64 replies to this topic

#41 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostF lan Ker, on 14 March 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

S!

Exactly my thoughts Mr 144 ;) It would be perfect as I have already configured most used options to my throttle and joystick buttons, do not need to touch keyboard unless putting something in chat. Just the immersion if you had support for TrackIR and stuff, to be able to really "drive" the Mech as it should be. Can always dream... :P

Yep...always why I loved the MechWarrior series...The immersion of a SIM, but with far less concentration required. There's plenty of combinations using the level of control schemes for everyone as well. Here's probablly the most 'competetive' Set-up I can think of, and pretty much exactly what I'm after ;)....

Throttle:
Map the Turning Axis to an analog rotary dial like I've done (pic in an earlier post). This is more desktop friendly than full-bodied MWO with footpedals.

Mouse:
Set to control Torso Movement. Use 'Arm Lock' set to on for standard running around, and toggle, or hot-key it off at will for actual fighting...

TrackIR:
This does not require integration, we can map axis ourselves easily enough, just the ability to do so is required. This would be on-the-fly arm control. You can 'kind-of' do this now with free look, but when you do, it locks out torso control. This is really the only change needed to make it all work.

Devs:
I know I don't have a large following of support for this, but you can't tell me this wouldn't make every Joystick user and SIM pit warrior happy. You've said before that the mouse and keyboard work so well for this game, that you don't think it's needed, and perhaps it's not. Steel Battalion, Hawken, and Razer Artemis controllers (if we'll ever see them) could all make use of these features, not to mention standard HoTaS set-ups. Is it possible to do? engine limitations? lack of time/resources (understandable)? Long term dream? Sneak it in soon?....Pretty Baby Please?

Mr 144

#42 Equalizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I like the upcoming controls changes very much, especially the centre legs to torso and the new SHIFT arm-lock. What I would really like to see, however, is the option to assign toggle for all bindings. For example, I'd like to be able to either toggle advanced zoom (as it is now) or use the same key as a press-and-hold to keep the zoom up. Other uses that readily come to mind are the arms lock, weapon groups (toggle TAG anyone?) or even ECM modes. Again, the point here is I'd like to CHOOSE the functionality I bind to a key - like add a separate field for toggle keys or just a checkbox at each binding that makes it toggle/hold key or something.

#43 Omid Kiarostami

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostMurku, on 13 March 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

Throttle Decay? Does slapping it in reverse (press S maxes neg 100%) break us harder, does zeroing throttle first still do anything?

Not explicitly. It won't make your Mech accelerate/decelerate faster than you usually would, but if your Mech would move faster than holding the key moved your throttle cursor up/down, it will effectively seem like you are accelerating/decelerating quicker. This is not new though, and you'd get the same behaviour out of a throttle peripheral right now.

View PostMurku, on 13 March 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

SHIFT toggling Arm Lock, does this mean our screen then centres on Arm recticle ala current SHIFT function?

Toggling Arm Lock switches between having your arm reticle aim at the torso crosshair, and having them move around independently of each other (like it is right now). There's no difference between using SHIFT or the options menu to toggle Arm Lock, except that SHIFT is something you can do on the fly.

#44 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostOmid Kiarostami, on 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

[/size]
Not explicitly. It won't make your Mech accelerate/decelerate faster than you usually would, but if your Mech would move faster than holding the key moved your throttle cursor up/down, it will effectively seem like you are accelerating/decelerating quicker. This is not new though, and you'd get the same behaviour out of a throttle peripheral right now.

Toggling Arm Lock switches between having your arm reticle aim at the torso crosshair, and having them move around independently of each other (like it is right now). [size=4]There's no difference between using SHIFT or the options menu to toggle Arm Lock, except that SHIFT is something you can do on the fly.

I would like to have the ability to just press shift rather than hold it down, basically shortcutting to the toggle checkbox rather than temporarily overriding.

#45 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

S!

Mr144, as you pointed out, not much needed for TrackIR support. Remove the "torso lock" when looking around and we got full free look and could move normally at the same time :wacko: What devs will do is up to them, but I hope players not using solely mouse/Keyboard will not be given the short end. Time will tell.

#46 Cybernetic Barry

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

It strikes me as odd that the new control options are being made the defaults. Does this mean they'll override the current settings? Or only on fresh clients? I suppose it doesn't matter, but then, the whole throttle as accelerator pedal doesn't make sense to me at all, especially when I can see the throttle in my pilots hands in game.

#47 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Guys, just fix the throttle and joystick and stop worrying about and ice age in Canada. Think about it when you are all looking for a job then you may understand . Yes the stick will be fixed. To waist your time now is worthy of a one way, trip to Hudson's Bay in the winter.

#48 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostJabilo, on 12 March 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Feed back.

Turn of arm lock by default. It is not helping new players to hide functionality from the start. Learning how to use unlocked reticles is crucial when different weapons are on the arms and torso.

Make arm lock a toggle, not press to activate. At the very least have the option to make it a toggle an option in the game options page.

Thank you

I came here to make a post about this, but Jabilo has already done it word-for-word.

If you can't make the arm-lock toggle-able, could you at least allow us to choose the default setting on a per-mech basis?

#49 nubcake

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the changes.

I'm currently using a virtual joystick to emulate the following MW4-like features:
1) Full throttle, bound to Shift+W.
2) Zero throttle, Shift+S.
3) Reverse throttle, Tab.
I have noticed that zeroing your throttle before going in reverse will work way faster than just pressing Tab. Is this intended and will it be like that with new "innate" throttle controls?

Also, with new changes I will switch to the "innate" reverse throttle feature, but will I be able to somehow use modifier key (Shift) to bind 0/100% and get rid of the virtual joystick altogether?

#50 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

The "lock arms to torso" option is a pretty sad admission that the convergence system basically has done nothing against boating except encourage people to pilot a narrower range of chassis.

#51 Kiryn

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostOmid Kiarostami, on 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

[/size]

Toggling Arm Lock switches between having your arm reticle aim at the torso crosshair, and having them move around independently of each other (like it is right now). [size=4]There's no difference between using SHIFT or the options menu to toggle Arm Lock, except that SHIFT is something you can do on the fly.

I would like an option that toggles the arm lock on and off just as if you had clicked the option in the menu, but with a button. So instead of having to hold Shift down to move or lock your arms you could hit it once and either lock or unlock your arms until you wanted to reverse that action again by hitting the button again. I like the arm lock option, but having to hold shift down while trying to track a fast target in the heat of battle is just another frustration.

#52 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

Arm Lock, and Throttle Decay.

Outside of the LRM splash damage and LRM head and leg shotting, these are the two single dumbest things you've ever done PGI.

If people can't learn how to use Arms, or throttle control, they probably can't drive a car in real life anyway. Or they aren't smart enough to be able to.

Quit doing Dumb things, and start doing things people are really asking for. Like Useful BAP, and Narc, Community Warfare, State Rewind for all weapons, more maps. Refining certain mechs hard points, and other more important things, than crap no one asked for, and no one wants.

Edited by Mavairo, 21 March 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#53 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

I'll never use either option, but I'm glad they exist.

#54 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

S!

Well, I warmly welcome the analog turning. Oh boy did it make a difference, so much smoother turns and easier to keep reticule on targets when the on/off twitchiness is gone. Thanks PGI! Now just give in future some more peripheral configuration options and make the setup of joystick button binding to really work and I am a happy camper :rolleyes:

#55 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to point out that although I was informed that the new defaults would not override any of my custom binds, I did get some double binds introduced which were kind of disorienting. The only keymap that seemed to get goofed was the 1 and 3 keys on the numpad; I use these as my BattleGrid and Scoreboard respectively, so it took me a minute to figure out why everytime I checked the score I ended up crawling along the map.

Hope whatever caused the double binding can get a once over for future patches!

Thanks!

#56 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

As a Joysticker - thanks for analog turn. Just have to note that a lot of the negative feedback does not state if they are actually using peripherals such as Rudder.

Having said that - Analog turn is not all that granular. The speed of turn SEEMS pretty much the same all through the range. Certainly at the end of my Rudder pedal travel it is nowhere near as fast as the old default turn.

TL;DR Analog Rudder pedal seems slower, but smoother. - Odd. The response curve, though, seems lacking.

The user.cfg overrides for my Joystick seem to have been disabled, including my sensitivity adjustments. This is - again - an impression only. However, I had to invert the Y axis in options, rather than the user.cfg. Joystick response is slower, maybe due to being locked to the torso twist speed.

It may be caused by me now using Arm Lock as the default. And not being used to it yet

#57 DukeDublin

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

I second the idea of arm-lock being on a per-mech basis. Certain mechs I feel work with armlock (like the new Jagermech) while other mechs (like the Commando) flounder at the prospect.

Since implementing arm-lock on a per-mech basis would be impractical to design, I suggest a check box in options that toggles armlock for Shoulder-Only arms. This could be expanded upon but I'm sure that it would be easier to implement in the long run.

As general feedback on the system, smooth and working as intended.

For the throttle changes it felt strange to me. I also recommend changing the green to a deeper blue colour, colour blindness is a real thing. Amber on green is a bad combination.

#58 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Some BUG reports on this. Since the control options kicked in I lost some joystick functionality I had before:

(1) My throttle slider works fine but whenever I hit tab (to see who´s alive and whatnot) my Mech stops (throttle is set to zero as long as I hold tab). As soon as I release tab the throttle goes back to the expected value. This happens with Throttle decay turned off.

(2) My POV hat´s left and right switches stopped working. I can assign commands to them in the options menu (in my case it´s thermal and night vision) but they won´t work in game. Funnily, the up and down are working fine.

This is my joystick

Other than that, kudos for working on joystick support, keep up the good work.

And as competitiveness goes, I use this thing in my left hand to control steering and throttle (also, I get lots of weapon groups and targeting/vision/etc commands at hand) leaving my right hand free to use a mouse for torso and firing the three main weapon groups. It is as competitive as the guy controlling it (which sadly enough, it´s lame a$$ me :D )

#59 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Would just like to post to say the new controls are awesome. The throttle decay has made precision Mech control and manoeuvres so much easier and so has centre legs to torso.

#60 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

S!

I lost some earlier bindings with the implementation of new control features. Deleting actionmaps and redoing the binds working for anyone?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users