Something New Via Twitter! Artemis Countdown (UPDATED 6/5/12)

890 replies to this topic

#881 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 05 June 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

E3 is here. Probably should have leaked some Mech info to calm the raging beast, then thrown in Artemis later on the week, where it would be all "AND A JOYSTICK TOO???" instead of opening up with joystick. Its your guys fault though, I told you not to get excited over the pixel by pixel mech releases, but you taught them you love them... :P

i agree if i saw a mech and joystick i would be cooool

#882 Keebler

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationDallas, Tx

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

View Posttynaiden, on 05 June 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Good logic and good point. I for one am happy there were able to secure third party interest. For one, it will increase the number of potential players through outside interests. For another reason -- if other third party endorsements come in, then that may alleviate the pressure to cover costs in-game with more 'cash-shop' items that may make some uncomfortable. At the very least things like this could give the extra funds to push deeper development for features we all (devs and fans) would really go crazy for.

While I was hoping for more game information this here has me a bit giddy:

I truely hope so. I have some spare devices I could rig up. Was not originally thinking of going overboard other than multiple monitors but if this is true... I may just get wild and inspired enough to make a more featured mini cockpit with extra monitors to mimic the ones seen in the in-game cockpit.

Again, I've said it in another thread, and you pretty much summed it up right there.

Third Party Interest is a GOOD THING! Dedicated Controllers is ALSO a good thing. For a "small" company such as PGI, creating a dedicated hardware device is a HUGE undertaking. Even if Razer did most of the Dev-Work, writing the code, while not entirely difficult given the skills, does require more time away from core development, which means more money invested. However, since they did go through the effort of writing extensions for an MFD capable device, then that means we could also, potentially, take advantage of the work they put into the Artemis.

Look beyond what is in front of you, and think about the potential of the future. The Artemis Controller isn't just a gimmick, it's a proof of concept of what is possible IN-GAME. They want to increase the immersion feel of the game, which is GOOD, they want to include Features we can really utilize, which is also GOOD for everyone. I will be buying one, not just because I'm a "fanboy", but because I want to support a company I firmly believe in (not Razer, they just happen to manufacture the device). I've literally been a fan of Battletech since 1988, and subsequently FASA.Because they made a game, and fostered a community unlike any other. I firmly believe PGI is carrying the same Torch of Unique Ingenuity as the FASA of old.

And to those who think this was just a "cheap ploy at marketing", well, for one, it's NOT cheap. They had to spend good money on the development work, the hardware testing. Who knows how many prototypes, and licensing/legal fees. All of that costs money. Even the bandwidth they dedicated to the page, and the COUNTLESS other duplicate threads in these forums cost PGI Money! (Think about that the next time you fail to do a search for a pre-existing thread and create your own.)

Everything adds up. So instead of saying "BOO HISS!"

Send your support to PGI and say THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR BEST TO MAKE OUR GAME AS GREAT AS IT CAN BE! PGI has been going on for 3 years trying to make this game, with a lot of hard time, and energy put into it.

THANK YOU Piranha Games! Keep up the hard work!

-Keebler

EDIT: And to add my opinion/request of the Artemis... If it will truly be a solid joystick, can we do without an Auto-Centering Spring? There's nothing more tiring then getting into a Circle of Death and having to fight the auto-center to maintain accuracy. Also, Saitek does a good job at making ambidextrous joysticks, so I know it's possible, as long as the unit is modular I can see it as a viable option.

Modularity also brings another benefit. If it IS modular, then you can move the MFD closer to the monitor to decrease the distance your eyes move. I think being able to put the MFD in your VOF is paramount to a successful execution of the feasibility of the device. Also, and I'm not sure about the Nostromo, but I would hope the keypad is AT LEAST 6KRO, would be nice if it were NKRO, but probably unnecessary, and an issue over USB without more advanced programming.

And if it were me, I would not make the MFD USB. USB powered graphics are subpar, when the same functionality can be accomplished with a $100 ARM11 Embedded Linux Display with VGA out. Or even over Wifi as others have mentioned with the iPad/ Android Tablets. I can show you how if y'all are looking for a hardware engineer. :lol:

Edited by Keebler, 06 June 2012 - 07:29 AM.

#883 perfectblue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

I will just leave this here. Good luck seeing Artemis in anything sub $500 price range.

Posted Image

#884 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

The primary reason I don't buy a HOTAS is simply because none come with a lifetime warranty. For that kinda money I need the investment to be lifetime. If the stick starts pulling to one side or becomes loose, it needs to be fixed. Can't afford to keep dropping hundreds of dollars once a product begins to have wear and tear that affects the gameplay.

#885 cipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

View Postperfectblue, on 06 June 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

I will just leave this here. Good luck seeing Artemis in anything sub $500 price range.

Posted Image

Very true. Razer is always overpriced, and this monstrosity joystick/console/monitor will come with a silly price tag.

Also, those pics at the show were of a mock-up of the model, not the real thing. The final product make look a little different. I doubt that display unit works, let alone does anything real.

#886 Red Sun

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostKeebler, on 06 June 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

Again, I've said it in another thread, and you pretty much summed it up right there.

Third Party Interest is a GOOD THING! Dedicated Controllers is ALSO a good thing. For a "small" company such as PGI, creating a dedicated hardware device is a HUGE undertaking. Even if Razer did most of the Dev-Work, writing the code, while not entirely difficult given the skills, does require more time away from core development, which means more money invested. However, since they did go through the effort of writing extensions for an MFD capable device, then that means we could also, potentially, take advantage of the work they put into the Artemis.

Look beyond what is in front of you, and think about the potential of the future. The Artemis Controller isn't just a gimmick, it's a proof of concept of what is possible IN-GAME. They want to increase the immersion feel of the game, which is GOOD, they want to include Features we can really utilize, which is also GOOD for everyone. I will be buying one, not just because I'm a "fanboy", but because I want to support a company I firmly believe in (not Razer, they just happen to manufacture the device). I've literally been a fan of Battletech since 1988, and subsequently FASA.Because they made a game, and fostered a community unlike any other. I firmly believe PGI is carrying the same Torch of Unique Ingenuity as the FASA of old.

And to those who think this was just a "cheap ploy at marketing", well, for one, it's NOT cheap. They had to spend good money on the development work, the hardware testing. Who knows how many prototypes, and licensing/legal fees. All of that costs money. Even the bandwidth they dedicated to the page, and the COUNTLESS other duplicate threads in these forums cost PGI Money! (Think about that the next time you fail to do a search for a pre-existing thread and create your own.)

Everything adds up. So instead of saying "BOO HISS!"

Send your support to PGI and say THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR BEST TO MAKE OUR GAME AS GREAT AS IT CAN BE! PGI has been going on for 3 years trying to make this game, with a lot of hard time, and energy put into it.

THANK YOU Piranha Games! Keep up the hard work!

-Keebler

I like what you say. I think the big reason why so many of us are disappointed is not because the device isn't cool, but because so many of us will never be able to use a dedicated controller. I for one will never be able to justify the expense, even if it's sub$100. So I feel left out. You're all absolutely right that PGI teaming up with Razer is a big deal and is huge towards helping MWO and PGI become big. I wish I could be more excited - but it's kind of like when my friend had a lan party for his birthday party and I didn't have a computer I could bring. As much as I love my friend and love gaming, there was just no way I could participate. I wanted to support him and be part of the fun, but he chose a venue that forced me to sit on the sidelines. I want to support PGI and I'm willing to spend money on MWO too, when I have it.

#887 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

I know how to boost sales of the Artemis Controller:

"Everyone who buys an Artemis, and registers it with MW:O will reiceive a UM-R60 UrbanMech for their hangar!"

#888 CompleteTanker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 06 June 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

"Everyone who buys an Artemis, and registers it with MW:O will reiceive a UM-R60 UrbanMech for their hangar!"

Would that be first ever incarnation of "Pay to Lose" ? :lol:

j/k

#889 Piranha

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

fun fact: hawken, which looks more like your typical, fast paced FPS (just with robots), sports the more awesome BattleMech controller imho :lol:
https://twitter.com/...3154305/photo/1

#890 cipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 06 June 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Bwa-hahahaha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users