#81 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Actually JJs got fixed this patch I believe. From the patch notes:

* The number of jump jets effects proportionally equal to jump jets modules get replaced by damaged effects when jump jets get destroyed

#82 JustAStick

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostTuoweit, on 03 December 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

You're not including the time it takes to research the answer and make sure it's correct (because I'm sure you can imagine the melodramatic shitstorm on the forums if Garth answered a question with mistaken information...). It's not like Garth has the answer to everything at his fingertips, he's got to go interrupt some other PGI employee's work to get many of the answers. The fluff ones he can answer without interrupting anyone, while waiting for other answers, so that's why there's always a few of those answered each time. That, and I imagine it's nice to actually interact like a human being on occasion rather than a corporate PR robot :)

He should have pretty much all of the answers as long as he is aware of what is going on at PGI. Most of these questions aren't that hard to answer; they just require a simple yes or no mostly with maybe a brief explanation.

#83 Murrrks

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 December 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Q: Can we see the option of bypassing the opening animation in the client and go directly to the login screen (either by hitting esc, or through setting an option in the client? The long opening can be rather annoying after a couple of times. [Farix]
A: *Cough pressspacebar cough* [Garth]

wish i had known this earlier !!!!

#84 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

View PostMurrrks, on 06 December 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

wish i had known this earlier !!!!

Yes, it is not the most obvious thing as almost all other games uses ESC or a mouse click to bypass the intros.

#85 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostPPO Kuro, on 05 December 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

It's called trigger discipline! Overheat much? Stop being trigger happy! Too much heat generated by your weapons? LOSE THE ML!! Take SL or something. Ugh. ><

I've actually tried that. On the exact same 'Mech, with four Small Lasers and 2 Streaks as weapons ... IT STILL OVERHEATED.

Let me say that again, for clarity:

A Jenner with four Small Lasers, two Streak SRM-2 launchers, and 13 Double "Improved" Heat Sinks overheats easily, even when on Frozen City.

I don't know how you people are playing so differently that heat isn't a problem for you. I really don't.

I'm a light pilot. I drive Jenners. Or I did, before ECM. Now I drive Commandos and Ravens.

Don't give me any "L2P" type crap either. 519 Wins, 144 Losses (3.60:1); 565 Kills, 223 Deaths (2.53:1); 470,746 XP (no, I haven't activated my Premium Time) since the last reset. My K/D was very close to 4.0 before the four-person team limit was instituted. I'm not even close to the best, but I'm very good. I have adapted. The heat situation shouldn't be this bad. Withholding full-strength doubles right now isn't making it any better, and it certainly won't make it any better when higher-heat weapons arrive with the Clans.

Edited by PapaKilo, 06 December 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#86 Luewen

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 03 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

> : (

Garth and team: Learn how to make battlemechs. Then get back to us. Obviously you guys have no idea how to do it. If you did, you'd see DHS aren't always mandatory. Sometimes, singles make more sense to use.

2.0 or bust!

I dont really get what the hell is the buzz about the DHS. In BT timeline when they came pretty much every mech was using them and making shs obsolete. Why the hell we need to fight against it? Just follow the bt route and let everyone using them then. Just fricking remove the single versions and thats it.

#87 Nuesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFreudenberg

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Thx for this Q&A Garth.... was a good read.

#88 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostBubba Wilkins, on 03 December 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

Meaning what exactly?

That 2.0 DHS in Engines and 1.4's outside?

or

1.4's Throughout? (which will kill a lot of builds right now)

or

1.8 DHS average throughout? (approximately where we are now depending on Mech/Build)

Given the buzz on the forums and the posts made in the last month, I'd say you haven't actually answered the question at all.

That is not where we are right now.

Right now we are 1.4 in Engine or Out, or that is my understanding.

#89 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostLuewen, on 06 December 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I dont really get what the hell is the buzz about the DHS. In BT timeline when they came pretty much every mech was using them and making shs obsolete. Why the hell we need to fight against it? Just follow the bt route and let everyone using them then. Just fricking remove the single versions and thats it.

Just keep in mind what that did even in Tabletop - it made heat completely irrelevant for most builds unless you got an engine crit or something (or were running a 12x ER MedLas Nova... which could still actually alpha strike and not overheat with 20 DHS IIRC.)

Honestly, I'm OK with it either way, but I do actually appreciate that there are reasons to still use SHS, etc.

And, again, we are all working with the same system, so it isn't like you can't adapt your builds and tactics to fit the MWO rules as they are, rather than demand they stick to what was - largely - a complete overhaul of the game at the time.

#90 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostThirdrail, on 03 December 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Wait, my first question was serious.

WHY does PIRANHA games use the skinless head of a minotaur for their logo?! The piranha is a fish! A FISH, I TELL YOU!!!

Because they're trolling you.

#91 Rufus Ingram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostPapaKilo, on 03 December 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Let me tell you, this is a p!ss-poor answer.

Double Heat Sinks are supposed to be a straight upgrade. No reason not to use them, other than your design not having enough free critical slots to take full advantage of them. Who cares if doubles are mandatory? They're not SUPPOSED to be balanced against singles. So it takes twenty or so matches to afford them (assuming you don't win all of the matches) ... so what? They are definitely worth it, when at full strength.

Just like the Ultra and LB-X autocannons are supposed to be straight upgrades. Assuming you can afford the extra cost, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use standard autocannons (especially when LB-X ACs can use standard rounds). They aren't balanced, and they're not supposed to be.

Just like Clan tech is supposed to be a straight upgrade. No sense in trying to balance it out, because you'd just end up nerfing it into the ground. Clan LRMs are supposed to be lighter by half, take up less space, and have no minimum range. Clan standard SRMs are also supposed to be lighter by half. Their Streak launchers are supposed to be lighter as well. Not only that, but they get the full range of Ultra and LB-X autocannons (2, 5, 10, 20) right away, not just the Ultra-5 and LB-10 X. Their Endo Steel takes up only 7 slots, and their Ferro-Fibrous is a 20% bonus for 7 slots instead of a 12% bonus for 14 slots. Their XL engines only take up 2 slots in the L/R torsos, so they don't die when one of the L/R torsos are destroyed. Their double heat sinks only take up 2 slots each, so they can be equipped in the legs and center torso.

I WANT MY FULL-STRENGTH DOUBLE HEAT SINKS, DAMN IT!!! These "Improved" Heat Sinks aren't good enough. Especially with Clan tech looming on the horizon.

Two things:

1. I agree on the straight upgrade statement in general. UACs are supposed to do more than standard ACs, etc.

2. Straight 2.0 DHS won't give us TT equivalent because TT has a single fire rate for all weapons (1/10 seconds) and we have variable fire rates in real-time (ish) in MWO. With additional skill tree modifications for fire-rate without adjusting DHS from TT to fit MWO it would quickly be a problem. I'm sure something should change, but that's the nature of games I suppose, but I think true DHS would be a bigger problem than solution.

#92 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Two things:

1. I agree on the straight upgrade statement in general. UACs are supposed to do more than standard ACs, etc.
2. Straight 2.0 DHS won't give us TT equivalent because TT has a single fire rate for all weapons (1/10 seconds) and we have variable fire rates in real-time (ish) in MWO. With additional skill tree modifications for fire-rate without adjusting DHS from TT to fit MWO it would quickly be a problem. I'm sure something should change, but that's the nature of games I suppose, but I think true DHS would be a bigger problem than solution.

That's still not a viable reason for PGI to tell they're gonna keep them that way. You know, there were a number of viable solutions to the problem, like making DHS more brittle and easy to knock off, maybe make them more expensive by themselves. The general solution will either to reduce crit space limits judged on the mech's section size, or to scale up the structure elements (actuators etc.) in crit space they take from the usual 12 slots based on the same idea.

The problem here, is that PGI decided to take the ridiculous shortcut on that question, by making Double Heatsinks not being Double. They take 1 ton, take 3x space, give 1.4 HDR, so where those are double in anyway?

#93 MeepSire

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

you dont really need DHS if u r a good pilot...

#94 Ratheron

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I know this may sound crazy but what about making the engine ones 1.4 and the slotted ones 2.0 or doing something to where a assault mech would have the ability to slot doubles in there legs? maybe give them an extra slot in each leg and a few more slots in center torso i mean there huge right they should have more slots to deal with than a light mech has. There should be a reason to want to play a Assult mech and honestly at this point and time there really isnt any reason to play anything over a heavy. Lights are currently the go to mech for being able to avoid hits and hitting other mechs. granted alot of this has do to with the fact that there taking less damage there lag shield and the fact that when the shut down from over heating they dont actually stop where they stop so you cant ever shoot them when there in overheat. Oh and you cant knock them over. i mean the best way to deal with a mech that size is to knock him over or when he powers down from overheat to run into him and knock him over. either that or give me an axe to put in my hand so i can swing it at them and chop them into tiny mech bits =)

#95 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostThontor, on 04 December 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

is it really that hard to hit the spacebar 4 times for the same effect?

And Garth did answer the question "either by hitting esc, or through setting an option in the client? "

Its just spacebar instead of esc

Currently when the client is crashing ~10 times in 2-3 hours. Yes, it is really that hard.

#96 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostMeepSire, on 08 December 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

you dont really need DHS if u r a good pilot...

On the contrary my friend. If you're a good pilot and you have DHS'. You can do so much more with your mech :-)

#97 CG Oglethorpe Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Here's your answers!
Q: Can we please at least try DHS at 2.0? It doesn't seem like much of a boost to lights who usually benefit mostly from the engine heat sinks, but heavies and assaults that use big energy weapons need the boost. [Wolfways]
A: No. Prior to releasing the Dual Heatsink upgrade the forums were abuzz with whether or not they would be mandatory on all Mechs. With the numbers we've chosen, they aren't, so I'd say we answered those questions well. [Garth]

Just a question here.
How many people use ER weapons right now? How many serious builds are utilizing ER Large Lasers or ER PPCs? If the first thing that players do is strip the 'State of the Art' Star League weapons off the mech and replace them with inferior 25 year old weapons then something is very wrong.

And to look ahead, if you think the 1.4 "Improved" Heat Sinks are going to work then you really need to review the heat levels on Clan weaponry. The Clans don't run 'medium lasers' they are all ER Medium Lasers with 7 points of heat, just a shade cooler than IS Large Lasers. The forsee the ultimate clan mech as something that mounts 6 ER Medium Lasers and heatsinks filling every available slot.

Edited by CG Oglethorpe Kerensky, 08 December 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#98 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostThirdrail, on 03 December 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

WHY does PIRANHA games use the skinless head of a minotaur for their logo?! The piranha is a fish! A FISH, I TELL YOU!!!

LMFAO I've wondered this for so [REDACTED] long dude brah.

A: At some point I think they might just be. Although we'd have to more strictly filter names; I think you know why :) [Garth]

[REDACTED]

Here's a question, do you guys have any worries that MWO's world will end on 12/12/12?

Edited by Helmer, 09 December 2012 - 01:47 AM.
Edited for content. Bypassing the language filter. insults.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users