Severe Temperature Issues.

70 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowrunner

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

First, let me preface this with, yes, I know my computer is older. I get it. It does however run MWO at max settings without a hitch.. so there's no complaints there...

My problem comes from the extreme temperatures simply being in the MECHLAB causes my video card to run at... The card I initially started playing MWO on was a XFX HD 6770 1GB... could run on Med settings.. temperature of GPU while sitting idle in the Mechlab: Between 140-150 degrees F.... not in game.. just mechlab... well, that card crapped out.. major thermal paste failure (232 degrees was the final reading when i did a hard shutdown, not in MWO)

Got a new card.. Asus HD 7770 2GB... Max settings.. no lag... temperature while sitting idle in mechlab: 145F.... I can run Crysis 3, max settings.... 120-130F... and that's during gameplay..

So, my deduction after my "extensive testing" shows that MWO's "lobby" gobbles vast amounts of graphical resources while just sitting there idle...

(oh, my CPU runs at around 100F in the lobby.. which is a whopping 5-6 degrees above idle.. so it's not my case or airflow)

Help me understand this please!

#2 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

thats normal. 120F is about 50C, normal. most cards can go up to 100C max i believe. what are your temps during actual play time with mwo? have you tried adjusting your fans settings? i adjust my fan settings so that they are at 100% when my card reaches 70C. computer hardware is normally monitored in celsius. i play at around 50C, but i have 6 120mm case fans aswell.

right now im in mechlab idle at around 44C.

Edited by Aznpersuasion89, 01 April 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#3 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yes, for starters, OP please give temperatures in Centigrade from now on. It's the standard for computer hardware (well, and all science and engineering basically :( ), so it will simply make it much easier to understand and address your problems (without having to scurry over to Google's unit converter ;) )

For the most part, your temps in the Mechlab sound fine. 232F, or 111C is a rather alarming temperature. That can cause fairly quick damage to a graphics card. 55C (~130F), on the other hand, is nothing to be concerned about. The generally-accepted maximum safe temperature for a GPU is anything <90C, so even running at 85C, while not great, is not a cause for concern about hardware failure. Even the low 90s isn't a temperature that will harm a GPU immediately, and I've seen laptop GPUs that get that hot. It's just that the further one goes past that approximate threshold, the quicker they start reducing the life of the part.

In short, as long as you're not passing 90C in the mechlab, you're fine. Your 6770 did and that's bad, but if the 7770 doesn't, then don't worry about it. I just spent 5 minutes in the mechlab looking at how hot my 7970 got, and it gets up to 52C (with a 25-30% GPU load)

#4 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Asus gtx660ti dc2o here. Idles in lab around 40-45 and in game since I upgraded my cases 140 fqns and added anuther 120 I've yet to break 56 in game. Before upgrade to fans my idle was 45-50 Even before changing the fans id never break 65 in game.

#5 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

ShadowR, do you have VSync disabled by any chance?

If so, turn it back on and your temperature problem in the mechlab will probably go away.

#6 Eternal Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

same here, i got almost same temp in mechlab as in game - same for atleast last 3 patches and 4 gfx drivers (gtx 580), so gotta be the game.
Vsync is on - no difference.

#7 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Your current temps are nothing to worry about. As others have said, use Degrees Centigrade.

I wouldnt start worrying about ur temps till ustart reaching in the high 80c.

Personaly i have my GPU set to stay at 75c max (using a custom fan profile it stops it going any higher by ramping up the fans)

Software will never be the route cause of overheating hardware, As hardware is designed to run 24/7 at max load.
The cause for overheating will almost always be one of the following.
1)Faulty hardware (heatsink, fan, voltage regulation)
2) Dust/dirty fan/heatsink
3) Poor/restricted airflow
4) Bad thermal paste application.

2nd and 3rd are caused by and can be fixed by the user.
1st and 4th will be down to the manufactuer but 4th can be fixed by user easyily with new thermal paste, and 1st can also if ur willing to buy a new cooling system for the GPU..but most just RMA since its a manufacture fault.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 04 April 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#8 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Just to emphasis the point others are making, I use SLI titans and they are configure to run at 80 C by Nvidia. If they're running at under that temperature the Turbo Boost 2.0 software ramps up performance until they do. 55 C is perfectly fine for any even semi modern GPU.

#9 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostRemarius, on 04 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Just to emphasis the point others are making, I use SLI titans and they are configure to run at 80 C by Nvidia. If they're running at under that temperature the Turbo Boost 2.0 software ramps up performance until they do. 55 C is perfectly fine for any even semi modern GPU.

You have SLI'd Titans?

umm, Wow.

I use an arctic cooling after market for my GPU (GTX560 Ti fermi SC) and an antec 620 for the CPU (nothing over 49 deg C at load on either component. Your temps are okay as long as you have enough air running through the case (I use the Antec 900)

#10 Eternal Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

The issue i see, is that the game uses way too much gpu power in mechlab - which should not really be needed.

#11 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

If you are overclocking anything, step down the voltage if you can. Otherwise, your case probably has poor airflow, you need a fan in the front, pulling air in and one in the back pulling aire out; a fan on top of the case, pulling air out is good too. Also, sometimes video card manufacturers do not put the correct amount of heatsink compound under the heatsink/fan assemblies. Also, running with one of the sides off of your case does not improve airflow over the components, it actually negates any benefits you get from having fans.

#12 Shadowrunner

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostEternal Hunter, on 05 April 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

The issue i see, is that the game uses way too much gpu power in mechlab - which should not really be needed.

This... this is my exact issue. MY temps are fine with everything else.. and i'm okay with it running 50-55C under load... I get it, these things run hot (i literally have to open windows in my bedroom from the heat output of my GPU) My airflow and fan configuration isn't an issue (as my non-liquid cooled CPU stays at a balmy 34-35C while sitting in Mechlab) Simply having mechlab open, (according to my temp monitoring software) puts my GPU under a 50-60%load... Gameplay on Crysis3 barely goes above that...

#13 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thing is , what we r trying to point out. 55c isnt hot. Infact thats rather cool.

Depending on the make/model of a chip (like the CPU) the temps will run anywhere from 50c to 80c underload.

Most AMD cpu's run cooler than Intel latest 50-60c vs 60-70c repsectivly.(stock)
GPU's 'generaly' run hotter than CPU's anywhere from 60c to 85c on average.
If ur Asus 7770 is the Direct CU, then 50c to mid 60c's under load is normal..and ,compared to other models, is cool.

As for Crysis 3 and ur 7770 ..that should be maxed out unless ur running the lowest settings possible and low resoltuion stairing at a wall. Crysis 3 can max out a Single GTX Titan, hell it takes 2 GTX titans just to keep Crysis 3 around 60fps at 1080p on FULL ultra details AA included. The only other epxlanation of ur low GPU usuage in Crysis 3 would be some major bottleneck from ur CPU.

Should it really take 50% usuage for the mech bay? ..no ...does it matter ? ..no.

#14 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Remember that sitting in the mechbay has you rendering the selected mech, lighting, etc. A lot of games that have landings / lobbies with fully rendered scenes (instead of static images) can have issues like this, though it isn't a problem if it is just loading your card ~50%.

SC2 had a huge problem when it was new where it would max-out video cards just sitting at the loading screen, and it caused a lot of problems for people with laptops and other low-airflow systems (burned out cards, etc). Technically none of that was SC2's fault - it was really improperly built systems that couldn't handle the heat of their own components, but it caused quite a stir.

#15 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 05 April 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Thing is , what we r trying to point out. 55c isnt hot. Infact thats rather cool.

Exactly, my 7970 hits high 80'ties under full load. Sitting here on idle browsing forums, it's at 51'c.

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 05 April 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#16 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 04 April 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

You have SLI'd Titans?

umm, Wow.

I use an arctic cooling after market for my GPU (GTX560 Ti fermi SC) and an antec 620 for the CPU (nothing over 49 deg C at load on either component. Your temps are okay as long as you have enough air running through the case (I use the Antec 900)

It's not that uncommon, Titan had a fairly good uptake.
Even i have one ;)

#17 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Mmmm, Titans... I get to play with them, and sell them, but for my gaming I can't justify the price... but man, if you are playing on multi-screens or at high resolutions... they are NICE...

#18 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Prior to their launch (even b4 we knew what they were) i had planned on buying 1 myself and a second a few months later. I even planned for the price to be about 35% more than a current high end factory OC'd 4gb 680. Alass Nvidia really went overboard on the price, ruining my plans lol. Im now waiting on the 780 , or maybe a Titan if the price comes down. I can afford one, i just cant justify the price for what peformance it gives..ill spend alot of money on my rig ..but i wont let myself be ripped off.

Still ...cant keep waiting on GPU's ..my rig is so unbalanced performance wise atm.. got a £475 CPU and a £180 GPU :)

#19 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 05 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

It's not that uncommon, Titan had a fairly good uptake.
Even i have one ;)

mongo sad....only have 560 Ti SC....

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 06 April 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#20 AnvilSeven

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm also running into a heat issue...I think. I've only noticed it in the last couple weeks, not prior. I have an m18x with 2 580m 2gb cards I run in sli and 16gb ram. I can play two, maybe three games and then everything goes all choppy on me, very sluggish. As soon as I hit Escape, the mouse moves fine, no lag, but the menu buttons lag a little. I can exit right away and boot up any other game, Planet side 2 perhaps, and it runs fine, no lag or sluggishness at all. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users