PvP vs. PvE Poll

116 replies to this topic

Poll: PvP vs. PvE (352 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you want to play MWO, PvP or PvE?

1. PvP (261 votes [74.15%])

Percentage of vote: 74.15%

2. PvE (91 votes [25.85%])

Percentage of vote: 25.85%

If MWO never has PvE will you quit playing?

1. Yes (48 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. No (304 votes [86.36%])

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

Would you pay money to have a PvE element to MWO?

1. Yes (171 votes [48.58%])

Percentage of vote: 48.58%

2. No (181 votes [51.42%])

Percentage of vote: 51.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

PvE would be nice to have, but nothing essential. On the other hand it requires you to open the whole can of worms regarding balancing abilities/weapons in PvE and PvP at the same time. Of course it can be done, but it requires even more resources to do it properly.

If the devs think they have the manpower to spare, I'd be grateful. But the paradigm should be do it or don't do it. If you coul only cobble some stopgap together, you shouldn't do it.

#102 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

I've seen this kind of stuff on EVERY MMO to come out since EverQuest. The PvP'ers with their doom and gloom about how PvE ruins their games. PvE'ers with their Doom and Gloom about how they get nerfed cuz of PvP.

It's ok to like PvE.

It's ok to like PvP.

Nobody is a /bad person/ for wanting one over the other, or for wanting both.

To much knee jerk BS about how PvE ruins PvP and vice versa.

#103 Jayboltz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Dude TORtanic was a horrible game. It barely had anything to do with the original starwars and it felt just like WoW. The game is dying, I read theyre considering making it F2P somewhere. It's just another failed MMO like all that have come after WoW.

#104 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostJayboltz, on 03 June 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Dude TORtanic was a horrible game. It barely had anything to do with the original starwars and it felt just like WoW. The game is dying, I read theyre considering making it F2P somewhere. It's just another failed MMO like all that have come after WoW.

You're smoking serious crack.

TOR /still/ has 1.3 million subscribers, that is hardly a failure. It's not even remotely going F2P.

Just because /you/ don't like the game doesn't make it suck. I can't stand Minecraft, yet a lot of people think it's frikken awesome.

Opinions vary and all but that's no excuse for inflamatory remarks.

#105 Jayboltz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

It's dropped 400k subscribers since the beginning of the year, that's quite a chunk in a very short amount of time so soon after its release...

#106 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostRot Wulf, on 03 June 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Um and where did you get I have not played in leagues..... I don't think I have stated that anywhere. I have played in past Mechwarrior games that added mechanics and re-balanced mech weapons and mechlabs in ways that were/are not Canon. The PGI guys have said they are aiming far closer to canon rules (TT) than previous games.

Being an active SWTOR gamer and reading all the press about what happened in Austin TX. They fired the QA team that failed at their job in finding bugs, and have or are hiring right now their replacements. They fired the PR types that were not posting to their forums and keeping their players in the loop, and have or are hiring right now their replacements. They fired the graphics artists who designed the Samurai Jedi PVP armor, which has been blasted by the player base, and have or are hiring their replacements right now. They have over 1 million subscribers, and too many servers, but still have more than 10x the number of forum members MWO have today. For the information on hiring look at Bioware's website under hiring, much has been said about the demise of SWTOR, but it is still solidly in the top 10 ptp mmorpgs in the world. Yup they fired a bunch of screw ups they should have fired before launch, but hey at least they are firing screw ups.

Back on subject, I personally look forward to MWO's PVP. I have friends I enjoy playing with who HATE PVP (also have some that HATE PVE), and I like to be able to play a game with all my friends. I love the story behind Battletech, played it since I was very young. Helped me learn a love of math.

ok you never mention you were in any and the way you were talkin sounded like you hadnt. Any of them stock leagues?
You are saying that they arent losing paying customers hand over fist? ok if you say so.....
glad an ongoing game has more forum subcribers than one thats not active yet.

I disagree that both can be equally well done. Other than that hope to show you on your
Clan vs IS theory on the field:) S~

#107 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostDerMaulwurf, on 03 June 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

PvE would be nice to have, but nothing essential. On the other hand it requires you to open the whole can of worms regarding balancing abilities/weapons in PvE and PvP at the same time. Of course it can be done, but it requires even more resources to do it properly.

If the devs think they have the manpower to spare, I'd be grateful. But the paradigm should be do it or don't do it. If you coul only cobble some stopgap together, you shouldn't do it.

Yes this. In development it is too late now to add pve for launch, it could not be done right. I like the noises PGI is making about a future.

I am not sure about balancing if the stock mechs and variants are balanced. The problem would be a decent AI for controlling the mechs and a system to generate matches so the same match doesn't take place over and over. That makes even hard core PVE'rs nuts, and a PVP'r crawl right up the walls. Some kind of point/value system could be employed with a decent enough AI to make this work.

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 03 June 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

TOR /still/ has 1.3 million subscribers, that is hardly a failure. It's not even remotely going F2P.

Just because /you/ don't like the game doesn't make it suck. I can't stand Minecraft, yet a lot of people think it's frikken awesome.

Yup this ^

No game with 500k+ subscribers is looking at going FTP, much less 1M+, too much risk of loosing ground on the monthly take.

#108 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 03 June 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

I hated minecraft, I got into arguements over it, even with my bestfriend who plays it. But then I tried it, and I dont hate it. My arguement was always "it looks like a 2 year-old made it". But I'm not going to start preaching about it. I just like building things and being creative.

BUT ANYWHO....

NO I would NOT pay for PVE, I would play PVE, but it would not be a reason for me to play, I enjoy playing real people. I would like it if somehow PVE were implemented, maybe mixed in like when the clans invade have random AI characters with people. or PVE in the sense of I'd like to see, on maps where it would be warranted, planetary defense forces of armored units and a few mechs.

#109 ygalion

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

I will be honest. I am tired from those free games- LOL, all those shooters and more. All those games are full with bad players, hard to find good games, game developers create this games for money and fame, not for gamers, all that is commercial stuff, i really hope that mechwarrior will be different, it is first mecha game for such long tome. Some player vs enemy could help stay for playing, maybe even some campaign later as add-on, cause for first year this game will be anyway exciting but next, it all depends on developers, i hope they understand that people are tired from linear games, they want something special, something where player can feel comfortable.

#110 pied

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

The only thing PvE I would care to see would be along the lines of a shooting range that posted results of accuracy and time spent on the exercise.

#111 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostArafinar, on 03 June 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

ok you never mention you were in any and the way you were talkin sounded like you hadnt. Any of them stock leagues?
You are saying that they arent losing paying customers hand over fist? ok if you say so.....
glad an ongoing game has more forum subcribers than one thats not active yet.

I disagree that both can be equally well done. Other than that hope to show you on your
Clan vs IS theory on the field:) S~

No MMO will ever be loved by everyone who tries it, even WOW has churn. There was a lot of buzz around SWTORs launch, it would have been a miracle if they had retention of or even at Industry norm. Look at rift 2.5 million sold 200k retention (no ftp plans there either, its making money as it is). What percentage do you think MWO will retain who try or even buy that keep playing in 6-18 months? It wont be 100%, it NEVER is. Number of players matters as does attention prior to launch, we have 130k on the forums today, not the 1 million SWTOR had prior to launch. So lets say for arguments sake that MWO launches with 450K-500K, how many will drop who don't know what's in the box? How many will expect PVE and be disapointed? How many will expect the clans and be disapointed? (Wherez is my MAD CATZ!!!! I Quitz will be said on the forums with in one month of launch)

As a computer scientist in the industry, there is no making everyone happy. PR buzz matters.... all those SWTORtanic articles in the news... ya that's why so many of the PR types got canned. The software flaws that were allowed to go live sure didn't help Bioware's case to their players.

It's no hope, it's no theory, equal skill pilots, in equal weight mechs with equal tactical and strategic skills will loose clan vs IS 3050 tech. More armor, speed, firepower per ton will win every time. IS 3050 pilots simply must be better to compete with clan tech. I take that date very carefully, the only mechwarrior game that covers that period of time is 2. The IS developed many weapons included in MW 3/4 years after this time period, to help level the field. The thing is these technologies were not in play for the IS in February 3050.

#112 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostRot Wulf, on 03 June 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

No MMO will ever be loved by everyone who tries it, even WOW has churn. There was a lot of buzz around SWTORs launch, it would have been a miracle if they had retention of or even at Industry norm. Look at rift 2.5 million sold 200k retention (no ftp plans there either, its making money as it is). What percentage do you think MWO will retain who try or even buy that keep playing in 6-18 months? It wont be 100%, it NEVER is. Number of players matters as does attention prior to launch, we have 130k on the forums today, not the 1 million SWTOR had prior to launch. So lets say for arguments sake that MWO launches with 450K-500K, how many will drop who don't know what's in the box? How many will expect PVE and be disapointed? How many will expect the clans and be disapointed? (Wherez is my MAD CATZ!!!! I Quitz will be said on the forums with in one month of launch)

As a computer scientist in the industry, there is no making everyone happy. PR buzz matters.... all those SWTORtanic articles in the news... ya that's why so many of the PR types got canned. The software flaws that were allowed to go live sure didn't help Bioware's case to their players.

It's no hope, it's no theory, equal skill pilots, in equal weight mechs with equal tactical and strategic skills will loose clan vs IS 3050 tech. More armor, speed, firepower per ton will win every time. IS 3050 pilots simply must be better to compete with clan tech. I take that date very carefully, the only mechwarrior game that covers that period of time is 2. The IS developed many weapons included in MW 3/4 years after this time period, to help level the field. The thing is these technologies were not in play for the IS in February 3050.

These are very good insights into an area that most of us do not have your level of experience with. Thanks for sharing!

#113 Warskull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Here is what I hope

1) Piranha over time develops some basic AI for mechs. For things like a basic testing mission where you play vs AI to test your loadout. This can expand into a co-op vs AI practice mode.

2) As the AI improves they start borrowing assets from MWO to make a standalone Mercenaries styie single player game. To prevent competition with MWO this game could be co-op only.

#114 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postygalion, on 03 June 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

I will be honest. I am tired from those free games- LOL, all those shooters and more. All those games are full with bad players, hard to find good games, game developers create this games for money and fame, not for gamers, all that is commercial stuff, i really hope that mechwarrior will be different, it is first mecha game for such long tome. Some player vs enemy could help stay for playing, maybe even some campaign later as add-on, cause for first year this game will be anyway exciting but next, it all depends on developers, i hope they understand that people are tired from linear games, they want something special, something where player can feel comfortable.

every game has its fair share of "bad-gamers", and fame generates more players, and money generates the ability for the devs to expand upon their creation. so the devs will be getting money from probably a large amount of players, myself included.

#115 Desert Panther

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

PvP only games don't last very long. Why MWO needs PvE:

1. MWO - is a niche game.
2. Most of MWO players will consist of the fans of the series
3. PvP only may be hectic and annoying at times, needs a "buffer".
etc

In other words games with limited player base have very high risk chance if they only do PvP part. You can easily compare this to FPS games except with much more limited player base due to game's nature, type and genre. FPS games only last if they are updated on regular bases, new maps released etc. And player base shrinks on regular bases. Starting with already limited player base due to game's nature in a few months Piranha will run out of money to create new content.

So yeah, PvE is necessary, otherwise MWO will be like FPS game. Blow out in the beginning, then week after week less and less players will be left until the number will be so small that there won't be enough purchases done on the cash store to support the game any longer. PvE would be a nice buffer to spread population and invite people who may like the battle-tech genre but may not be avid PvP fans.

#116 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

I always played thru every campaign that other mechwarrior games had. It was fun. But mostly I want to pvp so if MWO never had PvE it wouldn't be a gamebreaker for me.

#117 DarkVoidBoy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 02 June 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

QUESTION #1: Question 1 is specifically intended measure ONLY PvP vs. PvE motivation and that is exactly what it does. Every player is one or the other no matter what other motivations they have for playing.

This is a false premise, although a common one. For many game genres, I enjoy well-done PvP, and I enjoy well-done PVE. What often makes it an either/or proposition for any given game, for me, is due to the specific implementation quality and details in that game. It does NOT affect my *motivation* for good PVP or for good PVE. It just hasn't been implemented equally well in that game.

This question could not be worded any better to measure between ONLY the two motivations and it purposely does not have a both option for that very reason.The only purpose of the question is to determine the primary motivation of most MWO players between the choices of PvP and PvE...nothing more and nothing less.

Actually, it could be worded better. "If you had to choose..." and "Chose the one that fits best..." would make that better worded.

This poll is ONLY for the purpose of comparing PvP vs. PvE as a motivator to play MWO. While I am aware that there are many other possible motivations for playing MWO this poll is only designed to measure PvP vs. PvE. Please choose the answer that best fits your motivation.

You absolutely do get full credit for that. It would have been even more helpful in the poll itself.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users