who else loves warhammer 40k?

55 replies to this topic

#41 Althix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

no, you can field tanks, infantry, aerospace crafts along with mechs in bt. but anyway everything comes to a simple calculations to 12.
in wh there is different rules for infantry, vehicles, space crafts. there is different rules for los and many many many other things.
i was playing at first on level 2 rules of battletech, soon after that i realized that it's a mistake and focused on level 1. after Dark Age release i start playing wh and still playing it. it's better setting than a bt. in many aspects of gameplay.

Edited by Althix, 20 March 2012 - 01:15 AM.

#42 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

Didn't like he computer game much, quite comical and not really a strategy game. Multiplayer was fun though.

Edited by nubnub, 20 March 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#43 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

It's not better. It's different.

#44 Althix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

it is. but bt is simple. even if you are playing with full avaliable asset of rules.
wh is complicated on very basics. if you like tactics - warhammer is the setting you need.

#45 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostAlthix, on 20 March 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

it is. but bt is simple. even if you are playing with full avaliable asset of rules.
wh is complicated on very basics. if you like tactics - warhammer is the setting you need.

I got it, you haven't played BT, you maybe played BT Clickits, which is facepalm of a game.
Original BT is no way to be called simple, especially in comparrisson to 40K where the most complex thing is 'how to stuff 90 dice in your hand'.

#46 Althix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

but it is simple. like it or not, but overall bt gameplay is about how to get lower modificator to fire for my units and bigger for the enemy, it's 2d6 game so it is all goes to a simple calculations.
what is clickits btw?

#47 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

I only love the Fluff, not the Tabletop game actually.
and not all the PC games.

#48 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

In scale heavy/assault mechs almost as tall as warhound titan. in level of destruction - titan is far more superior than mechs.

The Warhound is a SCOUT titan :D
It has 12 crew (1 Princeps, 2 Moderati, 2 Techpriests, 3 Servitors, 4 Servo Skulls)
It is 14 Metres High, and can go up to 58 KPH. It weighs 410 Tonnes, so it is basically the equivalent of an entire lance of assault mechs in weight.
Posted Image

The Reaver is one of the most ancient Imperial Titan designs. It is slightly smaller than the warlord, and is much rarer than the Warhound/Warlord.
Its crew is pretty small (probably more automated than the others) consisting of a Princeps, 2 Moderati and a Techpriest.)
It stands at 22.3 metres tall, weighs 738 tonnes and moves at 27kph.
Posted Image

The Warlord is the Imperiums main combat titan and is the most common Imperial Titan.
It is crewed by a Princeps, 4 Moderati and two Techpriests.
It is 33 Metres Tall (this is the canonical height as per the apocalypse rulebooks diagram) though some stories/artwork range from 33 metres to 200 metres.
Posted Image

Then, there is the Emperor Class Titans- the Imperator and the Warmonger types.
These Titans are just... huge.... and scary.... and have a large cathedral bristling with guns on their backs.....
Posted Image

#49 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostAlthix, on 20 March 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

but it is simple. like it or not, but overall bt gameplay is about how to get lower modificator to fire for my units and bigger for the enemy, it's 2d6 game so it is all goes to a simple calculations.
what is clickits btw?

I've never heard anyone call BattleTech simple, especially not given the fact that its current edition has over 1,000 pages of core rulebooks (not including construction rules, the RPG and any sourcebook rules) and counting. I'd agree that adding up modifiers is much of what accurately firing weapons is about, but I don't see how anyone who have ever actually played the game can say that the entire game is based on just how accurately you can fire your weapons.

As for Warhammer 40k. I've not played the game itself more than a little, so I can't comment much on it, but I do like the universe, maybe not as much as I like the BattleTech universe, but a fair bit.

EDIT (2): Oh, and I imagine by Clickits he's referring to the Dark Age/ClickyTech game, which was significantly more simple than BattleTech.

Edited by Arctic Fox, 20 March 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#50 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostLongsword, on 20 March 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

The Warhound is a SCOUT titan :D
It has 12 crew (1 Princeps, 2 Moderati, 2 Techpriests, 3 Servitors, 4 Servo Skulls)
It is 14 Metres High, and can go up to 58 KPH. It weighs 410 Tonnes, so it is basically the equivalent of an entire lance of assault mechs in weight.
Posted Image

The Reaver is one of the most ancient Imperial Titan designs. It is slightly smaller than the warlord, and is much rarer than the Warhound/Warlord.
Its crew is pretty small (probably more automated than the others) consisting of a Princeps, 2 Moderati and a Techpriest.)
It stands at 22.3 metres tall, weighs 738 tonnes and moves at 27kph.
Posted Image

The Warlord is the Imperiums main combat titan and is the most common Imperial Titan.
It is crewed by a Princeps, 4 Moderati and two Techpriests.
It is 33 Metres Tall (this is the canonical height as per the apocalypse rulebooks diagram) though some stories/artwork range from 33 metres to 200 metres.
Posted Image

Then, there is the Emperor Class Titans- the Imperator and the Warmonger types.
These Titans are just... huge.... and scary.... and have a large cathedral bristling with guns on their backs.....
Posted Image

AKA pure awesome on 2 legs. Don't get me wrong, BT/MW are amazing on their own right and it's the hard science and human on human devastation that adds a flavour of realism and believability but I don't think any other fiction can compare to the pure insanity and over-the-top ridiculousness that is Warhammer 40,000 and probably why it's still my favourite. BT is a close 2nd.

#51 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

Closest you will get to Battlemechs inWH40K are the Knights of Mars.
About two to three times the size of an Space Marine Dreadnought.
Armed with a small Titan-Weapon and a small Titan Close Combat weapon i think
Piloted by one Martian Knight. http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Knight

I like the WH40K UNIVERSE . . But i once bought a starter pack for WH40K(Storm on Black Reach i think).
I opened it up, saw 4 different kind of dice, 3 different kind of rulers, that i had to assemble the figures myself and paint them with paint that did not come with the starter pack and cost way too much money . . basically said:"forget it, these were 65€ and i will never touch this again"
gave the space marine parts to a buddy who does not have such problems and now the rest of it is rotting away somewhere . .

Also:
Orks are NOT EVIL.
Neither are Necron.
And technically, neither are the Tyrannids.
And going to a stretch, Chaos and Dark Eldar ain't evil either.
Imperium of Man is as evil as the rest of them.
And so are the Eldar.
The Tau are the LESSER evil only.

Edited by Stahlseele, 20 March 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#52 Althix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

ok 1000 pages of rules and what about it? does it changes the fact that overall gameplay is based on making better mods for your self and not that good mods for the enemy? you still need to roll 2d6 dices aren't you? so all those rules for weapons, mech's speed, melee attacks, heat management, critical hit table, missiles table, piloting table, and other rules in very core is based on simple calculations of how successful your dessicions were. you still have a task to roll a better mod, which is 10+ in general on level 1 and 7/8+ on level 2.

Edited by Althix, 20 March 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#53 Kaine Vulpayne

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

I love WH40k because Orczes with Gunnz in space are teh lol

But all in all I prefer the BT setting.
WH40K appears to me as a satire on sci-fi and fantasy (allthough i am pretty sure, this was not intended), so while its ridiculousness is entertaining I can't take it too serious for that very fact.

#54 Kemosh

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a forgotten land.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

It was intended.At first. Remember the Night Lords with 80' Metal style helmets? Or the first mission ever in Rogue Trader, where the Crimson Fists were annihilated by their own missile striking a incredibly small opening in their weapon stockpiles?
40K 'lost' himself trying to appeal too much to bloodthirsty 14-years olds. In My Humble opinion, of course.
40k is barely a 'good' TT game...it is FUN, but in no way excellent. Historical Wargaming is on another level entirely (even if I liked Warhammer Historical).
And sadly, 40k is too focused on making money: 30 euros for 16 low-medium quality plastic models is simply a theft, where for example Warlord Games 28mm miniatures are at 20 euros for 20 models...

#55 StompyMcGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostKemosh, on 20 March 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

It was intended.At first. Remember the Night Lords with 80' Metal style helmets? Or the first mission ever in Rogue Trader, where the Crimson Fists were annihilated by their own missile striking a incredibly small opening in their weapon stockpiles?
40K 'lost' himself trying to appeal too much to bloodthirsty 14-years olds. In My Humble opinion, of course.
40k is barely a 'good' TT game...it is FUN, but in no way excellent. Historical Wargaming is on another level entirely (even if I liked Warhammer Historical).
And sadly, 40k is too focused on making money: 30 euros for 16 low-medium quality plastic models is simply a theft, where for example Warlord Games 28mm miniatures are at 20 euros for 20 models...

I'm remembering Noise Marines and Goffik Orks right now. Also, the classic Goblobber, even though it was fantasy, was still awesome.
Have to say, RT was my favoured 40k ruleset.

#56 Carebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

Sad day. 116 lost a job.

http://www.eurogamer...o-longer-an-mmo

But it was coming, at least they are honest and didnt BS its still MMORPG. I wonder what happens to THQ if this flops. Cant say Im going to miss them really as they ahvent done anything good.

Edited by Carebear, 29 March 2012 - 09:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users