F2P Players Need A Way To Acquire 'mech Bays Without Buying Mc.

417 replies to this topic

#101 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

This topic is actually an indicator that PGI is doing something very right in making a fair free to play title. Most free to play games are so pay to win, that nobody would even consider a strange idea like the OP's.

The original post shows that playing this game without paying money is very viable, thus being a very fair, soft free to play model. This gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling and encourages me to spend some more money. :blink:

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 14 February 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#102 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostM A L I C E, on 14 February 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

F2P PLAYERS NEED A WAY TO ACQUIRE 'MECH BAYS WITHOUT BUYING MC.

No they don't.

Feel kind of weird doing this, but I have to agree with Malice on this one.

My reason being that the actual price of a permanent mech bay is so ridiculously cheap there is really no reason that anyone couldn't collect enough change off the sidewalk and get a friend to trade it for $7 to their papal account in a few weeks of staring at the sidewalk as you walked it.

#103 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostFactorlanP, on 14 February 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

This thread had no reason to go beyond post two. Malice is correct.

:blink: What has the world come to?

#104 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostPihb, on 14 February 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Wtf is going on with all the "gimmi more free stuff" threads. This isn't Europe, you actually have to pay for **** here folks.

are you a conservative? your hatred is leaking out.

On topic: mechbays are cheap. If you can't afford seven bux for the smallest MC package, you probably should find a less expensive pastime than PC gaming.

#105 Crocjaw

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Seems like a lot of trouble for a buck 75. Seems like we as players get a whole lot for nothing. Doesnt seem very American to have a 4 car garage and want the government to build you more....when your house was free. We really are spoiled to have that attitude about this game. I am so happy that someone finally got Mechwarrior going again. I think I'll go buy another mechbay to show my appreciation.THANK YOU SO MUCH! Please dont let the....hmm how can I say this...."illegitami non carborundum."

Again thanks so much for all you have given us.

Crocus

#106 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostM A L I C E, on 14 February 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

F2P PLAYERS NEED A WAY TO ACQUIRE 'MECH BAYS WITHOUT BUYING MC.

No they don't.

The only way I approve of is to stop being a F2P player, and spend the mere $1.25-$2 per bay, foregoing your vending machine run for the day.

That aside, just get used to selling back 1-3 of your least favorite mechs.

#107 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 February 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

:blink: What has the world come to?

Yggdrasill has fallen. Now is the time of cataclysm, fire, and blood. Now is the time of Ragnarök.

#108 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

View PostKhanCipher, on 14 February 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Team Fortress 2 would like to have a word with you

Team Fortress 2 isn't technically free to play. You have to dump $5 into steam to actually have access to everything. Honestly, calling it free to play is completely incorrect, it's still using the standard retail model, it just has an extended demo.

View PostLukoi, on 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

F2P wall?

Ok, just one question....what is the incentive for this company to make the game for if not to turn some semblance of profit? None. If there is just ONE wall for f2p, purchasable mechbays might be reasonably considered to be it.

If you play and enjoy a game completely for free, then you should do so at some cost of convenience...in this game's case, the limited number of mechbays to deal with stuff. It's not unreasonable. You can literally do everything else without spending a penny and if you're really that intent on spending zero...so you suffer through mechbay management a smidge and do so.

The Devs have zero requirement or obligation to make every single barrier to the game free. You can play. For Free. If you want more flexibility and convenience that's where you set down a few sawbucks and that's where PGI makes some money. It's a business.....not a game developing charity.

The way the most successful free to play games convince people to pay is in making the game attractive and playable to everyone and selling vanity and convienience items. Creating a "wall" drives away potential players and makes other players slightly less likely to buy things. People spend more when they want to than they do if they have to.

#109 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostAEgg, on 14 February 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Team Fortress 2 isn't technically free to play. You have to dump $5 into steam to actually have access to everything. Honestly, calling it free to play is completely incorrect, it's still using the standard retail model, it just has an extended demo.

TF2 is totally free to play. There are just additional features that you can pay to access. That is the F2P model. TF2 is F2P. LOL.

Edited by Wales Grey, 14 February 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#110 Phenakist

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Couldn't disagree more. 4 mech slots is plenty for someone who is playing for free.

#111 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Some people seems to missunderstand what F2P means. It doesn not mean that the game is ment to be played for free for all time without any issues. What it does mean is that you can play it out and try it out without paying, but you will eventually want to pay a small amount at the least. This is the "Wall" you are talking about. Eventually so is it unconvinient to not buy any mech bay slots and thus most will pay the very small amount needed to keep playing if they like the game.

As for the misconception that this game being a F2P game it shouldn't ever cost anything. A game like this is a AAA game or rather it costs even more then a standard FPS to develop as the skins and 3d models for the mechs are huge, with hit boxes for multiple locations. Most FPS games have 2 hit boxes, head and "the rest". Just be happy that a game like this is F2P in the first place if you can't afford 7$ on mech bays.

#112 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

The way the most successful free to play games convince people to pay is in making the game attractive and playable to everyone and selling vanity and convienience items. Creating a "wall" drives away potential players and makes other players slightly less likely to buy things. People spend more when they want to than they do if they have to.

You don't have to. At all. Period.

I've played plenty of successful F2P. They all find a way to entice you, some people consider that a barrier to full enjoyment or a wall. In MWO the wall is pretty darned low. If you can't be bothered to hop over it for a few bucks, feel free to walk around by cycling your Mechs.

#113 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostWales Grey, on 14 February 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

TF2 is totally free to play. There are just additional features that you can pay to access. That is the F2P model. TF2 is F2P. LOL.

I suppose that depends on how you define "demo".

I can't think of a single other "free to play" game that gives you everything, permanently, for $5. I guess you could call TF2 the ultimate pay to win game, if you REALLY wanted to. It's just that the price is $5 and it's a one-time payment. But that's kind of like calling every game ever made pay to win because you have to pay $60 to actually play the game beyond the demo (and thus potentially win).

#114 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

The way the most successful free to play games convince people to pay is in making the game attractive and playable to everyone and selling vanity and convienience items. .

Btw, you're actually agreeing with me right there :blink:

#115 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostWales Grey, on 14 February 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Yggdrasill has fallen. Now is the time of cataclysm, fire, and blood. Now is the time of Ragnarök.

Switching to troll mode now...

I'm sorry I don't have enough mech bays for "Ragnarök"....

#116 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Not to add to the pile-on, but if not this, OP, how does PGI make money? You have a few "free" mechbays; you pay for "perks" like extra ones. No-brainer IMHO.

#117 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

No no no

The only thing worse than spacepoor is a spacemiser....

#118 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 14 February 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Switching to troll mode now...

I'm sorry I don't have enough mech bays for "Ragnarök"....

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have enough by 3060. :blink:

#119 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostLukoi, on 14 February 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

You don't have to. At all. Period.

I've played plenty of successful F2P. They all find a way to entice you, some people consider that a barrier to full enjoyment or a wall. In MWO the wall is pretty darned low. If you can't be bothered to hop over it for a few bucks, feel free to walk around by cycling your Mechs.

There's little difference between an actual paywall (i.e. pay-only tanks in WoT or hero mechs here) and an equivalent one (i.e. EVERYTHING in Battlefield:Heroes after it flopped). The issue of discussion here is how far is acceptable before the game is a waste of time for non-paying players. I'm kind of impartial on pay-only mechbays. I really don't know how difficult it would be to stick to just four since my premium time bought thirty or so and I'll thus never run into the issue.

#120 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostMycrus, on 14 February 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

No no no

The only thing worse than spacepoor is a spacemiser....

Can you buy mech bays with food stamps? Or SNAP or what ever F2P eaters of the world are calling it these days...

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users