Players Using Hate Speech In Game.

419 replies to this topic

#161 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postshintakie, on 24 February 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

A lot of what keeps the gaming industry, and in turn gamers in general, from being taken seriously in society is because of garbage attitudes like this.

The people who say deal with it and act all cool and edgey because they're totally fine with racists and homophobes and sexists online are part of the friggin problem. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they're worse than the hate speech spoutin jerkoffs because they're perpetuatin the stereotype that gamers are a bunch of children who giggle at the word n*****.

Is that what you people really want to be known for? Is sexism, racism, homophobia, bigotry in general, is this the kind of stuff you all actually want associated with whenever you declare you're a gamer? Because that's how it is now and the reason for it is because of garbage like this.

Really? Hate to break it to ya, but Sexism, racism, and all that other stuff is apart of EVERY culture on the planet earth. Its not like is something unique to gamers. The Internet is a free zone, and is known as such. Its just like Rule 34... So, as we go farther in to the digital age, I don't think anyone will care what is said on the internet, much less link gamers to "bad" things.

#162 zverofaust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostOuttaAmmo NoWai, on 24 February 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

The only thing I have learned from cruising this thread is that I seriously hope the vast majority of you people never reproduce...

Would you rather the children of the future be less sensitive to offensive words from random faceless people? Or be limp-wristed shut-ins who break out the razor blades at the first sign of negativity from everyone around them?

#163 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostMegahard, on 24 February 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Johnny Reb is a notorious racist.
That said. People need to grow up and stop[ letting people on the internet hurt their feelings. ******* deal with it. I'm sure their will be a filter for all the children soon enough.

Does that make Billy Yank a glorious anti-racist?

Edited by Johnny Reb, 24 February 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#164 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 24 February 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I have had ppl threaten to report me for my handle. Guess Johnny Reb is racist to them. My response is go ahead.

<sarcasm>

You xenophobic *******! Get with the timez!

</sarcasm>

But all joking aside, just a month ago at the bar, I saw some whiteknighting caucasian kid punch a Mexican in the mouth for using n3gro in a sentence. My spanish is rusty, but he said something along the lines of "I really liked that black truck outside." But the white kid assumed he was being racist.

Sometimes I hate the South.

Again, this reinforces my view of the average American civvie.

EDIT: apparently spanish speakers can't say black in their native tongue here

Edited by JohanssenJr, 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#165 Megahard

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 24 February 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Does that make Billy Yank a glorious anti-racist?

Roses are red and violets are blue :rolleyes:

#166 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostLubalin, on 24 February 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

I've worked on chat filtering software myself. It starts with a huge list of 'banned' words. You'd be surprised how creative these lists can be. They work very well.

They really don't. Filters don't stop people from using language that would be deemed 'offensive'. The threat of banning does that job.

Edited by The Cheese, 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#167 Megahard

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

They really don't. Filters don't stop people from using language that would be deemed 'offensive'. The threat of banning does that job.

Grow up maybe. How do you even handle the internet without killing yourself? People say ridiculous things to get a rise, just ignore it.

#168 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostPoisonWolf, on 24 February 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

This is what they will never get; To effectively communicate you have to say exactly what you mean.

If your friends won't keep you honest, who will?

Say **** like you mean it, don't beat around the bush. Lol

#169 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

All this, just because some people don't want their precious swear words to go away from a language filter. Damn.

Seriously, if no one cares, then why is it a problem to just give people a language filter with an on/off feature? Apparently, no one cares if they do or don't.

Edited by Zoughtbaj, 24 February 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#170 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostZoughtbaj, on 24 February 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

All this, just because some people don't want their precious swear words to go away from a language filter. Damn.

Seriously, if no one cares, then why is it a problem to just give people a language filter with an on/off feature? Apparently, no one cares if they do or don't.

Nah, someone raised the "I have delicate sensibilities" flag, which is blood in the shark tank.

#171 mattkachu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationTaranna, Ontario

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

to OP:

screenshot them and report them, If that doesnt work, find a way to let go and carry on. Its internetz. Dont believe me? go to 4chan

#172 Nathan Bloodguard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

I find it amazing that its all about the swear words. Its not about the swear words, its about offensive language. Its about harmful sentences, not the presence (or lack of) certain words. Its about name calling, degrading sentences. Its about bullying. I honestly think that most of us don't care about swear words, considering I know kids that use fouler language then me. Its about players using hate speech, like the title says....

I just want to make the point clear, as there seems to be some confusion on this matter.

#173 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

If there was a poll based on the OP, 'Do You Think Hate Speech Has a Place In MWO?' it seems a surprising number of people would either answer yes, or be apathetic about it.

#174 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Having report tools in game would be nice, but for now you'll have to settle for emailing support directly. Good on you for following up on it too, I myself should do it more often, but i'm lazy.

This is a pretty loaded thing to police though, and I could understand if PGI (or whoever) is hesitant about throwing bans around. The line between abuse and smack-talk can be kind of blurry sometimes.

Agree and disagree. Smack talk is fine, I usually ignore it. Profanity? well, most of us are "all growed up" and hear far worse ever day at work, and probably the youngins on here, at school. Doesn't mean I care for it, as it tends to bespeak a lazy mind, but just like lazy people, it is easy to ignore.

Racial slurs, and attacks on peoples lifestyles, religions and such are a totally different manner, and I agree with the OP and screenshot and report such, every time. One of the biggest issues with today is people are so used to their actions not having any consequences. Often timess the only way to learn, is to get slapped down. Certainly, nothing stops a banned person from making a new account, as we have all seen. But eventually, they might just find their IP address banned, and while again, one can get around it, one tends to either learn, or most likely, go find easier games and places to act the fool.

#175 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostNathan Bloodguard, on 24 February 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

I find it amazing that its all about the swear words. Its not about the swear words, its about offensive language. Its about harmful sentences, not the presence (or lack of) certain words. Its about name calling, degrading sentences. Its about bullying. I honestly think that most of us don't care about swear words, considering I know kids that use fouler language then me. Its about players using hate speech, like the title says....

I just want to make the point clear, as there seems to be some confusion on this matter.

This.

Example of "okay" swearing: "I f###ing love this Trebuchet! It turns those little Ravens into steaming piles of s###!"
-This isn't directed at anyone, so it's fine. Carry on.

Example of "not okay" swearing: "FupDup is little piece of f###ing s###. What a little f####. He needs to go run off an kill himself. C###sucker."
-Although the first sentence there has quite a considerable degree of validity to it, this is still an example of language to be avoided because it's directed at a specific person and used with foul intentions.

Edited by FupDup, 24 February 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#176 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

View Postshintakie, on 24 February 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

A lot of what keeps the gaming industry, and in turn gamers in general, from being taken seriously in society is because of garbage attitudes like this.

The people who say deal with it and act all cool and edgey because they're totally fine with racists and homophobes and sexists online are part of the friggin problem. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they're worse than the hate speech spoutin jerkoffs because they're perpetuatin the stereotype that gamers are a bunch of children who giggle at the word n*****.

I'm reminded of the story not too long ago about the woman who quit a decently lucrative spot on a progaming fighting team because of extremely sexist garbage her team manager was saying. Just, awful awful stuff. Do you know how people reacted to that story? You'd think disgust right in this day and age? Nope. The common line was "That's just how this stuff is." One ***** actually had the gall to say that sexism was part of the "culture of fighting games." and that trying to take that out would be "a horrible blow to the fighting game community."

Sexism. A part of the flippin culture.

Is that what you people really want to be known for? Is sexism, racism, homophobia, bigotry in general, is this the kind of stuff you all actually want associated with whenever you declare you're a gamer? Because that's how it is now and the reason for it is because of garbage like this.

I'm tired of it and I'm absolutely sick of apologists like you all who think that because its always been this way it should always stay this way.

I reject that idea. I reject that idea that its acceptable to not call someone out when they call someone a jewfag in game. I reject the idea that I shouldn't be offended when someone starts spoutin off about how we're all a bunch of f***** n*****. And most of all I reject the idea that I'm the one who is the problem when I say that I'm tired of being associated with these lowlifes simply because I choose to identify myself as a gamer.

Yes, because obviously all of us who believe that language is one of the true freedoms of human existence are by definition racist, venom-spewing pigs. Thanks. You know, for not cussing, you've said some really horrible things to quite a few people who don't deserve the labels you give them. Wow, isn't that ironic? You ARE what you HATE!

On a slightly more serious note: I do think we should report the use of hate-speech. I don't think we should set up a stringent speech monitor, because those things restrict free speech. The banhammer can and should be used on those who propagate hatred, but to go so far as to restrict our right to talk to each other without being 'offensive?'

And honestly I hope you're offended by this post, you might listen that way. I don't hate you, I don't seek in any way to demean you or your identity or those of people in minority racial or cultural groups; but kid you are DEAD WRONG.

#177 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostMegahard, on 24 February 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Grow up maybe. How do you even handle the internet without killing yourself? People say ridiculous things to get a rise, just ignore it.

Where'd you get the idea than any of this bothers me?

Edited by The Cheese, 24 February 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#178 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostDavers, on 24 February 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

If there was a poll based on the OP, 'Do You Think Hate Speech Has a Place In MWO?' it seems a surprising number of people would either answer yes, or be apathetic about it.

seriously, dude

has anyone in this thread said they would promote hate speech? do you even know what hate speech is?

#179 Nathan Bloodguard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

This.

Example of "okay" swearing: "I f###ing love this Trebuchet! It turns those little Ravens into steaming piles of s###!"
-This isn't directed at anyone, so it's fine. Carry on.

Example of "not okay" swearing: "FupDup is little piece of f###ing s###. What a little f####. He needs to go run off an kill himself. C###sucker."
-Although the first sentence there has quite a considerable degree of validity to it, this is still an example of language to be avoided because it's directed at a specific person and used with foul intentions.

that would be what i was trying to say. its not the swearing, its the context of the sentence, as the second one is offensive and should be reported, while the first is fine.

#180 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 24 February 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Guild Wars 2 had a bunch of people banned for inappropriate behavior in the game. They even have a chat filter. The problem was, people would bypass the filter by t y p i n g l i k e t h i s to sneak the words they wanted into the chat. I've seen it on here too. (On guild Wars 2, you can always turn off the filter, so there was no need to by pass it.) They also banned for content of chat, not for individual words.

Wanna know what those same banned people did (even though it was only for 2 days of banning I think). They were the loudest group of people demanding to be in the game playing because they have a "right" to play the game, and they never had a problem with that behavior on other games. (They even banned people who had bad names too, and those people stated how long and how many games let them use that name before,) I think Guild Wars 2 set a good example. I think we can do so here too. It doesn't have to be a perma ban, just a day or two. But have it be an action worth the ban at the same time. Minor offenses that are "borderline" could always get warnings, and X number of warnings would be a small ban or something.

Just because this is the internet and we all can "say what we want without repercussions" doesn't me we all should "saw what we want", especially if it promotes *"sinful" acts, and you should be able to "Man Up" and take the punishment you deserve when you know you've crossed the line. (Between friends is one thing. In the open chat is different. If you private message your pal and be rude, crude and talk hate to him, and he's good with it, then whatever. Over an "open comm", where everyone can hear it, or to someone not your friend, then you should probably be quite or take your punishment.)

A famous expression many of you seem to be forgetting here. "If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all."

*The term "sinful" here is referring to unwanted actions or promoting objects, feelings or actions that are deemed inappropriate, such as: Racial/Religious hate talk, Harassment, Bigotry, Suicide (not referring to in game, but real life) and other actions that promote a negative environment. Do note that swearing is not on the list, though I'm sure I left some things out. The occasional curse word isn't wrong.

Devs should put a rating on this game, and then try to hold all content to that level. That way, if a certain discussion exceeds the rated level, they can take actions. Such as a PG-13 level. Swearing isn't really bad, but certain other chat would be deemed inappropriate for that age group.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users