Shooting Needlessly At Drop=Annoying

41 replies to this topic

#1 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

It might be just me, but I have noticed lately that the more weapons are fired off at drop seems to lessen the chance that our team wins that game. I don't think its due to a lack of ammo either. So.. please help to help yourselves and stop acting like a 10 year old on crack and focus your fire on the enemy. You know who you are.

Please do not give the excuse that you need to test your heat. Test your heat in the test area, that's why they made it. It's annoying. Seriously. This strategy will assist in making PUGs more cohesive, focused and seeming a lot less like a field trip on the short bus.

This post was made for the small percentage that can and will bother to read.

Edited by Carcass23, 23 May 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#2 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

I bother to read. I also spray lasers in the sky for fun because I can. The derps that friendly fire can be annoying, but people taking pot shots at the cliff face as we march to combat is hardly proof the team suxxx. Lasers are freegin cool, so I like to shoot them. when in combat, I do not have time or otherwise to shoot them for fun. If someone else helps me draw a smiley face in the cliff as we walk past, all the better.

MWO: srs biznus. Besides, restrant from laser spray is hardly going to improve someones play talents. Lighten up my man.

#3 LoveMaker

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNational City, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I agree with the OP. Not because I think it has anything to do with win/loss ratios. Hell, ten year olds on crack (or Mt. Dew) can probably play 1st person shooters better than I ever will. But, It takes away from the immersion. A saving grace of this game is that Battletech has quite a following and that fandom creates a better atmosphere, imo, than other video games.

#4 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

I agree that there is often a stupidity element to turn-start firing, and that it should not be done for the sake of making noise or just for the hell of it.

But at the same time, I typically do it one or two times on occasion to test new weapon groups or setups. Mine tend to be glitchy and need redoing sometimes. (I think it's an issue with chain-firing setups.)

#5 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Scotsman has the right of it. Sometimes I'm in a game and just need to check which side of my torso a given laser is installed in to configure weapon groups. I could start an entire Testing Grounds match for it, waste the load time on either end of the game - when I remember that Testing Grounds is there in the first place, which I often don't - or I could just take ten seconds out of the start of a match and use my smaller 'Mechs' speed to get me back to the fight.

And you know what? Sometimes I just feel like lasering a window on that building over there. It doesn't hurt anything. Why not? A beam here and there is hardly alpha-striking a dozen times into the open air before a match starts proper - that's broadcasting my group's position to the enemy and is uncool. But someone tossing off a shot or two into the dirt at start isn't going to affect the game one way or another, eh?

#6 Calzin

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't mind it if someone is really checking, but for the love of god people need to check what they are firing at. I have been alpha striked in the leg once today(being crippled right off the bat was fun), and a few other times I have left the drop zone with wounded back/leg/arms.

Just point your weapons at the nearest corner and go to town for the first 10 or so seconds, that's fine. Don't unload the moment your able to because people spawn in from of you most the time.

Edited by Calzin, 24 May 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#7 CitizenDick

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts
  • LocationApopka, Fl

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostCarcass23, on 23 May 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

It might be just me, but I have noticed lately that the more weapons are fired off at drop seems to lessen the chance that our team wins that game. I don't think its due to a lack of ammo either. So.. please help to help yourselves and stop acting like a 10 year old on crack and focus your fire on the enemy. You know who you are.

Please do not give the excuse that you need to test your heat. Test your heat in the test area, that's why they made it. It's annoying. Seriously. This strategy will assist in making PUGs more cohesive, focused and seeming a lot less like a field trip on the short bus.

This post was made for the small percentage that can and will bother to read.

Depending on what map your on...some wild lasers in the sky can be seen a mile away...obviously giving away location....

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Pew pew PEW PEW pew pew pewpewpewpew!

My TAG seems to be set to annoy!

#9 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

I think it's more a case of correlation than causation, meaning, if you have more people who are likely to shoot off at the start of a round, they are also most likely disorganised and not focused on working coherently. The shooting itself is a symptom of an underlying disorder.

#10 Psikez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Telling someone not to do something is a surefire way to get them to do it even more :D

#11 S p a n i a r d

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Sometimes i try to focus all the 1 second beam of my 3 large lasers on a piece of rock

that i see while I am moving. Just practicing. Coz it makes a difference. Or i swivel my mouse to

create an "S" in a nearby wall/cliff/house to get a feel for the lag. I think it's all right to do that as

long as I'm not doing FF

#12 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

As long as you don't go laser light show in the sky or waste ammo based weaponry ammo, I don't care, tbh I always alpha the floor at the start of the match to double check how much heat my alpha strike deals to make sure im right... it realy sucks to be wrong when your mech is made of paper and you make a error.

#13 Uncleclint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Spamfire kids from Methlab...

Each time one of my own team fires a weapon (w/o enemy on the radar) i am checking for damage in my back, it happened so often in the past that i´ve developed some kind of frenzy fire paranoia or call it whatever you want.
Each time one of my own team fires a weapon (w/o enemy on the radar) i suppose there´s an enemy nearby - but no, it has to be a laser in the sky again telling the other team exactly where our mechs are.
Each time one of my own team fires a weapon (w/o enemy on the radar) i know there´s just another useless pilot that is going to die before doing anything that actually helps the team.

In modern (enven ancient) military these guys would be put on trial right after the battle for not holding their fire until engagement.

In a futuristic military these guys would be dispossessed faster than they could say *whoops*

Edited by HAS UncleClint, 24 May 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#14 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

LAYZORZ <vwwaop>

#15 Psikez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostHAS UncleClint, on 24 May 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

In a futuristic military these guys would be dispossessed faster than they could say *whoops*

Good thing we're playing a video game based on giant robots with little basis in reality

Edited by Psikez, 24 May 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#16 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

#17 Blacke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts
  • Location3rd Takata Lancers

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

I remember once when something bugged and my W key mapped to alpha strike. I was in my centurion and hit a Atlas in the back with my AC20. As I was trying to apologize and figure out what the heck happenned my whole team killed me and said some pretty foul things. Stuff happens and it is not always on purpose.

Also on another note if I have medium lasers in both arms I have to fire check which tic is which arm as it still sometimes periodically changes. Although this happenns much less now then it use to. I still do it out of habit.

Griefers however are really annoying and I have seen a few guys weaken everyones legs just to be a jerk. There should be some penalty for friendly fire damage, not just friendly fire kills.

I got a friendly fire kill one with my catapult because a guy with no armor was near my target and walked into a stream of my missiles. In cases like that you should be penalised slightly less then if you shot a guy in the back with 5 PPCs twice in a row.

#18 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

My corp member grazed a friendly mech with a medium laser. Not too sure what the heck he was doing, but he remapped his controls recently.

Then the mech promptly KOed him in the cockpit.

Unsurprisingly, we lost the match.

Don't fire unless you mean to kill, people...

#19 LapsedPacifist79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 134 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

A thousand times yes.

A stalker just touched off the ammo in my leg. I was in battle already heavily messed up. Not cool.

Yesterday, a guy shot me in the arm, when I moaned about it he claimed he didn't hit me. I told him "tell that to the red armour on my gauss arm".

A sorry is nice but when you take an LL alpha to the back it means almost nothing. Don't mind taking a hit in the heat of battle, it happens, but at the kick off?

#20 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostBlacke, on 25 May 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Griefers however are really annoying and I have seen a few guys weaken everyones legs just to be a jerk. There should be some penalty for friendly fire damage, not just friendly fire kills.

I put in a proposal for an automatic timeout strictly when friendly fire occurs before the battle is joined. Here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users