Build A Trial Mech - Heavy Edition Poll!

187 replies to this topic

Poll: Stuff! (1959 member(s) have cast votes)

asdasd

1. CPLT-A1 - Darth Mech (64 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

2. CPLT-C1 - Yami Keros (65 votes [3.32%])

Percentage of vote: 3.32%

3. CPLT-C4 - Cygolinos (53 votes [2.71%])

Percentage of vote: 2.71%

4. CPLT-K2 - DoctorVishnevski (84 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

5. DRG-1C - Thragen (186 votes [9.49%])

Percentage of vote: 9.49%

6. DRN-1N - Sigmund Floyd (79 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

7. DRG-5N - Phorashi (587 votes [29.96%])

Percentage of vote: 29.96%

8. CTF-1X - Omigir (58 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

9. CTF-2X - Apostal (65 votes [3.32%])

Percentage of vote: 3.32%

10. CTF-3D - Aginato (154 votes [7.86%])

Percentage of vote: 7.86%

11. CTF-4X - Selfish (564 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

Vote

#61 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostPhorashi, on 22 March 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Also! If my build wins, I will pilot it exclusively for the month that it is a trial mech!

voted for ya. I normally run 4 tons of ammo on that build.

But yours was the only one even close to resembling a decent build (though it is a dragon).

#62 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostJyi, on 22 March 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

I am so bored of this attitude. Anything that doesn't have Gauss or PPC's in it is now "average, could've done better myself". I think this 4X is the best build on the list, hands down. I'm so bored of all the love for all the boring weapons. Either we have trolls with their boats or wannabe sophisticates with their snipers.

AC10's are probably the most underused weapon for no good reason. I've done similar builds with doubleAC10's for the 4X, but I never managed to fit STD engine. Not to mention this single mech taps into all of the weapon groups, uses up the slots and weight efficiently and has good range distribution and survivability. Yet, it's simple enough for a newbie to understand. And truthfully, you don't need to follow an Atlas around with this mech. You can go toe-to-toe with a brawler and do good. You can slug some AC10 rounds from range before you close up and do even better.

Currently I'm doing a JM-6S with doubleAC10's and 4 ml with XL280 (can't figure a way to fit STD without compromising the nice dmg output). It's nice as it is, though weak from behind and XL is kinda funky in a JM.. but cba to crawl around with crappy heat efficiency or lose firepower.

I rarely do this, but in your case..., L2Read.

#63 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Close call between the Catapult C1 for its nice mix of weapon ranges, or the Cataphrat 4X. Ended up voting for the 4X because of its standard engine and enhanced survivability. (Didn't hurt that I've interacted with Selfish before on the battlefield.)

Wished my Dragon made the cut, but people would have ragged on it anyway for its LBXAC10. Great choices and they look like great mech designs all around.

Edited by Tesunie, 22 March 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#64 MoridinXP

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

K2 build should have been one of the ones sporting dual Ultra AC5's + 4 x ML's. Better fire rate and still has good range and heat dissipation. /shrug

#65 Suzano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

voted for aginato...but wouldnt buy any of these builds for me, because the are not good enough/ are to risky to drive...

#66 GearBoxClock

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm really not digging the leading Cataphract. Dual AC/10s/Medium Lasers and a single SRM4 really isn't a very good loadout, IMHO.

#67 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

O.o mine made it... I'm gob smacked, and now out the door for the weekend... was a surprise xD

#68 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I chose the Catapult A1 Paul chose. Why? Because it's very similar to a A1 build I submitted and I would very much like to see some non-splatcat A1's in a match more often.

#69 D34K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 304 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Oh my God, these builds are beyond terrible! I feel bad for new players who will get a very rough onboarding experience of MWO. What on earth are you all thinking?

You should have gotten competition builds from the teams from RHoD or the Proxis league. At least they would be somewhat optimised. There's a bunch of builds here that have 3-4 weapons of different and completely uncomplimentary ranges. First, that's awful; second, that's a whole stack of extra complexity a new player doesn't need.

Well done everyone, this is exactly the opposite of what you should have done.

Edited by D34K, 22 March 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#70 Phorashi

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostD34K, on 22 March 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Oh my God, these builds are beyond terrible! I feel bad for new players who will get a very rough onboarding experience of MWO. What on earth are you all thinking?

You should have gotten competition builds from the teams from RHoD or the Proxis league. At least they would be somewhat optimised. There's a bunch of builds here that have 3-4 weapons of different and completely uncomplimentary ranges. First, that's awful; second, that's a whole stack of extra complexity a new player doesn't need.

Do you even understand what is trying to be done with these trial mechs? They don't want to hand newbies the keys to hugely optimized builds. They want the newbies to have to learn to manage heat, ammo, and spacial awareness while HAVING FUN. Read the last two words in the previous sentence again. If new players don't have fun, they aren't going to keep playing.

If they're too slow to make it to the fight, their mech runs too hot for them to manage, or they have to deal with min/max range issues and ammo conservation they aren't going to have as much fun as they would if they could **** a million rounds down range and not have to worry about heat.

That's what I went into my build thinking, It also has enough armor on the back to survive getting it's butt touched, but they will have to turn around to address the issue, and 2 x LLas and a gauss will cut the legs off of any light.

You're also overlooking the fact that the stock builds used currently are absolutely horrible for new players, with few exceptions (The HBK-4SP leaps to mind). This is, at the very least, a HUGE step in the right direction. I'm sorry that the choices aren't splatcats. gauss cats, poptarting CTF-3D snipers, and boomcats.

#71 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Gotta, say, I'm not the biggest CTF-3D fan, but Aginato's build just looks fun.

#72 Skyscream Sapphire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

After some tough consideration, I ended up with the CTF-4X - Selfish.

I like this mech because it introduces new players to a build where they can have a 20 damage pinpoint alpha on one weapon group on the arms, 10 more damage from mediums on another, and 10 more from the missiles (well, not 10 as of the hotfix last night, but...something like it lol). I really like that the latter two are on the center line, allowing them to still do zombie damage after the players inevitably get their torsos shot off when wandering headfirst into the entire enemy team with typical newbie abandon. This sounds like a lot more fun for a new player than immediately dying, but will still punish them (hey, where'd my 20 alpha go?) enough to discourage the behavior next round.

But mostly I hope this wins because I now plan to shoot the right arms off any Cataphract-4X that shows this load out so I can set off massive ammo explosions on newbies *Evil Cackle* >: D

#73 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostD34K, on 22 March 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

View PostPhorashi, on 22 March 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Do you even understand what is trying to be done with these trial mechs? They don't want to hand newbies the keys to hugely optimized builds. They want the newbies to have to learn to manage heat, ammo, and spacial awareness while HAVING FUN. Read the last two words in the previous sentence again. If new players don't have fun, they aren't going to keep playing.

If they're too slow to make it to the fight, their mech runs too hot for them to manage, or they have to deal with min/max range issues and ammo conservation they aren't going to have as much fun as they would if they could **** a million rounds down range and not have to worry about heat.

That's what I went into my build thinking, It also has enough armor on the back to survive getting it's butt touched, but they will have to turn around to address the issue, and 2 x LLas and a gauss will cut the legs off of any light.

You're also overlooking the fact that the stock builds used currently are absolutely horrible for new players, with few exceptions (The HBK-4SP leaps to mind). This is, at the very least, a HUGE step in the right direction. I'm sorry that the choices aren't splatcats. gauss cats, poptarting CTF-3D snipers, and boomcats.

There is a middle ground to be had here. Not all builds have to be pro-competitive, and not all builds should be made "for fun".

There are supposed to be "solid builds" that a newbie AND vet can use, w/o requiring people to complain how much it is min/maxed to death.

There is an art to building mechs. The issue is that there are "rules of thumb" while designing them. The problem with the the majority of options presented, is that they may be useful for the player that built it, which isn't the case the majority. If the fundamentals were improved on how you build your mech, you can easily design fun, usable, productive, efficient and decent mechs on the field that other people may want to use. Heck, you will often be more productive on the field! That's how important building a mech is to me, as it should for you.

The majority of the builds simply don't follow good building rules. That's the real gripe. Why handicap the newbies further?

Edited by Deathlike, 22 March 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#74 Phorashi

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Oh man, I just noticed I messed up on my submission in the previous thread, there's supposed to be a ton of gauss ammo in the head also, per the mechromancer link.

#75 Darth Mech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostPhorashi, on 22 March 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Also! If my build wins, I will pilot it exclusively for the month that it is a trial mech!

Same here!!

#76 Bigchunk1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 480 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL USA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

It's all about Thragen's Dragon.

#77 Darth Mech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 21 March 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Catapult Builds
CPLT-A1 – Paul Inouye: “Darth Mech's build is a well balanced version of the A1 which takes a creative look at expanding it's role from a long range LRM Mech to a more rounded support Mech.

Thank you for the nod, Paul.

I simply thought this would be good for those who are poor shots with lasers or direct fire weapons or have serious lag or frame rate issues with their personal gaming devices. Three weapon groups are by no means that difficult to learn and there are plenty of cheap mice with more than two buttons to keep your mouse hand off the keyboard. Keeping structure, armor and heat sinks at standard helps the newbie manage their 'Mech without giving too much power outright. We want the newbie to stick around, guys. Mine and other builds will allow them to experience the game with a strong, sturdy 'Mech that won't frustrate them into uninstalling MW:O.

FYI - I just realized the text in the link for my build, I typed "2LRM10, 2SRM6, 2SSRM2, with 2 tons of ammo for LRM and SRM and one ton SSRM." Just to clarify, it is 2SRM4, not SRM6. The load out spec and the smurfy are correct.

Edited by Darth Mech, 22 March 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#78 Darth Mech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostFupDup, on 21 March 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

This poll is missing Splatapult and Boomcat. I am disappoint.

Your disappointed because the new players won't have an OP 'Mech? Versatility on the battlefield vs. only upclose confrontation? Your team will appreciate you more when helping in all areas of the battlefied, not just waiting around for that perfect shot or the sneak attack alpha.

#79 Darth Mech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostDryer Lint, on 21 March 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

New players can't use three different weapon group effectively.

That's a very broad generalization. New players to MW:O may not be new players to the MMO genre and be extremely capable of handling multiple weapon groups.

#80 ExMachina0076

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Quote:
"Do you even understand what is trying to be done with these trial mechs? They don't want to hand newbies the keys to hugely optimized builds. They want the newbies to have to learn to manage heat, ammo, and spacial awareness while HAVING FUN. Read the last two words in the previous sentence again. If new players don't have fun, they aren't going to keep playing."

Honestly, Phorashi, your comments are not very insightful. New players are more likely to be too frustrated if they are only tossed into the deep end from the start. What is so fun about losing? Optimized Trial Mechs are a much greater ideas as it gives the player some good examples for when they make thier own builds later on --- AKA, Trial Mechs are better suited for the beginner while custom mechs are better for experienced players. So I would say give the players optimized, yet EASY builds to start then let them find their specialty later on when the exp/$$$ comes.

Edited by ExMachina0076, 22 March 2013 - 03:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users