145 replies to this topic

#121 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

So, just downloaded my copy of TRO: 3145 Clans.

I must say I am rather impressed, not by the units being really good, but by the fact that most are pretty average.

I like that the Wulfen has stealth armor, but dislike that it uses a stupid silly XXL engine. Nice and speedy, and really good for flanking, and harassing at range but pretty fragile once hit.

The only really really nasty unit is the Tomahawk II. 100 tons of Clan fury, also it looks like a Ryoken on steroids. So I herby proclaim it the 'roidoken. :(

#122 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Same thoughts here.

Quad Vees are an interesting idea - but anything else... average.

Nice to know that the Shrike is the piece of scrap i always thought it is.

Hellbringer - as the line heavy mech it always should have been but no real "Dire Wolf II"
- the Tomahawk is as any clan mech walking less than 64 kph somewhat of inefficient. Its not the way of the clan to put so much fire power into a mech.... and as far as i can rememeber a DireWolf can mount 2 HAG 40s and dual ATM 12s - an i really believe thats more damage as the Tomahawk can deal.

#123 Nerroth

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Any thoughts on the trio of new QuadVees for the Hell's Horses, or are people waiting for the published rules for them in FM:3145 before casting judgement?

Edited by Nerroth, 12 August 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#124 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostNerroth, on 12 August 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Any thoughts on the trio of new QuadVees for the Hell's Horses, or are people waiting for the published rules for them in FM:3145 before casting judgement?

The rules are leaked on the dev blog, at least the "non finalized ones" it will be part of Interstellar ops not FM3145 as far as I know.

#125 Nerroth

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Both the QuadVees and the Colossi should have "classic" BT rules in FM:3145.

Whether or not those rules will also be a part of whatever form IO ends up taking remains to be seen. (Reportedly, there are some hard questions that need to be answered among the CGL brain trust regarding what exactly should, or should not, be in Interstellar Operations.)

Edited by Nerroth, 12 August 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#126 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

This was from the IO dev blog. very unfinished. but just a heads up for those who were curious. (is a cut up (to put things readable) from what was posted in the blog)
Spoiler

Edited by reign, 12 August 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#127 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 12 August 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Same thoughts here.

Quad Vees are an interesting idea - but anything else... average.

Nice to know that the Shrike is the piece of scrap i always thought it is.

Hellbringer - as the line heavy mech it always should have been but no real "Dire Wolf II"
- the Tomahawk is as any clan mech walking less than 64 kph somewhat of inefficient. Its not the way of the clan to put so much fire power into a mech.... and as far as i can rememeber a DireWolf can mount 2 HAG 40s and dual ATM 12s - an i really believe thats more damage as the Tomahawk can deal.

Yeah the Loki II was pretty nice, and it was very interesting to see the alternate bravo configuration had a long tom cannon on it.

Technically no Dire Wolf actually mounts twin HAG 40s, and twin ATM-12s. It could in theory as they'd just be pods you'd swap in and out as needed as it is an omni-mech, but none of the "tournament legal" configurations actually do. B)

Honestly I always felt having so many different omni-mechs was kind of silly. As you could just use one chassis in each 5 ton bracket and swap the weapons for the mission at hand. The only other real variation in it would I guess needing different ones for bigger or smaller engines, or I guess different arm, or leg types.

#128 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I see that the clans get their very own 3145 for it, I haven't had a chance to read a lot about the new time frame but I am guessing the clans are on the rampage again so designs will be clan heavy influenced.

#129 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Clans are spreading raving madness - and some how nobody seems able to stop them. Well lets hope for the surviving Light of Mankind or Manei Domini to stop them dead.

Before you ask - i would have destroyed Skye in nuclear fire but to give it to those falcon *****

Edited by Karl Streiger, 12 August 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#130 Fenris Winson

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Quadvees are conceptually cool, but the art style is kind of meh. At least they don't seem to have all the design restrictions of the LAMs.

I'm not sure why, but the Warwolf seems really weak to me. The Prime especially. I think it's the fact it's not making use of it's free heat sinks for that large an engine, which makes it feel like space inefficient Timber Wolf.

#131 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostFenris Winson, on 13 August 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

I'm not sure why, but the Warwolf seems really weak to me. The Prime especially. I think it's the fact it's not making use of it's free heat sinks for that large an engine, which makes it feel like space inefficient Timber Wolf.

What is a fact i like most. Look at the first Omni Mechs, the Gargoyle Prime for example - 16 DHS and your heat production was about 12 or 13. Same for the Henker. (Executioner).

It shows good taste not to min max those mechs

#132 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

I have so much DA stuff.... Thinking about selling it all.....

#133 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

The TRO's are pretty impressive. Most of the artwork gives the classic designs a better look compared to the original CBT artwork and the ugly MW:DA models, but I still hate the lore regardless. No matter how many times you revamp the classics to become B.A., the lore just undoes all the excitement.

Here's what I've learned about the Dark Age Era so far
Events:
The HPG systems are even in a worse state and the sole hope of repairing them has been kidnapped.
The new factions are just Inner Sphere and Clan cut-outs.
The Republic of the Sphere turn into a bunch of wussies and hid behind their "Fortress Republic".
Good Job Devlin...not ^_^
The Inner Sphere is plunged into war yet again, but this time from both inside and outside the Republic.

Inner Sphere:
House Liao -♫ I get knocked down, but I get up again you're never gonna keep me down! ♫
House Marik -dissolved into chaos and got exactly what they deserved, but reformed later on. Nevertheless, I'm glad they suffered.
House Davion - Well obviously, we have a raper in FedSun realms. He's comin in House Liao snatchin yo princess up. Tryin to screw her so yall need to hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo planets, cause he rapin everybody up here.

The Clans:
Clan Snow Raven- merges with the Outworlds Alliance to become the Raven Alliance
Clan Diamond Shark- becomes Clan Sea Fox once more as a nomadic trade fleet
The Ghost Bear Dominion- (formally known as Clan Ghost Bear) merges with the Free Rasalhague Republic to became the Rasalhague Dominion.
Clan Jade Falcon- now lead by a crazy Khan
Clan Wolf and Clan Wolf-in-Exile- has been reunited and reborn into the Wolf Empire
Clan Hell's Horses- just lost their Mongol Doctrine and a new galaxy to Clan Crazy Falcon.
Clan Smoke Jaguar-survivors reform into the Fedelis lead by Custos (Star Colonel Paul Moon) and then fled after fulfilling their "debt"
R.I.P. Clan Nova Cat 2807-3145

I hate this era so much

Edited by Will9761, 29 August 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#134 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostWill9761, on 29 August 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Clan Jade Falcon- now lead by a crazy Khan

Is the only thing that drives me mad. Really mad. You should know I was a supporter of Clan JadeFalcon for a long time - but there invasion of Skye - all that i wish for is that they got finally wiped out - hell if it is possible i would also make a errata of CBT history - and declare Clan Jadefalcon as target of operation Bulldog and Snake.

However the dark ages look more tumulting as even the Jihad - what feels a little bit like W40K - in the dark future after the second fall of the Star League there is only WAR.

What I like - most: Skye Jaegers are still there

#135 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

I'm with you too, I also supported Clan Jade Falcon until the Dark Age did this mess to them. I felt that the Jade Falcons had lost the clan way and turned into psychopaths. I hate how WizKidz turned a clan that I loved into a clan I hate to love. After that, I got real tired of the Dark Age Era. Also, prior to all this Dark Age BS, Katherine Steiner-Davion voted to put Clan Jade Falcon on Annihilation for Operation Bulldog and Taskforce Serpent even though everyone said it should be Clan Smoke Jaguar during the Clan Invasion.

Edited by Will9761, 30 August 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#136 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostWill9761, on 30 August 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I'm with you too, I also supported Clan Jade Falcon until the Dark Age did this mess to them. I felt that the Jade Falcons had lost the clan way and turned into psychopaths. I hate how WizKidz turned a clan that I loved into a clan I hate to love. After that, I got real tired of the Dark Age Era. Also, prior to all this Dark Age BS, Katherine Steiner-Davion voted to put Clan Jade Falcon on Annihilation for Operation Bulldog and Taskforce Serpent even though everyone said it should be Clan Smoke Jaguar during the Clan Invasion.

Katherine Steiner Davion is a self serving B*tch! She tried to manipulate the whole conference on Tharkad to make her come out shining. It spectacularly failed. The Jags were selected because they were the worst of the worst (Turtlebay).

#137 Nerroth

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostWill9761, on 29 August 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

The HPG systems are even in a worse state and the sole hope of repairing them has been kidnapped.

His story is continued in A Bonfire of Worlds. I'm hoping that there will be a post-Bonfire update to that particular storyline in Field Manual: 3145, but we'll have to wait and see what that volume has to say on what has been going on behind the Fortress walls.

House Marik -dissolved into chaos and got exactly what they deserved, but reformed later on. Nevertheless, I'm glad they suffered.

Only partially. Regulus, Andurien, and a swath of independent worlds are still out of the League as of 3145, plus most of the now-former Marik-Stewart Commonwealth has fallen to the Wolves.

House Davion - Well obviously, we have a raper in FedSun realms. He's comin in House Liao snatchin yo princess up. Tryin to screw her so yall need to hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo planets, cause he rapin everybody up here.

If you are referring to Caleb, he is no longer a problem as of 3145. The Federated Suns itself has some pretty major concerns courtesy of the Combine and Confederation by that time, however.

Clan Wolf and Clan Wolf-in-Exile- has been reunited and reborn into the Wolf Empire

I've seen this noted elsewhere, but it is not supported by the material in Bonfire and Era Report: 3145. The Exiles are still effectively a sub-faction of the Lyran Commonwealth (one which, as of 3145, is straining to keep the Jade Falcons at bay in their home theatre) and have not become a part of the Empire. Even in the notable personality section of ER:3145, the current Exile Khan is listed under the Lyran section, not the Clan one.

Whether that changes during the course of events to be portrayed in the forthcoming ilClan sourcebook remains to be seen. (Reportedly, that file will cover the timeline from 3146 to c.3151, and incorporate the "Fall of Terra" events of 3150 featured at this year's GenCon.)

Edited by Nerroth, 30 August 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#138 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

I have no clue what happened in Dark Ages. Could someone explain to me?

#139 Nerroth

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

From the perspective of Catalyst Game Labs, this era is divided into three portions (at least for the time being).

The first is the early Republic era, running from 3081 to 3100. This was the first generation of the Republic of the Sphere's existence, when the realm was still trying to establish itself.

The late Republic era runs from 3101 to 3130, which saw new generations of people emerge who had been born and raised in an Inner Sphere where the existence as the Republic was a fact of life.

During the above time periods, there were a handful of significant border wars in different parts of the Sphere, but none of them were enough of a crisis to disrupt the broader peace. (Those conflicts will be covered in the upcoming Historical: Wars of the Republic Era sourcebook.)

The "true" Dark Age proper started on Gray Monday, a day in 3132 when 80 percent of the known HPG grid collapsed. (Technically, the actual blackout hit on the Sunday, but it wasn't until the day after when the full magnitude of what had happened began to sink in.)

The Republic was beset by a series of opportunistic "pirate factions" (i.e. the ones seen in MechWarrior: Dark Age/Age of Destruction), which arose in pursuit of a number of rival agendas being pursued by their respective leaders. It would not be until mid-3134 before things started to "get real", with the major realms and Clans starting to make their own moves in the post-Blackout era.

(The events before, during, and after the Blackout will be covered in the forthcoming Era Digest: Dark Age PDF.)

in 3135, a major contingency plan was activated, creating Fortress Republic - a core region surrounding Terra protected by a jump shield preventing anyone on the outside from getting in. This act bought the Republic time to rebuild behind the walls, but also effectively abandoned the outlying Republic Territories to the predations of their various neighbours.

As of 3145, only a small Remnant still exists of the Republic beyond the Fortress walls - and the intervening ten years have seen the fires of ar spread across the rest of the Inner Sphere, as old hatreds and new disputes drag the various realms and Clans into full-scale conflict.

This ten-year period which has unfolded beyond the Fortress walls is outlined in Era Report: 3145, while we may see more about the workings inside the Fortress itself in Field Manual: 3145.

And by the end of 2013, we may see the ilClan sourcebook, which is reported to pick the story up from 3146 through to c. 3151. Notably, there was a recent event held at GenCon called "Fall of Terra", which was set in 3150 and saw the Republic fight against the Wolves on humanity's home world. Where things end up in 3151, or what it might mean for the uncharted waters which BattleTech is set to jump into in 2014 and beyond, remain to be seen.

Edited by Nerroth, 31 August 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#140 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

question is, what does this jump shield entail?

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users