Your Gaming Mouse And You - A Simple Guide For Newbies Into The World Of Gaming Mice

83 replies to this topic

#81 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostMerchant, on 22 May 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Never thought to try this. Just did with one mouse pad, it does affect movement though the 'usual' side is now so slick, the pad slides around. Will break out other pads with less slick sides to see what happens.

Be wary of pro gaming surfaces. The way they work is that they have a pattern imprinted onto them that works very well for laser mice to recognize movement. That is makes them feel "rough". You might have noticed that pro surfaces feel almost smooth, caused by the pattern being extremely tight for high precision readings but you will also need an extremely precise laser to actually read it, or you mouse starts skipping as it fails to recognize changes in the laser readings. Middle priced average surfaces won't be as precise but more reliable for the (above) average gaming mouse.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 22 May 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#82 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

The Logitech G9/G9X has been my primary for the last 6 years. It's given me unparalleled control, but it can get a little uncomfortable with the textured grip. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued.

The recently released Logitech G502 is the only other Logitech mouse that's worked for me. It's not quite as bulbous as the other G-00's and throws in an extra thumb button. I haven't spent too much time with it, but I think it's a winner.

My backup mouse is a classic Microsoft Intellimouse. Despite being old and optical, it's very ergonomic and the tracking is flawless.

I've used all three of these with basic 1/8" cloth mousepads. I would never pay for an expensive gaming surface.

#83 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Roccat Kone XTD. Bought it last year from newegg. goes up to like 8000+ DPI, which I use for lol sometimes. Has weights, long style for palm grip(my hands are too big and it ends up semi claw grip anyway, but thats just me) thumb button that "flips" function on other buttons, so all buttons have dual use. Scroll wheel has a down click function, and also left and right click to go with wheel function. +/- DPI adjustment buttons.

Software lets you asign any function to any button, write macors, set up a half dozen profiles for different games/users, adjust the DPI steps, adjust lift off distance, sensitivity, calibrate the actual eye for the surface you use, i forge tthe rest. DPI djustment buttons also have nifty voice to go with them that actually tells you the DPI( english, but I think german accent, it is a recording of an actual guy) Recording guy gets really excited when you select 8200 DPI( or whatever max is) and makes me lol.

Nifty light effects. soft touch non slip coating on whole mouse. buttons arent super loud. accurate enough, with calibration, I have been using it on a shiny black laminate coating on my keyboard tray of my desk, which was never intended ever to be a mouse surface. Maybe I should stop being lazy and buy a nice large mat for it. Probly easier on the glides that way too :D

I looked at razer stuff too, and also the one corsair one M1? I forget, and the rat 7. I might pick up a RAT yet to try, but so far I have zilcho to complain about on my Roccat. Highly recomend.

#84 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 22 May 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Be wary of pro gaming surfaces. The way they work is that they have a pattern imprinted onto them that works very well for laser mice to recognize movement. That is makes them feel "rough". You might have noticed that pro surfaces feel almost smooth, caused by the pattern being extremely tight for high precision readings but you will also need an extremely precise laser to actually read it, or you mouse starts skipping as it fails to recognize changes in the laser readings. Middle priced average surfaces won't be as precise but more reliable for the (above) average gaming mouse.

I personally got a Rocket fish surface from best buy to go with my Logitech g500, it has both a smooth and rough side, i like it, its rough side combined with all the weights in my mouse help remind me of good ol baLL mice (only recently got a laser mice, it felt so light and awkward)

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users