Ok (How Much Money Will I Need To Drop To Compete - Grimm Wuz Here)

39 replies to this topic

#1 cut672

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

How much money will I need to drop on this game in order for me to be able to compete fairly with other people? Am I only going to get all the low grade crap and anyone who is more lucky with money situation going to be golden and supreme?

#2 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Drevs confirmed it won't be Pay to win. If they do it it remains to be seen. I suspect though, that weapons and mechs won't be available for real world money, only EXP/c-bills boosters.

#3 Tryg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

The way it's been explained to us by the devs so far, if you don't have money to drop, you can stay fully kitted out by spending more time in game. Now, if you don't have time or money, then unfortunately you're destined to drop a bit behind, but again, given enough time, you'll be able to catch up.

So the only thing people dropping money on the game are truely getting (in regards to in-round advantages) is a speed-up in how quickly they can field that gear. Those without money can field the same just by spending some time to earn the C-bills through combat.

#4 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMercenary Training Command, Outreach

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the forums. To answer your question, the Devs have made it clear that they have no intention of this being a play to win game. I suggest you start your reading here: http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/

Also, check out the new trailer:

Hope this helps. ;)

#5 Miroku2235

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Things you can buy with real money will be available for in-game currency as well. The monetary system is in place for the guy who can only play for a half-hour to one hour a day, but wants to stay up to speed with his buddies who can drop several hours of playtime a day on the game.

I'm sure that you'll be able to buy other stuff with real money only, but those will be cosmetic only in all likelihood, with things like custom paintjobs, titles perhaps, extra storage slots in your mechbay for additional mechs.

This will be Free-to-play, but not pay-to-win.

#6 cut672

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Ok thanks! Im looking forward to this game I actually have a chance and it is a very good approach to how this is going to work out!

#7 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

View Postcut672, on 13 March 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

How much money will I need to drop on this game in order for me to be able to compete fairly with other people? Am I only going to get all the low grade crap and anyone who is more lucky with money situation going to be golden and supreme?

Hula girls, spinners, shag carpet: Premium Content!

#8 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

View Postcut672, on 13 March 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

"Pay to Win" is a personal thing. Some people's treasure is another person's garbage, kind of thing. People really need to stop asking if games will be pay to win before the game releases. Do you expect a developer to just say, "Yep, it will be pay to win and if you don't pay then you will suck." (?)
That would affect the amount of people that would want to play, and that employee would probably be fired or sit in a corner with a "dunce" cap.

Wait until the game is out, make a decision for yourself. Don't believe others, believe yourself.

Edited by omega5-9er, 13 March 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#9 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

I am going to be 100% honest with you.

Yes, we will have a store with gear in it.

How much do you have to spend?

Spoiler

#10 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

I wouldn't get on the free to play will always be competitive bandwagon myself. That sounds counter intuitive when you figure that Mechwarrior has to turn a profit.

I can certainly see having additional mechs being store purchases, as well as varients of the mechs you already have access to. I would also see that the max you could get to in terms of weight classes as a free player who never drops a dime on the game might be light and medium mechs, and no advanced tech, no clans when they come out, and no special abilities like calling in airstrikes, and maybe not even being able to respawn.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 14 March 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#11 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 14 March 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

I wouldn't get on the free to play will always be competitive bandwagon myself. That sounds counter intuitive when you figure that Mechwarrior has to turn a profit.

I can certainly see having additional mechs being store purchases, as well as varients of the mechs you already have access to. I would also see that the max you could get to in terms of weight classes as a free player who never drops a dime on the game might be light and medium mechs, and no advanced tech, no clans when they come out, and no special abilities like calling in airstrikes, and maybe not even being able to respawn.

You should have edited to delete everything but the second sentence. I would think variants and possibly even different chassis might be available in the shop but everything else is either plain wrong or just silly.

#12 Brasdas

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationSPb

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

Great Great!!! ;)

#13 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostJadel Blade, on 14 March 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

You should have edited to delete everything but the second sentence. I would think variants and possibly even different chassis might be available in the shop but everything else is either plain wrong or just silly.

No, I think it is fine. Nobody actually knows, so saying things like this isn't miss-information. It may hurt if some players have dreams of having their cake and eating it too, but I don't for a minute think you will be able to play this game and not pay for something sooner or later in order to be on the same level as everyone else.

The game is going to have things you should probably need to buy in order to be a successful BUSINESS. They have to make money, the rest of this is academic after that.

#14 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

Start here http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/

Welcome to the forums!

#15 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 13 March 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Spoiler

Everything Paul says is a lie, and right there...he's lying to you.

It's a trap.

Read his sig!

Don't believe the lies!

Hey, who could be at my door at this hour? Comstar?!....OH SNAP! Run for it Marty!

#16 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Remember every mech you can buy with cash, is also applicable with C-bills.
Just that stuff like exp boosters will be definitely cash shop items.

And that exclusive hula girl :)

#17 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

All GOOD free to play models offer identical game resources to free and paying players. How does this work? you put the items in the shop for both an in-game currency that you can earn, for free, just by playing (In our case this will be c-bills), and you put those same items for sale for cash.

In this way, the only thin you ever really buy is a shortcut. You have the option to either grind for in-game points, or to dig into your wallet, or a combination of both.

Now, in the short term, the players with money to burn will have bigger, flashier toys, and more of them. They can afford to take many shortcuts. But, if MWO follows a GOOD model, then you will be able to get all of the same toys and goodies by investing time instead of money.

(for an example of a good freemium model, see League of Legends. Nobody can "pay to win" in LoL because they're buying the exact same champions as the free players are! You can only spend real $ on shortcuts or cosmetic skins)

#18 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 13 March 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Spoiler

You are going to have to spend 1 million dollars. Because I intend to bribe PGI. :)

#19 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostSnowDragon, on 13 March 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Drevs confirmed it won't be Pay to win. If they do it it remains to be seen. I suspect though, that weapons and mechs won't be available for real world money, only EXP/c-bills boosters.

Actually Mechs will be purchased, but your Mech does not mean anything. You can have a Hanger full of mechs, but that does not mean you have the time or ability to upgrade them all, or the RL skills to use them. This game will be based on skills, which is great.

#20 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

I remember reading as well that there would be mechs for sale that were different only in name for real cash in another thread. Old information I posted, alas.

Good thing though, it means there's new things being leaked down at a faster rate than the entire community can receive it,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users