Suggestions To Add Atmosphere

3 replies to this topic

#1 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hey guys, I like the Gameplay in it's current state, sure, we are missing some critical things but these are coming.

I think everybody knows the feeling of dropping on River City or Crimson Strait and thinking "Where the hell did everyone go?!"

So, what could we do to make the Game a bit more interesting and deep?
I'll sort my suggestions by how different I think they will be to implement:

1. Easy Stuff

- Music:
There is a lot of music that PGI could use, the tracks from NGNG are the most suitable for this I think.

- More map sound effects:
Believe it or not: we already have some effects on our maps. But they need to be much louder and more immense

2. Medium Stuff:

- Animated assets:
I'm not talking about hard stuff here. I'm thinking about some Bridges going up or down, driving cars, lights behind windows, moving transporters or cranes.

- Animated events on maps:
A Union Class dropship that starts getting into the atmosphere at minute 1 of the match and landing at minute 8 at River City, an Aerospace Fighter getting hit and going down in the middle of Alpine Peaks at minute 5 of the match.

3. Hard Stuff

- User generated events:
Anybody who played Battlefield 3 knows the collapsing tower on "Caspian Border" or the collapsing Skyscrapers in Battlefield 4. How about putting these things into the game? The famous antenna on Alpine Peaks would get Hitpoints and after getting hit enough it could collapse.

- Dynamic Sound effects:
Ever played Battlefield 3 with 7.1 Headphones? I did, it was amazing. Imagine an AC20 round swooshing to your left and missiles flying over you. I don't know if the CryEngine3 Supports dynamic sound effects, but if it did it would be cool to have these in the game

I FULLY understand that these things are low priority right now, but after we got UI2.0 and CW up and running this would make the game so much more full of life.

Edited by IqfishLP, 05 October 2013 - 03:03 AM.

#2 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

My take on your suggestions

1. Easy Stuff

- Music: As long as i can turn it off, but not really a priority as you can run music from any program outside of the client.

- More map sound effects: Agree, it would be nice to have more ambient sound.

2. Medium Stuff:

- Animated assets: I actually think the desolated feel adds to immersion, People tend to avoid war-zones if and when they can.

- Animated events on maps: No, there should be no clutter on the map just for the sake of clutter. Anything added need to have a function in my mind.

3. Hard Stuff

- User generated events: See as "fun" as these things are, it would seriously break immersion if i could use my 100 ton walking tank to blow up one thing but not the other 20-30 similar things on the map.

- Dynamic Sound effects: This is kinda cool and there is something similar (or was at least) with LRM´s.

But as you say all this is something i would put on the very bottom. of the list of things to do.

#3 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,592 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

Totally agree with both posts.

#4 GrimLeo

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

OP has some good stuff. Below is my comments and suggestions.

1. Easy Stuff

- Music:
No need for in-combat music. It would defeat the Heavy Metal’s main feature. We should get win/lose/draw music at end of each round. For CW, each IS house should have its own music.

- More map sound effects:
Think level we have now is fine.

- Additional Suggestion:
A short radio squawk sound for each in-combat chat message. The messages are easy to miss in the heat of battle.

2. Medium Stuff:

- Animated assets:
Were is makes sense. Terra Therma could use some automatic equipment still going about their work. Add a couple of out of control units as the workers have fled.

Additional Suggestion: The cap point machines needs some work. On Assaults, the machine needs to be a mobile command post. On Conquest, the resource collector is fine for most maps, but makes no sense for River City or Crimson Strait. I suggest some type of “load lifter” to transfer cargo into a Dropship (We are stealing stuff on these maps).

- Animated events on maps:
In map dropship/fighter crashes would be problematic. What happens to mechs that are in the way (crunch?).
Additional Suggestion: More skybox events. Flight operations out of the Canyon Network spaceport would be welcomed.

3. Hard Stuff

- User generated events:
Destructible Terrain is always good. In-combat effects are telegraphing position and cover reduction. Battlemech = large scale destruction. Needs to be widespread.

- Dynamic Sound effects:
Own a Razer Tiamat, so 7.1 headphone support is good.

- Additional Suggestions:
  • There does need to be infantry running about. It telegraphs the scale of the mechs. Nothing says “large and in charge” then stomping, machine gunning, flaming, and lasing poor hapless infantry. These soldiers don’t need to be on a side. Historically soldiers miss identify or just shoot at any aircraft they see. IS grunts hate all mechs. An infantry squad is likely to have only one SRM2 launcher plus useless rifles. The SRM2 guy should be a bad shot.
  • The whole startup sequence should change. On the lobby screen, a map showing the drop point and objective should be in the background. The “All Systems Nominal” sequence should be in a launch bay of a dropship. Cut to landing on map (Start few meters above surface). Discarded drop rigs should be next to each mech. Skybox should include the launching dropships rocketing away while exchanging fire.

Edited by GrimLeo, 05 October 2013 - 09:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users