[Suggestion] Mc Pricing

114 replies to this topic

Poll: [Suggestion] Mc Pricing (437 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you currently satisfied with MC pricing?

1. Yes (43 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

2. No (376 votes [86.04%])

Percentage of vote: 86.04%

3. Abstain (18 votes [4.12%])

Percentage of vote: 4.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 06 June 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

Freedom isn't free? >.>

The pricing is routinely under review to ensure we are meeting our potential: We don't want it to be unreasonable or exorbitant like a $21,000 speaker cable, but we do want to be able to keep the game running and improving for a long time through reasonable transactions such as a cup of coffee for a Mech Bay.

Thank you for acknowledging this thread!
You will quickly see tremendous support for the pricing of Mech Bays within this thread but please take away more from this feedback than just that. Your assessment seems to be based on the idea that because Mech Bays are priced competitive with a cup of coffee that all prices must be fair - you even begin with the idea that prices are routinely under review. Since these prices are reviewed regularly and no adjustments have ever been made what is the value of this constant review? What is the value of the review when it does not take the abundant amount of feedback (uniquely of consensus here on the forum) into consideration - and it could not be argued that the feedback is considered (valid) or else all of this 'reviewing' would have produced something. Is it possible prices could come down if the cost overhead associated with all the routine reviewing was eliminated?
I point all this out not as a personal attack but to demonstrate that your comment was not actionable or informative. This forum has produced consensus with regard to this matter - this should be considered an astounding phenomenon on this forum and the Devs should consider the significance of such unity, even if by a vocal minority, and do something other than just have an associate type the word "review" in the forums.

Edited by BlackBeltJones, 10 June 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#62 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Well spoken BBJ, A lot of us waited 10 years for this game. We're in our 30s and 40s and we have real money to spend. It might be worth considering how serious an issue needs to be to have so many agree without a flame or troll rearing it's ugly face.

If this game was priced more like Walmart and Less like Saks I'd have spent ten times the money on it by now. Mechwarriors best feature is trying out new mechs and new tactics, grinding for a week or paying $20 to buy one is too high an investment for many of us. If everything cost a couple dollars each I'd have them all, play them all and never get bored. Trust the playerbase, you let them have the toys and they'll think of myriad ways to play with them

Seriously, think about it.

Edited by Krysic, 10 June 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#63 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

As the Dude would say "You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's". This is a delicate subject and many facets will play for and against myriad interest but Krysic is right. I've loved Mechwarrior for as long as I've loved and now I am old enough to make most of my dreams come true. I didn't get to my current age, satisfaction, and relative wealth by making (abundant) poor financial decisions and something about the current MWO pricing strikes me as unsound. Recently I have been experiencing a phase where I am doing many of the things I wished as a kid - I am building a MAME cabinet, a MWO (SIM) cockpit, buying toys that offend adult sensibilities etc... and despite my current indulgence in folly I have found only limited lapses in judgement where I ended up with a Hero Mech. My point is that I have enough money to buy all MWO items and offers but I still refrain, I refrain because I have the sense to not pay excessive amounts for services or products that have not demonstrated and excellent value. I ask that pricing be reconsidered to represent a better value, I won't tell you what I think a good value is because that is subjective but those at PGI should have the creative horsepower to invent a pricing model that makes the customer tremendously excited to give money away. I am inviting PGI to fleece me, trick me, placate me, do whatever it takes to make me spend money without giving it a second thought. Currently my emotional desire for the Ilya is quickly quieted by my reasonable and responsible side - and that's the side you need to get the money from.

Edited by BlackBeltJones, 10 June 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#64 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

Too expensive. I realize Canadian dollars have made a comeback but c'mon. I think a lot of people don't want to budget more than 60 bucks over the life of this game unless it turns into something much more and really this game is more like a $20-$30 game. I'd buy a mech and shell out real cash except I feel like I'd be blowing through my budget and if I'd rather have a clan mech I'm going to sit tight until I get my mad dog or whatever.

The key to the freemium business model is that prices stay in the "impulsive" amounts. Like 1-2 bucks USD. We're quite aware of the economies of scale involved here and subsequently feel ripped off doing things like spending 50 cents for a friggen color.

Granted, I see people playing with the premium mechs so maybe you guys know what you're doing and actually are getting healthy sales and will only lower them when things aren't moving.

#65 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostRagnar Darkmane, on 01 June 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

I really wanted to repaint my basic green Catapult today with a very basic red/black sheme (only standard colors), only to find out that I have to pay 3 bucks just to get the most basic of colors in existence. As there (most likely) won't be any color sale going on the next weeks/months I just can't seem to force myself to spend so much cash (seriously, I can get almost two garage slots for BLACK) on something this simple. Seems that my opponents and house/team mates will have to content themselves with a catapult trying to role play as a Kurita member in a completly red or basic green mech -.- ...

Get the PC Gamer scheme. Free, gives you a red, a black and a very light grey (off-white, kinda like tank snow camo).

#66 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 13 June 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

Get the PC Gamer scheme. Free, gives you a red, a black and a very light grey (off-white, kinda like tank snow camo).

They aren't doing it anymore (do to exploits), you'd have to get an unused already made code to get it, I doubt most people got one saved up a few others.

#67 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Colors and patterns are a perfect example of something that is "too damned high". As pointed out by others the powers that be should be focusing on generating the biggest percentage of their income from MICRO-TRANSACTIONS.

$30 for a Mech is not a micro-transaction, it's the price of a good, 6-12 month old game on Steam. It's a transaction, and I don't mind it, but it shouldn't be the big income earner for the game.

It should be paints, patterns, bobble heads, and other nick knacks that are priced so cheap that thousands of players buy them all the time. Again, others have pointed out, getting $1 or $2 frequently will bleed us slowly and almost invisibly over time.

I see a mech for $30 and go, "Hell no, I'll hang onto my money and wait". It I could pick up a pattern and a couple of colors for $1 per mech I'd be all over that.

#68 Scorpio Rising

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

Paint colors are WAY too insanely exorbitant. Camo patterns, I can understand; they have a higher aesthetic value than mere colors. A lot of work goes into making camo patterns...and they are more desirable to look at. Hence the higher MC price.

Paint colors on the other hand, are...just colors. These should be one of those microtransactions that nickles and dimes the player out of their MC, instead of making them feel like they are buying a new home every time they want to try a new shade of red.

Cockpit items are also stupidly priced. They need to reevaluate the perceived value to price thing on these items.

#69 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

i think MC is too pricey, or ingame stuff is too mc pricey.

most significantly - hero mechs & mechs in general

cammo unlocks should be across all chassis (still refusing to buy until this changes beyond single unlocks and that is a 1 time shot for me PGI!)

#70 InocentDictator

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I want to support this game, i love mech warrior. my issue is that i dont want to feel nickel and dimed. and micro transactions do that to me. if i could purchase a "copy" of the game that would alllow me to maybe convert cbills to mc, and later content that is released i could buy an "expansion pack" that would allow to earn those things i would be very happy. thus there would still be financial support and possibly a stronger competitive player base that dont have buyers remorse when you buy a new mech and its "meh". instead since you paid for the other content you can just earn a different one via cbills. and paying real money for a digital nik nak and paint bothers me. because i wouldnt even spend 3 dollars on a real bobble head. why cant i pay for those in cbills aswell?

#71 CordlezToaster

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Spend $30 on a hero mech?, no thanks ill just buy another computer or console game for that much.

#72 BlackINminD

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationGiessen, Germany

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

As mc pricing is right now i'm sure i won't invest any more money in this game than i have with the purchase of my founder package. Not that i'm not willing to pay some bucks for new content but this has to be at a reasonable price. With the 120$ for my founder package i have already spent more to MWO than i have in any other computer game ever. There is no chance i will pay 5$ for a fluffy camo spec or a neat cockpit item to use with just a single mech in my bays (those things in my opinion shouldn't cost more than 0.50 to 1$). Also i definitely won't sink 20-30$ in a new hero mech. Normaly i pay this much for a whole new game on Steam, not just for an in-game purchase for a game i already have spent alot of money in.

As far as pricing actually is, i'm going to spent my remaining founder mcs in eventually one more hero and the rest in mech bays and enjoy this game as it is. Any further purchases of mcs are very unlikely right now. Hopefully you realise that even players who blindly paid you 120$ in advance for this game (which is great btw) won't pay you any price for just some custom content and then, someday, you might adjust your pricing. When i log in and there is this cool hero mech on sale for about 5-8$, there is a good chance you get more of my well-earned money.

#73 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

this thread will never be acknowledge by pgi...but on another note i saw garth chime in about how great an idea a tuxedo camo paint job was

#74 darqq

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

I looked at prices 2 times and both times it scared me.

-NO- WAY that I'll buy ANYTHING at these prices.

Paint jobs should be free (I can't see them myself anyway), and all the rest should be cut to at least 25% of the price.

Compare your prices with Steam sales (with very regular discounts up to 75%) for complete stand-alone games.

Edited by darqq, 19 July 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#75 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Did a search and this is the thread that mostly reflects what I would've done. a Single Premium Color Cost for MC is way too high. It cost $6.95 USD for the MC points to buy the color, estimating $5 is 1,000 MC. It cost $5 a color, not including the camouflage. Please re-think the cost of the premium colors (make them cost around $1 USD) and camouflage (At least make camouflage $5 USD), for the most part everything else is fine.

Here is the breakdown on what the cost of colors and camouflage would be a good buy, at least for me.

in USD Currency, then the MC cost gets adjusted relative to USD currency.
camouflage $3-5 dollars
Premium $1-$2
camouflage colors $.50-$1

PGI did a good deal with the PP, it would let PGI make more money off the customization by lowering the colors and camouflage real world money cost.

View PostCordlezToaster, on 06 July 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Spend $30 on a hero mech?, no thanks ill just buy another computer or console game for that much.

View Postdarqq, on 19 July 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

I looked at prices 2 times and both times it scared me.

-NO- WAY that I'll buy ANYTHING at these prices.

Paint jobs should be free (I can't see them myself anyway), and all the rest should be cut to at least 25% of the price.

Compare your prices with Steam sales (with very regular discounts up to 75%) for complete stand-alone games.

View PostScorpio Rising, on 20 June 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Paint colors are WAY too insanely exorbitant. Camo patterns, I can understand; they have a higher aesthetic value than mere colors. A lot of work goes into making camo patterns...and they are more desirable to look at. Hence the higher MC price.

Paint colors on the other hand, are...just colors. These should be one of those microtransactions that nickles and dimes the player out of their MC, instead of making them feel like they are buying a new home every time they want to try a new shade of red.

Cockpit items are also stupidly priced. They need to reevaluate the perceived value to price thing on these items.

Agree

Edited by zolop, 13 August 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#76 Ellevehc

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

I would support the current mech prices under a few conditions.

Lets turn it into a fictional scenario.

I want to buy a highlander, but I dont know if it will be worth it. I have never played a highlander. But maybe if I got an appetizer of the highlander I would consider buying it my way. So I load out the highlander the way I think it would be fun and take it into the training grounds. I conclude that the highlander with 2 erlarge lasers ac20 and 325 engine is what I want. So I pay the MW credits flat rate for a highlander. Now, if I wanted to buy the highlander using c bills, I would have to pay for the loadout I wanted plus the stripped highlander model.

All in all, I think more people would buy these over priced mechs if they could test them out first. I know that the main reason I do not have more than 5 mechs is because I simply do not know if I would like that mech or not. And from past experience there were several times where I bought the mech and did NOT like it and felt ripped off that I couldnt test it before buying it or get a refund. I would also support a 24 hour refund service too.

#77 LiegeOfThePit

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

If you think of it this way a hero mech will give you a 30% c-bill for that mech forever. Meaning that if you add premium time you also get a 50% c-bill boost adding it up you can get a lot of c-bills. One of the points of the price of the hero mech is so that not everyone will be using hero mechs in mech warrior and the hero mechs would amount to nothing. Another thing to support that is how tricky they are to customize and use out on the field so that there is more of a balance of c-bills given to people that use hero mechs but still gives that some benefit of getting a hero mech. The point of a hero mech is to learn how to use it and, if used properly can give you a c-bill boost. In conclusion if the price of hero mechs were reduced, they would be pretty much pointless because a lot more people would buy it and everyone who play only for free would never really be able to do anything... The one thing I can agree on here is the price of paint/camo because it doesn't really effect your mech unless you make it bright pink. But then your basically saying "I'm over here!"

#78 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostLiegeOfThePit, on 20 August 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

The one thing I can agree on here is the price of paint/camo because it doesn't really effect your mech unless you make it bright pink. But then you're basically saying "I'm over here!"

Depending on the playstyle and situation, that may be exactly what you want.

#79 MrEdweird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Sorry for bringing up an older topic, I just felt I needed to say what I have to say.

For me, it is simple.
They carefully crafted the pricing so that it fits almost all scenarios. Prices are high but as you can see, almost all if not all players have paid money at one point or another or play the game long enough that they eventually find a way to finance their digital tingles. So it's not about them being too expensive, purchased content is EVERYWHERE you look.

Same thing for World of Tanks. they're making tons upon tons of cash off premium tanks, exact same deal.

You can say: "Well, if they lower the prices a bit, MANY more players will be able to afford the product and they will break the cash record since the sheer numbers will compensate!"

And you would be right. However, imagine what that means - everyone running around in hero mechs which MAY or MAY NOT be slightly better than the average stompmonster in 1v1 combat; why would you feel so much cooler in your tricked out paintjob that nobody else has if everybody, does indeed have it since they can afford the fancy schemes and colors.

Prices are designed for a target audience and IMHO MWO is much better off in terms of pushing you towards microtransactions than many other F2P games. They designed their pricing system to-the-point and the ideal is to cover their initial investments of game development as fast as possible.

If one day they decide to lower prices (which I doubt) they will present it to you as "a gift to you, the player". In reality it is simply another part of their business plan and will be covered by some other aspect of the project. And although I take deep consideration into buying something as relatively affordable as a X-5 as the game is indeed expensive for me, I'm okay with that because /that is/ the way the business functions.

End essay.

#80 Falconium

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Personally, I have to disagree with most of the people here.

Alot of you are suggesting that PGI asks way more for their in-game content than other freemiums do, but that's really not the case. Take a look at WoT: 70 bucks for a premium tank! That's twice what the Boar's Head costs. And we're not likely to ever see a single 'Mech exceed the price of that brute!

I think alot of you also underestimate how much people are actually willing to spend on gaming. For myself, I've put a bit of money into this game, almost $100 now, as have many of you with your Founder's Packages. But I look at a F2P game like TF2, which, frankly, is played mostly by pre-teens and teenagers . . . I have Steam friends who've spent a hundred bucks in a single sitting on Crate Keys for that game! To put things in perspective, some folks have spent upwards of $1000 on cosmetics for that game, and are still spending! I'm not kidding. You wanna know what one of the most expensive inventories on TF2 is worth? Over $47,000 at the moment, and growing!

It's all in perspective. Yes, it may seem extreme to spend $30 on a single 'Mech when you can spend that much on a pretty nice game . . . but in the end, what is of more value to you, personally? For myself, the Hero 'Mechs I've bought are purchases which I am thoroughly enjoying.

So long as PGI continues to pull in more revenue from this game, MC prices are not likely to drop. And honestly, PGI will continue to make money off this game so long as they keep releasing new 'Mechs, as there will always be those who'll buy every 'Mech that comes out, just because.

Great game, PGI. Keep up the good work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users