The Wang

29 replies to this topic

#1 Duckwalk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

With the buff to Wang engine size and nerf to SRM's the AC20 Wang incidentally became a lot more useful.

As much as I used to hate it and constantly bitched about it I've gotta admit, its pretty nasty these days.

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

I enjoy pulling the Bobbit Maneuver on any wang I see someone whipping out in game. (shooting off the gun arm)

#3 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostDuckwalk, on 04 April 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

With the buff to Wang engine size and nerf to SRM's the AC20 Wang incidentally became a lot more useful.

As much as I used to hate it and constantly bitched about it I've gotta admit, its pretty nasty these days.

But you have to take an XL engine to take real advantage of the engine size, and that ruins the Cent's zombie appeal. :rolleyes:

#4 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

what I like about the Yen-Lo is the # of module slots it has

#5 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostTexas Merc, on 04 April 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

what I like about the Yen-Lo is the # of module slots it has

Lots of mechs have 2 slots...

#6 Duckwalk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostDavers, on 04 April 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

But you have to take an XL engine to take real advantage of the engine size, and that ruins the Cent's zombie appeal. :rolleyes:

XL is always a liability but currently a fast Wang (100kph) with an AC20 is arguably one of the better backstabbers (only really viable role for mediums). Plus the extra weight allows you to stack a bunch of extra AC20 rounds. Enough that you can essentially fire from 600ish meters and not worry about wasting precious ammo.

#7 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Wang has 4 module slots. If you are piloting a Wang come in behind a Stalker or Atlas so that it tanks for you. Otherwise, let there be plenty of targets for the opponents to shoot at. Your AC20 arm is a less attractive target if there is a AC40 Jager running around.

Posted Image

#8 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostDavers, on 04 April 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Wang has no zombie appeal, due to the arm.

#9 deforce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 616 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

all i want for Christmas is the wang's ballistic hardpoint moved to the torso.

when i see a wang i blow off the left arm and yeah let him shoot 2 ML's the rest of the match.

#10 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 04 April 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Wang has no zombie appeal, due to the arm.

Thought the whole 'zombie' thing meant it could lose both arms and side torsos and still have fight left in it. In your definition zombie mechs still have their arms?

#11 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostDavers, on 04 April 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Thought the whole 'zombie' thing meant it could lose both arms and side torsos and still have fight left in it. In your definition zombie mechs still have their arms?

The other Centurions all have some side-torso missiles as well, so yes you can be down to 2medlas in CT, but you can also be down one side torso and still have your entire (or nearly your entire) weapons payload.

#12 Donnie Silveray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

I frequently pilot a YLW and yes, loosing the arm is probably the worst thing that can happen. I've been having a lot of success in it, not terribly sure why. The AC20 arm is very good at training me to make every shot count at almost all angles.... except for up, seems to have issues hitting a target above me, going too high. Either way, if you think about it, the Wang should by all intents and purposes be fairly scary if built well. My Wang has DHS, ES, FF Armor and a larger STD engine. I would go XL but I weighed in that I'd do more if I can spare my cannon arm by letting my left arm and torso be shields. 82kph with speed tweak isn't too bad, you're faster than stock mediums and most heavies and you don't get completely left in the dust by lights without a short chase. Lastly, despite the lack of a lower acuator, being able to pivot that AC20 up and down like that basically means you can get the drop on foes or shoot up at them. That's an advantage the Hunchy lacks, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's viable.... if terribly specialized.

Again, loosing that arm early game, and you're just a pile of meat. Just do what Hunch pilots do, save that body part at all costs. The Wang can be an absolute nightmare against certain mechs with that much bang, I've shot up Atlai who made the mistake of ignoring the crazy Wang behind them shooting up their rear armor. Or the SplatCat getting the pilot blown to chuncks by a headshot at 50m. Plus... those 3 SRM6 Cents get real angry when I blow off their racks outside of their range.

Edited by Donnie Silveray, 04 April 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#13 Jack Lowe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationStaten Island, NY

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

I was always partial to the Cent. the wang in particular. I admit when the LRM/SRM's were doing more damage than dual AC20's to the face I put it away. I dusted it off and have it running around again. Lovely skirmishing mech. Not a horrible sniper, and and AC20 in the arm. It role was a tad narrow before as was mentioned, even with some real imagination it is rather limited. It's starting to open up a little more now, and it can be very, very nasty once u learn how to use it on the battlefield. People say just shoot the arm off, well that's part of the trick. Either pick a target that's occupied with something else and snipe it's weak spot, u either kill it or make it an easy kill for ur team mate, or use your left arm and make sure u got cover close at hand. High battlefield awareness is a must. I've watched that 20 crit and go straight thru the side torso and vaporize the CT on a heavy mech a few times, I'm still undecided whether that or watching that annoying little light mech explode with a well placed round makes me smile more.When they get the hit detection patch in for ballistics it should make the wang even nastier. Still hate it when I watch that round go home and nothing happens. Anyway hope u have fun playin with ur wang. See ya out there

Edited by Jack Lowe, 04 April 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#14 Smk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

An armless wang aint much of a wang. I love this mech. I also love its name.

#15 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostSmk, on 04 April 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

An armless wang aint much of a wang. I love this mech. I also love its name.

You would think that Wang jokes would have gotten old by now, but no. Wang jokes keep coming and coming, harder and faster then ever before. :rolleyes:

#16 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

It has two *** lasers without the arm. Useless zombie. Just put an XL in there and go fast.

#17 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

YLW mastered has 4 module slots

#18 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

It's as playable as a Medium 'Mech can be in these days of weight mismatching, but it still cannot quite compare to the lost glory of 3x ASRM6 CN9-A buillds when it comes to brawling.
Some people favor Cicada builds with lasers instead, due to HSR.

Edited by Lorcan Lladd, 04 April 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#19 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostDuckwalk, on 04 April 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Would help if ballistics always registered on hit. Then it would be a god among men. It's damn hard to aim that arm ballistic and when your shots do no damage it sucks. Until then I'm practicing with PPC CN9-AL, waiting for my YLW to be reborn in fire.

Oh, and I'm totally not going to repaint my YLW when hero custom paint comes out.

Edited by Fate 6, 04 April 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#20 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

I can't find my old list of modified-for-mwo shadow warrior quotes from the beta forums :P.

Edited by Sephlock, 04 April 2013 - 04:09 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users