Magnetometer - An Armor Density Hud Overlay Vision Enhancement

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Magnetometer Cool idea or not? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Would You like a modular magnetometer?

1. Yes (34 votes [87.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.18%

2. Np (2 votes [5.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

3. Abstain (3 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Ideally this would be a modular vision enhancement.

Where The older Heat vision would show hotter things with different color gradiants... The MAGNETOMETER would show Things MORE Armored with color gradients. This could be used both to detect metal from in organic objects and to determine the strength of armor in a location of a mech.

Edited by ManDaisy, 03 April 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#2 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

OMG so many big words! this must be awesome.

supposedly they were going to add another vision mode that revealed magnetic fields. mechs with gauss rifles would glow very brightly on the field and probably anything with ECM or PPC.

#3 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Give us a mag-scan module, definitely. That was confirmed as on the table, but that was so long ago that things very well could have changed. Personally I'd prefer if it had some functionality to detect big metal objects close to you even if you didn't have line of sight. Some aerospace fighters used their magnetic anomaly detectors to find a hidden dropship in one of the novels, but I forget which one. Your idea, being able to perceive armor damage at a glance, is good too.

Bottom line: more vision modes is a good idea in general and a magnetometer is a good idea specifically.

#4 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

A Magnetometer Module! yes please, this could add a whole new dimension to the sniper role; a way to get around ECM and battlefield fog / viewing range issues. If this was available I would even consider swapping out the BAP for it.

I'm not sure about the implications reference lore, but I for one am all for it.

#5 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

It is canon so bring it!
Seriously. I want it, might be near useless in river city, but on alpine.... :D

Same goes for compressed 360-display,

Seismic sensors ( yeah..try to hide your Atlas behind buildings.. won´t help you :) )

#6 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

Add magnetometer? Yes! As, a module? NO! Simply add it as another vision mode. My vote is Abstain.

Edit: Every new feature mustn't be a module. :D

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 04 April 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#7 Klaa

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Oooo me likkie

#8 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

MAD Scan mad visual?
YES...but bot only for armor...as said...the bigger the target the bigger the engine the bigger the signature...
(so a slow moving commando will be not visual at 700m in this mode...but a Gauszilla running with 80kph and duno how many tons will shine as bright as the sun at ranges beyond 1500m)

#9 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 05 April 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

(so a slow moving commando will be not visual at 700m in this mode...but a Gauszilla running with 80kph and duno how many tons will shine as bright as the sun at ranges beyond 1500m)

Yeah, but a fast moving COM wouldalso shine brightly, admitedly less then an assault with dualgauss, but still. And let´s face it: Whenis a commando movin slowly?

#10 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

As long as its a shorter range so it isn't like the old thermal view im all for it.

#11 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

one of the primary sensors of classic BT is the Magnetic Anomoly Detector (MAD) the same thing the navy uses to hunt hinding submarines...it fubctions as a kind of passive area effect spotting larger masses of metal. and especially running Poerplants/gauss weapons...This is the sensor that shutdown is actually supposed to fool. mad is a low resolution thing and wouldn't give much detail.

Thermal would be the sensor for that...I agree with the dial back on the range of TI but they need to put the detail back

I voted no because the precision of weapons is already out of balance and far far out of scale to the mech design realitie
s

Edited by MasterErrant, 16 April 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#12 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

This would be wonderful, and it would introduce some dynamics between different environments.
For example:
an asteroid would probably make this mode near-useless, as most asteroids are largely metallic in nature. (Not all, but most.)
It wouldn't be very effective in city maps or maps with large deposits of metals, but it would be beautiful on Tourmaline and Alpine.

And I really, REALLY don't want this to be a module. But if it's a choice between not having it, and having it in module form, I'll take the module.

#13 Donas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 416 posts
  • Locationon yet another world looking for a Bar and Grill

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 04 April 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

Add magnetometer? Yes! As, a module? NO! Simply add it as another vision mode. My vote is Abstain.

Edit: Every new feature mustn't be a module. ;)

How about this, make ALL of the vision modes a free module that assigns to 2 unique vision slots, and let the player pick what 2 they'd like on their mech in addition to normal optics. (seismic, thermal, xtended zoom, magneto, light amplification etc etc) You could have tons of supplemental vision modes introduced that way, and they players would get further customizability.

#14 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostDonas, on 16 April 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

How about this, make ALL of the vision modes a free module that assigns to 2 unique vision slots, and let the player pick what 2 they'd like on their mech in addition to normal optics. (seismic, thermal, xtended zoom, magneto, light amplification etc etc) You could have tons of supplemental vision modes introduced that way, and they players would get further customizability.

Nah, I think the two vision modes, basic FLIR thermal and Night Vision, should come standard and free on all Battlemechs.

Having other additional vision modes should be included as modules, like advanced thermal (color coded but still with range limits), Magnetometer, Seismometer, and other vision modes. This adds more choices to the module tree.

This is also something I hope they do to the Pilot/Mech XP system but only allowed a limited number of XP skills to be equipped. I know the system is in line for an update and this is what I had in mind, having more choices, instead of just a pool to grind.

#15 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

I remember reading something about MagVis back in closed beta...

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users