Your Gaming Mouse And You - A Simple Guide For Newbies Into The World Of Gaming Mice

83 replies to this topic

#41 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Funny i have had my naga for a few years now and no issues. Dont know what you guys are doing to your mice to break them. They slide and that is it. Or are you all slamming them sown when you get killed in some sort of fit? I really want to know because im curious how you guys break mice.

#42 Dnarvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, B.C.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Got a G500 2 years ago, and it is still going strong. It is a great Beginner/intermediate Gaming mouse. The weight system lets you adjust it to the perfect point for you. The only downside I have for it is MWO does not recognize the middle thumb button, the 1st and 3rd I use for weapon groupings, but I had to map an unused key tot he middle button to get it ti function. IF it had 1 or 2 more thumb side buttons it would be all you would ever need for MWO.

#43 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

I ended up getting the Logitech G700s and it's pretty nice. 13 buttons is a bit overkill for me but their placement is perfect, and it's wireless (with wired potential) so I'm good to go.

#44 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I now have Logitech g500, great beginner/budget gaming moue like dnarvel said

#45 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I used to have Logitech for gaming (MX-300 and MX-500, then MX-518, then G-5, and then a G-500). They all eventually wore out, especially the cord (there is a known issue with the G-5 and G-500 where the mouse would stop responding due to the cord short circuiting the mouse). At the same time, I've had 2 Razer Deathadder, and both work beautifully.

Edit: I do have to say that my MX-300 and MX-500 lasted a good 5 years, while the rest only lasted maybe 2 years. I bought the MX-300 and MX-500 in 2001. They definately don't make hardware like they used to, since I still have an old 2 button logitech from the 90's that still works just fine, just not for gaming.

Edited by Vxheous, 24 April 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#46 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Good topic. Personally, I use an old microsoft four-button mouse... lol. I know, so old-school, but it works well for me.

#47 SGT Puddles

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNewport News, VA, US, Terra

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I use this bad boy
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826105074

unfortunately its discontinued but there are newer more cheaply made versions out there.

the on the fly dpi presets are very handy and i love the vertical forward and back buttons, the thumb rests just right between them and i cant ever go back to another configuration.......I pray it never dies.

#48 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Logitech g9x review:

#49 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Razer mice have never let me down. My original Naga was fine after nearly 4 years of extremely heavy gaming, but only the mouse wheel stopped clicking, which was frustrating me when I tried to open tabs. I tried a Logitech and it was a pretty bad mouse with mushy buttons and buggy firmware (G600). If I used the internal memory at all, the cursor moved by itself. I then tried a Steelseries, and it was broken out of the box.

Every brand will slip up every now and then. Razer have gotten this false reputation from somewhere, and it's not fair. They're one of those companies that are fashionable to hate on the internet, but a quick Google on some Logitech products and you'll find very long threads on their forums filled with unhappy customers. There are 3 Razer mice in my home (not including my Naga with no wheel click, she's retired), at 4 years, 2 years, and 6 months old, all working perfectly.

#50 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostDr Killinger, on 24 April 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

Razer mice have never let me down. My original Naga was fine after nearly 4 years of extremely heavy gaming, but only the mouse wheel stopped clicking, which was frustrating me when I tried to open tabs. I tried a Logitech and it was a pretty bad mouse with mushy buttons and buggy firmware (G600). If I used the internal memory at all, the cursor moved by itself. I then tried a Steelseries, and it was broken out of the box.

Every brand will slip up every now and then. Razer have gotten this false reputation from somewhere, and it's not fair. They're one of those companies that are fashionable to hate on the internet, but a quick Google on some Logitech products and you'll find very long threads on their forums filled with unhappy customers. There are 3 Razer mice in my home (not including my Naga with no wheel click, she's retired), at 4 years, 2 years, and 6 months old, all working perfectly.

well these people here have explained 1st hand accounts of razer products failing, and Logitech product working flawlessly, so its not exactly "made up" or "unfair"

#51 DjKonline

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostViper69, on 24 April 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

Funny i have had my naga for a few years now and no issues. Dont know what you guys are doing to your mice to break them. They slide and that is it. Or are you all slamming them sown when you get killed in some sort of fit? I really want to know because im curious how you guys break mice.

I have went through a few "cheap" mice and a couple of mid-grade its not the treatment, its their constant use of a button ( most common was the 1 button going out or becoming sticky ) on a cheap mouse it was not worth the effort to try and fix them, on the mid grade it wasn't as much it didn't work, it was I wanted something new/better.

Currently using a R.A.T.7 and a Razer Nostromo

#52 Alamarian

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Good topic. If you don't have a gaming mouse, you are missing out. Some thoughts on features:

Buttons. You need at least four buttons (minus dedicated DPI buttons). You might not need more than that to operate a game like MW:O but you need at least that. I get by with four (not counting the clickable mousewheel, which I never use because it's very fiddly in a game the uses the mousewheel). If you use macros or games with more functions, you might consider more but I stick with simplicity.

Trust me, never use a mouse with regular AA/AAA batteries. Unless you want to find yourself unable to game due to a dead mouse, you'll have to keep regular batteries stocked up by the crate and whiz money down the drain every time you replace them. If you can keep rechargeable AA/AAA batteries ready to go at a moment's notice, those will work. Otherwise, I suggest you get a mouse with a charging station/cable. I prefer corded, because I've never been bothered by cords (clean yer damn desk!) and I hate fiddling with batteries.

DPI. It's nice but I can cover the width of my screen with less than an inch of movement with a 2000 DPI setting. Unless you have very, very fine control anything over that is just silly. If the mouse has adjustable DPI settings (and it should), having more can't hurt but it's not part of what I look for in a mouse.

Speaking of, you need to be able to switch DPI settings on the fly. It's the best thing ever. Yes, better than sex with twins. I use the lowest setting on my Logitech G5 for sniping (set to around 500 DPI), the middle setting (1,100) for medium and brawling ranges and I might use the top setting (1,800) for lights, if I piloted them.

Weights are useful but not a deal breaker to me. I do use them in my Logitech G5 but I wouldn't be miffed if it didn't have any. The main benefit is that if you have very precise control of the mouse, you can use light weights or no weights to make it faster. If you tend to overshoot or have issues with small movements, weight and a lower DPI setting can be helpful there.

#53 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

After using my Razer Diamondback for some 6 years or so, I decided to "upgrade" to the Naga Hex (Diamondback still works fine, and has been moved to our "guest" computer"). Mostly, I wanted a couple more side buttons (for MMO use, but they've actually been more useful for shooters, especially MWO with weapons groups), and finally got tired of the known issue with the Diamondback of sometimes not powering on from a cold boot. Aside from that, all of the buttons (including the scroll wheel) still work just fine.

I've had the Naga Hex for about 6 months now, and love it. I didn't like the standard Naga (too many side buttons for me). I've never used the on-the-fly DPI adjustment... I find where I like it and leave it there.

I've had a Razer Lycosa for a year or three now (not really sure how long, to be honest), and it works fine other than the media "touchpad" keys not working. (Known issue, but my serial number didn't fall under their recall at the time, and it wasn't worth trying to RMA the keyboard for a feature I never use anyways)

#54 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

My Razor Naga Epic is on it's 2nd battery after 6 months, wireless is flaky, profile doesn't always switch on the go correctly, and more than one match had me either frantically switching to wired mode or piloting the last 2 min without any mouse (which is quite hard to shoot people with only the keyboard).

:)

This one was in PC Gamer and looks interesting (and dirt cheap!) - http://www.evike.com...oducts_id=41447

Edited by Kaemon, 26 April 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#55 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

View Postdjkonline, on 25 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

I have went through a few "cheap" mice and a couple of mid-grade its not the treatment, its their constant use of a button ( most common was the 1 button going out or becoming sticky ) on a cheap mouse it was not worth the effort to try and fix them, on the mid grade it wasn't as much it didn't work, it was I wanted something new/better.

Currently using a R.A.T.7 and a Razer Nostromo

I get ya. I have an *** ton of time on my Razr, not in MWO but in plenty of other games and not a hickup. I guess some people may be a little more of a light clicker or a firm clicker also. You play a lot of diablo2 on that mouse? Just curious that is a clickfest and a half, also Diablo 3. My Naga has far too many buttons for MWO but it was perfect for MMORPGs with a hotbar which it shines really well at. In a FPS where you really are only maybe using 3-4 buttons at the most my naga is a waste of tech but I will use it because once your hand gets used to a mouse size its rough changing over. I know when I went from my G5 which had weights and was a bit larger than the naga it was difficult getting my hand used to a smaller profile. I wore the paint off my G5 I used it so much but it still works great along with my Naga both work flawlessly.

I have an old Nostromo back when the company was Nostromo I only used 3 times because it was far too awkward to use.

#56 AMC Eagle

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

I love my Nostromo.

Oh!

And, to stay on topic, I have a Logitech G700 that I bought because it was a larger mouse for my freakish hands. I love it.

#57 neotoad

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 29 March 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Corsair M60 is a fantastic FPS mouse. very solid and reliable.

Just received my Corsair M65 in the mail yesterday and have been playing PS2 non-stop with it. Very comfortable for my (average) sized hands, great responsiveness and build quality. You will not regret buying this peripheral ;).

And yes, this post was sponsored by Corsair for the record.

#58 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

View Postneotoad, on 27 April 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

And yes, this post was sponsored by Corsair for the record.

wait, so????? imm confused :/

#59 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Got a G400 a few days ago, in cs:go it's way, way better than my old sidewinder X3 (felt like it was lagging a bit).

using it without the logitech software and at the default 800 dpi, apparantly there's a little bit of jitter at the higher settings, 1800 still felt fine to me though.

for mechwarrior it's not that important as there's no instant twitch killing, any mouse will do as long as you adjust the mouse sensitivity in the user.cfg file.

Edited by Flapdrol, 27 April 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#60 phulcrum

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

No mention of Roccat mice? What a shame. Some of the best on the market IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users