#101 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

You did not listen.
No one in the community wanted a General Discussion that ends up divided.
I will have to think hard about my time here.

#102 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'd like a General Discussion forum for everything that does not fit in one of the dozens of sub forums no one ever visits.

#103 Madkp

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Need a centralized general discussion area. Get rid of a ton of the sub forums, many are not used or are redundant. I bet a simple reversion to the forums we had a week or so ago would suffice.

#104 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

less subforums would be better, especially in GD

View PostMadkp, on 26 April 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Need a centralized general discussion area. Get rid of a ton of the sub forums, many are not used or are redundant. I bet a simple reversion to the forums we had a week or so ago would suffice.

This

#105 Panzerman03

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

So PGI is playing corrupt-a-wish with us now :\

#106 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostPanzerman03, on 26 April 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

So PGI is playing corrupt-a-wish with us now :\

no, divide and conquer

#107 Panzerman03

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I'll be honest, there is a certain amount of sense it in from their standpoint. Especially when you consider all the studies showing how reading negative material about something will influence someone's appraisal of it. I'm sure most of us have had our impressions of a game we really love colored by visiting a forum full of rage (I'll admit my impressions of D3 worsened after a few weeks of reading the forums, because I hadn't even really considered a lot of the justified complaints about the game).

That said, I think all devs could take a clue from how Blizzard's team handled the SC2 forums during HotS development. The game director dropping into a few threads a day and just saying, "good idea guys, we'll talk about it at the meeting tomorrow" or something really elevated the level of discourse there.

#108 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostPanzerman03, on 26 April 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

I'll be honest, there is a certain amount of sense it in from their standpoint. Especially when you consider all the studies showing how reading negative material about something will influence someone's appraisal of it. I'm sure most of us have had our impressions of a game we really love colored by visiting a forum full of rage (I'll admit my impressions of D3 worsened after a few weeks of reading the forums, because I hadn't even really considered a lot of the justified complaints about the game).

That said, I think all devs could take a clue from how Blizzard's team handled the SC2 forums during HotS development. The game director dropping into a few threads a day and just saying, "good idea guys, we'll talk about it at the meeting tomorrow" or something really elevated the level of discourse there.

YEAH GL with that, theyd rather just split us all up

#109 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postpjnt, on 25 April 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Why is this thread under Game Play Discussion / Polling and Suggestions? Why? Because it belongs in General Discussion. Not here. This has nothing to do with Game Play. PGI doesn't even know where to put their own posts.

I think that qualifies for a thoroughly ill thought and executed idea.Complete insanity. What the hell is going on around here?

We already know that, they fail to put the patch notes in the patch notes section.

Poor mods, stuck trying to enforce PGI's insanity while being just as lost as we are...

I'll be honest, there is a certain amount of sense it in from their standpoint. Especially when you consider all the studies showing how reading negative material about something will influence someone's appraisal of it.

When people are criticising your product you should not be thinking "how can I hide this criticism", you should be thinking "how can I address this criticism so people enjoy the game and view it in a positive light".

Edited by Jestun, 26 April 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#110 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostJestun, on 26 April 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

When people are criticising your product you should not be thinking "how can I hide this criticism", you should be thinking "how can I address this criticism so people enjoy the game and view it in a positive light".

Silly optomist. The Business world doesnt work that way

#111 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

The problem here is, they do not want our input.

As such, they should frankly just "release" the game, come hell or high water, and just run with what they have already. I can almost 100% guarantee this game won't be much different on their release date than it is now, maybe missiles will be a bit more viable, and we'll have a couple more mechs and maps, THAT IS IT.

They don't want our feedback, on the forum changes, on the game as a whole, any of it, it's pointless to even try at this point, because PGI has made it clear, THEY DON'T CARE. they're going to take this "long game" view of MWO, they're going to silence the outspoken voices, and they're going to push forward with their "Long view" Which does not address the problems we see immediately, and allows bugs to persist 9+ months into development.

I keep waiting... I really REALLY want to play with the Orion... but the more they do things like this, the more that it wants to push me away... my playtime has gone up this week, And my habits ingame have changed to reflect the current meta. [I'm piloting a jump sniping cat... and I feel dirty for doing it.] But I keep finding myself less invested, I've been on a steady gameplay decline with this game for the past 2 months... because of bonehead decisions in regards to game design... the last 2 patches have caused more hud issues [Loss of Minimap, loss of damage registering on my paper doll, freezing of compass assets, loss of IFF, minimap useable but "direction" indication frozen, WWWWW bug...] than I've experienced in the entire time I've been involved with both Closed AND open beta...

I understand game design is hard... but PGI, you guys have got to step up your game. When there are other, less supported F2P titles that are giving weekly updates and fixing issues in Hotfixes faster than you, you're GOING to loose players. Ontop of censoring your general discussion forum and dividing it into sub-forums. which does nothing but complicate getting your point across to the average user.

#112 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Since another set of changes have been applied, and a poll has gone up to discuss future changes I'd like to restate my suggestions.

Stop ignoring the fact that the number one complaint about the restructure was the removal of general discussion, followed by the addition of so many sub-forums.

Half of the referendum for new changes consists of asking if we want even more sub forums?! And no mention in the referendum of general discussion.

I can assure you, that is not what I want. With that attitude you might as well reach through my monitor and slap me across the face.

Edited by Jestun, 27 April 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#113 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostJestun, on 27 April 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Since another set of changes have been applied, and a poll has gone up to discuss future changes I'd like to restate my suggestions.

Stop ignoring the fact that the number one complaint about the restructure was the removal of general discussion, followed by the addition of so many sub-forums.

Half of the referendum for new changes consists of asking if we want even more sub forums?! And no mention in the referendum of general discussion.

I can assure you, that is not what I want. With that attitude you might as well reach through my monitor and slap me across the face.

STOP IGNORING THE FACT THAT THE NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT ABOUT THE CHANGE IS ABOUT THE CONSTANT WHINING ABOUT THE LOSS OF GENERAL DISCUSSION.
points for actually posting in a relevant place.

and now some knowledge from a wise man i have met on these forums:

View PostRoadbeer, on 27 April 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Lulz to the people who think they're providing feedback about a FORUM.

If you were truly a tester, you'd appreciate the new structure because you can put your feedback in the appropriate place without it getting drown out with 50 posts about how PGI ate their baby, and it's not beta because I paid $1.20 for some cool shot and a paint job...

We really need a roll eye emote that conveys contempt and isn't smiling.

Edited by blinkin, 27 April 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#114 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

View Postblinkin, on 27 April 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

STOP IGNORING THE FACT THAT THE NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT ABOUT THE CHANGE IS ABOUT THE CONSTANT WHINING ABOUT THE LOSS OF GENERAL DISCUSSION.

Can you provide a source for this?

I can link you to any of the threads which haven't been deleted showing the volume of complaints about the lack of general, I'd love to see what you base your claim that the number one complaint was actually that people were giving feedback on the changes (or as you put it "whining") on.

Edited by Jestun, 28 April 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#115 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostJestun, on 28 April 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

Can you provide a source for this?

I can link you to any of the threads which haven't been deleted showing the volume of complaints about the lack of general, I'd love to see what you base your claim that the number one complaint was actually that people were giving feedback on the changes (or as you put it "whining") on.

AI love how Blinkin is trolling in counterpoint, while continuing to call it "whining" and "crying" and trying to show how the community is in the wrong for trolling and "whining" etc

#116 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

Blinkin, nothing you have said or can say will invalidate the call for an official poll that asks us if we want our 'general forum' back. You are free to vote no should such a poll miraculously appear.

EDIT: Blinkin, by all means attempt a counter argument but I warn you, I will respond to destroy it and show how foolish you are in attempting it.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 28 April 2013 - 02:31 AM.

#117 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

IF the powers that be, for whatever reason I can't phantom, don't bring back 'General Discussion'.
At least lose the many subforums for goodness sake.
Seriously, if you can screw up even a simple forum site, I shudder to think how you're gonna handle 'Community Warfare'.

Edited by Delas Ting Usee, 28 April 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#118 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 28 April 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Blinkin, nothing you have said or can say will invalidate the call for an official poll that asks us if we want our 'general forum' back. You are free to vote no should such a poll miraculously appear.

EDIT: Blinkin, by all means attempt a counter argument but I warn you, I will respond to destroy it and show how foolish you are in attempting it.

i really don't care if the majority want general discussion back. as stated before this has been split up into 88 subforums. explain to me how we can fit 88 front pages onto 1 <-math says your idea is stupid. 50% of the U.S. population says evolution isn't true, BUT 99% of scientists say it is. having an angry mob backing you doesn't mean your idea is anything like smart.

first and foremost these forums are meant for feedback to the developers. if all of the feedback is crammed into one **** pile the developers will have a hard time finding anything useful. so we can take a couple seconds and read through real quick to see where our complaints should go. being able to socialize is a convenient side effect of the forums NOT THE PRIMARY PURPOSE.

and here is a relevant quote from Roadbeer on the subject:

View PostRoadbeer, on 27 April 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Lulz to the people who think they're providing feedback about a FORUM.

If you were truly a tester, you'd appreciate the new structure because you can put your feedback in the appropriate place without it getting drown out with 50 posts about how PGI ate their baby, and it's not beta because I paid $1.20 for some cool shot and a paint job...

We really need a roll eye emote that conveys contempt and isn't smiling.

tear away.

#119 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for responding blinkin.

View Postblinkin, on 28 April 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

i really don't care if the majority want general discussion back. as stated before this has been split up into 88 subforums. explain to me how we can fit 88 front pages onto 1 <-math says your idea is stupid. 50% of the U.S. population says evolution isn't true, BUT 99% of scientists say it is. having an angry mob backing you doesn't mean your idea is anything like smart.

first and foremost these forums are meant for feedback to the developers. if all of the feedback is crammed into one **** pile the developers will have a hard time finding anything useful. so we can take a couple seconds and read through real quick to see where our complaints should go. being able to socialize is a convenient side effect of the forums NOT THE PRIMARY PURPOSE.

and here is a relevant quote from Roadbeer on the subject:

tear away.

Well, to my mind forums are a lot more than just a medium through which developers can get feed back. It has been shown countless times that what really increase the life span of an online game is the community about it. I see a general forums as a place to do that. Further, general forums are a place where we can articulate more thought out posts that do not really fit the provided categories.

For example, say I wanted to discuss something such as "Is MWO more an arcade game than a Sim?", well so many elements of the game would be touched upon that it is near impossible to pigeon hole said thread when it is general in its scope. Another example would be if I wanted to discuss say, whether x hero mech or x consumable or x game system (that is when they are released), pushes us more towards 'pay for an advantage'.

What if I wanted to reference each of those elements into that one discussion? Yes, I could post multiple threads in each sub-forum for each feature discussed, but then the 'points or reasons' of the argument/thought made, would be so fragmented. I would also run the risk of being accused of cross posting!

Yeah, you could say a lot of these examples have been discussed before but that is the thing, the game is still being developed and new developments mean these discussions change and become relevant again. I think a lot those who cry 'its been discussed before noob' are being a little disingenuous.

It is funny you should mention Roadbeer. I like his posts a lot and he does a good job of cutting through the BS.

#120 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Oh! I should add that on the community development thing, the commercial entity benefiting HAS to host and be active in developing the community i.e. giving it the spaces off its own servers that community members want, otherwise it runs the risk of being seen as a 'leech'. By this I mean altruistic acts and not "oh but we made this game" as an example of contribution to said community.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 28 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

45 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users