Pug Herding: The Lone Wolf's Guide To Overcoming Pug Grief

54 replies to this topic

#1 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Are you sick of PUGs? Tired of dying, angry, cbill-less, with your blood pressure through the roof? Are you about to log on to the MWO General Discussion forums and make another post about how premades are ruining your game, and making yourself feel better with a good round of internet QQ, only to have people belittle you, your mother, and your unfortunate character flaws?

Well fear not sad pandas, your troubles are over. With our throughly researched and detailed guide, you too can PUG for FUN and PROFIT.

After learning and putting into play these cutting edge techniques, you too can become Lord of the PUGs, leading your own little army of scabs and cutthroats to your own little puppet dance.

Previous satisfied comments include:

'Thanks guys, you've made me realise how silly I was expecting human decency from the internets. I feel better now knowing and expecting everyone out there is a *#@(#'

'$*#& you noob!'

'PONIES!'

'Your guide is awesome! I now have become a professional manipulator of those below me. My real life career of middle management has taken off as well! Thanks!'

So without further ado:

Stage 1: Denial
This can't be happening, surely people aren't all complete tards, I'm sure things can only get better and PGI will somehow become competent and give me proper matchmaking.

What are PUGs?

Pugs are:
  • Not the elite killer team of Kuritan robot samurai or hardbitten warriors with a heritage dating back to the Star League you were hoping for.
  • Not there purely to raise your blood pressure.
  • Not ALL suicide farmers or advanced AFK bots.
  • Often misunderstood and equally frustrated individuals like yourself.
Accept this, and move on.

Stage 2: Anger
Why are you all so crap! I hate all of you, I hate this game. You're all out to get me. Screw you PGI!

Expecting team play? Frag that crap and vent it through an airlock. You want a team who listens, join a clan, or download a VOIP client.

You have a bunch of 7 people, who at worst will be AFK suicide Chinese-Nigerian Farmer Bots, and at best a set of derpy companions with the equivalent use of the average Friendly AI in most video games. With the occasional decent player thrown in.

Let's start from there.

Stage 3: Bargaining
Okay, maybe I'll bring a good build, and if I try my best, people will get that and try their best too. I'm sure people will appreciate it if I use TAG and call out targets.

Want to play your LRM boat? Good. Stop pugging, get TS/Vent/Mumble, find a team.

Otherwise realise that coming in with any build that requires teamwork is like expecting to find the kind of camraderie that puts the noble nature of the human spirit on display at a Black Friday sale.

As such, bring something with punch that can hold its own. A brawler, a scout hunter, a light striker. Basically something that will allow you to do a Cartman, and still do something when you take your toys and go home.

Stage 4: Depression
Why bother, they're all terrible anyway. All that will happen is that they'll die. I best accept it. Hell, maybe I should invest in a Chinese-Nigerian Suicide Bot program.

For those of you who are more idealistic, you can first try to ORGANISE the PUGs. Yes, I know, why should you, someone else should do it, or they're all useless whoresons who belittle you anyway.

If you think like that, then perhaps I could interest you in picking up some self-help literature on entitlement.

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1416575995

However, if you're a normal, decent person, who knows the fact that sometimes you have to make the first step, then yes, by all means try. Sometimes, people still have the ability to surprise you.

A friendly message on team chat, a suggestion as to what plan to take, big things often start from small gestures.

And if they do, then by all means, enjoy the shred of human decency you've managed to scrounge up from this cesspit of scum known as the MWO pugging community.

Of course, in general, there's a reason why stereotypes exist. If you're met by silence, or witty questions as to the chastity of your dear mother, then by all means, move on to Step 5.

Stage 5: Acceptance
You're all crap. But I'm better than this.

First, let me quantify this. If you're lousy at the game, at least in holding your own in a brawl, the game is now doing quite a good job of letting you know this fact.

And if you being lousy, is in fact, fact, then stop reading this guide, get off your high horse, and go learn to get better.

Join a clan, join TS, or read a few guides and watch a few videos. A good team doesn't want to carry your sorry behind either, so don't expect it to.

If however, you're of a decent standard, then you're now looking to salvage whatever you can out of this miserable, misbegotten bunch of derps.

Winning is no longer the goal. Putting yourself as far up the leaderboard, and winning as much XP and monies as you can is the best you can hope for.

Making Lemonade

1. Stick together (conditionally)

A smart man knows that no tool is useless. One day, even that square wheel or that helicopter ejection seat could come in useful.

So, when possible, stick with the sheep. You can't use a tool you throw away.

1.5. Don't lemming.

Pugs will be Pugs. Should they choose a path of colossal stupidity, you may wish to exercise your discretion and refuse to follow.

However, please note that often, you're better off pushing with them, then selling your life as dearly as possible, since capping no longer has much value, and your damage potential falls the less fodder you have to soak damage for you.

2. Use the PUGs. Unflinchingly.

At this point, having failed to find any redeeming qualities in your PUGs, you can safely relegate them to the same level of respect you have for disposable sporks.

Never lead the pack. Hang back, and focus on maintaining good situational awareness.

When a brawl breaks out, never draw aggro. Always fade back if you begin to draw attention, while maintaining as much damage output as you can.

If you're a straight out frontline brawler, then your best bet is to throw it all into the main brawl when it breaks out. Look for wounded or vulnerable targets, and aim for those. LRM boats, Long Range Direct Fire support that is more fragile, depending on what you run, go for those.

If you're a light striker or scout hunter, then find something to kill. LRM boats, other lights, vulnerable brawlers with a turned back. If you're a light striker/scout hunter worth his salt, then you're probably pretty independant even when playing in a team anyway.

And if you have the speed to run, do so if the brawl goes bad. Normally lights will chase you leaving their heavier team mates behind, allowing you a chance to pick them off without suffering from focus fire.

2.5. Prey on the Weak

Lone wolves don't have a pack backing them up to take down the harder targets. And in cases like these, its the hyenas and jackals among us that prosper.

Always be on the lookout for vulnerable targets. Cycle through targeting, and find those who are ready for the coup de grace. Circle around the battle if you must to reach the weak.

Never, I repeat NEVER, try to revert back to expecting something from the team, and doing something silly like helping them altruistically. Why? See the next point...

3. Never. Rely. On. Anyone.

Once you're set on your path, do not, under any circumstances, expect help from a PUG. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

If you want to yell on teamchat for help when all hope is gone, by all means. Miracles may happen.

But save yourself the apoplectic fit trying to figure out why that bloody Raven is trying to kill an Atlas with a small laser rather than going to cap.

4. Finally, and most importantly, realise this is a team game.

The equation is thus:

No skill < Personal Skill < Teamwork < Personal Skill + Teamwork

Until we have FFA deathmatch, you're going to have to accept that there are people out there who have teamwork, and seeing as to how this is a team based game, there are plenty of them, and they will kick your teeth out.

That is the whole idea, more than the sum of its parts and all that.

So make the best of it, with the hope PGI releases a mode more suited for the Lone Wolves among us :)

Happy Pugging. I hope this at least helps a few of you avoid smashing your monitors in :ph34r:

Edited by Valore, 17 January 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#2 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Lol

#3 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I like this post. Just the right amount of smart-assery and real information.

#4 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I domesticate squirrels.

#5 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

welp that was pretty comprehensive.

#6 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Short version.

Have fun, don't sweat it, phase 3 will make things better.

#7 WTChance

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 90 posts
  • Locationmobile. really. i drive 3k/5k miles/km a week.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

but...but...but...I thought a .1 KDR was good for a PUG FRR scout?

Seriously, I pretty much live by the OP here. Still fun, still dying.

#8 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

nice guide.
Ill add, Dont say"plan" ? thats the worst... Say something simple concise.
"take them down, one at a time... You see smoke? finish him"

Or "lets move here, wait for the bas..... theyll come"

or .. if you see you have a few lights...
"stick together, little guys, focus on their lights, lets try and take them out first. Assaults , watch our lights backs"

If you have half a brain, dont be afraid to type in game once the fur flies. If you have already established txt communication with your team as you head to the front, it is more likely the team will respond when the battle is joined.

Just be smart, you know if you have a good tactical brain. It seems all it takes half the time is ONE move to secure victory, or at least give the other guys a good fight.

"all it takes is one kill to get the ball rolling. Lets go kill someone "

#9 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Dug it. Very good.

#10 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I use reverse psychology. Before most games I tell the PUGs something like:

"HAY GUISE LETS ALL SPREAD OUT AND DIE ONE BY ONE."

or

"OK, here's the plan. Let's each run off alone and die doing something dumb."

It even works, sometimes!

#11 MegaMasher

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Seeing the Kubler-Ross model in MWO is quite humorous.

#12 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Funny and informative. A rare quality.

#13 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Where is the imbibe alcohol until it no longer matters phase?

#14 Gulinborsti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 185 posts
  • LocationVienna/Austria

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Great and true to the bone.

Tiphat!

#15 W00DSTER

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I appluad this post.

#16 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Excellent PUG guide.

+1 Wolfnets

#17 orion0117

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAbyssal Netz

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Exactly the post that I wanted to see. This is a game, it's FREE, it's for FUN.

#18 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of the Eastern US

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Good use of the word "whoreson". Nice to see other people using it. Bonus points if you refer to someone as a "ravening ditch pig".

#19 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 17 January 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Where is the imbibe alcohol until it no longer matters phase?

That's not so much a phase or stage is it is a way of life.

Wait ...

#20 siLve00

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

do i have to read it all before i can send him to hell ?

:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users