I'm Just A .80 Kinda Guy

74 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

I have to laugh... I have been playing this game since last May, took a break at 12v12, and been back about a month.. I worked for a while to dig my way out of the abysmal kill ratio i had dug myself into being a newbie and all.. but by 12p i had worked up to the low .80's. as a medium pilot i felt that this was pretty decent.. When i returned my rating to a decent hit trying to relearn the 12p game.. and since then i worked back up to the low 80's, even clinging close to .9 for a bit..

Then came the day i bought the cataphract, and after a few nights, i was double that!. Darn thing doesn't get Kill stolen quite as much.. But then a party night, and i would say a bit more to drink than should be allowed for mech piloting.. It dropped a bit.. I just checked the stat's thingy for giggles.. and low and behold it is .80, like my other 2 mechs i play well in..

But for those people that seem to play more of a support role i really wish they would tally up Assists. Personally i will take 5 or 6 good assists and no kills, over a couple cheap kills. But that darn ration eat's at me.. I wanna be at 1.0+ for a change.. ;)

One of these days all the advice, and video watching will pay off.. But it seems for now, i am Mr .80

#2 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 26 January 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

I have to laugh... I have been playing this game since last May, took a break at 12v12, and been back about a month.. I worked for a while to dig my way out of the abysmal kill ratio i had dug myself into being a newbie and all.. but by 12p i had worked up to the low .80's. as a medium pilot i felt that this was pretty decent.. When i returned my rating to a decent hit trying to relearn the 12p game.. and since then i worked back up to the low 80's, even clinging close to .9 for a bit..

Then came the day i bought the cataphract, and after a few nights, i was double that!. Darn thing doesn't get Kill stolen quite as much.. But then a party night, and i would say a bit more to drink than should be allowed for mech piloting.. It dropped a bit.. I just checked the stat's thingy for giggles.. and low and behold it is .80, like my other 2 mechs i play well in..

But for those people that seem to play more of a support role i really wish they would tally up Assists. Personally i will take 5 or 6 good assists and no kills, over a couple cheap kills. But that darn ration eat's at me.. I wanna be at 1.0+ for a change.. :ph34r:

One of these days all the advice, and video watching will pay off.. But it seems for now, i am Mr .80

If it makes you feel better, I have over 1500 matches and my overall KDR is .37 which is actually an improvement fom a few months ago ;)

I started in Lights and did a lot of Conquest in order to get cash, so that's one reason I don't care about it. Also, if I deal respectable damage and/or contribute in some way, I figure I helped my team so not worried about dying. That said, I've gotten 3 kills and 298 damage in a Locust and whiffed with over 500 damage in a BLR.

I have fun playing, winning is just icing on the cake :D

edit: Grammerz and sich

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 26 January 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#3 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I understand how you feel. This game does not use a KDA stat system sadly. However, I stopped really caring about it once I joined a group. Once I did that, wins became my measure of success. I have a KDR of .40 on my light mech, but my win ratio on it went from .70 to 1.5134, that's almost double what it used to be. My KDR improved too. You can have a lot more success with the game when you're having fun. I remember nights where we had only one win in 8 matches, and our morale was as high as ever because we were still having fun, cracking jokes and such.

Have fun = awesome.

#4 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

I use joystickzzzz and I have a 1kdr 1wlr pug or pre made ;)

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 January 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

I understand how you feel. This game does not use a KDA stat system sadly. However, I stopped really caring about it once I joined a group. Once I did that, wins became my measure of success. I have a KDR of .40 on my light mech, but my win ratio on it went from .70 to 1.5134, that's almost double what it used to be. My KDR improved too. You can have a lot more success with the game when you're having fun. I remember nights where we had only one win in 8 matches, and our morale was as high as ever because we were still having fun, cracking jokes and such.

Have fun = awesome.

Ah so you succumbed to the Evil TryHard Pre-Made faction I see! ;)

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 26 January 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Ah so you succumbed to the Evil TryHard Pre-Made faction I see! ;)

XP. It was always in me, I just didn't know it until I had a battalion to drop with.

JOIN THE DARK SIDE!!!

We have cookies and such.

#7 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 January 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

XP. It was always in me, I just didn't know it until I had a battalion to drop with.

JOIN THE DARK SIDE!!!

We have cookies and such.

Well when you get tired of playing Little League, give the DHB the once over ;)

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 26 January 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Well when you get tired of playing Little League, give the DHB the once over ;)

I am well familiar with DHB. I dropped by your website and TS a couple of times.

I'm with HHoD and I like checking out the other merc corps around and see how they do things.

#9 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 January 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

I am well familiar with DHB. I dropped by your website and TS a couple of times.

I'm with HHoD and I like checking out the other merc corps around and see how they do things.

Cool beans, sorry I missed you. Hopefully we will drop together (one way or the other) soon.

*edit*
For those that may not know, the forum is a bit sparse for non-members. Basically we hide the super secret training secrets ;)

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 26 January 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Having fun is what I like to do most of all. Looking forward to move fun-having soon!

in the meantime, why I haven't been playing as often as I'd like (and even more active than usual on here). Dozens upon dozens of pages like this one for my art class.
Spoiler

Currently working on character model sheets. 7.7 I wanna burn something.

Edited by Koniving, 26 January 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

On a side note, I'm a 1.0 kinda personage. Oddly enough this is my rating in a lot of games. And when it gets above, I find myself deliberately screwing around to let it wane back down (had to on some F2Ps, had to be 1.0 or below to play on the servers that few to no hackers were on).

If it goes way down like it did when the Spiders first came out -- 0.63 was the low and the dang things were bloody useless at first -- I find myself able to quickly (within 3 to 4 weeks) bring it up to a 0.87 and a few months to a 1.0. The main thing, though, is I just like to have fun.

Don't be surprised if I try to stand on your head.

#12 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

About 2000 matches ago I was at .50. I caught on with the game and it has taken me nearly 2000 more matches to make it up to .96. I'll ocassionally stick with one mech or one with a low KDR and bring it up to .98. Have yet to reach 1.00.

#13 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

So there are ppl who just look at the KDR. Just dont let me down in the field, play the objective and die with honour if you are the last man standing.

Edited by Turist0AT, 26 January 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 26 January 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

Cool beans, sorry I missed you. Hopefully we will drop together (one way or the other) soon.

*edit*
For those that may not know, the forum is a bit sparse for non-members. Basically we hide the super secret training secrets ;)

I would love that, once I get back to my place (staying over at my gf's) I will definitely drop by the DHB server and get a few drops in.

View PostTurist0AT, on 26 January 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

So there are ppl who just look at the KDR. Just dont let me down in the field, play the objective and die with honour if you are the last man standing.

Amen to that, and the to the "u" in honour, hooray for british english spelling! (Drives me crazy when my browser flags "colour" as a misspell. XP)

#15 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Don't worry about your KDR. As long as you keep playing and get better, it'll come up eventually. Unless you're playing a role that doesn't shoot stuff. After about 2900 matches, and despite plenty of light-mech piloting, experimentation and a long streak of exclusive pugging - I'm now 16 kills away from 1.0.

#16 N0t Me

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 January 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Have fun = awesome.

there`s nothing fun in the Awesome ;)

#17 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

KDR means nothing in this game. And W/L doesn't matter either.

It only matters if you are having fun or not. ;)

Sure, this doesn't mean never try to improve, but getting caught up in ratios is a quick way to get frustrated or sad.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 27 January 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

KDR means nothing in this game. And W/L doesn't matter either.

It only matters if you are having fun or not. :D

Sure, this doesn't mean never try to improve, but getting caught up in ratios is a quick way to get frustrated or sad.

That depends on your temperment and goals. After 100 games, I had like 7 kills. I started hoping I could pull my KDR back even eventually. When I hit my absolute pit and leveled off (600K/1000D), I specifically set the goal to get it back to even before 2000 (get my 2000th kill before my 2000th death). (Mind, my goal was to get it "clean," not by kill stealing and by still sacrificing myself when the situation demanded, it's a team game and trying to win individual games is the only way I can imagine playing). It drove me to concentrate and improve. For me, this goal vastly increased my enjoyment of MWO, so it passes your fun test, too. Like I said: depends on your temperament. ;)

#19 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 27 January 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

That depends on your temperment and goals. After 100 games, I had like 7 kills. I started hoping I could pull my KDR back even eventually. When I hit my absolute pit and leveled off (600K/1000D), I specifically set the goal to get it back to even before 2000 (get my 2000th kill before my 2000th death). (Mind, my goal was to get it "clean," not by kill stealing and by still sacrificing myself when the situation demanded, it's a team game and trying to win individual games is the only way I can imagine playing). It drove me to concentrate and improve. For me, this goal vastly increased my enjoyment of MWO, so it passes your fun test, too. Like I said: depends on your temperament. ;)

Everyone has different views.

But I believe it is better to go in with no expectation, other then to have fun-play and enjoy yourself. That way, even if you lose. Even if the odds are stacked, you had a good laugh and left smiling.

Like you said, different goals, temperament.

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 27 January 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Everyone has different views.

But I believe it is better to go in with no expectation, other then to have fun-play and enjoy yourself. That way, even if you lose. Even if the odds are stacked, you had a good laugh and left smiling.

Like you said, different goals, temperament.

Oh, I have a lot of fun. If I wasn't, I wouldn't spend my time on a game. I just don't like doing anything this much and not trying to do it well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users