Ask The Devs 33 - Answered!

130 replies to this topic

#61 PeRRaKo

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • Locationマドリード - スペイン

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

WraithMandaka: When will we see private matches?

A: Private matches will be implemented, but not in a way players are probably thinking. We are still working out ways to make this feasible. No ETA.

This one worries me VERY, VERY much...

#62 Hellboy561

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, United Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

Not the best, some answers but still skirting around the main questions. I think people would rather have smaller questions actually answered than a whole post of "No plans" and "Can't Say".

Please next time find the questions that you can answer and make the community happy instead of winding everyone up again.

#63 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostPeRRaKo, on 09 March 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

A: Private matches will be implemented, but not in a way players are probably thinking. We are still working out ways to make this feasible. No ETA.

I find this answer to be one of the most intriguing of the bunch ... (edit, added the next bit) It's only mostly a non-answer.

Edited by Kageru Ikazuchi, 09 March 2013 - 04:54 AM.

#64 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

@ Kageru Ikazuchi & Deathlike:

That was, and still is, my understanding of how the weapon fall of damage is calculated also. Thank you for confirming that it is the case. I don't remember having seen it previously answered formally, I may well have missed it before though.

However, that is not the answer that was given as part of this week's set of answers, which could potentially be very confusing for new players. It shows either a lack of comprehension of the questions or a lack of knowledge regarding game mechanics.

A bit dissapointing either way.

#65 Akdar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Yeah have to say I'm incredibly disappointed with waiting 2 weeks for this half assed post. I had been saying how much I was looking forward to this week's answers when discussing it with my brother and my 3 other friends I got to play this game.

Just seems like it was a "Whatever, I did what I had to." phoned in performance. I can't figure out if they were supposed to be funny responses, but it was just confusing and a waste of everyone's time.

Take a step back and reread the formal post. Is that honestly what you look at and go "Yup I think the community is really going to appreciate this info I gave them!"?

Sorry you guys have such a passionate community. It's a very captive audience but we'd like to see some passion back please.

#66 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostMoromillas, on 08 March 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Well, there's your performance issues right there. I can't even buy a 32 bit machine in-store anymore.

You understand that a 64 bit executable wouldn't necessarily run any faster, right?

#67 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Good answers, thanks devs.

But... I'm disappointed and frustrated that the question regarding matchmaking with 5, 6, or 7 friends was not answered. I really tried to ask the question in a manner that was not leading. I even re-wrote it three times to take any implied bias out.

Maybe I'm on a warning list and I don't know it? I guess there's always the next ask devs.

Edited by Rashhaverak, 09 March 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#68 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Why was my question about poptarting ignored?

#69 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostMoromillas, on 08 March 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Well, there's your performance issues right there. I can't even buy a 32 bit machine in-store anymore.

That is actually not true...for one, as a programmer, 64-bit only grants you more avenues to do stuff with. But it doesn't wholly effect performance.

Here is a good review over 32-bit to 64-bit: Gaming In 64-bit: Tom's Tests, Microsoft Weighs In

#70 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

You know what I think is the most telling thing. There has been barely any replies to this QnA thread.

People are just slowly getting to where they don't care and either quit or keep playing with no real hope.

Just barely hit 4 pages now.

#71 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 March 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Werewolf486: Can we have an On/Off switch for chat?

A: No plans.

So disappointed in this answer....Come on PGI. Stand up for what is a right of the people, the right to turn off the Vulgarity and Debauchery when we want to.

#72 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostZyllos, on 09 March 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

That is actually not true...for one, as a programmer, 64-bit only grants you more avenues to do stuff with. But it doesn't wholly effect performance. Here is a good review over 32-bit to 64-bit: Gaming In 64-bit: Tom's Tests, Microsoft Weighs In

Er, yeah, actually it partly is.

32-bit vs. 64-bit: More Bit, More Performance?
What advantages do 64-bit processors have over 32-bit ones?

#73 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostMoromillas, on 09 March 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

I think these two articles are reinforcing my original post.

64-bit does not give you "extra processing" power. Your not going to gain FPS or faster load time switching from 32-bit to 64-bit. But what you do gain is the amount of data that can be played around with. While that would produce situations where if you was allocating/deallocating memory on the fly, then yes, you would see visible performance. But that is due to the limited memory space available, not because 64-bit is faster than 32-bit.

Quote from the 2nd link:

Bottom line

There are no two ways about it—64-bit is the future. There might be some configurations, especially on older PCs with legacy programs and devices or PCs with less than 2 Gbyte of RAM, where 64-bit does not offer any performance gains. In these cases, it makes sense to stick with the 32-bit version of Windows. If your computer came preinstalled with a 32-bit operating system, and you never work with resource-intense applications, then you will not see any benefit from formatting your disk and installing a 64-bit edition.

But the PC industry is moving forward! 4 Gbyte of RAM is becoming the standard for consumer computers. Software is also becoming more memory-intense; there are more 64-bit-supported games coming out. In addition, the compatibility argument is becoming less of an issue. For the past 24 months, we have not seen any device not working with 64-bit editions of Windows Vista or 7. If you’re looking for a new computer, go x64, but first check to see if your programs and devices are ready for this architecture.

It only opens up avenues of allowing for more memory intensive operations to occur. It does not increase the performance of algorithms unless your algorithm requires many gigabytes of memory.

Edited by Zyllos, 09 March 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#74 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostPeRRaKo, on 09 March 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

lmao... You know what that means? It means they are trying to figure out how much to charge us to use this feature :(

#75 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostZyllos, on 09 March 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

I think these two articles are reinforcing my original post.

64-bit does not give you "extra processing" power. Your not going to gain FPS or faster load time switching from 32-bit to 64-bit. But what you do gain is the amount of data that can be played around with. While that would produce situations where if you was allocating/deallocating memory on the fly, then yes, you would see visible performance. But that is due to the limited memory space available, not because 64-bit is faster than 32-bit.

It only opens up avenues of allowing for more memory intensive operations to occur. It does not increase the performance of algorithms unless your algorithm requires many gigabytes of memory.

Not talking about end-users upgrading their systems to get a performance increase. When it comes to the pipeline, it's hard to contest that 64 bit is better. With benches like 3D Mark Vantage, PC Mark Vantage, Cinebench, they're not just fudging the numbers to make one look better than the other and these benches are in line with today's 3D applications.

Yes, it's not going to make much difference with an application like OpenOffice for example. However, yes it does make a difference for system resource intensive 3D applications with an increasing demand on graphical fidelity, like MWO.

#76 Accursed Richards

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 08 March 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Not to mention I don't actually care about ECM, personally. I think it's overpowered for its weight/criticals, but does it affect my gameplay experience in a big way? Eh, not really.

But what does **** me off is that they refuse to give a straight answer to the community. The ECM whine has been loud and consistent, they promised a Command Chair post a month ago, and they're still trying to sweep it under the rug.

It's truly bizarre. First there was Tolkein's well-reasoned and civil breakdown of the problems people had with ECM, which went three ATD threads without being addressed. Then there was some acknowledgement (kinda), by their snarkily saying "We don't decide to address questions based on popularity.", and a promise of a blog on ECM, which we're still waiting for.

It's not even about ECM particularly, more that this is a terrible way to address any concerns. Even "suck it, ECM stays as it is." would have been better.

#77 Bhan Zor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 March 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

DV McKenna: Initially we are told we'll get a one time transfer to the server region of our choice. Once done we are stuck there and there is no=zero ability to then play with the opposite region. Can you be a bit more specific here?

A: It’s a one way transfer. You can always create a new account in the desired region of play.

This is confusing, because I thought I read in a previous Q&A that you would basicly let us choose in which region we want to play on a per match basis. If you really backtrack on that (or it was a misunderstanding?), let me tell you dear sir, this is a huge mistake in the making either way...

#78 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Well that was the least informative "ask the dev's" yet.

Next time perhaps we should ask questions related to local weather, sports and the like.

#79 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 08 March 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

DV McKenna: Initially we are told we'll get a one time transfer to the server region of our choice. Once done we are stuck there and there is no=zero ability to then play with the opposite region. Can you be a bit more specific here?

A: It’s a one way transfer. You can always create a new account in the desired region of play.

This answer just floored me....... So PGI fully intends to split the community? Really?? You mean you can't just copy the sever files with the player base on it to the new UK severs?? Really?? I'm sorry PGI but this has to be your dumbest move to date. Here, I'll throw you a bone PGI, "Copy the player base from your NA sever files and transfer that over to your UK severs. Then add a "Select sever" option to your start up screen where you log in at. (i.e. NA or UK)" Now your entire player base can pick where they want to play at and not split the community.................

Yea..

*le sigh*

4AM bed times :/

No more cash from me

Edited by DV McKenna, 09 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#80 Solidussnake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 319 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

ObsidianSpectre: Has PGI started production on any clan related assets yet?

A: Can’t answer that, sorry.

If you couldn't have answered it you shouldn't have picked it as a question. Something like this should be information you guys actually release to us.

Another thing I find pathetic is no ETA on when critical hits will if ever effect a mech other then "this weapon is gone this ammo exploded"

Basically you are a screaming hey guys with MG's screw you, since we have no engine critical hits you are going to have to completely destory that section. Basically player base we are cementing the fact that MG's and Flamers are going to remain useless weapons we just thought a crit buff was a "great" idea.

Edited by Solidussnake, 09 March 2013 - 02:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users