Heavy Metal Review

62 replies to this topic

#41 Demesio

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Have they made it where we can repaint this mech. I think I would like to get this mech but I can't stand the paint.

#42 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

The color isn't that bad. I've seen far worse custom paint jobs.

#43 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

I think I've found my (next) true love. I just got the Heavy Metal today and I've been having some good luck with it. I'm running it very simply with just 3 Large Lasers and a Gauss Rifle (3t ammo). I stuffed a XL 300 in there, maxed the armor, and kept 4 of the 5 jumpjets. I just had a pretty amazing match with it, too.

Posted Image

It really shocked me that 3 Large Lasers and 1 Gauss Rifle could dish out so much hurt. Granted, it was nearly a perfect match for me. I seemed to be in just the right spot at the right time to strike at the enemy Mechs from a decent range. Still, I think that's my highest damage total to date (well, if you don't count the recent LRMpocalypse). I actually ran through all 3 tons of ammo for the Gauss Rifle, which is something that happens very rarely. It did run out right at the end, though.

I was saving up my C-bills to buy my third Jagermech variant, but now I'm very close to just dropping that cash on a XL 330 engine and Endo-steel upgrade for my Heavy Metal.

#44 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Nice!

With Endo, you can run a gauss, 3 LLs, 3 JJ and a STD300, or drop the JJs for 2 SRM4s.

#45 Aethos

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

this thing is OP as ****. kinda wondering why they still haven't released the cbill version. Oh yeah $$$.

#46 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

the head speakers volume is set to 1, pls turn it up to 11.

#47 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostNRP, on 04 April 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Nice!

With Endo, you can run a gauss, 3 LLs, 3 JJ and a STD300, or drop the JJs for 2 SRM4s.

I tried it for a little bit with 2 SRM4s, but my initial reaction was that it didn't mesh well for me. It really dropped my heat efficiency to squeeze those in there, plus I was tending to play at range anyway so the SRMs were frequently unusable. Granted, I only played like 2 or 3 matches that way :P I am going to give them another shot, though. I'm keeping the XL300 and dropping down to 2 JJs to put in 2 SRM4s with 1 ton of ammo (that's only 12 shots, but if I continue to play mostly at range I might be able to make it last). My heat efficiency has dropped to 1.33 (was previously 1.52, I had stripped a little bit of armor for an extra DHS).

I'm going to give it a spin like this. I'm really interested to see how the 2 JJs perform compared to the 4 I had in it before. I had been doing a little bit of poptarting (not too much, honest!) and I want to see if the reduction in JJs kills that or not.

#48 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

if youre gonna pop tard go full tard, G rifle and 3 er ppcs. who cares if you shut down youll still fall back into place too cool....

#49 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 04 April 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

if youre gonna pop tard go full tard, G rifle and 3 er ppcs. who cares if you shut down youll still fall back into place too cool....

Hand Actuator.

#50 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 04 April 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

#51 The Captain

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

I was inspired by OP to bump up from the stock XL275 to the largest engine i could (XL320 from my Flame), drop my LRM20+Artemis and Tag for 5JJ's, and upgrade from 2 to 3xLL.

This build is working very well for me... the 5JJ's really add to the maneuverability!

I was enjoying having the indirect power of the LRM's... but the extra speed and maneuverability you get from the jets is really spectacular in a fight. Best match so far after the upgrade, I was legged by a raven towards the end. I was still able to turn in place using the jump jets... and spun around and headshot him with the gauss for a kill. With the 275 and no jets I would have been dead right away. A good enough reason for me to keep the build!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9644d0f0f2b8eef

I prefer this to my Atlas-RS with standard 325, gauss and 4xLL mainly due to the maneuverability and arm mounted gauss.

...and kill music. :P

#52 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

went the 3x LL 1x Gauss 2x SRM4 xtra tonnage to gauss ammo and cut the jj to 3.
Really enjoying it. pinpoint damage with gauss and LL is amazing srm4s just add to the cake and help with pesky lights.
Kills coming very easy now against mediums and heavies, atlas still cant toe to toe with but cant have everything lol.

Do agree the srm's can tip u over with heat but ive just gotta learn to keep it on the down low.

#53 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'm looking forward to the rest of the Highlanders. First the Jager, now this. PGI is kicking out some nice mechs.

#54 Drehl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Can someone please post some pics of the different models with different ballistics?

Does the model change when you put in a LL or PPC instead of the MLs (if it does .. same request for energy weapons)?

#55 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostDrehl, on 06 April 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

Can someone please post some pics of the different models with different ballistics?

Does the model change when you put in a LL or PPC instead of the MLs (if it does .. same request for energy weapons)?

The ballistics change, unique barrels and it'll put on 2 barrels for 2 guns.
Missile hardpoints change tube numbers.

After checking in mechlab:
Yes, it only uses the laser lenses for lasers, PPCs get huge*** PPC lenses which protrude from the box above/below.

#56 stemnin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

View PostDrehl, on 06 April 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

Oxy has all of them I think http://imgur.com/a/22u9p
from subredit

#57 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yes, the mech's appearance changes depending on your weapon loadout. It looks really cool.

#58 Atlas32

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 106 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostNRP, on 04 April 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

I run a STD300 with gauss + 3 LLs + 2 SRM4s, and it works pretty well. After reading some other posts, I agree the JJ ability is this mech's distinguishing feature, so I guess I should give them a serious try. Not quite sure how to do though without too much sacrifice.

I Use that same loadout with 3/5 JJ's and a 300XL. 3.07 K/D ratio with it with 130 games

#59 Valentyn

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I keep making a very very silly mistake of forgetting to change my ammo types when switching between SRM and SSRMs.

#60 MindSnap

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

I've really been enjoying my Heavy Metal. I decided to go with a STD engine to try and improve survivability, with infrequent benefit AKA survival after losing a side torso. Also, I don't have a large enough XL engine yet to test it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b30650b3e795c0d

3xLL, a UAC5 and 2xSSRM2

Putting a big engine in it (325 or 330) seems to be key to me. Can't wait for more highlanders so I can elite it.

Also, JJ are invaluable for maneuverability, but for almost all situations 2 have been just fine - you can jump most buildings, and can get up cliffs where it's not really high, but barely in both cases, which is all you need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users