3028 Only Server?

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Battle Tech Eras (244 member(s) have cast votes)

I would play on a 3028 only Server with no Star League / 3050 / Clan tech

1. Yes (167 votes [68.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.44%

2. No (77 votes [31.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mandella

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

I personally think that the advent of lost tech and clan tech later destroyed a lot of the inherent tactics used in BT. Pulse Lasers basically negated the movement modifiers of the shooter, and ER Lasers made the range game useless.

So are there people out there who would play, if MWO offered a server with only 3028 Technology and mechs? So no Star League Tech, not 3050, not clans?

#2 Lt muffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Some Star League tech I approve of, it is just the clan tech that rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by Lt muffins, 03 June 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#3 akaChrisHimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 292 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yup, party like it's 3025.

#4 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

I certainly wouldn't ONLY play in 3025 servers, but I would probably check them out at least.

I don't really see too much problem with allowing such rules modifications, other than perhaps fragmenting the community.

#5 Rot Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

There is certainly a market for 3025'ish succession wars period, but it would double the work for the dev team to run two timelines at the same time.

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

No Ravens, no Cataphracts... no fun. ;)

#7 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Tournaments yes, but whole servers no. Perhaps when there are more players that they know what to do with then they can divide the base to fit people's taste.

Edited by ManDaisy, 03 June 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#8 GreyTemplar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

I love the idea of being able to Play 3028 tech!! Bring in my wolfhound and I'd be happy!

#9 HighlandWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

I would certainly be very interested in a only 3025 server, i'd probably split my time between that and a later era server

#10 Dovoid

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

i'd probly play on both

#11 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

splitting the community can only hurt the game. I understand (i think) the reasons you want to play before the clans: (these are just guesses so I apologize if im being assumptive) you believe the game was more balanced, it had a richer experience, etc. I understand this cause I had the same reaction when the dark age time line came out and they "ruined" my faction. (of course lots of us still don't like it and I understand that)

But after a while I realized I couldn't get hung up on the "past" and actually learned to love it again. Cause the story moves on and continues. It may not always continue in the manner you we want, but more importantly it can't stay the same. And that's a plus in my book. We all are uncomfortable with change at some level. Maybe you liked it when it was "simpler" or wanted it to stay a more "stock" experience. Maybe you believe you it had more depth that way.

We can argue back and forth about when the best time period is/was for battletech. And we will likely disagree. But I will respect and love you for the battletech brother that you are. But to push for an idea that will split the community and hurt it is selfish.

#12 signum79

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

....fanboys

#13 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 June 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

No Ravens, no Cataphracts... no fun. ;)

They had 3025-era versions. The stats are printed in the original House Liao sourcebook.

#14 5150warpig

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

would make it very interesting to have 2 completly differnt timelines to play

#15 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

I would /pay/ for 3025 only server use.

#16 Forscythe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

It would be my server of choice if they were to make it. To me when clan tech came out all mechs seemed to lose their unique feel.

Don't get me wrong though I loved my Shadowcat more than anything but I would give it up to play in 3028 tech level.

Edited by Forscythe, 03 June 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#17 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostMax Liao, on 03 June 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

They had 3025-era versions. The stats are printed in the original House Liao sourcebook.

And the Raven in particular had to either be a completely different 'Mech, or have a different set of rules for its then-experimental technology.

A 3025 server might be a good idea once more 'Mechs are out, but considering the adjustments that would have to be made (fewer variants, limited number of chassis), I would rather the devs put their energy into making things that are more universally available.

Once there's enough 'Mechs in game to support a low-tech server, then I wouldn't have a problem with it, though I likely wouldn't play.

#18 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm all for (after the game becomes well established and rooted) a Star League era Expansion

#19 Thorn Blackwell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

I would play there ... I wouldn't play there exclusively, but I think it would be fun to play. I'd actually like to see storyline missions for cooperative play up to the uniting of the Federated Commonwealth. I'd actually like to have some say in how and if that unification actually comes to pass. Since Star League era tech does exist on a very limited basis, they could be rare rewards. The problem is the discovery of Star League caches begins in 3025 during the Galtor Campaign, and comes to a head in 3028 when the Grey Death Legion finds the Helm Memory Core. From that moment on an all-out search of coreward systems finds a number of Star League caches and tech factories gear up to reproduce the technology. Comstar also has a huge hoard of SL tech so it is just a matter of time before its use is widespread.

It's still a good idea, and a fun idea that the Devs may see as a way to provide an experience that some people will prefer.

#20 Chacatumbi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

no mad cat makes me a sad panda

oh and no erPPCs? no thanks ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users