Just Make Guardian Ecm, Guardian Ecm.

163 replies to this topic

#41 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

a lot of us have been saying this for weeks...agree!

#42 gottill

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

View Postgottill, on 08 April 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

what about this:
1. after u have been hit by a ppc-blast u have to manualy restart ur ecm (just like night- or heatvision) by hiting the ecm-button again.
2. changing ecm-mode takes 5 sec. during this period u have no ecm becaues it's recalibrating.
3. when u change the ecm-mode, u have to wait 10, 15 or 20 sec to change it again.

#43 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Making random changes with none of the consulting previous BT and MW games is what got us here in the first place. If we are to balance MWO, we first have to see what made the previous mechwarrior game so good.

#44 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostTaron, on 29 March 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

From my point of view, ECM works perfect as it is now.

There is absolutly no need to change anything on the ECM.

On my last 100 matches, i often did not even notice that enemy has ECM. :P

Maybe a bit OP.. ..but it doesnt bother me that much. With a good aim and persistence its easy enough to leg an ECM raven/spider/cicada to take them out.. ..and when we get HST for ballistics and collisions back in :D

#45 BloodyDziq

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

totally agreed
+ it should be available for all mechs

#46 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostSeraphims Blood, on 09 April 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

totally agreed

But that would be in continuity with the mechwarrior universe...Can't have that, now can we?

#47 gottill

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostSeraphims Blood, on 09 April 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

totally agreed

then it would be a must have and missiles would be of no use anymore. or anybody would just put it on counter and leave it there. but then ecm would be senseless again. why do i have to think about nukes in the cold war right now?
... ah yes. anybody must have them so nobody will use them...
would be better to leave it out of the game entirely then having it in every mech...

#48 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

View PostTaron, on 29 March 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

From my point of view, ECM works perfect as it is now.

There is absolutly no need to change anything on the ECM.

On my last 100 matches, i often did not even notice that enemy has ECM. ;)

I am curious, how do you suggest they implement Angel ECM, null signature, stealth armor and clan ECM? Or do you feel those future techs should simply not be added at all?

Edit: Our current ECM system is either short sighted or neglectful.

#49 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

I didn't even know the Null Signature System existed in the battle tech universe. If ECM added a huge base heat output(+10 heat for most mechs is a lot) to the mech while it was engaged and running (and could be turned off) and if it was a little heavier ~2 tons to 2.5 tons (much heavier and it wouldn't be practical on very light mechs) I would be much more balanced.

A mech running ecm would then have much harder decisions about weapon use while it was engaged, and would have to use ECM tactically instead of all the time.

#50 Harmin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSussex, UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

I think ECM is fine as it is. Doesn't really affect anything aside from streaks and LRMs. Perhaps LRM speed should be increased, it does grate me that they're travelling at something silly like 500kph. Increase LRM travel speed and then they become viable to be dumb-fired.

-Armin

#51 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

ECM should be balanced with BAP. BAP should allow a 180 meter non-LOS sensor range. That is what it was used for in battletech. Improved sensors.... in MWO it doesn't do crap. You can detect shutdown mechs when you are staring right at them.... really? That is a useful thing for BAP?

If BAP allowed a 180meter non LOS sensor range, then ECM would block BAP. ECM should also block narc, artimus, and increase lock on times like the OP said.

This way both BAP and ECM would have usefulness without being overpowered.

View PostHarmin, on 10 April 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

I think ECM is fine as it is. Doesn't really affect anything aside from streaks and LRMs. Perhaps LRM speed should be increased, it does grate me that they're travelling at something silly like 500kph. Increase LRM travel speed and then they become viable to be dumb-fired.

-Armin

Really? So you are able to share targeting data with your buds on that ECM mech? Or pull up that ECM mech on radar across the map? And you don't suffer IFF issues when in the ECM bubble?

I need your version of the game! ;)

#52 Harmin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSussex, UK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostAC, on 10 April 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Really? So you are able to share targeting data with your buds on that ECM mech? Or pull up that ECM mech on radar across the map? And you don't suffer IFF issues when in the ECM bubble?

I need your version of the game! ;)

Those are such minor issues - you're grasping at straws in your ECM zealotry. Just tell your buddies via text or voice the grid coordinates where they are.

ECM is fine as it is. It adds flavour and in my opinion slots in nicely in the game mechanics. We need more items like this if anything. BAP and NARC do need some loving. AMS should also come as an energy flavour etc etc.

-Armin

#53 AC

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostHarmin, on 10 April 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Those are such minor issues - you're grasping at straws in your ECM zealotry. Just tell your buddies via text or voice the grid coordinates where they are.

ECM is fine as it is. It adds flavour and in my opinion slots in nicely in the game mechanics. We need more items like this if anything. BAP and NARC do need some loving. AMS should also come as an energy flavour etc etc.

-Armin

If those are not issues, or a big deal at all, then remove them. If something isn't contributing to the game, get rid of it.

#54 Haitchpeasauce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

I'm going to be the cynical and bitter one and say ... no chance PGI is going to respond to any ECM discussion thread, or implement any reasonable suggestions contained within.

#55 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

Or

Make all ECM mechs variants have no missile hardpoints like the Cicada.

The key problem is ecm mechs using ssrms while the enemy cannot. The only reason why i use the Atlas DC model with ssrms is to counter mechs like the raven 3L. Using ECM to help protect you from locks since you cannot would make more sense gameplay wise. Blocking the enemies ability to lock and being able too yourself is unbalanced.

#56 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostAC, on 10 April 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

If those are not issues, or a big deal at all, then remove them. If something isn't contributing to the game, get rid of it.

Exactly. It does not cause issues for those over coms, however it is causing issues for those are not. Or are you, Harmin, using this advantage over pugs as a crutch?

#57 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

It'd be better to balance SSRMs and other missiles as well as ECM rather than make the focus that countering SSRMs is ok, because they have no drawbacks. I mean other than ECM, SSRMs are almost strictly better, and if ECM didn't affect them, then we would not see SRMs when SSRM-6 etc comes out.

#58 Zero V85

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

As a player that loves to play artillery support the recent nerf to missile damage and the vast popularity of ECM has mad this game a strict brawler, sniping is still viable even after the thermal nerf (that needed to happen you just need to be more observant now) and don't get me wrong brawlers are needed and just as much a part of the mech warrior universe as any other class.

Now adding insult to injury when I launch an artillery volley of 2x LRM 15 on a moving target with LOS,Artemis and tag results in only 40%and at best 50% of my volley actually hitting my target my damage output is ridiculously low add to the the fact that ECM covers 180 meters and jams all enemy radars in the same 180 meters, makes getting let alone keeping a target lock damn near impossible. Now decreasing my effective radar range I get and I can deal with but making all mechs in the 180 meter umbrella completely invisible to me isn't right.

Lastly god help me if a ECM light mech decides to take in interest in me, I may as well power down and quit because my roll for the game is over I can no longer fire missiles effectively and aoe firing is a joke the flight time is so long and the aoe damage is so low I mine as well spit on the enemy to do damage. Most lights are so fast that trying to take one down with just lasers as it runs around you at 150kph without help is a damn near impossible task. I agree with CancR in most regards the weight issue is not a problem for me but the over the top effects on the one roll in this game (artillery) that really differentiates this game form other shooters and the other mech game out there is just a joke at this point.

ECM should
1-increase lock on time.
2- interfere with your radar at random intervals but not make it non-functional.
3-decerease the effective range of enemy radar.

#59 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 11 April 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

It'd be better to balance SSRMs and other missiles as well as ECM rather than make the focus that countering SSRMs is ok, because they have no drawbacks. I mean other than ECM, SSRMs are almost strictly better, and if ECM didn't affect them, then we would not see SRMs when SSRM-6 etc comes out.

True. Perhaps SSRM should get a hp nerf. Currently it weighs in with 10hp like mostly everything else.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 11 April 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#60 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I usually suggest that SSRMs should have to relock after every fire and the more you have, the longer the lock would take. Consistent weapons with consistent power, but much less DPS than SRMs.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users