62 replies to this topic

#21 Kiryn

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

I agree with the OP that the Highlander is the most fun assault to play, altho my wrecking ball brawler Atlas D-DC is a blast (all puns intended). I disagree and don't think it needs an XL330, in fact the build you mention will fit with a standard 330, or standard 320, losing 2 KPH total if you need more Cooling Efficiency.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9df52d8bf1a2d54

One of the builds I use is very similar but I use SRM4's, because i don't like Streaks.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...663335031ac2cdc

The only time I mount XL engine is when trying to get larger weapons mounted, I found a 3 LLas and Gauss build that works well with the XL 330 because you can keep your distance and poptart to get shots at mid range or support your brawlers as a 2nd line of defense.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9243cf271fcb961

All fun builds, I know others like guass and PPC's or LRM's etc, but those builds fit my playstyle.

I

Edited by Kiryn, 04 April 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#22 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Survivable

Posted Image

Lethal

Posted Image

#23 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostLyoncet, on 03 April 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Those other versions will probably better support poptarting, assuming that's really what you're set on.

Perhaps, though I'm not really a fan of pop-tarting. It works - right up until you're noticed. Then, the enemy team circles the ridge from all sides (if possible) and kills you. Or, they all slam you with shots the moment you pop over the hill. IMHO, the bigger the mech, the more potential is being wasted pop-tarting. A beast like the Highlander should be wading into battle, dishing out damage, and hopping over obstacles and enemy mechs to assure it's ability to hammer the enemy vs. hiding behind a hill, taking shots with a gauss rifle. That's just my opinion, of course.

#24 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

@Kiryn
If you take the SRM ammo out of your head in the XL330 build, you can add an extra DHS or max your leg armor.

#25 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Lots of good points and ideas going around this thread. I made a few revisions and am having fun with my slightly adjusted build. I just hope the server stability fix comes soon, as right now every game is only about 4-8fps instead of 30. :)

As far as the whole XL thing goes, the point I was trying to make is that the XL doesn't affect survivability in any signifigant way, because most HGN deaths are from CT coring and legging anyway. My original build used a STD330 and then an STD300, but I never even once lost a side torso, and it just wasn't worth the weight. There really is no reason other than the potential risk of gauss rifle explosions not to take an XL on the HM, at least in my personal experiences.

Anywho, this is a pretty standard approach for my mechs. I am considering dropping the Gauss for an AC10 until the FPS stuff is gone. I have had a couple gauss-caused deaths lately. :3
XL330
Gauss (3t) 2ASRM4 (2t) 3ML
15DHS 1.51 HE
5/5JJ

Edited by TheFlyingScotsman, 04 April 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#26 Kiryn

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostNRP, on 04 April 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

@Kiryn
If you take the SRM ammo out of your head in the XL330 build, you can add an extra DHS or max your leg armor.

Yea I was in a hurry apparently and missed that, updating now. For the record I don't leave the ammo in there lol. In fact I don't leave the ammo in the legs either, legs in the Highlander seem to be a popular target.

Edited by Kiryn, 04 April 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#27 Kiryn

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 04 April 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

Lots of good points and ideas going around this thread. I made a few revisions and am having fun with my slightly adjusted build. I just hope the server stability fix comes soon, as right now every game is only about 4-8fps instead of 30. :)

As far as the whole XL thing goes, the point I was trying to make is that the XL doesn't affect survivability in any signifigant way, because most HGN deaths are from CT coring and legging anyway. My original build used a STD330 and then an STD300, but I never even once lost a side torso, and it just wasn't worth the weight. There really is no reason other than the potential risk of gauss rifle explosions not to take an XL on the HM, at least in my personal experiences.

Anywho, this is a pretty standard approach for my mechs. I am considering dropping the Gauss for an AC10 until the FPS stuff is gone. I have had a couple gauss-caused deaths lately. :3
XL330
15DHS 1.51 HE
5/5JJ

I've had different experience, maybe I'm not as good at rolling my damage, I'm definately not pro, my kdr is just a little above average. I've been killed by side Torso being cored several times when I was running the XL, mostly the right torso with the Missile hardpoints. Was enough to make me switch my build at least. People also kinda expect this mech to have an XL since it comes stock with one.

But as with anything YMMV.

Edited by Kiryn, 04 April 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#28 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

I just have a different playstyle I guess. Anyone who has seen me pilot a SDR or TBT can attest to my hatred of gravity.

#29 Madwill

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

XL330
15DHS 1.51 HE
5/5JJ

i dropped the XL for Endo and a Std engine because i was losing my side torsos. i've had several fights where i had lost both side torsos where i was still able to cap or use my mech as a shield to protect others using the Std. also, i swapped out the gauss for 2x AC5's and never looked back.
here is my current set up:
with 4 jj's-
Endo
Std 280
558 Armor
double heat sinks
AC5 x2 w/ 3T ammo
ML x3
LRM 15 w/ 2T ammo
SRM 6 w/ 1T ammo

the non-JJ standard version swaps out the 3 ML for 2 LL and one more heat sink.
the non-JJ brawler version swaps out the LRM 15 and 3 ML for another SRM 6 and 2 LPL.

Edited by Madwill, 04 April 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#30 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

How effective are MLs?

I run 3 LLs and it will be really hard for me to give up that 27 pts of pinpoint damage.

Edited by NRP, 04 April 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#31 Madwill

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostNRP, on 04 April 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

How effective are MLs?

I run 3 LLs and it will be really hard for me to give up that 27 pts of pinpoint damage.

for close in brawling 15 pts that cycle faster and generate far less heat i think the 3 ML are better, but, i do run 2 LL when i want more versatility. also, the weight savings of 3 ML allows me to upgrade my missle load out.

#32 Kiryn

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostMadwill, on 04 April 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

for close in brawling 15 pts that cycle faster and generate far less heat i think the 3 ML are better, but, i do run 2 LL when i want more versatility. also, the weight savings of 3 ML allows me to upgrade my missle load out.

Pretty much this, and 3 LL's force the XL engine for me, so it's a question of firepower vs survivability.

#33 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

I run a STD300 with gauss + 3 LLs + 2 SRM4s, and it works pretty well. After reading some other posts, I agree the JJ ability is this mech's distinguishing feature, so I guess I should give them a serious try. Not quite sure how to do though without too much sacrifice.

#34 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostNRP, on 04 April 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

I run a STD300 with gauss + 3 LLs + 2 SRM4s, and it works pretty well. After reading some other posts, I agree the JJ ability is this mech's distinguishing feature, so I guess I should give them a serious try. Not quite sure how to do though without too much sacrifice.

I just dumped the missiles - that might just be my preference of 2 weapon systems though.

#35 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

What is minimum number of JJs? Do I need all 5?

#36 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

You can also swap the Gauss +1t of ammo for 2x AC/5s.
Same damage/shot as an AC/10 but with lower heat/shot, higher range, and a higher DPS than gauss or AC/10.

I agree UAC/5s are better, but it can't fit 2 and going for UAC/5+AC/5 gives ammo issues.

Edited by One Medic Army, 04 April 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#37 Madwill

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostNRP, on 04 April 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

What is minimum number of JJs? Do I need all 5?

i run 4 jj, but, you might get away with 3.

#38 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostMadwill, on 04 April 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

i run 4 jj, but, you might get away with 3.

A fifth jet, however, is noticeable. Makes mid air shots more stable, since you are in the air long enough to transition out of the shake and still have more than half a second to have a stable aim and fire. It is a potent, though clumsy, poptart, and the jets give it some positional and maneuverability advantages. I absolutely adore the mech.

That is, except for the paint job. Ugh.

#39 BVRCWolf

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNorth West

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Love this Mech, it is defiantly my favorite. I have the Gauss and 1-LPL, 2-ML, 2-ASRM6. Full Armour and a 330XL engine. I only run 3 jj and they work ok, sometimes I miss the 4th.

Great setup and a lot of fun

#40 Strucker

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationTroll City

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

The engine is the biggest question alot of players seem to have in their builds.

Personally I don't think there is much to dissuade players from using an XL in the HM for the simple reasons that:
1. there are no major torso fitting restrictions ie - there is no need for 10+ slots for a torso mounted AC20;
2. chances are if you've lost your side torso your pretty much done for anyways as your center is probably very weak as well, and you may have lost all your remaining firepower so is it really worth it not to blow up for an extra 3 seconds?;
3. fitting an XL may allow you to boost your initial damage and bolstering more firepower may be more beneficial in the longrun, there are also positive implications to having increased mobility (60+km/h HM).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users