172 replies to this topic

#101 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostMr 144, on 29 March 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

You really need to troll better...I understand post count makes ya a little loose 'cause ya gotta catch up, but put some effort into it man...what else do have to do?

I'm convinced that Shumabot is actually just a forum troll bot program which keys off of certain thread titles and pops in to offer the most flame bait type response it can based upon the current content of the thread. Unfortunately this version of bot just doesn't have the programming to hang in.

#102 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 March 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Considering the playstation doesn't use direct x at all and the xbox uses a unix distro that's not very meaningful. I don't care what titles they previously used, every single crytek game uses it except this one. If they didn't want to stay current they should have gone with an engine they could handle. This isn't cryteks fault, they didn't force it on pgi.

Please, elucidate how I'm just a curmudgeon. As far as I can tell you and your ilk refuse to do anything but pat pgi on the back for every baby step they take. Except they aren't babies, and they're constantly falling on their faces. Maybe they'd be encouraged to do more than figure out new ways to fleece people like you if people like you would request actual quality.

Also, huh. Apparently this name is more popular than I thought. A student AND an OKC account.

Actually..Crysis was DX10 capable, not DX11, again, research a bit before you tell us what's what, ok? And you should read people's posts, not just assume you know what they typed. I stated that ONLY the XBox 360 out of all the consoles uses DirectX and it only uses DX9, next gen XBox console will evidently use DX11. The gaming industry is now more centered around consoles then PC, with the exception of MMOs like MWO. PGI WANTED to make a MW game for consoles, but MicroSoft nix'd that. Again, do just a modicum of research and you'd be aware of this fact.

CryTek broke how DX11 works in the version of the engine PGI has with an update, and there's been no fix for it because CryTek has been a little busy with their OWN IP, Crysis 3. Now that that is out, maybe they'll find some time to give some help to PGI..we can hope but I wouldn't count on it, lots of issues with Crysis 3 to fix first, so we'll see. Again, do a little research.

#103 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostMr 144, on 29 March 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Of course I am...it's the only way the MWO forums make sense...what's that got to do with it?

Posted Image

#104 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 29 March 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

This, is the big news? THIS IS THE BIG NEWS THAT PGI WAS TEASING ON TWITTER!

THIS IS CRAP ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION FOR THE PAST MONTH WOULD KNOW!!!!!

*foams at the mouth and dies*

Pffft it was on twitter who uses that crap lol no wonder most of us didnt know ;)

#105 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Well lets just hope that PGI can crank out the clan invasion for the sept 21 release date.

That I can see as saving this game after the all too fast closed beta to open beta jump, and the extreme length this open beta is still going to take with this announcement.

given that summer is slow time for video games, sept would be dieal to have CW in and working, and then have the clans hit with the invasion in october for the timeline to stay in in tact.

#106 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostShumabot, on 29 March 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Considering the playstation doesn't use direct x at all and the xbox uses a unix distro that's not very meaningful. I don't care what titles they previously used, every single crytek game uses it except this one. If they didn't want to stay current they should have gone with an engine they could handle. This isn't cryteks fault, they didn't force it on pgi.

Please, elucidate how I'm just a curmudgeon. As far as I can tell you and your ilk refuse to do anything but pat pgi on the back for every baby step they take. Except they aren't babies, and they're constantly falling on their faces. Maybe they'd be encouraged to do more than figure out new ways to fleece people like you if people like you would request actual quality.

Also, huh. Apparently this name is more popular than I thought. A student AND an OKC account.

Posted Image

#107 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 29 March 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Actually..Crysis was DX10 capable, not DX11, again, research a bit before you tell us what's what, ok? And you should read people's posts, not just assume you know what they typed. I stated that ONLY the XBox 360 out of all the consoles uses DirectX and it only uses DX9, next gen XBox console will evidently use DX11. The gaming industry is now more centered around consoles then PC, with the exception of MMOs like MWO. PGI WANTED to make a MW game for consoles, but MicroSoft nix'd that. Again, do just a modicum of research and you'd be aware of this fact.

CryTek broke how DX11 works in the version of the engine PGI has with an update, and there's been no fix for it because CryTek has been a little busy with their OWN IP, Crysis 3. Now that that is out, maybe they'll find some time to give some help to PGI..we can hope but I wouldn't count on it, lots of issues with Crysis 3 to fix first, so we'll see. Again, do a little research.

Why is crytek responsible for developing engine compatibility for MWO? As to crysis, it currently works with dx11, despite shipping before it, as does crysis 2 and 3 and warhead. You're making excuses. Modern games work with multiple DX standards for maximum compatibility, they don't punish players for buying new hardware.

View PostDragonsFire, on 29 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

I'm convinced that Shumabot is actually just a forum troll bot program which keys off of certain thread titles and pops in to offer the most flame bait type response it can based upon the current content of the thread. Unfortunately this version of bot just doesn't have the programming to hang in.

I'm convinced half of you are viral marketers getting paid a penny per post to shout down any criticism to a game that's floundering and falling apart. I'm happy in my position as someone capable of seeing the forest for the trees while blind fanbois jazz hands every time PGI delays or cancels something.

Edited by Shumabot, 29 March 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#108 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostShumabot, on 29 March 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Why is crytek responsible for developing engine compatibility for MWO? As to crysis, it currently works with dx11, despite shipping before it, as does crysis 2 and 3 and warhead. You're making excuses. Modern games work with multiple DX standards for maximum compatibility, they don't punish players for buying new hardware.

Because the engine is CryEngine 3... which is Crytek's engine, for which they have the compatibility stuff.

At the end of the day, CryTek kinda has the key's to the engine, and if it's something THEY broke in the engine, then it's something THEY have to fix.

As it sits, it doesn't matter, game will be dead 1-2 months after "offical" release. guarantee it.

#109 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 29 March 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

View PostJade Kitsune, on 29 March 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

As it sits, it doesn't matter, game will be dead 1-2 months after "offical" release. guarantee it.

Stop being a big ol' mean grumpy pants.
Let me put a smile on your face ;)
Posted Image

Edited by MrPenguin, 29 March 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#110 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Why are people so surprised?

This is exactly what we've been expecting, timeline and all. It's not what PGI has been saying, granted, but honestly if you bought into it, you should have known better.

PGI is slow. They make references to features and release dates, and then completely blow them. They almost utterly fail at keeping us informed (with just a few exceptions), and when we call them on it we drown in apologists. This is the way they do business, and it's been this way the entire time.

If you set expectations otherwise, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Take this game for what it is, not what it isn't. Whenever you hear anything about a feature release, take the tine they give you and double it. If it'll be ready "next month" expect it in 2 or 3. Assuming they have the capital to stay alive, it'll get here eventually.

#111 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

There is a fair amount of different information in this article:

http://www.ign.com/a...-now-and-launch

#112 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I agree with Elvis.

#113 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

and here:

http://www.polygon.c...ild-and-faction

Although I am not sure I am too happy about a Premium account required to be in a merc corp, so hopefully they don't implement that.

#114 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostBelorion, on 29 March 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

and here:

http://www.polygon.c...ild-and-faction

Although I am not sure I am too happy about a Premium account required to be in a merc corp, so hopefully they don't implement that.

That would be terrible. Merc numbers would drop off by half across the board heh.

#115 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I made a thread about it. Stating its probably a bad idea.

#116 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostVulkan, on 29 March 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

To be honest the excuse that they're a small developer only stretches so far, anyone who's familiar with Mount & Blade would know how much work even a small dev team (that is, husband and wife) can accomplish in a year with very limited funding, and that's using their OWN engine.

Which year are you crediting Mount and Blade for? I lost my logon for that more than 4 years ago.

edit: thanks to the subsequent poster who called out the 2004 beta start followed by 4 years of development.

Edited by WVAnonymous, 29 March 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#117 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostShumabot, on 29 March 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

I don't need to have been around back then. This game looks bad for the resources it uses. This game is harder to run than crysis 3 and looks terrible by comparison. The direct x versioning is a very strong reason why (as is the fact that they don't seem to understand how to make map content or handle shaders). If it doesn't bother you that this game is going to continue to run like a yugo with its muffler missing in six months than that's your problem. I have actual standards.

Runs well on my machine, and I think I have standards...

#118 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 29 March 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Runs well on my machine, and I think I have standards...

Run BF3, crysis 1, or really any other outdoor shooter from 2010 and ownwards. It'll run better, look better, and you'll get better framerates.

Edited by Shumabot, 29 March 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#119 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 29 March 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Which year are you crediting Mount and Blade for? I lost my logon for that more than 4 years ago.

It's been quite a while ago, I couldn't give you a specific year, but I'm guessing around the 2007-8 period. By then they already had, for all intents and purposes, a working game. Their "team" was also just starting to form. Perhaps a better example would be the expansion, Warband, which they open beta tested in MP for a year and closed beta tested SP for the same time. I was in both betas, and the amount of work they did both in MP and SP was astounding, given the size of their team. They not only created new units, equipment, a whole new faction, and a new map, but they also expanded the combat system to include things like parry's, riposte's, and the like. Not to mention the new political system in SP which was great.

Now I'm not saying it was a perfect game, it had some issues, but the fact is they were a small team who received far less funding than MWO did from FOUNDERS alone, and they've achieved so much more in so little time. My question to the devs would be, where is all their money going? And why is so much being squandered on new mechs and the odd map when what the game really NEEDS is more play modes and CW to attract more players? They, after all, would have more funding and time if they had a more sustainable working model of a game. The current system, while it can be fun, gets boring and repetitive cause you're doing mostly the same thing, and there's not really any sense of purpose. You can't do anything but shoot or cap. There are no goals, no rewards beyond Cbills and XP. I thought they wanted to avoid the grind.

Edited by Vulkan, 29 March 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#120 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Shumabot, as you pointed out, DX11 was added AFTER the final release, the engine did not support it when it was designed, created and released. CryTek built the engine PGI is using, PGI has to go to them for core engine fixes like DX11 not working properly AFTER an update from CryTek because it's something CryTek did to the engine, not something PGI did. That's not a new thing, it's been kind of standard since iD first released their Quake engine for licensing. If you get a licensed engine and the creators do something that breaks core engine functionality, you usually have to go to them to get it fixed. PGI's been working on it, we know that, but getting it working as it should..they may well need CryTek to address the problem for them, just ask anyone that's ever worked on a mod for an existing game, real common issue.

And Shumabot, this game currently runs very well on my machine, i7 950, 6g ram, GTX 470 factory OC'd. All settings maxed, 1920x1080, my fps go from 120+ down to 50 during heavy combat with everyone clustered up in a big furball. I can look at the armor plates on the sides of my Jager's cockpit and SEE the texture of the metal, pitting, bumps, layers of paint.. Maybe you just need to tweak your system a bit? Crysis 3 runs the same, I won't say it looks better because it's actually TOO overdetailed, makes real life look like it's missing something, but it's a lot more vibrant then MWO is...it's also a really expensive Tech Demo, as CryTek makes more off licenses then game sales :)

As to that whole "Mercs need to be premium" bit...HUH? Hmm..as I read the interview, the comment SEEMS to suggest that in order to START a Merc unit, you need to be a premium player, it doesn't actually say all Mercs need to be premium. They want some sign of commitment from people wanting to start a Merc Company in the game, which I can't really say I blame them for. I've seen far too many people over the years start up a clan/team/unit/whatever you want to call it in a game and NEVER get it off the ground or use it soley for mule/storage purposes. And it's not without precedent I might add, I know a few other MMOs that require the same if they have a F2P option, like Dungeons and Dragons Online, which requires you to spend real money to buy a charter to start a guild if you aren't a premium player already. Not a new thing, and if they only make you need premium time to START the unit, not a big deal. Add in the fact that with how their metagame is going to work, I really do understand them wanting to make sure anyone starting a Merc unit IS committed to playing the game for more then a few hours.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users