106 replies to this topic

#61 chrispalasz

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

I started this thread to try and make use of my ILYA MAUROMETS. After listening to the builds... I'm reluctantly leaning towards the conclusion that I WASTED my money on this piece of junk! I'm so disappointed with it.

It's just not practical! It weighs a lot but can't do enough. It's either too slow and safe but packs a WEAK punch - or fast and decked out but incredibly vulnerable.

I'm sorry but this thing gets OWNED on the battlefield. And when I play this game as one of my other mechs (commando 2D or Catapult) - If I see an enemy in the ILYA --- YEAH, I purposefully pick on that mech because I know it will go down without a fight!!!

It's bluky in all the wrong places. The XL engine goes into the right and left torso - but the bigger problem is that the right and left torso are HUGE!!! How can an enemy NOT hit and destroy the engine???

And this thread is called "BEST ILYA BUILD" - yet some noobs are posting some of the WORST builds I've read. Seriously? The thread isn't asking what build you have. It's asking for a good one... and many of these just aren't good.

IMO - the ILYA isn't worth it's weight in tonnage and it can't carry it's weight of the battle on the field. So when there's an ILYA on a team - since the teams are at least partly balanced by tonnage - that team is at a disadvantage because an ILYA can't hold its own.

I'm not fully given up on this thing. I'm too stubborn. Spent $20 on it... but I'm getting angry (obviously). Because THIS. MECH. SUCKS.

#62 chrispalasz

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 11 December 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

And this is the problem with the IM... nothing it can do cannot be done better on another variant apart from carrying 3 big ballistics. :)

RIGHT!!! And as I said in my post above - when I'm playing MWO and I see an opponent in an ILYA - in my mind I think "FREE KILL!!!!" - those things go down so easily!

When I see an opponent in a different variant of CTF - I don't have that same thought at all. I'm much more cautious.

#63 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Well thanks for starting this topic anyway, I found some useful suggestions here. Now if only you could stop trolling it, so I can have some info regarding how to effectively drive this thing...

Because unlike you I think this mech has serious potential. Hopefuly someone can help a fellow Mechwarrior with some insights into how one operates this mech to its fullest potential.

(Build 3xUAC, 2ML, XL engine)

#64 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Here are two builds that have worked well for me...

2xAC10s (RA/RT for convergence) + 3xMPLs (XL300, endo, DHS)

1xAC10 (RA) + 3 LLs (XL300, endo, DHS)

Neither makes full use of the ballistic hardpoints, but both leave the left arm free to shield with.

#65 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 11 December 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

My personal problem with the 4X is its poor performance. Even with a 255 engine and Speed Tweak you can't even match the stock speed of the other Cataphracts. Some people are ok with this but it drives me nuts. Otherwise it's a great weapons platform.

Well, yeah, but if allowed to do its job it doesn't need much speed - stand a bit back or off to the side of your main group and provide fire support, preferably while drawing minimal fire (good luck with that.)

The Cataphract is fairly durable, it isn't exactly a glass cannon, it's just a big target and capable of a lot of damage so it will likely be a priority target to many players (particularly the 4x.)

The 4X does the most damage of them all, by far, 4x AC/5 or 2x UAC/5 + 2x AC/5... brutal. But it is sustained dps, not burst; you will not fair well against, say, and AC/20 Cat if you are both just standing there shooting each other in the face. Even running around in the 4X isn't all that helpful, with it being such a huge target, so just go for firepower and "try not to be a target" through positioning (again, good luck with that :))

The IM, the 3D, and the 1X can all afford a little more engine, but even 64kph isn't fast enough to offset the giant target-ness of the Cataphract.

And while the IM is probably the least spectacular of the three overall, it is still capable of a lot of DPS. Honestly, I probably do better overall damage with my IM than with my 4X, but the IM is more difficult for me to keep fire on target with the ballistic mounts split between arm and torso.

#66 Fyrerock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I am fairly new to this game, and truth to be told my piloting skills suck, but I do seem to get a lot of kills with my ILYA and if we win, my name is closer to the top then the bottom for the damage screen most times. I have tried 4 out the 5 Cataphract types and my favorite is the ILYA, because it allows me to do 30 damage at long range and 45 alpha at closer range, and still run at 63 Kph with zero heat issues.

It is true that the only role I found that the Cataphract really shines in is the sniper, where you need to stay back and let the real brawlers first get aggro, because a Cataphract is not a tank and for some reasons team players love to target us once we stick our heads out.

But I do have many found memories of my ILYA like the other day, when I killed 2 atlases in about 5 seconds from across the river, or better yet the bain of my life the lights mech's that love to run circles around me. So when I see a commando running straight at me down the hill and my first shot takes him out and you see his body stiffen and he slams head first into the hillside and slide down it, it gives me a very nice warm fuzzy feeling.

#67 The Captain

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

STD245 (56.7 KPH)
DHS (12 total, 22.2 effective)
Endo
432 armor
AC/2 in each arm
AC/20 in right torso
3 DHS and 1 AC/2, 2 AC/20 ammo in left torso
1 AC/20 and 1 AC/2 ammo in each leg

8 DPS from the AC/2's hits well at medium range and strips armor; the AC/20 takes out stripped torsos, cockpits and arms like a champ at close range. Runs a little hot and needs a bit more ammo, but it's great for landing killshots.

#68 syngyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 12 December 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

And while the IM is probably the least spectacular of the three overall, it is still capable of a lot of DPS. Honestly, I probably do better overall damage with my IM than with my 4X, but the IM is more difficult for me to keep fire on target with the ballistic mounts split between arm and torso.

I've found this as well... my 3xUAC/5 Cashaphract tends to deal more damage than my 4xUAC 4x variant. The convergence issues are a bit fiddly, but I think only if you're tracking a fast moving target up close. I usually don't bother shooting at lights unless they're engaged with someone else for this reason. If a light start's circling me, it's time to call for help. ;)

#69 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postchrispalasz, on 12 December 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

I'm not fully given up on this thing. I'm too stubborn. Spent $20 on it... but I'm getting angry (obviously). Because THIS. MECH. SUCKS.

For all of it's faults it definitely does not suck. I adore this build:

3 AC5 3 ML 320XL
Spoiler

It and my CTF-3D are my two favorite mechs to pilot when I get to hunker down and play something heavy.

#70 Guchion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Triple guass.
Yeah sure you'll need to run a 200xl, and reduce a few tons of armour, you'll need endosteel too.

Sure your probably better off with any of the other builds mentioned here.

But sometimes, just sometimes it can be immensely satisfying, just don't expect to live long!

#71 Atayu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I Read through this and did not see my favorite build for this thing.

Weapons:
Right arm large laser and Ac5
Right torso medium laser
Left torso medium laser
Left arm Guass rifle

Ammo:
AC5: 2 tons
Guass: 3 tons

Engine: 300 xl
Double heatsinks
Endo steel internals

I am not at comp with game right now can not remember armor- heat sink load out. But it has high armor values.

#72 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 12 December 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Well, yeah, but if allowed to do its job it doesn't need much speed - stand a bit back or off to the side of your main group and provide fire support, preferably while drawing minimal fire (good luck with that.)

The Cataphract is fairly durable, it isn't exactly a glass cannon, it's just a big target and capable of a lot of damage so it will likely be a priority target to many players (particularly the 4x.)

The 4X does the most damage of them all, by far, 4x AC/5 or 2x UAC/5 + 2x AC/5... brutal. But it is sustained dps, not burst; you will not fair well against, say, and AC/20 Cat if you are both just standing there shooting each other in the face. Even running around in the 4X isn't all that helpful, with it being such a huge target, so just go for firepower and "try not to be a target" through positioning (again, good luck with that ;))

The IM, the 3D, and the 1X can all afford a little more engine, but even 64kph isn't fast enough to offset the giant target-ness of the Cataphract.

I definitely feel that aside from the 4X the 1X/2X/3D/IM are all very capable. My problem with the 4X is that for all of its potential firepower its slow speed puts it in the same class as an Assault. Unfortunately it is most definitely not an Assault and without the massive shake of AC's anymore the 4X's high DPS gets crushed by the even higher DPS of an Assault. The slow speed lets it get out maneuvered by even stock CTF variants. I remember at one point running away from 4 4X's in my stock 3D on Caustic. Had those been any other variant I would have not been able to get away.

I guess it's a case of extreme firepower making too many trade offs. I have a 4X myself that I bought for leveling my Cataphracts but once it hit elite it's collected dust ever since.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 12 December 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#73 Regina Redshift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

View Postchrispalasz, on 12 December 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

I started this thread to try and make use of my ILYA MAUROMETS. ... Spent $20 on it... but I'm getting angry (obviously). Because THIS. MECH. SUCKS.

Easy, killer. The very first thing to do with your 1M is upgrade to DHS. The stock version runs way too hot. It's only 1.5M cbills (the cost of a Commando, but, oh well).

The next thing I did was upgrade to Endo, which drives the total retrofit cost into Jenner territory. After that, upgrade your MLAS to MPLAS and your SLAS to a MLAS.

Lastly, move your ammo somewhere else. Everyone targets the 3D and 1M's side torsos, putting ammo in there is asking for it to blow up and take out your engine.

For piloting, I find this method works. I don't have a stellar KTDR, but this works against every pilot except the top teir ones:

Find a target and core it. Don't waste your time removing arms, legs or heads. (Convergence issues will prevent you from headshots anyway). Also don't waste your time firing at bad facings, you don't have ammo, heat, or time to waste. If the enemy rotates their torso away from you, let them... as soon as they turn back to you, rock them with your ACs to throw off their aim.

Cycle through your weapons: AC5s, MPLASes, MLAS, AC10, repeat. And don't chase lights... other 'mechs do this better.

#74 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

I've had decent success with a slower build. I dropped all the way down to a standard 210, which keeps with the atlai, which is where you should be as heavy direct-fire support.

I mount two AC/5s in the arms, two MLAS in the torsos, and for the coup-de-grace, an AC/20 in the torso. When you're chugging away with the AC/5, often a Cent or a hunchie will feel confident enough to run up on you... and AC/20 to the face!

I added Endo and DHS, and adjusted the armor to carry 2 tons of AC/20 and 4 tons of AC/5 ammo. Sustainable fire, with a decent number of 20 dmg uppercuts for the close-range fights.

#75 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostPr8Dator, on 11 December 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

Just for discussion sake but you can do that config on a 3D too right? Why IM? What sets the IM apart for you? (i may be wrong cos I dun own a 3D. I own the IM, 2X and 4X)

Both uac on arms (vertical shots), faster than 4x, 30% more cbills and a cool looking paintjob. Doing 700-1k dmg on a regular basis.

I ran tripple ac5 but the dmg just wasnt there. I enjoy XL'd tripple uac setups until i get torso-cored...

Edited by Budor, 12 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#76 chrispalasz

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Okay... I'm settling down a little bit. I stuck with it and stuck with it - and trusted the consensus (3xAC/5) and gone with a suggested build on page 1 that is working pretty well --- provided I change my playing style a lot.

Gotta stay grouped up with other mechs that can take a hit and do NOT lead the charge, but rather focus fire on an enemy mech somebody else is already hitting - let them absorb some damage and if they take too many hits and start backing away, step up and take some hits for them and continue pounding the victim.

I've heard about the triple AC/5 triple ML - - - but I didn't realize you can successfully fit triple AC/5 2ML 1LL. Did it. It works as advertised and so far I'm quite liking it.

Need to know:
Endo upgrade - NO armor upgrade
XL300 engine with 2 DHS inside
2 Medium Lasers + 1 Large Laser
3 AC/5s + 5 tons of ammo

can Spam the 3 AC/5s and Large Laser freely.
Firing all the lasers (2ML +1LL) takes heat to 22%

Speed = 69.4

Oh... and lower leg armor to 50 each to make it all work. This was a brilliant move beacuse Cataphracts are so bulky and vulnerable up top, most don't bother firing at the legs anyways.

View PostKerenskyClone, on 12 December 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Well thanks for starting this topic anyway, I found some useful suggestions here. Now if only you could stop trolling it, so I can have some info regarding how to effectively drive this thing...

You clearly don't know what trolling means... but you're welcome.

Edited by chrispalasz, 12 December 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#77 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

View Postchrispalasz, on 12 December 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Okay... I'm settling down a little bit. I stuck with it and stuck with it - and trusted the consensus (3xAC/5) and gone with a suggested build on page 1 that is working pretty well --- provided I change my playing style a lot.

Gotta stay grouped up with other mechs that can take a hit and do NOT lead the charge, but rather focus fire on an enemy mech somebody else is already hitting - let them absorb some damage and if they take too many hits and start backing away, step up and take some hits for them and continue pounding the victim.

I've heard about the triple AC/5 triple ML - - - but I didn't realize you can successfully fit triple AC/5 2ML 1LL. Did it. It works as advertised and so far I'm quite liking it.

Need to know:
Endo upgrade - NO armor upgrade
XL300 engine with 2 DHS inside
2 Medium Lasers + 1 Large Laser
3 AC/5s + 5 tons of ammo

can Spam the 3 AC/5s and Large Laser freely.
Firing all the lasers (2ML +1LL) takes heat to 22%

Speed = 69.4

Oh... and lower leg armor to 50 each to make it all work. This was a brilliant move beacuse Cataphracts are so bulky and vulnerable up top, most don't bother firing at the legs anyways.

Glad it's working for you! I've had a lot of success with the 3x AC5 build. I prefer speed on mine (hence the massive 320XL) but if you prefer the 300XL and additional firepower more power to you.

#78 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

Ok another question for all of you Iliya veterans...

Im thinking of loosing the XL engine and going for a weaker STD engine (after I equip Endo Steel)

Is it worth it? Specifically I mean this is supposed to be a moneymaker mech, yet I find that if I get destroyed my repair costs can run quite high.

Will my repair costs be lower if I equip a standard engine (and endosteel) ??

#79 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I understand not liking this mech at first. IT didnt work for me either until It did. I personally dont love the UAc5x3 for myself. I drop the hip mounted one and go for an LBX10 and keep my medium lasers and the xl 280. Its fast enough and I always seem to beat other 3xUAC5 iM in a straight brawl, its funny really. I may just be getting a lucky jam or Im a better shot, but I highly support non standard builds. For me I like the speed. 3/3 weapon balance much more so than a 4x. Actually the 4x is the only cataphrach I dont own but I feel the muromets does the same thing, better.

#80 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostKerenskyClone, on 13 December 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

Ok another question for all of you Iliya veterans...

Im thinking of loosing the XL engine and going for a weaker STD engine (after I equip Endo Steel)

Is it worth it? Specifically I mean this is supposed to be a moneymaker mech, yet I find that if I get destroyed my repair costs can run quite high.

Will my repair costs be lower if I equip a standard engine (and endosteel) ??

Get rid of the XL if you are going to be brawling imo. If you are tangling from outside brawl range, harrassing or sniping, XL is perfect for positioning and extraction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users