How Would You Introduce The Clans?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

this isnt a balance or gameplay question this is if you were PGI and clans were ready to go how would you release them?

Personaly i would give ZERO warning about them, then the day we plan to release at "peak" play time have it go like this

people playing their matchs, going about normally then all of a sudden warnings start going off about unknown mech detected/incoming drop ships etc etc or could just do a silent assault too

then have (possible ways to do this) either

option A 1 star of AI clan mechs show up taking on all comers (and these mechs would be DECKED THE F OUT and let people try to take them down.

OPtion B is just have a ton of invulnerable Clan mechs show up to just waste everyone (would go with the CLAN lore that they show up and are almost unstoppable)

if they release them same day as the 12vs12 matches they could have all matches till then be the 8v8 standard then all of a sudden 8 clan mechs show up.

be pretty damn fun and intense i think, How would you feel being in middle of a match and get all sorts of alerts (or out of no where) and then you run face first into a Dashi....
Before you mech could be salavaged im sure they would have to clean excriment out of your chair and whats left of the cockpit.

#2 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Doesn't matter currently.

If they put the clans in at TT tech levels, they are going to be so overpowered that a 50 ton mech will be a match for an atlas.

....and there is no reason to for everyone to NOT stomp straight into them.

#3 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm thinking the Clans should be introduced with either a handshake or a bow.

#4 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Zero warning, normal 8v8 match, PGI staff solo dropping clan mechs (in hopes to not stack the odds in the favor of one team over the other too much), and let everyone be distracted by the new model / flood chat.

Edit: Would also be a limited time event, like Twitch.

Edited by Dead Eye 01, 11 March 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

The Devs drop in them in place of the the OpFor. And pounce on the players with thunder and precision.

#6 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

The Clans are notedly poor visitors. Why introduce them, they'll introduce themselves, steal stuff from civilized people, enslave their POWs.

The Clans are brutal scum, with no need for introduction and attention needing whiney's that should be sent to the corner and made to sit there.

Presumably they'll be introduced with 4 or more of them available for a "low low price"

#7 Cairbre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 163 posts
  • LocationHoly Terra

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Oh I like that. So our first glimpses are screen caps, perhaps one or two lucky FRAPS, and the sheer terror of walking over a hill into a MadCat's arms. Limiting the mechs to the initial release for chosen folks would also allow them to make sure the Clans used their honor code.

I still like the idea of Clan week, where 4 or 5 Omnimechs are rolled out in a cluster. Rewarding some of the challenge player or leaderboard folks with an early Omni would be a real stand up move on PGI's part too.

#8 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostPh30nix, on 11 March 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

How would you introduce the clans?

BÄM!

#9 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

How Would You Introduce The Clans?

In the newsfeed.

#10 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'd introduce them by randomly giving top ELO 8man groups a set of clan mechs based on thier best ELO class, and letting them into pug groups, for two months.

Make them feel the power.

#11 GT Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

simple. Have select group of people do drops with clan tech for a while. Allows for them to gather data for balance. Also those groups needs to have smaller numbers of mechs vs IS. Ie 5 man star vs 2 4 man lances.

#12 Byk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Have it take place over a weekend, so lots of people can participate. Announce some secret event or hint very very subtly that something big is happening on said weekend. Have the Devs and a trusted group/clan/company of people drop in clan mechs, say clan things in chat. The Devs + company would be better because this would give more people the opportunity to play against clan mechs in this event. Have the stomping go on until the weekend ends. Then next week on the weekend or regular patch day put the clan mechs for sale. This whole week period will give people time to digest what just happened and build up excitement until they can actually purchase/play against clan mechs again. Plus it sounds good for immersion, at least to me anyway.

#13 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

I wouldn't actually.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 March 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

The Devs drop in them in place of the the OpFor. And pounce on the players with thunder and precision.

This is very unlikely. Frankly, they don't have to time to do this in an organized fashion that will have the intended impact on the playerbase.

View PostByk, on 11 March 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Have the Devs and a trusted group/clan/company of people drop in clan mechs, say clan things in chat.

Cue outrage at how the Devs are playing favorites.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 11 March 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I wouldn't actually.

This is very unlikely. Frankly, they don't have to time to do this in an organized fashion that will have the intended impact on the playerbase.

Awwww yer no fun :) :(

#15 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostChavette, on 11 March 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

I'd introduce them by randomly giving top ELO 8man groups a set of clan mechs based on thier best ELO class, and letting them into pug groups, for two months.

Make them feel the power.

Seriously guys, you're not even TRYING to think this through here.

#16 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

This topic was moved to the Clans sub forum, where it is more appropriate.

#17 Yankee77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Usually they introduce themselves with some sort of bid.

Were it an option, I would introduce myself with a time on target artillery barrage. :)

#18 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostINSEkT L0GIC, on 11 March 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

I'm thinking the Clans should be introduced with either a handshake or a bow.

I'd say handshake, bowing isn't my thing.

#19 Strig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

First, I would tease them mercilessly through the ComStar news reports.

When they are finally ready for an appearance in-game I would create a 'founders-like' package (to net some cash and allow fans of the Clan mechs a chance to have the same benefits enjoyed by the IS Founders). This would be a limited time offer.

Next I would add a new Clan Mech 'tab' under Trial Mechs and Owned Mechs (which would change to IS Mechs). They should not share equipment.

I would segregate all CBills and GXP so that Clan and IS mechs can use MC but have to earn their own in-game currency (honor for clans?) and experience pools.

Finally, I would not allow Clan to drop with IS ... Clan mechs drop in 5 mech Stars, IS mechs drop in 4 mech Lances. Balance 8v5 and 12v10 if there is Clan on one side and IS on the other ... otherwise 5v5 and 10v10 for clan on clan and 8v8 and 12v12 for IS on IS.

Edited by Strig, 11 March 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#20 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

Leaked photos from comstar or fedcom corrupt individuals. Or, my favorite; a teaser trailer depicting clan chassis as shadowy figures coupled with a clan version of the founders program directly following that event.

** with early access to the new playable factions **

Edited by Pando, 12 March 2013 - 12:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users