[Suggestion] Mc Pricing

114 replies to this topic

Poll: [Suggestion] Mc Pricing (437 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you currently satisfied with MC pricing?

1. Yes (43 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

2. No (376 votes [86.04%])

Percentage of vote: 86.04%

3. Abstain (18 votes [4.12%])

Percentage of vote: 4.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

People say the prices are too high
some have spent hundreds and some have spent -60$
they want the game to succeed and know the prices are wrong

but its never going to stop
so pgi looks at their profits and sees $$$ even while the prices are high but because customers are buying , they are supplying at that MC price

The BT fans are what pgi relies on for money i would think
older aged men who love a franchise with money to spend

Mech's and maps(and some turrets/mobile base?) being the only 'ingame' content has been a good strategy for them because they are familar with it and each mech is a nostalgic piece of the BT universe

example would be them putting the madcat at such a high price point when first revealed
Just how many people spent money based on concept art and a iconic mech you say?

no offence to any BT guys , i also enjoys it :huh:

Edited by kesuga7, 21 February 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#102 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

I'm not happy about it and I've only spent any money on some mech bays because they're somewhat reasonably priced, but I don't see it changing any time soon so I don't bother complaining about it much anymore.

#103 WithSilentWings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Legendary founder here.

Basically, there is no way I would put another cent into this game and it is almost entirely because of the cost of MC or the MC cost of items.

250MC = $1 (if you buy $100 at a time, which most users will not).

I am not a cheap person, AND I am a huge fan of Mechwarrior and was a major follower of MWO until I felt alienated mostly by this issue. The fact that I dropped $120 along with a few big fans from the beginning is a testament to my willingness to spend much more than an average person would on this game.

If my initial $120 went much further than it did, I would probably continue to play frequently and likely would have already spent more money. I feel pretty confidently that they have already missed out on making a sale to me because of their prices. This is wrong. In a free to play game you don't want someone to spend a large sum ($120) and never purchase again... You want the big fans to buy in reasonably $50-100) and keep coming back for more. You want to convince people who have never made a purchase to jump in for $10, feel comfortable with what they received and become REPEAT CUSTOMERS, $10 here and there every few months.

Off the top of my head (obviously with room for tweaking) I think things should be along these lines:

Mech Bay = $1
Light Variant = $2
Medium Variant = $4
Heavy Variant = $6
Assault Variant = $8
"Hero Mech" maybe double price vs regular at most
New Camo Pattern = $1. Give them away for free at events frequently.
All colours = free (wtf charging for colours? will never buy a colour, sorry.)
Consumables should cost at most like 25 cents per game to max everything.

Also, I think c-bill prices should drop significantly in many cases OR c-bill rewards per match should be increased.

Consider the nature of this game. People who are into this genre WANT TO OWN EVERYTHING. They want to CUSTOMIZE everything. If there's a new mech out every month and it's affordable, you damn well bet tonnes of people will want it and buy it.

Even given this price model (which is ludicrously unfathomably cheaper than MWO's current model) it would cost you tonnes of money to own all the content. Let's do the math.

Cost of Mechs assuming every chassis has 3 variants (pretty average?)
6 light chassis = 18 variants = $36
9 medium chassis = 27 variants = $108
7 heavy chassis = 21 variants = $126
7 assault chassis = 21 variants = $168
ALL CURRENT STANDARD MECHS = $438

Add cost of Camo pattern, assume 3 per variant = $261
Add cost of Mech Bays required to own one of each mech = $87

NOTE THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE AS MANY OF THE SAME VARIANT AS YOU LIKE, so making them cheaper will have an effect of convincing people to buy two or three of the same variant every once in a while for convenience and to save different builds.

In the end not even counting Hero or Champion mechs the total would STILL cost you $786 just to own the content based on my ludicrously inexpensive (is it?) numbers.

Imagine in two years from now when there are twice the number of mechs available. Continuing players will keep wanting to buy the new content but new players will have the back catalog to view--how will they feel when they see 250+ variants that will EACH cost $8-30 in real money? What a joke.

#104 Voodoomancer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

My 2c: Hero mech pricing is fair, customization is *way* too expensive, we need to be able to buy engines for MC.

Yes, the Hero mechs are relatively expensive, but there are sales if you are willing to wait and not willing to pay full price.

However, part of the appeal of MWO is the meta - customizing your 'mechs to your tastes and play style. If it costs 500-1500 MC just to change the colors on one 'mech then it's very hard to justify when you can pick up a (non-Hero) 'mech for 2000-3000, and once you have settled on a color then you can't change it on a whim ("Oh man, that skeleton scheme is *awesome*. I wish I could afford it"...). At 200-300 for a full color change I think you'd see a lot more people skinning a lot more 'mechs a lot more often, and the net spend would increase.

Finally, I wish we could buy engines for MC! If you don't have tons of time to play then you can end up spending most of your c-bills on Endo/DHS and weapons, which leaves absolutely no c-bills left for XL engines. I spend a lot of time moving my few XL engines around to the 'mechs I want to play; I would love to be able to experiment more with trading weapon loads for bigger weapons, but I can never justify the cost of an engine against 2 full DHS/Endo upgrades.

#105 Oswin Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 808 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWhitmore Lake, MI

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

TL;DR: the way MC is set up at present is needlessly complex and seems dangerously close to X-Box Live's "Microsoft Points" that got them sued 4 years ago, AND WE AREN'T HAPPY WITH IT.

As a long time player (and financial supporter, so I can make myself feel better about all the skins I've bought) of League of Legends, the MC pricing in MWO is entirely bogus. Here are some of my problems with it:

Currently, MC is not worth a static amount of real-world currency. The "real-world price" of MC is entirely dependent on which MC package you purchase the points with. This means that ANYONE not willing or able to drop $100 for the most efficient MC package isn't getting their money's worth.

MC - Real-World Currency Table
  • $100, 25,000 MC $1.00 = 250 MC, 100% efficiency
  • $50, 12,000 MC $1.00 = 240 MC, 96% efficiency
  • $30, 6,500 MC $1.00 = 216 MC, 86.4% efficiency
  • $15, 3,000 MC $1.00 = 200 MC, 80% efficiency
  • $7, 1,250 MC $1.00 = 178 MC, 71.2% efficiency
MC has no set real-world value. The more money you can afford to spend, the more you can get. If you can only afford to purchase the lowest tier of MC for whatever reason, your MC is literally more expensive.

The Jester and Firebrand are fairly popular Hero mechs from what I've seen from my matches, so I applied this table to the act of purchasing either of them, price at 4,875 MC. First let's look at how much the mech is worth based on the above table:
  • $19.50
  • $20.31
  • $22.57
  • $24.38
  • $27.39
Unfortunately, because MC is only offered in set amounts, you would have to purchase:

-1 $30 package (6500 MC, 1625 leftover) $30
-2 $15 packages (6000 MC, 1125 leftover) $30
-1 $15 package, 2 $7 packages (5500 MC, 625 leftover) $29
-4 $7 packages (5000 MC, 125 leftover) $28

At each of these options, it's very clear that unless you're shelling out $30 (or more) to get MC, you're wasting loads of money. The amount of MC you get decreases exponentially the lower you go in MWO's offered MC packages.

What else would you be able to buy with your leftover MC, assuming you went with the $30 option?
  • A light champion mech, or any standard mech up to a Trebuchet (excluding upgrade-default chassis).
  • Two 750 MC cockpit items or six 250 MC ones.
  • Two Camo pattern unlocks or one 1,000 MC paint unlock and one 500 MC one.
  • A ton of one-use paint colors and patterns
So what's the problem? The problem is that we are being forced to pay for MC that we don't explicitly want or need. A Jester or Firebrand, while theoretically only costing a player $19.50, forces that player to first spend $100. Any player that is unable to purchase more than $15 or $7 bundles is being actively screwed over by this system. Mechwarrior Online is not asking, but telling us that we have to spend as much money on their game as if it were a full-fledged primary hobby if we want to drive that new hero mech that came out.

Realistically, a Jester or Firebrand costs $30, along with a bunch of little stuff that no one wants to be forced to pay for.

HEAVY METAL, LA MALINCHE, and THE BOAR'S HEAD hilariously force players to purchase another package (or a single higher one) since they are between 6,750 and 7,500 MC (Heavy Metal taking the cake for financial dickery by being priced at just 250 MC more than you get from a $30 package).

It's 4am and this probably isn't too organized, but the point I'm trying to make is that MC isn't fair. I want real-world prices for everything in the store, not some bullshit Microsoft Point-esque thievery.

A few minor points are things like:
  • Most paint colors and patterns are entirely locked out to non-paying customers. There are VERY limited color options that are available for millions of C-Bills, and no patterns available for C-Bills. Customizing your mechs' appearances is one of the main facets of the Mechwarrior universe and MWO has decided that only paying customers are allowed to do so.
  • All cockpit items are for paying customers only. Cockpit items are a minor enough cosmetic detail that there should be at least SOME options available through C-Bills.
  • Hero mech prices are ridiculously exorbitant. If I want to own multiple Hero mechs, I'm looking at spending much, much more than an entirely new video game.

Edited by oswin aurelius, 15 April 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#106 Esperax

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

We need a new developer, hopefully someone with more truth to their words and some common sense

#107 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

These free to play games are making developers tons more cash than the pay to own games. I would rather pay $120 up front for good content, 10 starter mechs and ability to change colors. No I can not justify paying $15 to paint my mech my team colors, I would pay $1.50. I would pay $5.00 tops for additional mech's, hero mechs should be $15 ~ $20 to help keep them rarer. Some folks say it only cost you weekend beer money to keep up with games but in reality its a small fortune. Considering the need for a killer internet connection $65a month, $15 paint job per mech for total immersion, $30 mech's to grow my collection, $150 cornchips and salsa a week for gaming survival and $2000 pr year pc upgrades this little hobby adds up and I do not like being robbed and gouged by a developer.

No thanks I'll grind my way up the tree of life and purchase mech bays while that weekend beer money goes towards putting over priced innefficient solar panels on my roof tops. Remember the days when $20 got you a game with 20 hrs of quality SP content and now its $65 for 4 hours of buggy sp and mp that cost a ton more for low quality MP DLC.

#108 Victor Steiner Fred Dref Davion

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

I am a twelve year old and all I want to do is play mwo! I LOVE this game and would spend ALL my money for this game! I love mechs and I wanted to find a feasible mech-warfare game. I saw an ad for you guys and immediately bugged my dad to download it. Finding that it was free was AWESOME but seemed sketchy at the same time (because of the promised graphics and gameplay). This game is great other than the mc and c-bill chaos! I would ask that you do something about this growing problem. I would hate to leave this game but its hard to have max fun when you can't feel good about your money. Please, at least make everything c-bill accessible or lower mc prices it would make my day and you could expect a guaranteed costumer.

From,

a dwindling fan
Fred Dref :ph34r:

#109 BloodLegacy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOregon City, OR

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

If PGI dropped all of their cash/MC prices, you would easily triple your actual sales. I would buy more if I didn't feel like I was getting robbed doing so.

#110 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

They've got to make money somehow. Just wait for the next 50% off sale to get the Hero you want. :)

#111 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostSable Dove, on 26 March 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Only thing that's fairly priced are mech bays

Agreed. Premium time needs use changes, mechs and hero mechs are just obscene.

View PostBloodLegacy, on 14 June 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

If PGI dropped all of their cash/MC prices, you would easily triple your actual sales. I would buy more if I didn't feel like I was getting robbed doing so.

This

Edited by Burktross, 15 October 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#112 Koda Shy

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationTriPoint-Kapenja

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

i do think if cosmetic and cockpit item were cheaper more would give into them, a lot of us that do pay have a lot of mechs to trick out....and it adds up

Edited by Koda Shy, 15 October 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#113 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:19 AM

Wait for a sale guys. you can even be really patient and wait for a 50% sale.

Wait for a sale guys. you can even be really patient and wait for a 50% sale.

#114 OldManRae_IS

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

I have been playing for 4 months now. The MC costs in many cases are way to high.

Colors should cost 500 for an unlock.

Camo dhould be 1000 for Class unlock or 2000 for Universal Unlock.

Decals should be added for 100 mc per mech chassis unlock

This is even more important if PGI is going to be on Steam. Large exposure but a very frugal community.

The other problem I see is that many F2P games have some form of grind mechanic to earn premium currency. MWO does not. It would be in PGIs best interest to add a small MC earning mechanic into the game.

My suggestion would be to add a small MC reward for CW wins only. CW would have more population activity and probably be far more competitive. 5 - 10MC per win would be a good grind range.

Another option is for them to add a mechanic to buy MC with CB. The cost would be double the conversion cost of Purchasing CB with MC.

#115 Heklin

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:53 PM

I find it strange that to pre purchase mechs only costs around $10USD per mech, but to buy a mech with MC costs around $15-$30USD,,, this is a big difference.

I can understand that when the game first started you needed a certain income to pay for the additional content, but now, i imagine a lot of that content has paid for itself and then some. Also,, you have a hell of a lot more content to sell than you originally did.

My fear is that over time, more players will move away from this game as it costs too much to continue with. (a new game is generally around $30-$60 USD,, Even online games (ESO, Guild Wars 2, etc) aren't too much more, but MWO keeps wanting more. i have chosen to spend $360+ on this game which i don't regret, but i can't justify spending any more.

I think the question is: If pricing was lower,, would you attract more players?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users