Your Gaming Mouse And You - A Simple Guide For Newbies Into The World Of Gaming Mice

83 replies to this topic

#21 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

View Postthemanwithsauce, on 31 March 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

The biggest advantage in practically any gaming mouse is the increased movement speed and sensitivity. I had an old dynex mouse before I got really into gaming, especially on higher resolutions and I was trying to snipe someone in BF 2142 and I remember having to quickly pickup and move the mouse around to keep scrolling when tracking people to snipe. That is such a huge killer of your score right there. You can track, you know where the enemy is, you know what you need to do to get the kill and you have the jump on them.......right up to the point where the mouse falls off the side of the desk.

That's also why I said in my first post you're probably going to want around 2000 DPI (or more) to start with. Once you get used to it, start making different DPI settings for different modes. A sniping heavy mech might call for a little less DPI for easier time hitting torsos or legs or weapons. A light mech will probably do better with more DPI so you can spaz out a bit more. Plus you can always limit your maximum DPI to a number less than the maximum possible. I actually have settings ranging from 800 to I believe 4600 on my mouse that's capable of 5700. Same with my old sidewinder. I turn it up occasionally but I don't find those to be that useful for the games I play.

A fun trick to map a button to is a "quick turn" - if you have a mouse that supports macros (I miss my old sidewinder) you can map a button to do a 180 turn in a snap. It takes some time to set it up correctly and get used to, but it was awesome for CoD and BF games to confuse the hell out of people :wacko: The more you play with them, the more you can get out of them.

i remember when i played lost planet 2 on ps3, there was a button for 180 turn left or right as a default, no one seemed to use it except me :D

#22 Resheph

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

I've had my Razer Naga for well over a year and use it for 10+ hours a day (ok, I have no life) and it works fine...

#23 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostResheph, on 01 April 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

I've had my Razer Naga for well over a year and use it for 10+ hours a day (ok, I have no life) and it works fine...

Hey, despite Razer's best apparent efforts, I'm sure one or two decent products *occasionally* slip through their quality control :)

Edited by Catamount, 01 April 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#24 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

dang, people don't like razor, do they

#25 SweetWarmIce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

I use a Logitech G9x with the weights to keep my aim steady. On the fly adjustment is brilllant especially when you jump between mechs with different turning/aiming speeds.

Edited by SweetWarmIce, 04 April 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#26 themanwithsauce

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

Newegg is selling the G500 for 50$ - http://www.newegg.co...-318-_-Homepage

I forgot to mention another major bonus of using these mice (with the exception of a few brands) - The build quality and construction tend to be better. So yes this is a lot of money for just a mouse, but then again it isn't *just* a mouse given its internals and you will probably have it for years with no trouble.

#27 themanwithsauce

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

Two other deals for this weekend on some good mice for under 50$

Thermaltake e-sports Theron - http://www.newegg.co...-26254090-L017A (40$ with codeEMCXSXR69)

Logitech G400 - http://www.newegg.co...-26104577-L017B (35$ with code EMCXSXR72)

A word of caution with the G400, it uses an optical sensor instead of a laser sensor. I haven't used an optical sensor in a while but I find the lasers to be much more consistent over any mousepad or useable surface. However, for 35$, it's still a logitech g-series mouse so it's worthwhile.

Edited by themanwithsauce, 05 April 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#28 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

I have a naga epic (wireless even) that I got at a discount (back of a truck apparently).,

I think they finally have the 'cloud' Synapse issues nailed down, but switching profiles when in wireless mode is not quick, and even though a year old, I'm ordering another battery for it (cause this one is starting to not hold a charge well).

Feel is fine, it's nice for me to have adjustable grips (I have a weird hand apparently) and it's one of the few that fit well.

Also I macro alot of the side buttons to do other things while working, for MWO I have it turned down pretty far otherwise it's pretty jumpy (I have tequila reflexes though).

I won't buy another one, however this one is functional (but much like apple products, I wouldn't pay full price for one).

Are the Steel Series any good?

Edited by Kaemon, 05 April 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#29 themanwithsauce

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Steel series peripherals are good, but tend to focus on more "raw" performance over features, at least the models I looked at. High DPI capabilities, simple construction, limited buttons, but there is ALWAYS an exception to the rules. One of my old CoD:MW friends had one of their mice and he liked it a lot. He's still using it as his gaming mouse and he got it 2 or 3 years ago? Maybe 4?

I'd steer clear of the game specific special editions though, they're collectors items like the WoW mouse they did a while back. They're probably very serviceable mice but the added price on top of them (SS) already being a premium player means you're overpaying for what you get. Stick with their normal models and I don't see why not. Especially if you can find a good deal on one, would probably be a good buy.

Edited by themanwithsauce, 05 April 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#30 LiuAnshan

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I've had my Razer Nostromo and Lachesis for going on two years now and haven't had any issues with either of them. Guess I got a couple of Razer products that slipped through "quality" control.

#31 defcon won

• PipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

Re: Cyborg RAT models
I've had the 9 (wireless), 7, and now 7 MMO.
The 9 is wireless, coming with 2 batteries, but the battery life is so horrible that it's just not worth it. I had to swap daily.

The 7, same but wired, was excellent.

The 7 MMO is a 7 with many more buttons, also in better locations than the regular 7. Also has a shift button to double the buttons, as well as 3 quick-change profiles, switchable on the mouse. Each mouse button has a lock down button--picture hitting that to keep your machine guns firing w/o having to hold down the button, while you work the other weapon groups. Or, they have a download that will allow you to use those as regular buttons (get that on the website). It does have an adjustable accent light feature, but you can just pick a matching color for the accent lines on the mouse and not have it change with modes. Not a distraction if, like me, you don't care for that kind of thing.
The horizontal wheel also makes a nice throttle.

Simply a brilliant mouse, and highly programmable with the software. All go on sale at Amazon fairly frequently for about $30 off, just keep an eye on it. The MMO version is definitely worth the added cost.

Edited by defcon won, 09 April 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#32 themanwithsauce

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

View Postdefcon won, on 09 April 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Re: Cyborg RAT models
I've had the 9 (wireless), 7, and now 7 MMO.
The 9 is wireless, coming with 2 batteries, but the battery life is so horrible that it's just not worth it. I had to swap daily.

The 7, same but wired, was excellent.

The 7 MMO is a 7 with many more buttons, also in better locations than the regular 7. Also has a shift button to double the buttons, as well as 3 quick-change profiles, switchable on the mouse. Each mouse button has a lock down button--picture hitting that to keep your machine guns firing w/o having to hold down the button, while you work the other weapon groups. Or, they have a download that will allow you to use those as regular buttons (get that on the website). It does have an adjustable accent light feature, but you can just pick a matching color for the accent lines on the mouse and not have it change with modes. Not a distraction if, like me, you don't care for that kind of thing.
The horizontal wheel also makes a nice throttle.

Simply a brilliant mouse, and highly programmable with the software. All go on sale at Amazon fairly frequently for about $30 off, just keep an eye on it. The MMO version is definitely worth the added cost.

Do you need any tools to adjust those mice? They seem like they would be awesome to customize to your hand and everything but the kn0bs (text censor blocks english slang apparently) and adjustments make it seem like a very complicated mouse to own.

Edited by themanwithsauce, 10 April 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#33 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

im pretty sure they have an allen wrench in them

#34 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

why not wireless?

I can't stand wired mice. I figured that for gaming wireless would be the way to go, as to enhance mobility and promote 'freedom.' Regardless of your reasons for why wired is a better way to go, and trust me I don't mean to disrespect your logic because I know that you're all more knowledgable about it than me, but I mostly use my computer for other things than gaming, though having a gaming mouse for under $80 would be a nice upgrade, it just needs to be wireless.

so, that being said, have any wireless gaming mice suggestions for under $80? I prefer claw grip if it matters.

#35 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Anyone here using the Logitech G600 MMO mouse?

i need some reviews of it and does it last long?

my old Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 have died on me

#36 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostCatamount, on 01 April 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

Hey, despite Razer's best apparent efforts, I'm sure one or two decent products *occasionally* slip through their quality control :D

I've had mine for 3 years (Naga) still working flawlessly, with no cosmetic wear and tear, honestly i begin to wonder what people do with them to break them in such a short time.....throwing it at wall's is not exactly conductive to long life.

Razer's actual downfall will be Synapse.

Edited by DV McKenna, 22 April 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#37 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 22 April 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I've had mine for 3 years (Naga) still working flawlessly, with no cosmetic wear and tear, honestly i begin to wonder what people do with them to break them in such a short time.....throwing it at wall's is not exactly conductive to long life.

Razer's actual downfall will be Synapse.

The thing about a company like Razor vs a company like Logitech is that you'll hear lots of good things about Logitech, from lots of people and... that's about it.

You'll also hear lots of good things about Razer products. The difference is that the other 50% of their users will give you utter horror stories, like Sen's replacement of a Razer keyboard SEVEN TIMES, or my Razer Carcharias, which I gave up on three headsets and two months later (these had meticulous care taken of them after the first, mind you).

That's what QC is all about. Razer lets a good produce ship every now and then, but they hardly guarantee that they'll all be good. One is basically rolling the dice on whether they'll get one of the good copies, or 8 of the bad ones in a row.

#38 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostCatamount, on 22 April 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

That's what QC is all about. Razer lets a good produce ship every now and then, but they hardly guarantee that they'll all be good. One is basically rolling the dice on whether they'll get one of the good copies, or 8 of the bad ones in a row.

I'm with you on that. While both of my headsets have worked flawlessly, I recently replaced my Belkin N52TE (bought out by Razer) with the Razer Orbweaver. Even though it is just an updated design the 1st Orbweaver that arrived was flimsy and very poorly built. Just the wieght of my hand resting on it caused it to flex and bend. Thought it was going to break. Sent it back and the next one has been fine, and I actually enjoy it.

So their QC is shoddy even from within like product lines.

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 22 April 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#39 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

Hi,

I've spent literally 10+ hours delving into the "gaming mice" world by reading tons of user feedback and guides from age-old Counterstrike Forums to forums of all the "big names" in gaming mice manufacturers.

What I wanted:
- optical mouse
- corded mouse
- at least 3200 dpi sensitivity, but not higher than 5600
- very comfortable ergonomic design for palm handling (medium sized hand with long fingers)
- adjustable dpi on the fly with easy to reach buttons
- max 50-60 USD
- not Logitech (had a VX Revolution from them, the side buttons either couldn't, or could be configured for games, but simply didn't work/register the button presses, pfft, and the middle button was a horror to push, way too much resistance)

My winner is, what I've been using for 2 months now with great pleasure and success:

Mionix Naos 3200.
http://mionix.net/pr...ts/mionix-3200/

Swedish company, very good, solid design, very very comfortable, even my pinky can rest on it.
Only downside: 3.5mm lift-off distance, which _could be_ too much for someone, but I'm not a mouse-lifter, with a medium sized mouse mat, you don't really need to lift your mouse in MWO.
The optical sensor's "true" dpi is 1600, the max 3200 is "interpolated" (IIRC the term), but for me, for MWO, 1600 is the default, don't need more (or less).
Middle button is a dream come true, very good movement range, excellent sensitivity.

They have newer models as well, if you are looking at laser sensors.

I use a steelseries QCK mouse pad, but the mouse will run on anything, even on my glossy white tabletop, very accurately.

Give it a try if you see it in a shop, ask them if you can try/hold it. Very good price/performance/value ratio.

T

#40 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I'm using Logitech trackballs since I started using a pc back in, uh, last millenium or something. B)

I switched to a M570 some years ago, which is only available as a cordless version unfortunately, but it has two additional buttons compared to the older, wired designs. Additional buttons for the index finger, not the thumb, because it is a thumb operated trackball. :wacko:

No, I don't think that is the reason I'm that bad in MWO. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users