Solo Que Is So Screwed Rite Now

156 replies to this topic

#1 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:46 AM

As if putting groups against single players, meanwhile having random tonnage mechs in any given lance wasn't enough, pgi lumped everyone together into T3.

Funny how all the "improvements" in reality only turned solo que into a nightmare.

Edited by Sunstruck, 02 July 2020 - 01:49 AM.

#2 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:14 AM

I'm having fun, i actually even managed to get a match where people did not blindly nascar like dumasses and instead turn around and gunned down everybody who came round the corner, i called it on chat, the group called it on chat, we won, 12-2.

If anything groups will tend to listen to comms, i welcome this change, and you can actually play with friends without having to wait 2 hours for 2 minutes of gameplay.

#3 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:24 AM

It depends. The lesser known groups/clans are nothing to fear really. Stomped a few stacked matches today. Its the well known ones that you have to watch out for. Just had 2 matches with this famous group. Went 10-12 in a close loss vs them as one of them clutched out with a 1.2k urbie and then 12-1 or 12-3 stomp with them in a group.

#4 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:03 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 02 July 2020 - 02:24 AM, said:

It depends. The lesser known groups/clans are nothing to fear really. Stomped a few stacked matches today. Its the well known ones that you have to watch out for. Just had 2 matches with this famous group. Went 10-12 in a close loss vs them as one of them clutched out with a 1.2k urbie and then 12-1 or 12-3 stomp with them in a group.

Many of the larger "lesser known" groups are actively detrimental to the team, much to my dismay.

Most people note the negative side of having a competitive group on one team versus a non-competitive enemy team, but another "joy" of the group queue merge is seeing a unit of 4 players whom are terrible basically ensuring a loss.

While random people can be bad, each individual pilot is a roll of the dice, whereas when a group is bad, not only are they cutting off the chance you had for 3 other competent pilots, they are also worse players in that even the advantages of a group aren't enough to offset their lack of ability.

#5 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:41 AM

I think some of the Players are "hyped" About the new psr System and they are expecting to much. Once the become Aware that the Matches are now even more unbalanced then with the old matchmaker they will Change their opinion.

The Matches are often unbalanced because:

- One Team receives a skilled 4-man-group which can decide the Outcome of the match.

- There is no balance of the Tonnage! Today I had a match where my Team had 3 Assaults and the enemy had 6 assaults (6 Players in my Team were not able to reach 100 matchscore Points).

- Slow Assaults can spawn in Alpha lance…. can be a disadvantage for them or sometimes a.... death-trap.

#6 Grumpy Old Man

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:41 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 02 July 2020 - 05:03 AM, said:

Many of the larger "lesser known" groups are actively detrimental to the team, much to my dismay.

Most people note the negative side of having a competitive group on one team versus a non-competitive enemy team, but another "joy" of the group queue merge is seeing a unit of 4 players whom are terrible basically ensuring a loss.

While random people can be bad, each individual pilot is a roll of the dice, whereas when a group is bad, not only are they cutting off the chance you had for 3 other competent pilots, they are also worse players in that even the advantages of a group aren't enough to offset their lack of ability.

Yup. It is the stacking of the odds in one way or another that really gets me. I watched Baradul's newest video today, and had to laugh at his comment of "Go home, Matchmaker, you are drunk.". Between weight disparity and skill disparity due to the groups, it feels like a lot of games end result has been predetermined.

Nothing I can say or do will change the result much. Maybe even the gap, at best.

#7 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:50 AM

It’s definitely a bizarre experience right now. I came back yesterday after 2 months off just out of curiosity and I wasn’t disappointed. Several matches were pretty typical of what I saw a couple of months ago (typical names on both sides), several had teams of good players on one side (yes, the teams did prevail....easily) and a bunch were 12-1, 12-2 stomps.

What was clear to me is that putting everyone in tier 3 is going to be punishing for the really bad players. I had not seen so many players with double digit damage numbers per match. It’s not just the usual 1 or 2 guys who fail to break 100 damage.....it’s was way more than that in what I saw last night. Sure, a couple times guys ran straight in and died...but mostly guys hung around for at least a couple minutes and some still failed to break 20 damage....

I know new players are bad and of course they will struggle in this new system, but I asked myself “will the bad players endure this much punishment and stick around to grind down to tier 4 and tier 5...where they will be matched against more appropriate players?” Sure the good and decent players will stick around to “grind up”, but how brutal (it was pretty brutal last night) is it going to be for the bad players to “grind down” and will they have the stomach for it?

Don’t mistake me...I am glad for the reset...but it might just hasten the demise of the game if the bad and mediocre players aren’t willing to get brutalized for a while.

#8 Daddy Grogg

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:27 AM

As a new player, I'm done. Before the PSR adjustment the game was fun. Given that I'm new and not looking to invest massive time in a game, I'm not going to get that much better. I enjoyed playing with people my skill level, win some lose some. My tier was slowly moving up but not fast and I was ok with that. I downloaded the game due to my brother playing for sometime. Our kids also downloaded the game. So a total of 6 players, 1 long-term (tier 4) and five new (tier 5). Kids are often a good measure of things. Before the reset we would all be on playing together (not on the same team, my daughter loves destroying her dad). None of the kids lasted more than three or four stomps after the reset. Getting stomped over and over is not fun and as new players they went on to play something else. As for me and my brother we will probably last for a couple of more days but grinding for weeks to get to the appropriate tier, not going to happen. That is a significate issue as a new player spending weeks grinding out defeats is not worth it. If my experience is even vaguely normal, and I think it is, a new player is going to walk away before spending weeks suffering stomps to get down to the correct tier.

Edited by Daddy Grogg, 02 July 2020 - 06:44 AM.

#9 Aghtarn

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationMontenegro

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

okay, don't using forums in general, but I faced a problem with a new PSR:

MASTERING A NEW MECH in this PSR reset times becomes really tricky.
You can't get enough xp out of win because top tier players drain your matchscore, and you can't get anything from stompy losses.

I think this side of reset are bit darksided because all of you are veterans with years in this game and have nothing new to build, but new players are in a very bad spot right now.

Long story:
----------------
I was high T3 player with a month of experience in this game.
My average performance in a lost match before reset gives me around 500-800 XP before PSR reset.
Now I have like 20-50 XP in a stompy loss.

So the question is simple - how to earn XP for a new mech in a "lost train" event?

Now you have only 2 choices - either play bad because you are "penalised" for played a new mech or pick anything you are good at and grind GXP and just BUY full build. (You can pay for GSP too, I know, let's be honest - you won't do that).

I see another option which I don't like - just leave a game for a month or two, so competitive players grind to the top again and gave some room to breathe for other players.

#10 Reptile Blackdeath

• PipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:38 AM

hehehe. omg.. this system....... I guess some one the stomps could give will give the one's who like to game the system their Ace of Spades....... maybe Deathstar?

#11 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

In the long run it will probably result in a slight increase in match quality, but right now you have genuinely low skill players getting undeservedly curb stomped and if you were forced to eat **** for like 20 matches to get to where you belong would you want to keep playing?

#12 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:44 AM

View PostDaddy Grogg, on 02 July 2020 - 06:27 AM, said:

As a new player, I'm done. Before the PSR adjustment the game was fun. Given that I'm new and not looking to invest massive time in a game, I'm not going to get that much better. I enjoyed playing with people my skill level, win some lose some. My tier was slowly moving up but not fast and I was ok with that. I downloaded the game due to my brother playing for sometime. Our kids also downloaded the game. So a total of 6 players, 1 long-term (tier 4) and five new (tier 5). Kids are often a good measure of things. Before the reset we would all be on playing together (not on the same team, my daughter loves destroying her dad). None of the kids lasted more than three or four stomps after the reset. Getting stomped over and over is not fun and as new players they went on to play something else. As for me and my brother we will probably last for a couple of more days but grinding for weeks to get to the appropriate tier, not going to happen. That is a significate issue as a new player spending weeks grinding out defeats is not worth it. If my experience is even vaguely normal, and I think it is, a new player is going to walk away before spending week suffering stomps to get down to the correct tier.

Basically this is what I am concerned about....
The game needs new players to continue to go on...and of course new players generally aren’t going to be able to do well at first. Starting in tier 3 with everyone else isn’t going to be motivational to hang around long. New players will Generally have to spend early games “grinding down” before they can get the hang of the game (get better) and then start to “grind up” to whatever tier they can get to.

#13 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:42 AM

Yeah probably would of been a good idea to keep people that were lower then tier 3 in there tiers and only reset the rest. As for my personal experience I am ok with the grind. I know it will get better once I settle in where I should be.

#14 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

Everyone should have been seeded based on average match score. Have only had time to play about a dozen games since the reset, but it was obvious every time but once which team was going to win before the match started based on player names.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 02 July 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

I think some of the Players are "hyped" About the new psr System and they are expecting to much. Once the become Aware that the Matches are now even more unbalanced then with the old matchmaker they will Change their opinion.

The Matches are often unbalanced because:

- One Team receives a skilled 4-man-group which can decide the Outcome of the match.

- There is no balance of the Tonnage! Today I had a match where my Team had 3 Assaults and the enemy had 6 assaults (6 Players in my Team were not able to reach 100 matchscore Points).

- Slow Assaults can spawn in Alpha lance…. can be a disadvantage for them or sometimes a.... death-trap.

Just quoting this from another thread.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 02 July 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

And depending on how many games players put in, you will see lots of those for a few months. Why?
  • No Seeding utilized but stuck EVERYONE in Mid-Tier 3/PSR
  • Above SOO wrong, primarily for new players who had just started (Paul's infamous graph showing tons of Tier 5 over last 2 months), and for previously new players who may come back to an existing account. Now All of them are in Tier 3... Think about that.. being a newbie and literally being thrown to the wolves.
  • Tier 5 players should be reverted back to Tier 5, or at least Tier 4, especially those who may not have recently played.
  • Seeding should have been utilized, and if not the wide range then between Tier 2-4
Groups. I am all for groups but full groups have their places.
  • Groups - Change to Max 3. Prefer max 2. I used to call for this, to allow Duos option to opt into Solo queue w/o opt out of group, but if group size is reduced, I dont see PGI going to max 2 now since there is no separate QP Group queue now.
  • Either remove Tonnage, change to 1 per weight class or tighten up the tonnage. Would help change the amount of firepower and armor a "comp" group can bring to the table while ensuring that others bring something more. When faced off, it may not change the end result but would change the negative perception the other side won cause they had 5 assaults vs 1 assault.
And change the name of Tiers to military type names, Elite, Veteran, Regular, Green, Basic.

#16 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

I wonder if this is PGIs way of showing us players how "good" their former system was?

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:15 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 02 July 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

I wonder if this is PGIs way of showing us players how "good" their former system was?

iie.. issue is that PGI moved everyone to middle of Tier 3 instead of using some sort of seeding setup. Dumping high MS Tier 1 players with new Cadets or player with sub 150 MS all in the same pot.. not a good recipe.

When PGI changed from Elo to PSR/Tier, players were seeded based on their Elo rating. Here, using PSR rating it would not have worked due to the how their previous PSR was setup but PGI did have other stats to use, primarily avg MS over X amount of game at least.

The bad part will be the large number of players who are low PSR who do not play many games per month, come back and get dropped into Tier 3 during this time period... Not good for Player Retention.

#18 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:38 AM

View PostRed Potato Standing By, on 02 July 2020 - 07:42 AM, said:

Yeah probably would of been a good idea to keep people that were lower then tier 3 in there tiers and only reset the rest. As for my personal experience I am ok with the grind. I know it will get better once I settle in where I should be.

You are probably in the ballpark of what should have been done. Putting new players in tier 3 is especially problematic. The only “problem” it solves is vets starting alts to beat up on new players....but the downside of where they put new players looks far worse than any potential upside to it.

#19 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 02 July 2020 - 08:38 AM, said:

You are probably in the ballpark of what should have been done. Putting new players in tier 3 is especially problematic. The only “problem” it solves is vets starting alts to beat up on new players....but the downside of where they put new players looks far worse than any potential upside to it.

Medical equivalent of amputating the arm to fix a hang nail.

#20 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:54 AM

Dunno. My current experience is positive. May be your experience is negative, because you've got used to stomp potato players with overinflated PSR, like me? Yeah, game isn't 100% balanced now. Sometimes it's imbalanced loses, sometimes it's imbalanced victories. But at least it's not lose-streaks and it's not stomps. And you know. For me stomp isn't 0:12 or something like that. For me stomp - is when I lose and don't even have opportunity to actually PLAY THE GAME. Now even if I lose, I, dunno how to say it better, lose with honor. I feel, that I do my best. It brings me positive emotions, so I have desire to play long match series instead of ragequitting after just 1-2 matches.

I also see many fun builds again. Not only Meta ones. Like Atlases, Awesomes, Thunderbolts, etc. It makes me happy, as I also want to dust off some of them.

Edited by MrMadguy, 02 July 2020 - 08:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users