Spider Sdr-5K: Any Viable Ac Builds?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

Bored of useless MGs, I wonder if there are viable autocannon builds for Spider-5K.

I produced some builds that retain maximum mobility while sporting an AC/2 - I feel that otherwise this Spider will be easy prey for other light mechs without any chance to get away. But I need an advice on how many ammo and how much mobility do I need. Engine size is the key factor, because its price is prohibitive for trial and error method of tuning the build.

Slowest build is XL235 with 5 jump jets. 4 tons can be spent on ammo and TAG to make this build more team-friendly.
XL235 - 5Jets - 3Ammo - TAG

There can also be XL245 build with full jump jets complement. It drops either TAG (shown below) or a ton of ammo (not shown). I wonder if two tons of AC ammo could be enough
XL245 - 6Jets - 3Ammo

Fastest possible build is XL255. I have to either to reduce jump jets back to five or drop a half ton of armor if I want to save my 3 tons of ammo. Another possibility is to drop a ton of ammo and raise armor by half a ton.
XL255 - 5 Jets - 3Ammo
XL255 - 6Jets - 3Ammo - Less armor
XL255 - 6Jets - 2Ammo - More armor.

Which of those builds do you think is the best? Currently I think it's XL255 with 5 jets. 2 tons of ammo is a bit restrictive IMO and even if I'll find two tons enough, I can always exchange one for TAG.

#2 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Nope, the 5K is the worse mech! (my opinion!, the ballistic cicada is tied!)

#3 Heavy Metal Boar

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'm with Johnny, the spider was a great idea, until it hit the field. I don't think anything under an AC10 would make this build work, and that gun would require a small xl engine, I would never use an xl170 anywhere else and don't want to throw cbills like that toward a completion variant.

#4 Morang

• 1,259 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

Well, I heard of 5K builds with AC/5 through AC/10, including Ultra and LBX. AC/10 build I read about was essentially a cosplay of Urbanmech with 100 rated engine. Larger guns bring you closer to your target - combined with lower engine rating required to field them, it can be uncomfortable. AC/2 makes me less vulnerable because it's lighter (so I'm faster) and have longer range. It also has a benefit of high projectile velocity. Yes, I'll have to expose myself to dish out DPS, but I'm OK with taking breaks in fusillade after I attracted attention of an assault mech. Or I can just pump DPS into someone who is already heavily engaged with my teammates without having to get into the furball myself.

#5 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Heh, ER Large Laser or Large Pulse is about all you can do with the machine gun spider.

Infuriating to level that variant, truly infuriating.

#6 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

PGI has to either make the mg viable or create a ballistic weapon with 1 ton weight, otherwhise its useless.

#7 BVRCWolf

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNorth West

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have a few kills with my MG spider. You just have to be a smart pilot with it and use your speed.

#8 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

if mgs would be viable you would almost have as much kills as other light mechs

#9 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

You would be infinitely better off/more effective if you were to switch to the 5D, which is far more viable and effective for the spider's role of scouting and directing fire away from your team. Otherwise, many people like to use an LL with the 5K, punch holes, and then use MGs with only 1t/2t of ammo to grind down unarmored parts. MGs are junk against armor, but can be somewhat effective against critical systems.

For my 5D I use this build.
XL255
3ML
12DHS
Endo
Guardian ECM

Check this article out, it might help too.
http://mwomercs.com/...gybuilds-guide/

And here is a smurfy I threw together of a technically viable SDR-5K
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a9b23b0f8fc525

Edited by TheFlyingScotsman, 31 March 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#10 Morang

• 1,259 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 31 March 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

You would be infinitely better off/more effective if you were to switch to the 5D, which is far more viable and effective for the spider's role of scouting and directing fire away from your team. Otherwise, many people like to use an LL with the 5K, punch holes, and then use MGs with only 1t/2t of ammo to grind down unarmored parts. MGs are junk against armor, but can be somewhat effective against critical systems.

For my 5D I use this build.
XL255
3ML
12DHS
Endo
Guardian ECM

Check this article out, it might help too.
http://mwomercs.com/...gybuilds-guide/

And here is a smurfy I threw together of a technically viable SDR-5K
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a9b23b0f8fc525

Thanks, I know that 5D is the best Spider here. I asked about 5K

Also thanks, I know that I can use 5K with MGs. I asked about AC builds.

Also your 5K build is underusing heat sinks. Large Laser should be ER here.

#11 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 31 March 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Heh, ER Large Laser or Large Pulse is about all you can do with the machine gun spider.

Infuriating to level that variant, truly infuriating.

I'm a big fan of the Large Pulse on it- you can chew a mech's rear armor pretty quickly with it. ER Large with machine guns is fun to run, too. However, the 5V can do everything the 5k can if you're lasering, and has the option to roll 2 medium pulse, and more JJ's.

If you are going to run an AC spider, I would cut speed (speed hurts aiming with ballistics), JJ's and armor and go for an AC5. I tried a UAC5 and got two kills, but I ran out of ammo -real- quick.

Lolzy build: LBX10, 1 ton ammo and 1 small laser.

#12 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Don't spend a lot on it, level it during double XP weekend and then sell the stinker. If you can get away with not paying for double heat sinks, do it.

I played Cicada 3M with 4ML + AC2. The AC2 had 2T ammo which allowed for a bit over 75s of continuous fire.
That was plenty because I mostly spend the AC pounding onto back armor of assault mechs (while standing still!) and lasers for shooting while on the run. Hitting with the AC on the run was kinda useless because you could put about one shot into the enemy and then your stream would stray. A 10 point running PPC shot is useful. A 2 point AC is useless until you can get a bead on something.

The standing still was risky in 35T mech... pretty suicidal in a Spider.

Also, I saw very tangible evidence that the AC2 has a firing rate of 0.5sec + double your ping. For me that was a 33% drop in DPS. (People would measure the time to use up a ton of ammo in training grounds and then on a live server... the ammo would last way too long on a live server... i.e. the fire rate is less than advertised)

Edited by ElLocoMarko, 31 March 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#13 E_Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSPAAAAAACE!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

I got bored, and made this- ES, no JJ, 2x A/C2's w/ two tons of ammo,
and a standard 110 engine. I maxed out the armor except arms and legs, each arm got 17, each leg 23.

I was reeeeeeaally bored....

#14 VaudeVillain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

I did my 3025 SDR-5K with an AC/5, 2 toms ammo, and a Small Laser and I usually aim at the center torso. The AC/5 being mounted in the arms makes it easier to keep on target with the torso, just be sure you can hit. I've killed other lights with just those 2 weapons, but 60 rounds of AC/5 ammo seem to run out quickly.

#15 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

this is like the 3rd or 4th time ive posted this now but anyway;

My build has speed and dakadaka for scouting and sniping

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 18 May 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I have a 5k build that I think works, well for me at least. Others may think I am crazy but whatever

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...633a659fed98b8a

Basically 1 ac2 with 4 tons ammo, 1ml, 2 jj, 139kph. Mastered with 3 modules- adv zoom, capture, adv sensor range.

Playstyle
-I run only conquest
-Cap when I can
-Try to keep at range for the first half of matches
-If I see a target in the distance I go rambo with my ac2
-Almost impossible to overheat.

Its got commando level armor, its ammo dependent, aim dependent, low jump height, most of the firepower in a easy to blow off arm, But it still runs at 139kph and its Very suicidal but I LOVE it.

Only been running it for a day, been having a blast. Best match so far was an alpine conquest, 2 kills 4 assists 272 damage. But im sure I can have better random luck.

If you know how to aim that ac2 from far and up close you can do well. Nowdays I would drop the adv sensor range for the new adv seismic sensor.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 11 June 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#16 Ninjamoose

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts
  • LocationProbably in front of my computer.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm a fan of this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d577ee5cf8a68f5

Got me through my 5K, and made me hold onto it for quite a while. You could even substitute the AC/5 with a AC/2 and add on more armor, jump jets, etc.

#17 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have seen the 5K mount a mighty GAUSS rifle before.. :ph34r:

#18 ATM87

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

Personally I run an LB 10X ac, two tons of ammo, a 100 engine, two jump jets, and a small laser.

I average about 150 damage with it, although I haven't mastered it yet.

I've been getting better piloting it anyway.

It's as close as possible to an urbanmech, and holds a special place in my heart because of it.

#19 Doranut

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Not directly related to your topic, as I play with MGs, but MGs have a very viable purpose (especially in PUGS). MGs herd the stupids where you want.

I average about 200 damage per match in my 5k, have a .61 kdr (it's bad I know, but not terrible for a mech where I'm not focused on getting kills and using it to troll), and a 1.45 w/l ratio. Best match I killed 2 undamaged atlases (one while legged, headshots ftw).

Base build I use includes 4 mgs and a large laser. Only one ton of mg ammo, but it's enough to get people's attention.

Basically I scout, harass, and try and annoy stragglers till they turn and face me. Stupid players aren't much of a threat on their own, but they still contribute when they're grouped up with good players. By pulling them out of the pack I'm giving my team an advantage in the main scrum. I can keep a couple stupids occupied trying to turn around in their big ole boats while I dance in between them doing damage to their backs. Capping or threatening caps is another way to **** off the stupids. That atlas will get back to their home base someday I'm sure, keep runnin buddy.

I've tried the same thing with the 5d and it just doesn't bother the stupids as much. Machine guns drive them nuts. Maybe it's the sound, I dunno. But for what I'm using my spider for it's machine guns or go home.

And god bless the stupids, they make me love the 5k.

#20 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

Morang, I too was disappointed with the 5k spider. After some tweaking, I came up with this version. Xl 255 engine, FF, ES, 2JJ, 10 DHS, max armour
1ER Large Laser, 3MGS, 1 ton MG Ammo, 1 AMS, 1 ton Ammo

Main thought here is to snipe until a targets gets red. Then go blow a component off with MGS. I can,t stress enough to have AMS on this mech or LRM Boats will eat you. If you fight a battle and you have MG ammo left then you are playing it wrong.
Against lights especially the Jenners you will have problems, but you will do well against raven 3Ls and commandos with streaks. Main thing is to unlock arms so you can hit more targets as you run by them.
Personally, I found the 5V worst to get to Elite. It has best move ability but crap for weapons. There is some psychological problem most pilots can't stand MGs buzzing around them . With component damage and capping and savior kills you can do rather well in this Mech.
Something about playing this Mech with hardly no Armour just to have a AC 2 that will run out of ammo very fast is not appealing to me. Try this variant you grow to like it, but good luck with the 5V.

Morang, I too was disappointed with the 5k spider. After some tweaking, I came up with this version. Xl 255 engine, FF, ES, 2JJ, 10 DHS, max armour
1ER Large Laser, 3MGS, 1 ton MG Ammo, 1 AMS, 1 ton Ammo

Main thought here is to snipe until a targets gets red. Then go blow a component off with MGS. I can,t stress enough to have AMS on this mech or LRM Boats will eat you. If you fight a battle and you have MG ammo left then you are playing it wrong.
Against lights especially the Jenners you will have problems, but you will do well against raven 3Ls and commandos with streaks. Main thing is to unlock arms so you can hit more targets as you run by them.
Personally, I found the 5V worst to get to Elite. It has best move ability but crap for weapons. There is some psychological problem most pilots can't stand MGs buzzing around them . With component damage and capping and savior kills you can do rather well in this Mech.
Something about playing this Mech with hardly no Armour just to have a AC 2 that will run out of ammo very fast is not appealing to me. Try this variant you grow to like it, but good luck with the 5V.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users