Players Using Hate Speech In Game.

419 replies to this topic

#41 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostDemona, on 24 February 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

There's still nothing wrong with shunning bigots and telling them they have no place in a community as awesome as this. Standing up to such losers and exiling them is one of the best steps you can take.

Er, you probably shouldn't do that. I should probably check, but I think it's against policy to publicly name and shame. Really not appropriate, might even be just as bad.

#42 Kozer

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostDemona, on 24 February 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Hey, I curse like a sailor, but bigotry is just crossing the line. Hate speech isn't appropriate. It's not crazy and weird to oppose hate. Since when is it too sensitive to want to stop bigotry? You want to start skipping hand in hand with the KKK or something? Why be an apologist for bigots? You've got nothing better to do... ?

Ignoring them is far from going "hand in hand with the KKK" as you put it. It only affects you if you let it. Where I am stationed we make fun of each other. I am white, they make fun of me for that. Does it get to me? No. If someone has some real malice **** em. Ya it ****** you off, but should it be enough to ruin your day?

#43 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postzverofaust, on 24 February 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

Oh christ on a stick now you're bringing up the Civil Rights movement, you truly are a walking breathing bag of hyperbolic idiocy.

LOL. You're really high on yourself. XD

#44 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostDemona, on 24 February 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Of course you can exile and shun them. Reasonable people don't tolerate that sort of thing. Do you think the Civil Rights movement was a success because people ignored hatred and bigoted speech? **** no! People said, "Stop that **** if you want to be part of this church/be my friend/belong to this club, etc..."

You don't stick your head in the sand when the KKK rolls into the town picnic. You kick the ******* out on their ***** and tell them to **** off.

No, you are not entitled to "get back at" them. You are entitled to report any behavior which you think violates Piranha's policies, and THEY are entitled to do whatever they want about it.

#45 Liberty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

It is against PGI policy to name and shame. The only way you could do it would be to post on a private site and make sure there were no ties to your account.

#46 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Big Difference between trash talk and straight up hate speech. Some swear words here and there aren't the end of the world, but seriously, there needs to be a hard line drawn on the racial, sexual and homophobic language.

#47 zverofaust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hey guise ______ just called me a noob this is totally repression and fascist and bigotted and it needs to stop Nooba Parks didn't sacrifice her life for nothing the Noob Rights Movement was a serious thing and this kind of hate speech needs to be taken seriously or else the Nuub Nux Nlan are going to take over and kill all the Noobs!!!!!!!

Edited by zverofaust, 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#48 James Montana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Individuals can say whatever they wish, as long it does not infringe on the individual liberties of another. This includes all flavors of speech. It crosses the line when it has a measurable impact on liberty. And no, I'm not referring to protected speech, because it is not.

If it bothers you, then go watch blazing saddles.

#49 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postzverofaust, on 24 February 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Hey guise ______ just called me a noob this is totally repression and fascist and bigotted and it needs to stop Nooba Parks didn't sacrifice her life for nothing the Noob Rights Movement was a serious thing and this kind of hate speech needs to be taken seriously or else the Nuub Nux Nlan are going to take over and kill all the Noobs!!!!!!!

Cool story, bro. Come at me. ;)

#50 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostLubalin, on 24 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

I see players using racial slurs and slurs against sexual orientation regularly.

If you do use such words, you're on notice. I screenshot and report it every time.

However, I still see the same players in game later. I'm starting to notice a trend. The policy on this needs to be made more clear to players, and we need better reporting, chat filtering, and blocking tools in-game.

I've voiced concerns about imbalances, and that's one thing. But if the company that manages this game refuses to police this, I will quit. And I will send screenshots to every major gaming site I can find with hopes they'll pick up the story.

I'm not posting them here because I don't want to name and shame.

Something needs to be done about this. We as a community need to band together against this. It's disgusting.

Posted Image

this should cover 'im up,..unless he's bigger than I thought

dude, i understand where you're coming from but you lost my respect with the "PGI, if you don't do something I'm tellin!!' BS

Edited by PoisonWolf, 24 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#51 Nathan Bloodguard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostJohnny Morgan, on 24 February 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

....and it's a free to play game, banning them just means they start a new account.

Also what constitutes hate speech?

I'm actually curious to know what is offending you?

ps play the game a lot and have NEVER seen anything remotely hate speechish

maybe what they should do is penalize the person by charging and in game fee of x c-bills for each offense. After a while they might get tired of being broke from offensive language charges and change their ways.

#52 Liberty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Well... True people can say what you like but this also depends where you are. If a person suddenly stood up in a movie theater and shouted racial profanities at a person you can guess what would happen to him. The same should be true of this game. You are free to say such things but that doesn't mean there isn't a penalty for doing so.

#53 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostLiberty, on 24 February 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Well... True people can say what you like but this also depends where you are. If a person suddenly stood up in a movie theater and shouted racial profanities at a person you can guess what would happen to him. The same should be true of this game. You are free to say such things but that doesn't mean there isn't a penalty for doing so.

That's all I'm saying. ;)

#54 zverofaust

• 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostNathan Bloodguard, on 24 February 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

maybe what they should do is penalize the person by charging and in game fee of x c-bills for each offense. After a while they might get tired of being broke from offensive language charges and change their ways.

I would like to go ahead and prematurely nominate this for Worst Post of 2013. I know the end of the year is a long way away but I'm feeling good that this one will remain a frontrunner.

Edited by zverofaust, 24 February 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#55 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostHRR Insanity, on 24 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Screenshot and report them to support@mwomercs.com

I report at least 1-3 people per day for those activities (with screenshot proof).

If everyone reported them when it occurs, the bad actors will be quickly found/banned.

i generaly dont give enough of a crap to report them just for vulgure language... the way i see it is if they didnt want people seeing it they would drop a filter in it.

#56 Darth JarJar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, U.S.A.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 24 February 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Not to be glib about it but its the internet its full of young people who in real life have no power and probably get bullied alot, so when they get online they try to dish it out in the way they never can IRL because there is little blow back.

Such behavior does need to be punished, and your right to report them all but dont let them get to you.

This^

View Postzverofaust, on 24 February 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

I would like to go ahead and prematurely nominate this for Worst Post of 2013. I know the end of the year is a long way away but I'm feeling good that this one will remain a frontrunner.

Like a "Curse Jar"? LOL! Great entertainment value but, I don't think so, Tim.....

#57 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

There should be a way to turn off chat... My kid plays this game!

#58 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I just wanted to call attention to the issue, hoping to show that these features should be more important and the related policies should be more clear.

The controversy alone is more than enough to prove the point. Cheers and see you in game.

#59 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

While I personally don't care for racial slurs or bigoted remarks, I think that any time you're in a public forum you have to wear your "big boy" pants and realize that the Internet is full of jerks and you're never going to be able to change that. Ever.

#60 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

There should definitely be language filters in place. There is no reason why someone would have to be worried that their 14 year old is playing this game.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users