mechs. They pretty much defined the role of the typical medium mech as far as I'm concerned along with the Phoenix Hawk. Decently armored, good speed, jump jets for maneuverability and decent firepower.

And they looked awesomely cool, which is important too. :)

#347 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

There's also the Dervish. It's odd, all of the 55-tonners are 5/8 with Jump Jets and solid mechs.

...and no, the MG's don't count. :lol: My friends and I are in a MechWarrior RPG. One of my friends is piloting a Phoenix Hawk and one of the first things he did was strip the MG's off for extra heat sinks as it was running too hot. Then again, one of the things I did was strip the SRM-2 our of my Shadow Hawk and replace it with an extra ML and 2 more Jump Jets...I once managed to get it up to a whopping 7 heat.

Also, looking at the Sarna article on the Shadow Hawk claims that the legal issues with it was settled in 2009 and is no longer Unseen...so, yeah, if someone could get on that, it'd be great.

#348 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 20 March 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

There's also the Dervish. It's odd, all of the 55-tonners are 5/8 with Jump Jets and solid mechs.

...and no, the MG's don't count. :lol: My friends and I are in a MechWarrior RPG. One of my friends is piloting a Phoenix Hawk and one of the first things he did was strip the MG's off for extra heat sinks as it was running too hot. Then again, one of the things I did was strip the SRM-2 our of my Shadow Hawk and replace it with an extra ML and 2 more Jump Jets...I once managed to get it up to a whopping 7 heat.

Also, looking at the Sarna article on the Shadow Hawk claims that the legal issues with it was settled in 2009 and is no longer Unseen...so, yeah, if someone could get on that, it'd be great.

I miss the old guard mediums...

But find it hard to beleive the Shadow Hawk would be singled out like that.

#349 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostM4rtyr, on 20 March 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

I miss the old guard mediums...

But find it hard to beleive the Shadow Hawk would be singled out like that.

Well, take a look for yourself. It's right at the top. Perhaps there were other mechs involved in the settlement, there's no reference link. From the Unseen page it looks it specifically references the Shadow Hawk IIC as being reseen under a new agreement...

#350 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostBlackWidow, on 19 March 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Plain and simple: Neither FASA, Microsoft, Topps, PGI. ad nauseam has license to use images of any of the "Unseen".
They used to, but never will again.

But, that is for the images ONLY. The names used were all FASA. And no matter what anyone tells you, including PGI, they could re-image them to their hearts content if they truly wanted to.

This brings about the three points of concern/discussion:
1. If they deviate design too much, player base won't be satisfied. (And must therefor fight left handed.)
2. If they don't deviate enough, there will be a lawsuit. Even if it does deviate enough, there could STILL be a lawsuit.
3. As they have done before (and have every right to hold their cards close) PGI could be saving unseen mechs for future HERO/MC releases. They get money. We get beloved classics. More choice for all. Win-win-win

Just to make it even more clear, PGI does not have the rights to use ANY published art from ANY sourcebook (print media rights for even the current sourcebooks belong to Topps). ALL art for MWO has to be created exclusively for MWO. All of the art for our current 'mechs is NEW ART.

With that said, there is NO reason why PGI can't make NEW art for our missing 'mechs, since they already have to make NEW art for EVERYTHING in this game anyway.

View PostShadowbaneX, on 20 March 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

Well, take a look for yourself. It's right at the top. Perhaps there were other mechs involved in the settlement, there's no reference link. From the Unseen page it looks it specifically references the Shadow Hawk IIC as being reseen under a new agreement...

From the link:

The Shadow Hawk is one of the most iconic BattleMechs in BattleTech. Due to legal difficulties, the Shadow Hawk was among the Unseen BattleMechs of BattleTech. Legal disputes over ownership of this image were resolved in Summer, 2009.

Now I submit to you this image:

Posted Image

This is the image of the SHD-1R, from the Experimental Tech Readout: Primitives, Vol. 1

This TRO was published Aug 25th, 2010.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 20 March 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#351 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 20 March 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

Oh, well technically the IIC isn't the real deal, but anyway...

#352 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 20 March 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

Just to make it even more clear, PGI does not have the rights to use ANY published art from ANY sourcebook (print media rights for even the current sourcebooks belong to Topps). ALL art for MWO has to be created exclusively for MWO. All of the art for our current 'mechs is NEW ART.

With that said, there is NO reason why PGI can't make NEW art for our missing 'mechs, since they already have to make NEW art for EVERYTHING in this game anyway.

From the link:
[/size][/font]

Now I submit to you this image:

Posted Image

This is the image of the SHD-1R, from the Experimental Tech Readout: Primitives, Vol. 1

This TRO was published Aug 25th, 2010.

The PGI has to make new art, but so far, all art was heavily based on the Battletech's existing designs. We would complain if they did different.

Now I loved that Shadow Hawk - keeps elements from the original, but is looks better.

PGI would give us the greatest gift if the next round of IS mechs is something like this:

Light: Reseen Valkyrie or Wasp or Stinger
Medium: this Shadow Hawk
Heavy: Marauder (I really like the Marauder Reseen)
Assault: Reseen Battlemaster

#353 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

PGI has done an excellent job with the mech art ( look at the Jag). I think they can make better art than the unseen/reseen that is available...

#354 SnakeTheFox

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

For Macross I prefer the Unseen, for the VF-1 and the rest I prefer the Reseen; really, the Battlemaster looks absolutely hideous in the original version. Any mech that "holds" a gun with its hand does, in my opinion.

Anyway, the differences between the Unseen and the Reseen are so slight when you compare the differences between the original mechs, and the redesigns they've done for Mechwarrior Online (compare the Cataphract in the art to the one in the game), I don't see how they would have any problem throwing a Warhammer/Rifleman into MWO on the basis of aesthetics. They could easily "modernize" it to the same level as the Raven/Cataphract/Catapult/et al. and be done with it.

#355 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostSnakeTheFox, on 21 March 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

For Macross I prefer the Unseen, for the VF-1 and the rest I prefer the Reseen; really, the Battlemaster looks absolutely hideous in the original version. Any mech that "holds" a gun with its hand does, in my opinion.

Anyway, the differences between the Unseen and the Reseen are so slight when you compare the differences between the original mechs, and the redesigns they've done for Mechwarrior Online (compare the Cataphract in the art to the one in the game), I don't see how they would have any problem throwing a Warhammer/Rifleman into MWO on the basis of aesthetics. They could easily "modernize" it to the same level as the Raven/Cataphract/Catapult/et al. and be done with it.

Agreed.
But I think they should base in the Reseens anyway (even if some are hideous).
As I said before, if Alex Iglesias apply his talent to the Reseens, I'm willing to forget the old Unseens for good.

#356 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostOdanan, on 21 March 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

Agreed.
But I think they should base in the Reseens anyway (even if some are hideous).
As I said before, if Alex Iglesias apply his talent to the Reseens, I'm willing to forget the old Unseens for good.

As long as I can get the Battlemaster I'll be happy.

#357 JuiceKeeper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

for this pilot definitly VF1 i would at last feel like at home :rolleyes:

Also original Konig Monster(BT Behemoth) or how they called them in macross with both modes would be amazing

#358 zverofaust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Holy thread res Batman.

#359 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

View Postzverofaust, on 21 March 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Holy thread res Batman.

Lostech cache!

#360 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

If it's a Lostech cache we need to look out for ROM agents trying to pin the blame for the destruction of an entire colony on us just to keep it under wraps! Trust noone! Keep your lasers handy! The guy responding to your posts could be a ComStar ROM plant!

;)

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 21 March 2013 - 10:49 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users