Battletech Melee Weapons

261 replies to this topic

Poll: BattleTech melee weapons (812 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be BattleTech melee weapons

1. Voted Yes (690 votes [84.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.98%

2. Voted No (122 votes [15.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

OK "engineers" let's make lance and axe on Abrams tank. This "melee weapon" is just a fantasy with long-legged blue-haired anime girls.

#242 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 21 February 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

... This "melee weapon" is just a fantasy with long-legged blue-haired anime girls. ...

... so the rest of Mechwarrior is cold hard fact? I didn't know putting nuckear fusion reactors into 20-100t walking tanks was so much more realistic. At least the Canadians tried: Canadian Mech Program (Caution: satire is involved ;-) )

The Lore contains some famous Mech chassis that have melee weapons. Some like them and some of them want to see them in action. I am neither a girl. nor do I have blue hair. Also I have to admit that I have rather short and stacked legs. And although I like my occasional anime once in a while (Mecha, what else ..) I would die to see a Hatchetman in action. That's it. All MWO is just fantasy. And that's not a bad thing ...

Edited by Thomster, 21 February 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#243 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

View PostVlad Striker, on 21 February 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

OK "engineers" let's make lance and axe on Abrams tank. This "melee weapon" is just a fantasy with long-legged blue-haired anime girls.

I'm not sure what it is you're saying. If we work with the premise of mechs being fully functional as they are in the BT universe, then melee weapons work just fine.

Plus, your statement of putting an axe or a lance on an Abrams is not only a false premise, it's full on idiotic. An Abrams tank is not built, or equipped to use a melee weapon. It's about as idiotic as me saying "let's make treads for my horse".

I don't mean to be hostile, but starting with a condescending tone, and a false premise is not a way to get on peoples' good side.

#244 Christopher Hamilton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Steiner Sector

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

HATCHETMAN !!!

#245 MasterW3

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

the Kodiak has "claws" built into it's hands.. would be nice to be able to use them.
other mechs may have other options available.
anything with hands, should be able to equip a sword "vibro-blade" or mace or something.

#246 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

MW3
Those are not weapons, they are just for show.
Clans would never make melee combat mechs, they despise such things as they see them as barbaric.

I would wrath have DFA over anything else(much easier to implement I would think)

#247 Draecos

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

I would just like to see Assaults/Heavies be able to do crush damage. Light mech dumb enough to overheat in front of you? WOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Here comes the freight train. Time to die.

View PostMasterW3, on 23 March 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

the Kodiak has "claws" built into it's hands.. would be nice to be able to use them.
other mechs may have other options available.
anything with hands, should be able to equip a sword "vibro-blade" or mace or something.

Even Sarna states those were for show, and not useful.

#248 RhynoD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

Response to the "melee means Assault = win": MWO is not beholden to the damage values given in any other MW game, including the TT. If the assigned damage value is too high, it can be lowered to better conform to the desired game balance.

In any case, the range is likely to be so short that you would have to be right on top of another mech to use it. If you're in a light mech and you let an assault get that close to you, something has already gone horribly wrong. If you're staring down an Atlas in a Jenner, what's the difference between an AC20 to the face or a fist to the face? Either way, it's going to hurt.

#249 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

In the board game, punch kick and melee weapon like hatchet are quite useful. You need hands for punch and kick is a risk falling over...

It's technically illegal for clan pilots to use melee in the board game ( Clan rule of engagement, etc) and it's a good way for an inner-sphere Battlemech to have a chance against same clan tonnage... Would be great for balance

Would be great to have melee combat in the game and an Axeman battlemech !!!!! Will pay for it if it's coming, whatever the cost!

#250 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

however those rules do not imply to mercs, pirates, & others that they deem unworthy for such rules to apply.
or if enemy units breaks those rules then anything goes.

however they would never knowingly make melee weapon mechs.

#251 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

Melee? O ye, totally. Ran out of ammo? Bam!

#252 Intenebrus

• Pip
  • Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

There's a ton of ways a single button melee attack could change the game. It'd make those pesky hand actuators that keep us from mounting AC/20s alot more useful since hands assist in melee combat reducing damage to the giver and increasing it for the reciever of a melee attack. I could imagine mechs incapable of punching having a more awkward kick, and it'd give inner sphere mechs a good way to tip the scales in their favor since clan mechs aren't designed for melee combat. Even if clan mechs would be capable of melee combat in MWO even if it's against clan rules, clan mechs would be very awkward in melee. Try to imagine a dire wolf kicking something, or a Nova suddenly losing a few lasers because they melee'd without hands. It'd add alot to think about in terms of stats too, and maybe, just maybe, we'd even see death from above maneuvers and /finally/ get to see a highlander burial.
On top of that, melee mechs like the Axeman or Hatchetman, or some lesser known designs like the Ti Ts'ang, The Red Reaper Black Knight, Spatha and the Scarabus viable options for adding to the game. I'm all for all of it.

Edited by Intenebrus, 11 May 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#253 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

I was looking at this:

https://www.instagra...chwarrioronline

And seeing the Kodiaks Claws popping out and sliding back in it made me wonder wether this could be a (very faint) start into melee combat? I don't think there is another Mech with such an ostentacious feature regarding melee weaponry.

And while we're at it: I think the Kodiak looks really awesome. But it also looks like an offspring of an Atlas that had 53X with Wolverine. Posted Image

#254 Intenebrus

• Pip
  • Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostThomster, on 11 May 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

I was looking at this:

https://www.instagra...chwarrioronline

And seeing the Kodiaks Claws popping out and sliding back in it made me wonder wether this could be a (very faint) start into melee combat? I don't think there is another Mech with such an ostentacious feature regarding melee weaponry.

And while we're at it: I think the Kodiak looks really awesome. But it also looks like an offspring of an Atlas that had 53X with Wolverine. Posted Image

Definitely not, No clan mech was ever made with melee combat in mind, the kodiak's claws were purely cosmetic... Even if your player is just a mercenary in a clan mech, the claws would be more likely to just crumple like paper if you tried to hit someone with it. It's why I think it'd be an interesting way to balance clan and inner sphere mechs.

#255 Steelmesh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:33 AM

Melee combat in MWO?

Still neeeeever gonna happen.. :-)

#256 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

Still anxiously awaiting the Axman and Hachetman mechs regardless if melee makes it or not. Come on, PGI. You can do this, just let it happen already.

#257 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

My vote :

Yes (666 votes [85.06%] - View)

Ok, let's get the train rollin ;)

#258 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:10 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 February 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

No, you can still shoot weapons mounted in the arm carrying the melee weapon. It's mounted in the wrist. Only time you can't fire them is when you are swinging the weapon.

I'd give a limb used to deliver melee attacks something similar to the UAC jam mechanic- all weapons on the limb are out for X seconds, then resume normal cooldowns.

By the way, ANY mech with a hand actuator can mount a melee weapon in that arm. Mechs without hands (like the DWF), can still attempt to melee, but risk damaging their weapons in that arm. This is why the IS used melee combat against the clans, and pummeled them that way. Most clan mechs SUCKED at melee.

It wasn't so much that they risked damaging weapons (they don't) but that arms with fewer than the full number of actuators greatly reduce punch damage, can't be used to do pushing, and in general are less versatile about up-close fighting than a 'Mech with a full arm. Plus, Clanners didn't use melee weapons, so you had 'Mechs with hatchets and swords that could easily tear up a Clanner at point-blank range.

And they got rid of collision because Paul had it personally (and recorded to boot) shown how easy it was to stunlock via collisions, warping effects because LOL knockdowns, etc. etc. Charging and DFA attacks that temporarily gave "shot" effects to portions of a 'Mechs hitboxes (and when triggered would deal damage back to the user from "collision damage" would work, much like making punches and kicks into similar "shot" effects as well.

#259 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

85%... PGI, we've been asking since beta. We pay your wages, we're the customer, give us what we want.

#260 Il Gurzo ITA

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:58 AM

For me melee should make a little damage, and have a time to reload the hit as the Gauss rifle, so won't be unbalanced. Melee DMG is good for mechs that lost all their weapons. Melee could be hits with the head, legs, arms. Other weapons could transform enterely the game. A sword make less DMG than a laser. I don't want melee as Call of Duty or Battlefield: 1 hit 1 kill. Another idea could be that melee DMG works only at cored components (because is hard beat an armor that resist lasers). Or another idea could be that melee works if the tonnage of the mech is High, if is low he take that DMG and the other 1 DMG like the flames that make 4 to the enemy and 1 of heat to who use the flamers, so the light could kill Atlas only if has a quite Orange/red Center torso structure.
My idea is for MWO.

Edited by Il Gurzo ITA, 21 June 2018 - 04:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users