• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 07 April 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

It's not semantics.

Yadda, Yadda..... I understand just fine, and you are spliting hairs...
Your 8 year degree (YAY) you should have been a lawyer, you sound like one.. There is nothing to argue about, and it's getting kinda sad watching people defend the term used to describe, it's painfull to watch, much like a child slowly pulling off a band-aid, not realizing that the quicker you get it over with the less painful. Call it like you see it, you have convinced yourself, and I really don't care to a large extent when people delude themselves, at that point it's pointless.. "You can lead a donkey to water, but you can't force him to drink."

The reality of the situation, is still the reality of the situation, and I see it for exactly what it is.
View MWO as a product because that is exactly what it is... It's an unfinished product, that has been brought to market and made available to anyone on planet Earth that has a computer and internet connection.
Stage 2 (beta) prototypes aren't released for the general public to purchase along with goods and services for sale.

"There was a time, when a piece of software that was in Beta meant that the application was feature complete, and the developer was simply releasing the software to a (small group) of users in order to fix any remaining bugs before releasing the app to the general public. Google changed all that a few years ago when it released GMail to the general public as a beta. To this day, it’s still a beta – even though there are millions of users. That being said, I thought it would be nice to take a look at the definition of some typical software development terms, and what they meant “back then,” and what they really mean “now.”

GMail is not Beta, but that's what they call it.... Weird huh?
So I guees definitions change to suit the needs of the entity using it.
Beta

Back then:
  • Application is released to a small control group of users.
  • Features and user interface are complete.
  • A time-frame for the beta is set.
  • Bugs are reported by users to the developer.
  • The developer is busy fixing any remaining bugs, or visual imperfections in the interface.
Now:
  • Application is released to the entire world. Everyone on the planet downloads the heavily-hyped application and begin using it in their every-day work.
  • The application is FREE – as in: if it doesn’t work, (it’s not our problem because you didn’t pay for it.) <-- Uh Oh :P
  • Beta time drags on for months, or even years.
  • The developer begins adding this feature and that because a single person said “they would buy it, if only it had…”
YUP, defiinitions change to suit the situation huh...

"The application is FREE – as in: if it doesn’t work, (it’s not our problem because you didn’t pay for it.)"
Uh Oh :D

Edited by Odins Fist, 07 April 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#102 Forestal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostPsikez, on 07 April 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

so...what phase of beta are we in again? Theres a lot of dissenting opinion in here :P
The phase where they change directions and regress into an alpha...

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users