Who plays the Clanners Part 2 - How to select a Clanner.

49 replies to this topic

Poll: How should who gets to play the clans be handled? (134 member(s) have cast votes)

How to choose who gets to be Clan.

1. Real money purchase? (Oh He*l no, please no!) (2 votes [1.49%])

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

2. Trial of position? (daily/weekly etc) (41 votes [30.60%])

Percentage of vote: 30.60%

3. Open to all. (no restrictions) (27 votes [20.15%])

Percentage of vote: 20.15%

4. Open to all. (But begins 6 months before invasion (clan v clan until invasion and then a trial to be able to attack the inner sphere) ) (41 votes [30.60%])

Percentage of vote: 30.60%

5. Don't let players play clan. (I know very unlikely but for balance it needs to be in the Poll.) (23 votes [17.16%])

Percentage of vote: 17.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

Okay guys ... Get voting.

Edited by woodstock, 04 November 2011 - 06:27 AM.

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

picked my suggestion

Open to all. (But begins 6 months before invasion (clan v clan until invasion)

Edited by CoffiNail, 04 November 2011 - 06:03 AM.

#3 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 04 November 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

picked my suggestion of course :)
[color=#959595]Open to all. (But begins 6 months before invasion (clan v clan until invasion)[/color]

he/l it is a good idea ..had to be in the Poll :D

#4 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

Trial of Position, I do not question my skills!

#5 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:06 AM

Open to all. Let folks play what they want to play.

#6 Sideways

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNAS Sigonella, Sicily Italy.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I'd pay but yeah given the option I'd prefer not to. Trial of Position is good as long as you don't have to continue to test out, or maybe a month test based on your k/d ratio...if you're above a certain percentage no need to test, etc.

#7 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

View PostSideways, on 04 November 2011 - 06:10 AM, said:

I'd pay but yeah given the option I'd prefer not to. Trial of Position is good as long as you don't have to continue to test out, or maybe a month test based on your k/d ratio...if you're above a certain percentage no need to test, etc.

Nah I think a simple trial of position would be enough to unlock the clan character option. You are clearly not an arthritic old man etc.

#8 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

View PostSideways, on 04 November 2011 - 06:10 AM, said:

re-testing out would be bad imo, if you have an awesome character and for some reason you miss the days for re-testing do you lose all that...this would be bad. Also what if you lose? You lose all the swag stuff you had, seems pretty steep for one fight. Although for lore sake I could get behind it, I do not foresee myself missing or losing retesting sessions.

#9 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

sorry missed something in option 4 ... :)

#10 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

yeah I changed my vote to option four, did not read the whole thing.

#11 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

Lets be honest; IS players are eventually going to be running around with Clantech anyway, if at all possible. The balance issue isn't actually all that much in the mechs available so much as it is in the skill of the players. The clans can be something special, still, if we more or less restrict it to the best players, so I suggest:

Limiting the size of each clan to a tiny percentage of the player base. The clans were certainly outnumbered, and this should remain the case. Especially with Bidding and wot in the equation.
Have systems in place to track whether players do dishonorable things. DFA's, leggings, headshots... I'm not against them in the game, but the fluff clanners are. Doing these things too often before becoming a Clanner should disqualify you. Doing them after at all should make you answer for your actions to your higher ups.
Have Trials of Position that require X time without doing anything dishonorable, and also that you beat someone rather skilled. This keeps the top brass of the clans as the most clan-like players, and is not overly restrictive to the point of preventing people from playing clans entirely.

There should be more than one way to get kicked out of a clan, including losing a trial of position while at the lowest rank or something, provided the Clan has hit its limit. This means you don't have to try to hand-pick which players are good. The system will work it out for you.

Clans should probably also have inferior information warfare setups... dunno if the canon supports it, but I don't think they'd find all that sneaking around honorable.

---

I probably won't even try to play as Clan myself, but I **** sure want the best pilots around to be playing them. I should not expect to be able to go toe-to-toe with a clanner; I should have to coordinate with my Lance and take them out intelligently. And if it's just some crappy AI, I'm going to be able to kick its *** even if it has near-perfect aim, as the high-level bots in MW4 do.

#12 IS Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:20 AM

View Postomegaclawe, on 04 November 2011 - 06:32 AM, said:

Have systems in place to track whether players do dishonorable things. DFA's, leggings, headshots... I'm not against them in the game, but the fluff clanners are. Doing these things too often before becoming a Clanner should disqualify you. Doing them after at all should make you answer for your actions to your higher ups.

About the only thing you listed that would be a violation of Clan honour would be DFA's as they would be considered a form of melee combat. Legging and headshots are not contrary to the rules of engagement.

Heck, leggings are perfectly acceptable, especially, when one considers the whole Bondsman concept. How else do you think they are gained? By asking nicely?

And head capping is quite appropriate for a Trial of Annihilation.

#13 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

View Postomegaclawe, on 04 November 2011 - 06:32 AM, said:

Lets be honest; IS players are eventually going to be running around with Clantech anyway, if at all possible. The balance issue isn't actually all that much in the mechs available so much as it is in the skill of the players. The clans can be something special, still, if we more or less restrict it to the best players, so I suggest:

Limiting the size of each clan to a tiny percentage of the player base. The clans were certainly outnumbered, and this should remain the case. Especially with Bidding and wot in the equation.

Have Trials of Position that require X time without doing anything dishonorable, and also that you beat someone rather skilled. This keeps the top brass of the clans as the most clan-like players, and is not overly restrictive to the point of preventing people from playing clans entirely.

There should be more than one way to get kicked out of a clan, including losing a trial of position while at the lowest rank or something, provided the Clan has hit its limit. This means you don't have to try to hand-pick which players are good. The system will work it out for you.

Clans should probably also have inferior information warfare setups... dunno if the canon supports it, but I don't think they'd find all that sneaking around honorable.

---

I probably won't even try to play as Clan myself, but I **** sure want the best pilots around to be playing them. I should not expect to be able to go toe-to-toe with a clanner; I should have to coordinate with my Lance and take them out intelligently. And if it's just some crappy AI, I'm going to be able to kick its *** even if it has near-perfect aim, as the high-level bots in MW4 do.

Partially agree. Bidding was a VOLUNTARY process so forcibly reducing the number of clanners is ridiculous, against the canon & is going to turn people off.

Who says legging, headshots or DFAs are dishonorable? Let Clanners speak for clanners. If you do not know, do not try to pretend.

A Trial of Position does not take long. Each clan does it differently but it is mostly the same procedure: 1 candidate faces 3 opponents. That is not going to take X time.

Each Clan will make its own rules regarding who gets kicked out & why. Remember we are ALL players but a few of us coming together will make a clan/Clan. It will be up to those few to determine what they view as their MO. I suspect that if a person or persons do not agree with that, they will leave.

What was it Adam Steiner said? Oh yes, "information is ammunition". According to canon, the Clans approached ComStar first to work out the spread (or lack thereof) of information. Also Clan Wolf was in the IS in 3049 gathering intelligence to use to their advantage. It was Smoke Jaguar who intercepted the IS vessel & "procured" information from the crew that they used to tip the balance of power between the Wardens & Crusaders & get the "GO" vote for the invasion. So no, we have no problem sneaking around gathering intel. Again if you do not know, do not pretend.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 04 November 2011 - 08:16 AM.

#14 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

A little off topic guys

#15 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

If so I will vote for Trial of Position on a regular basis. I think that is fair. So your skill decides if you are worth to be a Clanner. I still don´t like Clanners... just speaking for the rest. :)

#16 Galaxy613

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 71 posts
  • LocationUSA, VA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Trial of Position should be the way. When you create a Clan character you should be stuck in "Sibko" mode where you can only fight against others in your Sibko and only have the most basic equipments. Once you actually win a Trial of Position you can actually fight other factions.

#17 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

That actually sounds like a good idea. (Y)

#18 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

Alright, so I don't know. I'm just getting this from osmosis, and in the other thread, lots of people were claiming that clanners didn't like legging and headshots and whatnot. Do whatever clanners are supposed to do right, then.

#19 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

trial of position, a special duel with wicked hard bots (other wise how do we keep trials tough and unbiased?)
also, upon becoming a clanner, you lose all your IS holdings (that werent paid for with real money) and you are
put on the clan system of economics. lets see you enjoy clan tech from a second line formation cause you suck
at trials :)

#20 Valerian Mengsk

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

Open to all, no restrictions. If people get to join the House of their choice without restrictions it makes sense to have the same freedom for joining a Clan. Although my guess is that a fee will be charged for new content on this scale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users