Streak Srm Damage Is Much Higher Than Expected [Test Results Inside] - Updated 2013-03-15

647 replies to this topic

#21 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

I am fine with splash damage but a maximum possible of 2.5 damage per missile spread among components, and I am fine with no splash damage and the missiles just dealing 2.5 to whatever they hit, but I am not fine with it allowing multiple times the amount of damage per missile. They are already the most efficient tonnage wise for the damage they deal.

Edited by Monky, 13 March 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#22 Vapor Trail

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

There's a possibility that missiles are tossing out seven times the damage they're supposed to?

Holy...

No wonder SRMs seem to be really popular.

I'm wondering if part of this is due to the randomness and spread of the larger launchers. Or perhaps part of what was going on with the leg-sections of mechs not taking "proper damage" from explosive weapons.

Tennex ninja'd me... but I had the thought: if something got screwed up when fixing that, perhaps it happened that each section is taking full damage from an explosion (three sections, three times the damage?) instead of the "proper" fraction of damage.

#23 Gen Kumon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostThontor, on 13 March 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

yeah.. that shouldnt happen

i'm ok with splash damage, but if a missile hits the CT and splashes to the L/R torsos, it should be like 1.5 damage to the CT and 0.5 to each side torso for a total of 2.5...

or something like that.

That's how I had assumed it worked previously, as it's the sane answer. Any damage splashed should be taken out of the primary damage dealt, period. Apparently, I assumed wrong.

#24 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

SRMs, including of course Streaks, should be point damage anyway, since they're armor piercing shaped-charge warheads. LRMs should retain splash damage, but their damage value needs to drop (I'd also like ECM not to prevent locks, just inhibit them, and LRMs should fly faster).

#25 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Great work on this if your stats and assumptions are true.

#26 Tikkamasala

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 13 March 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

*yelling about hitboxes i guess*

It's not "just" overlapping hitboxes and large splash radii. If those findings are correct than it seems the splash damage is not applied correctly as a fraction of the total missile damage but perhaps tacked onto it, e.g. fraction+total.

#27 Piranha

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Edit: multiple owned.. should have refreshed the page before posting.....

That missiles do less damage to the legs on certain Mechs is a known Bug: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1969176

but very interesting to see, that the opposite is also true, that there are situations where they do too much damage.

Edited by Piranha, 13 March 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#28 Amaris the Usurper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostReginald Rawlins, on 13 March 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Bravo. I've had a hunch that SSRMs were doing more damage than intended.

The random thing tacked on to the end about conventional SRMS doing less damage than expected seems to clash with most of the rest of your post. Can you elaborate?

The original post has been updated with additional information on this.

#29 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I bet the splash damage is what is also causing commandos to suicide in water with SRM/SSRM.

#30 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Userper, just a quick question... how are you gathering your actual damage numbers? Is there a program calculating damage numbers in Training Grounds I don't know about, are are you reverse engineering the Mechs you're attacking with armour and internal damage values, and figuring out your data that way? Very interested if I've missed something in the details, like waiting fifteen minutes to expire in the Training Grounds to get an end of session screen or something.

Thanks in advance.

#31 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Fascinating stuff, I hope the devs are paying attention. Can we get Thomas to weight in on this?

Weird, I've been playing Spiders the past few days and had the occasional feeling that Streaks were nailing me way too hard. I kept chalking it up to the natural saltyness of being killed, but maybe I was on to something.

#32 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

@ OP: good find.

bump.

#33 Kai Lae

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

To OP: Excellent work. Bravo Zulu. To the bugreportmobile batman!

#34 Amaris the Usurper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 13 March 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Userper, just a quick question... how are you gathering your actual damage numbers? Is there a program calculating damage numbers in Training Grounds I don't know about, are are you reverse engineering the Mechs you're attacking with armour and internal damage values, and figuring out your data that way? Very interested if I've missed something in the details, like waiting fifteen minutes to expire in the Training Grounds to get an end of session screen or something.

Thanks in advance.

It's explained in the Methodology section. I am using the health percentage (displayed over the targeted 'mech) to calculate the total amount of armor and structure destroyed. For example, a 'mech with 500 total armor and structure originally, now at 70% health, has lost 150 total armor and structure. The original amounts of both are common knowledge.

#35 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostThontor, on 13 March 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

yeah.. that shouldnt happen

i'm ok with splash damage, but if a missile hits the CT and splashes to the L/R torsos, it should be like 1.5 damage to the CT and 0.5 to each side torso for a total of 2.5...

or something like that.

I had thought that was the way it was working too. But there's no way. I hope we all do more testing on this and can crunch down on some vital evidence. Hopefully PGI can tell us how splash is calculated so we can confirm some numbers.

#36 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostAmaris the Usurper, on 13 March 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

It's explained in the Methodology section. I am using the health percentage (displayed over the targeted 'mech) to calculate the total amount of armor and structure destroyed. For example, a 'mech with 500 total armor and structure originally, now at 70% health, has lost 150 total armor and structure. The original amounts of both are common knowledge.

Cool beans. I need to read it again, obviously... I'm a little punchy today after a rough night last night.

Great work, btw. Something I have long been pondering over, wondering if Streaks were not due for a damage reduction based on 'feel'. Many thanks for your efforts.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 13 March 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#37 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Much more easy and reliable method to test dmg issue:

Stock JR has 8 armor on its arms. Fire 1 SRM2 (supposedly 5 dmg), 1 SL => 8 dmg. Cores the arm w/o touching the internals. Confirm dmg by using 1 ML + 1 SL on the other arm.

Result: arms cored as expected, BUT additional splash dmg to side torso and leg when using the SRM.
Edit: When using the laser, a bit of armor remains (its red and when you touch it with a SL for .1 s its gone). Could be some rounding error, minor issue.

Really appreciate your tests, Amaris. Thank you for sharing the results.

Edited by Phaesphoros, 13 March 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#38 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Correction: Streak SRM damage is much lower than expected: Its zero unless you have ECM or are willing to risk it becoming nothing more than an exploding hazard.

#39 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Question to the OP. Have you reported these findings to the dev as a bug report?

Edited by topgun505, 13 March 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#40 Gen Kumon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostSephlock, on 13 March 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Correction: Streak SRM damage is much lower than expected: Its zero unless you have ECM or are willing to risk it becoming nothing more than an exploding hazard.

Nice job ignoring the fact that this applies to SRMs and LRMs as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users