I Use A Joystick In My Left Hand And A Mouse In My Right. People Say It "gimps" Me... How?

74 replies to this topic

#1 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

Ok, so when ever I make a thread, or a post that relates to controls, or how I have my setup I always get ridaculed and made fun of over the fact that I use a Joystick and mouse.

It always derails my threads due to everyone only wanting to talk about how I am gimping myself by using it. I get so many insults, yet no one ever tells me WHY.

Why does using a joystick with my left hand, and my mouse in my right hand GIMP ME, or screw myself over?

Why does so many people want to insult my intelligence for wanting to use such a set up?

Can someone please tell me?

Here is my exact set up.

My mouse acts just like it usually does, moving the torso, arms reticule and firing weapon groups 1 and 2.

but instead of a keyboard I use one of these
Posted Image

pushing the stick left and right turns the legs.
Pushing the stick up and down does nothing.

The top middle buttons I make throttle up and down.
The top right button is next target, the left button is fire missiles (or weapon group 3)
the trigger is jumpjets, or fire weapon group 4 (depends what mech I am in)

On the base I have heat vision and night vision, as well as ecm mode, power, and override.

I find this way of playing EXTREMELY fun, and engaging, and makes me feel like I am actually piloting a mech.

So many people bash me saying "If you want to gimp yourself that's fine, but I'm all about winning"

So someone please explain, how does using a keyboard allow you to have an easier time playing? Is it that there is more keys available to your fingers?

Or is it that their is just an incredible amount of people in these forums who do nothing but go into peoples threads, and make posts that are completely unproductive to the OP, add nothing to the conversation, and just try and take anything they can from the OP to troll, insult or derail the conversation??

This thread is not meant to talk about the people that insult! It is meant to talk about why having a joystick in the left hand instead of a keyboard may gimp! I honestly don't care when others tell me I suck for using a joystick. Like I always tell them, if I could 1v1 challenge you I would, but I can't so their is no need in arguing skill"

Ok, now when ever anyone wants to try and derail my threads that have anything to do with joysticks I will polity tell them to come here and explain why it gimps me instead of derailing my other ******** threads.

Edited by slimebucket, 04 April 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#2 cyberFluke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

I use one of these in my left hand:
Posted Image

Do yourself a favour and make the forward/backward motion control your throttle, this gives you far more responsive control of your mech's speed. Secondly, ignore the clueless tools that say you're gimping yourself, they're wrong, just plain wrong.

#3 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

I'm all for playing the way you have the most fun with. But if you're concerned about getting criticism over using a joystick you could just, you know, not mention the fact that you use a joystick?

Edited by Signal27, 04 April 2013 - 03:16 AM.

#4 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

Just agree that you run a very fun to play and a very effective setup.
Maybe people are just pissed because with an IQ=room temperature they do not understand what you are doing? Or they maybe lack the motor skills to properly use their left hand and cannot imagine that other people are able to use it?

#5 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

If it works for you, screw what other people think. It's amazing how universal a law that is in gaming generally, not just this one and not just with your choice of control method.

Edited by James DeGriz, 04 April 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#6 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostSignal27, on 04 April 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

I'm all for playing the way you have the most fun with. But if you're concerned about getting criticism over using a joystick you could just, you know, not mention the fact that you use a joystick?

this is a beta.

So some times bugs arise.

So I make a post about my problem. My problem only happens on my joystick, NOT ON the keyboard.

So I HAVE to say its my joystick.

So then the post gets filled with people bashing me about how I suck. 3 pages of insults so I tell them how lame they are being insulting me.. I made 1 post that wasn't even rude, or used any swears or was directed at any one person and my thread gets locked.

I just want to submit bugs, or figure out how to get my game working, not deal with getting insulted and having to be fearful of telling people I use a joystick.

Also I am not concerned with criticism at all. If it improves me I WELCOME IT.

My point is, people tell me it sucks and gimps me, but THEY DO NOT EVER SAY WHY. Thats why I am asking.

#7 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

View PostcyberFluke, on 04 April 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

Posted Image

Do yourself a favour and make the forward/backward motion control your throttle, this gives you far more responsive control of your mech's speed. Secondly, ignore the clueless tools that say you're gimping yourself, they're wrong, just plain wrong.

That is a superb looking bit of kit!

#8 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

this is a beta.

So I make a post about my problem. My problem only happens on my joystick, NOT ON the keyboard.

Understandable then. Carry on.

So then the post gets filled with people bashing me about how I suck. 3 pages of insults so I tell them how lame they are being insulting me.. I made 1 post that wasn't even rude, or used any swears or was directed at any one person and my thread gets locked.

I just want to submit bugs, or figure out how to get my game working, not deal with getting insulted and having to be fearful of telling people I use a joystick.

My point is, people tell me it sucks and gimps me, but THEY DO NOT EVER SAY WHY. Thats why I am asking.

Dude, some people just like to troll and insult. You should grow thicker skin. Someone tells you that you suck, just give them the finger and get on with your life. Or just flat out ignore them. Does your life really hinge on the word of complete strangers on the internet who will immediately forget you by tomorrow?

#9 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

View PostcyberFluke, on 04 April 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

Posted Image

When I first started playing I tried that, and I do admit at first it was better, and more engaging, but the more I used it the more it annoyed me.

I was ALWAYS holding the stick forward. especially in my atlas.. ALWAYs. it became a strain on my wrist, and make it annoying to do torso twisting maneuvers as I cant easily swing left to right or right to left, but I have to hold it forward or backwards as well. I found placing the throttle W AND S like keys on the top of the stick made it extremely easy to change throttle from fullspeed ahead to full reverse, all while turning the same way, then quickly spinning the torso around the other way right during that step the mech takes when going from forward speed to reverse speed, and getting a **** ton of blasts off onto a mech who THOUGHT he was in my blind hard to get at spot.

#10 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostSignal27, on 04 April 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Understandable then. Carry on.

Dude, some people just like to troll and insult. You should grow thicker skin. Someone tells you that you suck, just give them the finger and get on with your life. Or just flat out ignore them. Does your life really hinge on the word of complete strangers on the internet who will immediately forget you by tomorrow?

kk im'a stop this derailment right here.

The point of this tread is not to complain and QQ about people who insult. Sure maybe I vented a little bit, but that is not the point. I don't care what they think. I was jsut upset that they keep filling my threads every time I mention I use a joystick...

But the fact is, many people are saying "Joystick in the left hand gimps you" and I don't understand how.

I wanted opinions on how that might be, or IF their is no real reasons then I guess the only logical explication is that they are trolls insulting for the sake of trolling. If thats the case, which it really seems like it is, then awesome. I just assumed due to the ammount of people saying it, that there was something I was missing

But seriously, I doubt it's gimping me at all... I got my friend mike to play with a keyboard and mouse for his first time ever. He got owned so bad. I hooked up my joystick and let him try his second game with the same mech. He got 4 kills and 3 assists and 600 damage...

Edited by slimebucket, 04 April 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#11 Cold Macaroni

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSeoul

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

kk im'a stop this derailment right here.

The point of this tread is not to complain and QQ about people who insult. Sure maybe I vented a little bit, but that is not the point. I don't care what they think. I was jsut upset that they keep filling my threads every time I mention I use a joystick...

But the fact is, many people are saying "Joystick in the left hand gimps you" and I don't understand how.

I wanted opinions on how that might be, or IF their is no real reasons then I guess the only logical explication is that they are trolls insulting for the sake of trolling. If thats the case, which it really seems like it is, then awesome. I just assumed due to the ammount of people saying it, that there was something I was missing

But seriously, I doubt it's gimping me at all... I got my friend mike to play with a keyboard and mouse for his first time ever. He got owned so bad. I hooked up my joystick and let him try his second game with the same mech. He got 4 kills and 3 assists and 600 damage...

I not know man, control schemes are a lot like mechs in as much as the best one is the one you whoop-butt with. I'm sure you could adapt to a keyboard fairly quickly, but why? I don't see any reason it should gimp you. Don't look to others to validate yourself.... That sounded far more "zen" than intended.

#12 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

this is a beta.

Then email it to support instead of posting it.

Edit: most people assume your using it for aiming as well (which you aren't, but that another story) which to the community is like bringing an xbox controller to cod. Try that and see what happens

Edited by Ralgas, 04 April 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#13 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

Possibly your detractors missed that PGI put in new joystick code a few patches back. Before that, anyone that was using a joystick (especially in lieu of a mouse) were objectively gimping themselves, since the controls were all digital.

These days, and with the new joystick code, one might even argue that using a keyboard is gimping oneself since turning with keyboard keys is digital, while it's analog using a joystick.

#14 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

View PostRalgas, on 04 April 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

Then email it to support instead of posting it.

Edit: most people assume your using it for aiming as well (which you aren't, but that another story) which to the community is like bringing an xbox controller to cod. Try that and see what happens

rofl out of my whole life of gaming, do you know how much help I have ever gotten from support teams from gaming companies?

None what so ever, and if I do ,its a month later. LOL E-mail support for help instead.. lol yeah they probably would msg me some copy past ******** that has nothing to do with my problem.

#15 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

It's closer to how the in-game pilot does it, and if it works for you then who cares.

#16 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

View Poststjobe, on 04 April 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

Possibly your detractors missed that PGI put in new joystick code a few patches back. Before that, anyone that was using a joystick (especially in lieu of a mouse) were objectively gimping themselves, since the controls were all digital.

These days, and with the new joystick code, one might even argue that using a keyboard is gimping oneself since turning with keyboard keys is digital, while it's analog using a joystick.

man you eccho the exact reason I had in my head of why I thought joystick for torso twisting would be better!

Don't look to others to validate yourself....
I am not, I just figured with the amount of people saying it gimps me I might be missing something. The thread title is not "why do people qq about joysticks" it is "People say it gimps me..... How?"

#17 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

I imagine what is actually being said is "Joystick gimps you" - based on using the joystick to aim, as is common in a lot of sim type games (which this one looks like to some people). The fact is that using a joystick to aim does gimp you because it's objectively inferior to mouse aiming. And as stjobe pointed out, until analogue movement was put in, using it to steer was also objectively inferior, although that's no longer true.

#18 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

**** off with your posts about you being all high and mighty, giving me advice to not care what others think about me.

I don't ******* care.

I just want to know why would someone say a joystick gimps me.

Stop trying to derail the thread by going into e-therapi est mode and trying to comfort me or something, and be a figure that has to explain about becoming a man, and not caring about others opinions!

Just like in school when people tell you "just ignore bully's don't care what they say, quit trying to validate yourself by them"

Sure i can ignore them, but what if what they are saying is valid and I should be listening? What if I am the one who is wrong, and they are not a bully, I am the one thats being a **** tard??

I posted asking about why a joystick may gimp, and if it doesn't then a simple "joystick doesn't gimp in my opinion, there is just a lot of trolls everyone on the net u lunk head! You should know this by now, no matter where on the net you go, you cannot escape the troll!" would survice.

Edited by slimebucket, 04 April 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#19 ApheX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 154 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

Don't listen to them dude. If your setup works for you, then thats all that matters. If they can't understand and use it as an excuse to have a go at you, then ignore them. Why does it matter to them how you play the game control wise. idiots.

#20 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 04 April 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

I imagine what is actually being said is "Joystick gimps you" - based on using the joystick to aim, as is common in a lot of sim type games (which this one looks like to some people). The fact is that using a joystick to aim does gimp you because it's objectively inferior to mouse aiming. And as stjobe pointed out, until analogue movement was put in, using it to steer was also objectively inferior, although that's no longer true.

Thank you for your time you spent on your reply.

I am pretty sure most people who are insulting me and telling me it gimps me know straight up I am not using it for aim, but are jsut trying to troll me. Or else they are so dense they get the idea I am using it for aim, and nothing I say changes that idea..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users