- - - - -

Hotfix March 21/2013 - Missile Fix And Server Downtime

673 replies to this topic

#661 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I remember during the LRMpocalypse I was OHK'd by a single LRM volley in my dragon (this happen many times, but I am recalling one instance in particular) and I typed into chat "Wtf was that? What a bunch of ********," and some ******* said back "Its easy to dodge LRMs, just use cover." Actually, predictably, it had far more grammatical and typographic errors, but whatever. We now know that it wasn't easy to dodge them (because if a quarter of the volley hit you, it was often good for an ammo explosion or a limb), and that they were overpowered as ****.

That person is posting in this topic. There are actually several such people that fell on the "USE COVER" / "LRN2PLAY N00B" crutch to explain away this insane balance failure that caused them to temporarily rocket to the highest echelon of play. Well, I don't mind saying that they are totally full of ****, and I would trust them on balance as much as I would trust my dog with a cheese platter from the local deli.

#662 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

At no time that they weren't hotfixed did LRMs, even closely, do anything in the competitive games. I guess L2Cover is pretty true there huh?

I mean it says, "MISSILE INCOMING" does it need, "GET TO COVER" too?

#663 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

View Post30ft SMURF, on 25 April 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Still waiting to hear any determinations about lrms being fixed. Its been a month now and we were told this was temporary, but lrms are still useless. I've been using lrms since weapon tracking started and we can now see the accuracy we have with each weapon type. Can you guess what my lrm accuracy is? I hit roughly 90% of my laser fire... I hit between 50-60% with all ballistic weapons... My ssrms are kinda good at just under 80%... Even my srms are close to the ballistics... but this uber noob weapon that only exists to give people who can't aim a roll in the game is at an all time high of 30-35% depending on lrm20's, 15's, 10's and 5's... So on average only 35% of the roughly 1000 missiles I carry in my founders catapult actually hit an enemy. Sure... terrain, ecm, buildings, speed and losing target lock all play into if lrms actually do any damage, but considering all of the options to avoid taking damage from lrms (ams systems! FTLOP) are there any benefits to using this weapon system anymore? Not at the moment. At best you might influence a pilot to use any number of the multitude of options they have to render your weapons useless, but you still aren't going to do any damage. I ran a founders catapult with 2 lrm 20's w/artemis, 2 large lasers, tag and roughly 8 tons of ammo. I'm lucky to do 2-300dmg in a round. In order to make sure missiles hit targets I generally have to hide untill I can hit them directly with the tag and all weapons systems. This means i have to keep a weapons lock on an enemy who will likely look at me shortly after they notice I'm not just shooting lrms and take tons of direct fire in order to put my 2 large lasers and 2 lrm 20s on target. The only way a support mech like this does any damage or 'helps' their team is if somehow they are lucky enough to stay in LOS of the enemy nearly the entire match and never get shot at because their team is so good that they either draw fire or put the enemy down before they have time to waste on a mech that is wasting nearly 40 tons of space on a weapon system that doesn't do jack. Turns out two large lasers can do a good bit of damage over the course of 10min or so, but you can't take a shot to the ct in a founders cat... You'll get shot in the face instead. Turns out you need a freaking miracle to stay alive that long in a founders catapult. Prior to the 'fix' you put 2 lrm 20s and 2 large lasers into someone and they started looking for cover... now they stand still and aim for your face. Not only have you rendered a weapon system useless, you've also rendered an entire line of mechs useless and worse a founders mech at that. I guarantee that as much as I enjoy using lasers and ballistics it won't be enough to keep me playing this game if I don't also have the option of using missiles as a viable weapon system. This is the one area of the game that has most frequently made me consider not playing/testing this game any further and is the one area that if left unresolved/f'd up like it is now will stop me from spending further money. As is it feels like I've gotten a bad return on what I've already invested. Guess I should avoid spending any further coin around here till you demonstratably address this concern. I'll be disregarding any further sales/advertisements from this game company untill weapon balance is not just mentioned as a priority, but is something that is actually implemented in the game I'd say more, but real life calls... better than dealin' with this atm.

Wow ... block of text. Punctuation and Paragraphs are your friend.

#664 Kellea

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

when will the hotfix that by your own admission overcompensated (and thus nerfed lrm) be hotfixed?

#665 Airborne Thunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFiddler's Green

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

:)

Edited by Airborne Thunder, 24 May 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#666 Wiggen

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

For all the carping about splash damage and overall damage, I don't think they are the reasons that SRMs specifically are not combat viable right now. I was in a raven with one SRM 6 launcher, and had a trebuchet overheat about 75m in front of me. I clicked fire only to see the missiles scatter in such an absurdly random pattern that only 1 of 6 hit. The other 5 I watched peacefully fly off into the horizon. If I can't aim at center mass of a mech, albeit a small one, stationary, at 75m and not get at least 4 positive strikes, what good is that weapon to me?

#667 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Anyone else notice that the bug with splash damage only damaging your F-CT has not been fixed. Its very obvious in Mediums. All the damage from SSRMs and LRMs go to the FCT.

#668 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

PGI pretends its not true, but they also have SHS equipped mechs, so I usually take what they say with a grain of salt.

#669 JeremyCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Wall of text... no one will read your post man,

#670 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Dartangen,
Please reformat your post into paragraphs and capitalise your sentences. My eyes hurt just looking at it, let alone trying to read it.

#671 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostDeath Dealer 199, on 21 March 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

So what you did was take a wepon that uesd to be able to do 17 point of damage (lrm 15) and nerf it to 10.5. This will totally break this wepons system. Why even carry a LMR. Spit balls now do more damage.

Wait, lets get this straight, you wanted an weapon that does near double the damage of an AC10, aims the damage for you and follows the target as long as he is in your sights, takes up half the space and does a lil more DPS. Please name the 'spitball you will switch to because, as much as I used them while they were about, they WERE the weapon type that decided whether a match was won or lost.

#672 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostLostsoul, on 21 April 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

I would like to give my viewpoints on LRMs and the problems i have with this great damage reduction to them. But first lets compare the LRM to other top end weapons of ballistics and energy. Posted Image
According to Smurfy, this graph is incorrect. Dunno who's right but seeing as all my builds are based in Smurfy's app I'm going to use his stats listed below. Latest update dated 4th of June. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Posted Image

Here, the LRM 20 has the highest DPS (I'm presuming because the graph you made doesn't account for splash) bar the AC20, but has 4 times the range of it, takes up half the slots and is 20% more heat efficient for 10% less damage, meaning it's much easier to put two on your mech. It also needs less heatsinks to cool, so by the time you've cooled your AC/20, you'll find that you're using a huge amount more space and weight for the same damage, and still losing out on range. And that's before you start thinking about the fact that you get 2 less shots per ton of AC20 ammo.

On the other hand the gauss has a large heat advantage meaning fitting and negating it's heat completely only needs 13 tons of space, but at 7 slots there's very few mechs that can fit two whereas there are many many mechs that can fit two LRM20s or at least 15s, and even LRM 15s can do more sustained damage (dps) than Gauss.

If you want to play spreadsheet warrior, you'll find that the spreadsheet says you're vastly OP, but it's playing that tells you if that's true or not. The reality of the fact is I'm fine with LRMS being lightly OP because that's their nature.

There's been a similar problem in a space game called Eve which I play. People claim Missile battleships shouldn't do so much damage but forget that missiles take much much longer to apply that damage because of travel time giving you time to bail out or at least take cover.

Okay, what is with this website and destroying all of my formatting?

Edited by Gen0, 18 June 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#673 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 21 March 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

TEMPORARY

3 months and counting.

#674 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts