68 replies to this topic

#1 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

Not sure what to do,I just can't bring enough ammo and my mech selections fire power is now watered down when adding non efficient energy weapons for the chassis.

I've currently got only 8 mech's to choose from and they don't fit the tonnage efficiently/very well either.

Catapult K2,+A1
Atlas DD-C,+AS7-S
,Spider 5K,+5D
KGC 000(L)
JM6-DD

Anyone with any thoughts and Ideas,or have the same experience.I might have to start putting gauss+PPC on everything and the thought pisses me off.I hate suiciding/ejecting from a perfectly good mech because its ammo's done and the energy weapons that are left are impotent.

Hope the Resistance pack can carry me? I had some atrocious games last night trying to get to the objective.Very hard to get results in a fragmented team or trying to ignore the enemy and get my sights on the objective but mainly I'm not sure how to build anything any more,I might just go back to my old builds that ignore some of the quirks because I just don't know how to make them work for Community warfare maps.

#2 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

Ever consider energy weapons? I hear they're great on ammo.

#3 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

its part of war. You run out of ammo. You have to make the best of it.

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

It is kind of broke for all ammo reliant mechs IS and Clan.

#5 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

If the energy weapons are impotent then drop them and carry more ammo.

#6 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

Post the builds for the 'Mechs you want to use in your drop deck. You should always have an ERLL or ERPPC equipped to poke with so you can save your ammo for committed attacks. If your ammo is getting used up in a brawl, I dunno what to tell you except you will get better aim as you play and require less ammo to cripple or destroy targets.

#7 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

I agree. There needs to be, due to the nature of the game (multiple waves) some way to return to the ship to rearm. Because without it, if you want to use an ammo-heavy 'mech, you're pretty much going to be ejecting when it hits 0.

And yes, you can bring backup weapons, but if you think you're going to do much good with say, 2 medium lasers - yeah. No, you're helping everyone by ejecting and getting a fresh mech at that point.

#8 Errant Variable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

Negating the risk of running out of ammunition would make one of the greatest drawbacks of ballistic mechs a non-issue. You have guns, you can carry a certain amount of ammunition, you have to make tradeoffs to carry more, and once you've run out you're good for scouting and drawing fire.

#9 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

I agree w errant there

People will have to think about ammo a lot more when they build up a mech

which is good news

#10 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostErrant Variable, on 12 December 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

Negating the risk of running out of ammunition would make one of the greatest drawbacks of ballistic mechs a non-issue. You have guns, you can carry a certain amount of ammunition, you have to make tradeoffs to carry more, and once you've run out you're good for scouting and drawing fire.

Yup. Builds that work on PUGs don't necessarily work in CW for that reason.

Unfortunately that does mean CW risks turning into laserwarrior online. We'll have to see how the "CW Meta" evolves to see if creating some way to resupply is actually needed.

#11 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

I do like the fact that a comp 8x8 drop requires less ammo than a normal drop, and CW may require even more / longer staying power.

Good stuff.

#12 YaKillinMeSmalls

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Ammo weapons aren't broken, you've just been spoiled by really short matches in the normal queue.

#13 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostCorditeJunkie, on 12 December 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Not sure what to do,I just can't bring enough ammo and my mech selections fire power is now watered down when adding non efficient energy weapons for the chassis.

I've currently got only 8 mech's to choose from and they don't fit the tonnage efficiently/very well either.

Catapult K2,+A1
Atlas DD-C,+AS7-S
,Spider 5K,+5D
KGC 000(L)
JM6-DD

Anyone with any thoughts and Ideas,or have the same experience.I might have to start putting gauss+PPC on everything and the thought pisses me off.I hate suiciding/ejecting from a perfectly good mech because its ammo's done and the energy weapons that are left are impotent.

Hope the Resistance pack can carry me? I had some atrocious games last night trying to get to the objective.Very hard to get results in a fragmented team or trying to ignore the enemy and get my sights on the objective but mainly I'm not sure how to build anything any more,I might just go back to my old builds that ignore some of the quirks because I just don't know how to make them work for Community warfare maps.

You mean... it actually makes generalist mechs that have backup weapons simi-viable?

*GHASP* Muh Meta!

#14 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

I ran all LRM clan mechs(laser back ups) this morning with zero issues.

#15 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

It's why I never really opt for ammo only builds because it limits your combat effectiveness. I usually always equip some secondary energy weapons like medium lasers.

#16 Vezm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Matches are twice as long as a standard match but you have 4 times as many mechs. It shouldn't really be an issue.

#17 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,476 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

Remember that if you get kills and significant damage with that ammo, you have pretty much succeeded in making those weapons worthwhile. It is not primarily how long a mech can fight that matters, but how much it can damage the other team before running out. Personally i love the immersion it brings to finally have ammo management being a real strategic consideration.

Just bring some backup lasers and switch to frontline tanking for your team after the ammo has run out. I've been running a King crab with dual gauss+2 PPC and a AC20+wubs misery today and never felt like running out of ammo was a major problem.

You can also manage it by dropping last in your ammo based spike damage builds, like a griffin 3m with SRMs for example is awesome to clean up with in the end of a match.

And if nothing else you can always eject and drop in your next mech.

#18 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

Not as big an issue as it seems. Bring one or two energy mechs in the opening fights, stay alive as long as you can and do as much damage as possible, then roll out your AC20 Doomcannon or SRM Bombers near the end when most mechs left are either heavily damaged or lightweight tonnage limit pluggers. Lots of people will grab a bunch of assaults or heavies, then round out with a Locust or something. Ever see what happens to a Locust when it wanders in front of a HBK's big autocannon?

You got a perfectly good HBK-4P trial that you can toss into a deck if you need an energy based endurance mech.

If you want to run LRM mechs in all four slots, that's your call. But you're going to want to have at least a lance sized group to make that sort of strategy work.

#19 Romulas One

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:22 PM

:) waiting for the grasshopper :)

#20 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

My Hunchback has 35 shots of Win. Sure, it only goes 64kph, but that's the cost of doing a lot of killin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users